Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Agreed. A truly ugly vehicle back in 1997 now has rather sharp looks. How's that for a surprising turn of events? I think the Prelude has always had some surprisingly good lines. The 4th gens look very aggressive; not as aggressive as a Dodge Stealth or similar-era Camaro/Firebird, but much more aggressive than the comparable Integra, Mustang or Celica, for example. The 3rd gens look like upright NSXs. Even the 2nd gen cars look relatively modern for what was a mid-80s car.

Honda does not receive enough credit for its styling accomplishments.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    Well, I finally got my car back on Thursday night and it was well worth the wait. I ended up bargaining with the service advisor and got a little more than $200 knocked off the suspension job, plus they threw in the oil change (with Mobil 1 Synthetic), tire rotation, & alignment. The car drives better than new. The steering is actually a little heavier than I remember (unless I just got used to driving that DX Accord Sedan...not). I love it!

I was a huge fan of the radical styling of the 4th gen and it took me a year or 2 to warm up to the 5th gen styling.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

What's the best way to clean floormats? After a long winter, mine need some help. Would home washer/dryer work? Hmmm....
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    You could always steam clean them. Putting them in a clothes washer would work, but doing that might gunk up the machine. I don't think I'd try them in the dryer, though.

Year-round, I've been using heavy rubber mats from http://www.weathertech.com for 8 years, and they keep the factory mats looking brand new. Definately worth the $.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    hi everyone. 2001 Prelude, only 3k miles on it. it is an automatic. listed at $19k.

good deal? how are the automatics in the Prelude? are they reliable, or do they have the Acura auto, in which case people should run screaming...

should a low mileage, but two year old Prelude, worry anyone? how could it have such low miles?
    Unless you absolutely must have the auto, I'd pass on this car.

The Prelude autobox is well-known for being troublesome, and Honda has gone so far as to extend the warranty on it (a real rarity for Honda). Seems the problem stems from a torque converter that isn't strong enough to deal with the loads placed on it by the SportShift feature.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about an auto Prelude with low miles than I would about a MT Prelude with average or high miles (like mine).

Sorry for the bad news. The Prelude is a great car, but you don't want to buy a headache.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    thanks. exactly what i needed to know! i will keep looking around.
    Also, the Prelude is much more fun with a manual. The automatic really saps engine power.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    Yeah, I think I would pass on that too. Similar to the "too good to be true" thing. With only 3k miles, you've probably got all kinds of seals that haven't seen lubrication for months and are drying out.
  • kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    Himiler-
    I own a '98 SS Prelude and, although it has performed flawlessly so far, I am concerned after reading your post. I was not aware that the transmission warranty was extended. Do you know how long it is and whether it applies to '98's? Thanks.

Ken
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    I wouldn't worry about your tranny, the recall only affects the 2000-2001 Preludes. Mine is a 99, and so far, with 39,000 miles, its as perfect as new. I would recommend getting the tranny serviced at 30,000 mile intervals instead of the factory recommended interval. Just a cheap way to safeguard against what can be a much more expensive problem.

BTW - does anyone know the details of the ignition switch recall? I just found out that my car is part of that recall and wanted to know what it included.
    Ok, 5th gen drivers--what seat height setting do you use? All the way down? All the way up? Somewhere in between?
    linard -- check with your dealer for full info

sphinx -- all the way down, dude! And the seatback in the full upright position.
  • cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    Up as high as it goes without constantly bumping my head on the roof.

since I've been driving this car, I have really noticed the minivan/SUV infestation on the roads. Just try driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood with a huge monster in front of you... good luck checking out those street signs.

Honestly... driving this car, I feel so... so.... SHORT!
    There have been questions about the SS tranny's long term durability documented on Preludeopnline.com. I'd say look for another car. My '01 has 4K miles on it and there are no ill side affects. But I'd say look for a manual transmission. That's my skewed view.

Sphinx99: The weathertech mats are great. I've got them for my car. They really keep the factory mats looking good. My Dad's been using them for years. Get your originals steam cleaned. If they're really bad, you can purchase another set (after the wedding) from either manchesterhonda.com or handaaccessories.com for about $40 or so.

I drive with the bottom of the seat all the way down with the back of the seat reclined. I'd like to drive with it straight up, but then my head would be on the headliner. I'm 5'11".

And finally I'm merging onto the information super highway once again with the VTEC cam screaming on my new DELL computer (cable modem to come on Sunday). I want to get a DOHC VTEC sticker to put next to the Intel Inside sticker on the front of my computer. I'll be posting regularly again.

For now, we're getting between 1 and 2 FEET of snow dumped on us here in NYC.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The deep snow (20") we had in the city is not friendly conditions for a car like the Prelude with low ground clearance. I actually stuck my car in a garage from Sunday afternoon until Wednesday morning (at the low, low cost of ONLY $105). So until the snow melts (the streets are plowed, but snow is piled where street parking should be), I'm leaving the Prelude at my parents' house for a few days and am going to drive my sister's Jetta. It's a VR6 w/ leather and heated seats, but an Automatic though (blech!)

How is the weather out there? We're hearing the stories here in Detroit, which somehow got all of the cold but none of the white stuff.

I stopped by a gas station on the way home and a guy next to me struck up conversation about the car. It was pretty cool, he went on at length about the '91 ABS he used to have, what a great car Preludes are, and how he hopes to get a used '99 or '00 soon. It was a cool feeling. I guess it's been a year and a half or so since Honda killed the Prelude, and yet I still get questions and comments about it. It's not unusual for me to park the car, enter a restaurant with my wife-in-three-days (!!), get a window seat, and hear some young high school girl behind me with her parents asking them if they would buy her a silver car like the one that's parked out front. It never fails to put a smile on my face. :)

Oh, I drive with the seat lowered fully. It just feels better. I'd kill for a telescoping wheel, however.

More questions:

1. What tire pressure is everyone running at? (Me, about 32 psi.)

2. Anyone here use the STP Gas Treatment, etc., that you see at stores? Waste? Useful?
    My tires are at 33psi in the winter, and 36psi the other three seasons.

The STP treatment won't do anything for our Preludes -- we run hi-test gas, so we're already getting a big bunch of detergents. It's more useful for cars that run rich on 87 octane (like my Subaru).

Yeah, a telescoping wheel would be nice...
  • billy318tibilly318ti Member Posts: 38
    I was considerimg buying a 98 318Ti with the sports package, or 97 prelude, sh or no sh,,cant decide if its worth it or not.. But wondering what car would be a better buy. My friend owns a 95 318ti and never had a single problem with it, Just wondering if i should talk myself out of the bimmer and go with the prelude. Any suggestions?
    I was considering buying a 98 318Ti with the sports package, or 97 prelude, sh or no sh,,cant decide if its worth it or not.. But wondering what car would be a better buy. My friend owns a 95 318ti and never had a single problem with it, Just wondering if i should talk myself out of the bimmer and go with the prelude. Any suggestions?
  • kmorg2kmorg2 Member Posts: 6
    My girlfriends ignition key doesn't fit the trunk or the glovebox, so I call the dealership to see about getting one and they said it was supposed to be the same key as the ignition, i'm confused, can someone help?
    Prelude comes with regular keys and valet keys, the regular key having a black plastic handle, the valet key being gray plastic. The valet key will unluck the doors and start the car, but it won't unlock the glovebox, or open the trunk either from the inside or the outside. It also will not unlock the "lock" on the refueling door/trunk hood release next to the driver's seat.

It sounds like your girlfriend is using the valet key.
    Thanks for the info, the key is grey, and the Honda guy that I talked to(must have been someone in the wrong dept.) didn't give me anything to go on. $25 and she'll be set up with a new key.

I'm new to the Prelude scene, she got this car about 2 months ago used, it has 40,000 on it and it runs like a Tiger waiting to pounce, but she only lets me drive it occasionally because I can't keep my foot out of it, it's just too much fun!! I've had a 86 CRX and 95 Civic and driven Honda's up til about a year ago, but I never had the cash for the prelude, and really never wanted one, but driving hers is a treat. If there's anything about maintenance that I need to keep up for her other than frequent oil changes and checks and the essentials, let me know.

Thanks

Keith
    Yes, it's a great car, with many fans. :)

There aren't any real maintenance recommendations that I'm aware of. I change oil frequently (every 3k miles) and have switched to full synthetic, but otherwise that's about it. The only driving advice regards the rims - they extend a little bit out from the rubber, so it is especially easy to rub against a curb and scratch up the lips of the rims on the Prelude. Especially when driving them the way they were meant to be driven! So, pay careful attention to saying within your lane and don't get too close to the curb, or you'll scratch up your rims faster than you would on other cars.
    I never used synthetic, what type should I use,(somebody in an earlier post said mobil 1, I think), and is it that important to use synthetic and why, I was always a little scared after I put it my CRX once and it started to smell like something was burning, so I switched back, my car did have about a 100,000 on it( which I heard had something to do with it), I traded it in on the 95 civic when it had 186,000 on it and it still ran good. If the Prelude is a little different(vtec and torque and such) someone please inform me of what to do, I want this car to Run a long time trouble free for my girlfriend so I can continue to drive it, even own it one day since things are looking that direction. Thanks
    There are a couple of ways to look at it, I guess. A BMW is still a BMW, but a 318ti gets little respect from people concerned with such things.

On the other hand, a Honda is a Honda, but the the Prelude is the king of sport coupes in general. Trust me -- they really don't make 'em like they used to.

The Bimmer will give you lots of smiles on the tight & twisty stuff, but might leave you wanting on the longer drives. Keep in mind that Car and Driver did a comparo (back in '95, I think) between a 318ti Sport and an Integra GS-R (a car not exactly known for its overall refinement), and they picked the GS-R as the better of the two.

On the other side of that coin, the Prelude absolutely destroys a GS-R (I know this because I sold my GS-R for the Prelude) in the twisties, just because of its stronger, tighter structure and more sophisticated suspension. (This might be a good time to remind you of what the ti rides on: struts up front, and only three compact links in the rear. The three-link set-up was never that forgiving, as I recall.)

Not only is the Prelude a better friend on the back roads, but it's a relaxed long-haul companion, as well. It's very composed and well-mannered, thanks to the sophisticated suspension and good gear ratios.

Yes, I'm totally biased. Now go buy the Prelude.
  • chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    Ive owned my 99 Prelude for almost 2 years and there isnt a day that goes by that something doesnt impress me about it. Buy one, you will never regret it.
    Excellent Post Himiler. I think we're all a little biased on this board.

The 318ti is a nice car (afterall, a BMW). There's a guy on the 3 series board who has a the Club Sport edition, races it, and swears by it as far as reliability goes.

The 318ti (or compact as it is known in Europe) has a rear suspension that is actually quite archaic (from the E30 platform, think 1980's) compared with the Prelude's Double Wishbone setup.

Considering the Compact was pulled out of the US market in 1997 (give or take, but don't quote), you'll be able to find a newer Prelude with fewer miles on it (which would make the Prelude a more sensible used car purchase).

Personally I think the Prelude has a nicer interior layout and materials. (remember, the Compact was the low-end BMW while the Prelude was pretty high on the price end for Honda). It has more horsepower/torque then the 318ti. It makes a great highway cruiser (and himiler has almost 100K miles on his '01).

The list goes on and on, but I don't want to waste space repeating what himiler said. Bottom line, GET A PRELUDE!

I get remarks all the time on my car. Many people (outside the car world) don't even know that the Prelude has been discontinued. I always get the Thumbs up at lights from the Fast and Furious crowd of Suped up Civics and Intergras. Driving this car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

As far as oil goes, I put Mobil 1 synthetic in the car. My feeling is that if it is good enough for a factory fill for Corvettes, Porsches, and Mercedes-Benz, it is good enough for my Prelude.

The weather here is crazy. 20+ inches of snow 1 day, 1.5 inches of rain in the same week. It is reeking havoc on our already poor roads here in the NYC area. I think the potholes are going to outnumber the people her in another week or 2. Due to the somewhat major suspension/exhaust damage I did a month ago, I'm going to take it easy and use my sister's Jetta (although my manhood is challenged by it's white exterior/beige interior, automatic transmission, and sorority sticker) for maybe another week or 2 until some of the major potholes get filled.

There's a dealership (in Queens I think) that advertises (in its screamer ad) that is still has 2 (was 3 a few weeks ago) 2001 Honda S2000s in stock and "No Reasonable Offer will be refused."

Sphinx99: Good Luck with the wedding!

• shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    Since Prelude is discontinued in 2002, it seems that every new thread created here regarding Prelude is locked, while for other cars, there are tons of different thread going on. Why can not Prelude owners have more that 1 thread? Is it simply because Prelude is discontinued so Prelude owners get treated differently?

C'mon, the Integra is discontinued before prelude and there are more than 1 thread talking about them and not locked, so why is Prelude????

Do you guys think it would be nice to have different thread to talk about Prelude instead of put everything into one place?
    Thanks a lot himiler and nyccarguy. Really is a big help. I think im going to go with the prelude. Hopefully i can get a good deal on an SH, either way i'll most likely go with the prelude. Thanks again.
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    Few years ago, I was thinking of replacing my 92 lude. I tested the 325i, it did not impress me a bit. Actually, my lude performs better than that bimmer and in the end I keep my lude.
    billy, while I have a type SH (as does Sphinx99), you'll probably be able to find a better deal on a base model.

shmang: While I love the my Prelude as much as the next guy (himiler & sphinx99) on the board, it probably has to do with the low volume of posts or repetitive posts with little or no volume on other Prelude posts. There's a thread about the Prelude long term, well, you can talk about the prelude Long Term on this thread...

• phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    My 222,000 miles 92 lude failed the emission test. It costed me 160 clams to replace the catalyst converter.
    Is it a normal time for the cat to go belly up??
    Just curious, cause im going to the dealer next week.. Is the SH worth it. My brother has a 2000 prelude without the sh. Just curious about the suspension. Does it seem to stiff at some points,, cause my brothers car seems a little stiff and thats just the base model.. I tend to drive pretty aggresive when im in the mood So im debating if the sh is better suited for me.any ideas. Im looking to spend around 12-14 thousand if that helps .Really Appreciate the feedback..Thanks.
    Actually, if you tend to drive really aggressively most of the time, you're better off buying the base Prelude and getting a Quaife limited-slip dif. installed. The LSD runs ~$895 from http://www.kingmotorsports.com and any Honda shop should be willing and able to install it for you (install charges usually run anywhere from $450-700, depending on the shop).

The Quaife will give you most of the advantages of the ATTS in the SH (although you won't have the SH's second steering link), and also gives you a traction benefit on hole shots and on low-traction surfaces.

I had mine installed 5 months after I bought my car, and it has performed flawlessly. The Quaife carries a lifetime warranty, even if you use it in competition. http://www.quaifeusa.com

It's also worth noting that there is a better selection of aftermarket parts available for the base model than the SH (suspension bits in particular), just because the ATTS unit can be tricky to tune around. That was my primary consideration in choosing the base over the SH.

FYI--Not to knock the SH, but the ATTS unit is also heavy (~80lbs.), does require periodic service, and tends to give warning lights if you spin the tires alot on slippery surfaces.
    plus as I said before, a base model will be easier to find. Also, the insurance will be cheaper.

I think I'm one of the few who had the benefit of owning both -- I leased a base 5MT; when the lease was over, I stepped "up" to a Type SH. In terms of road feel, the Type SH feels only slightly stiffer. The difference is mostly imperceptible. Likewise, I honestly cannot say that the Type SH's extra weight has made it feel any slower than my old Prelude did. The Type SH does come with body-colored side skirts that, surprisingly, had an enormous visual impact on the look of the car...

Really, it's about exclusivity and ATTS. On the latter, when ATTS kicks in for those few brief seconds, the car feels like it's worth the premium. I sometimes feel that nobody believes me when I say that my SH actually seems to corner better (without losing traction) than my S2000 on tight corners. The flip side is that as I get older, I feel less and less inclined to push the car *that* hard, simply because by the time ATTS is kicking in, you're probably doubling or tripling the posted speed limit on that curve. ATTS really is useless on public roads unless you are planning to break some traffic laws.

Exclusivity has its value too I suppose. The Prelude is a relatively exclusive and unknown car in many parts of the country; here in Detroit a 5th gen is as rare as a Viper, and I get all sorts of questions about it. A Type SH is even rarer. A satin silver (only available in '01) SH is still harder to find. It's possible that there are only a couple hundred satin silver Type SHs in the world, maybe just two or three in all of Michigan. I'll pretty much never see another one on the road. I know it's silly, there's no performance or financial justification for such things, but it's still something that puts a smile on my face. In a similar vein, I've noticed that those who do know Preludes regard Type SHs a bit differently... with the base, you never know whether one on the road is a SS or 5-speed, but the Type SHs are pretty much an enthusiast-only car, so on those rare occasions where you see another one, there's a fair amount of honking, light flashing, etc.
    ...so you never know if the base model is a 5 speed or a SS...or if it has a JRSC, or a turbo, or a LSD. I'm just happy to see another Prelude.

At this point, getting ANY G5 Prelude has its own kind of exclusivity, if that's an important consideration for someone.

One of the advantages of a Quaife over ATTS is that you don't have to push the car to experience its benefits.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    220K for a catalytic is over the normal lifespan, so you have no complaints there.
    I know it has been out for a while, but I still chuckle when I see that commercial for the Acura CL Type S when the guy buys the house simply because of the ultra-twisty road you have to take to get to it. My girlfriend always says, "that's definitely you and your Prelude."

So we're supposed to go to her cousin's wedding at the end of march and she says to me, "if you want we can all go in 1 car either (a) with my parents or (b) my brother and sister-in-law. I told her we're going with option c, my Prelude.

• blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Yeah, I like that commercial too.

Nothing better to take your mind off a long day at work than to floor it on a twisty on-ramp...
    I like that commercial too. Too bad it wasn't a Prelude. Did Honda ever advertise this car? I only have a few scans of magazine ads (am happy to email them to anyone who can post 'em and include links here).
    could you post them? that would be cool to check out
    There was a TV ad for the Prelude when the 5th Gens were introduced. It showed a toy hula dancer dancing on the dash of a San Marino Red Type SH, which was driving along a very twisty road. At the end of the commercial the toy hula dancer blew up (apparently from too much shaking) and the narrator said something to the effect of "The new Honda Prelude, choose your accessories carefully."

Recently, when the weather is cold, I feel it is hard to engage 1st gear sometimes - regardless of engine temp. even at a dead stop. Have anyone had this problem? It just started this year (My car is a '99 with 55K on it). Any solution for that?
    You might need to change-out your tranny fluid, particularly if it hasn't been done in a while. Otherwise, a sticky first-gear synchro is nothing major to worry about when it's really cold outside.

That said, if you are hearing of feeling any grinding or garunching when you shift, you should definately get it checked out asap.
    The fluid might be the reason - Since I have never done a tranny fluid change since new. I do not have any grinding or anything like that - it just is not going into gear and I feel the resistance. Normally, I just put it to neutral/2nd gear and then shift it back to 1st, it will goes right in just as normal.

Thanks for the quick response, himiler!
    No problemo. Sounds like a simple fluid swap will do the trick.
    Every Honda Ive owned has had this problem, and granted, Ive never changed the transmission oil. But there isnt any grinding, just a resistance, you shift back to neutral, and then it goes into first easily. Let us know if changing the tranny fluid does the trick.