Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Can anyone out there confirm that Mazda is going to add an upgrade engine for the MPV in 2002? I've heard rumors that Mazda will be offering a larger 200hp V6. I'm ready to buy but waiting for a new engine. I have two children a 3yr old and 7mo old. We presently have a car and small SUV. Hard to wait for the van but I'm willing if I can get a more powerful engine. I test drove the 2001 and it seemed fine but it's hard to get a feel in a short test drive. Please post any info you might have. Thanks
  • abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    Java,

Seriously, that might be a great way to tow. If you go with any self-propelled RV, you will need to tow another vehicle along behind you, and I can't think of a better vehicle than the MPV! 38' a pretty big RV, though :)

Pierac,

Yes, the 3.0 liter has been confirmed by many in this forum (via Mazda representative) to be available starting in August. So be patient. Expect a price premium and very few incentives. If you don't plan on towing anything, almost everybody here will agree that the current engine is more than adequate. Have you test driven one yet? You will be able to save a lot of money by buying the standard engine, and even more if you buy one used. I have seen a 2000 MPV ES with 23k miles for less than $17k here in California and consistently seen the ES with < 20k miles for under $20k. Good luck with whatever you buy.

-Brian
  • motherof3motherof3 Member Posts: 7
    I recently attended the Pittsburgh Auto Show and the Mazda rep showed us how to 'slide out' the vcp from the floor attachment track. On the model MPV they had there that day it seemed as if the vcp installed under the third seat was installed on some sort of a track. What he did was first fold the 3rd seat into the floor and then he undid some sort of a screw or nut and then proceeded to slide it out leaving the track attachment still on the floor. I'm not sure if they are all installed like that but I imagine they are since they are factory installed. Hope this helps!
  • cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    Well, it happpened already. I just picked up my son from karate class and another dad came over to the MPV with a "How do you like the van? It's really looks sharp." I proceeded to show it off, touting the roll down rear windows, tumble down seat, etc. He commented that it looked roomy compared to the Honda he looked at. I was surprised at that. He also said that when he looked at the Honda, the dealer pointed to the sticker right away and said "That's the price you'll pay." When I told him my MPV was "around $20k", his eyeballs nearly popped out. It's a nice feeling to enlighten folks, isn't it?
  • bkmstrbkmstr Member Posts: 3
    Have been reading this board for a few weeks now and appreciate all the insight from those who have posted. Just thought I would share the recent deal we received on a new red 2000 LX MPV.

Fog Lamps, Roof Rack, Dual Air Cond, 6-Disc Changer, Pwr Moonroof, 4 Seasons package, and LX (2LX) Touring package.

The MSRP on the vehicle was $27,450. On Monday, Mazda announced a $4,000 rebate on vehicles with the 2LX package and the dealer had an additional $500 auto show rebate. The dealer gave a discount of $2,550.

Final price - $20,400 (including destination)

We are quite happy with the deal. Would like to know if anyone else thinks this was a good deal. Thanks
  • bert2112bert2112 Member Posts: 3
    been looking on Long Island at Es models with 4 season package, 6 CD, fog lights, sun roof, roof rack. Best price was 26,500. This seems a little high? What do you think?
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Is it a good idea to get the 4 season package?(Ohio} Also, The Lx I'm looking at has alloy wheels, do you recommend them. I hear steel wheels have more shaking problems than alloy. Thanks for your help! We are close to purchasing a 01 LX Sand Mica and a local dealer has quite a few. One LX has the security package and 4 seasons,just want some advice. I like the idea of side airbags with the security pkg.
    P.S. Only one 2000 Blue Lx in Central OH.
    THX, Pete
  • tango_28tango_28 Member Posts: 35
    I saw a 2000 ES for 21800 with the same option in Chicago area. I think you can do much better than 26500. Most Mazda dealers are willing to sell at invoice, minus a the rebates. You should still look around, there are more 2000 out there.
  • bert2112bert2112 Member Posts: 3
    the one's where looking at were 2001 for 26500.also their giving us rear ent. package instead of rebate.special ends 4/2. just not ready to make rush decision. dealer also told me bigger motor coming in 2002.i don't think i will wait for it. just want to thank all for their input.
  • bcatusibcatusi Member Posts: 6
    Well...I'm now a member of the MPV owners club! Just picked up a 2001 Silver LX with 4-seasons, LX Security, Roof Rack, and fogs (dealer installed-not the factory) for $22,550 including destination. I think I might have been able to do better, but I'm satisfied...it was hard to find a Silver LX with the options I wanted. My wife positively LOVES the MPV - it's really for her and our son. Even though I'm more of a car person, there's no denying the practicality and dare I say it, style - of the MPV. I never thought I'd get excited about a minivan, but I am!For the money, I don't think anything else compares.
    I looked at a 01LX Sand Mica with the exact same options yesterday. I believe the MSRP was $25455. It didn't have the foglights. The van looks much better with foggies:) I think your deal was OK....approx $500 below invoice. The best deals were on the remaining 2000's. I feel like you, if a dealer has your options, color, etc.and they are local and you feel good about your dealership, it isn't worth traveling a distance to save a few hundred. My local dealer has a great selection of MPV's( 15 to 18). My wife likes the Sand Mica, I prefer the Silver, but it will be her van. Looks like we will be getting one in a few weeks.
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    Congratulations! I didn't have much of a choice since they only had a basic DX and and a loaded LX and we wanted some of the features of the LX. We love having the extras but wouldn't have gotten them all. We felt that we were getting a good deal and that we would just get all the extras. I would have probably gone for a Sand or silver one but the black is growing on me.

It is showing scratches and dirt though. Someone backed into it just enough to leave a small scrape and paint on the front bumper. I managed to get it off and also a couple of small scratches on the back bumper. I don't remember the name of the stuff I used.

We had the tehters installed and they didn't cut holes in the floor mats. I saw where there is a cut out for the hole so we know exactly where to cut the mats.

My husband and differ on what to do though. I say to cut the mats since our kids are one and almost 2 so they will be in car seats for a long time. He wants to just take the mat out and put it in the back for when we'll use it. I think I've convinced him that my way's right but I'm wondering what other people did about that.

Also does anyone have any great ideas on how to keep goldfish crackers and other stuff from falling down in the tracks of the 2nd row seats. We managed to get them out but wondered if there was something that we could do preventivly.

Thanks
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    Congrats to all the new MPV owners out there and welcome to the MPV forums. I know that you will enjoy you new vehicles. As you will hear quite a bit of around here, "We Love our MPVs!!!"

pdj58: Yes, the LX adds many common conveniences for the price and is worth it. The four-seasons package adds additional cooling capacity for the engine and transmission as well as a heavy duty rear defogger and heat controls for the rear passengers. The rear heat controls are especially important if the vehicle comes equipped with the rear air option since the heat controls allow rear passengers to adjust both heat and air temps. Without the four-seasons package, rear passengers can only adjust fan speed. I wish you the best in your purchase decision making.

Regards,
    JB
  • jschmiidtjschmiidt Member Posts: 10
    From Tampa FL: My wife and I just purchased a Sand mica MPV ES. They are adding fog lights and an entertainment system as I write this and I pick up tonight. I was able to get it for $300 below invoice. (Thanks to Edmunds and the many message posts I've read.) Traded in my 96 Dodge GC SE 89K miles w/dual sliders, quad captains, alloys, in Kelly's fair condition for a measley $6K. Had nothing but problems with it. Must have been in the shop over 35 times for other than maintenance. Should have Lemon Lawed it long ago and will never buy another Chrysler product as long as I live.
    Someone please tell me I did the right thing as I'm having a little buyers' remorse here. Although smaller than our GC, we felt the cargo well would make up for the lost rear length. The power has me a little concerned though. Seemed the engine was working hard to keep up during our extensive test runs. Hope it holds up. Slight shake noticed, especially when accelerating through the 50-55 mph zone. Big time fluttering wind noise with rear window down. Was wondering if anyone has had problems with inside slide door handles which seemed a bit flimsy? Can they stand the test of time? Seems there should be a stronger handle there in order to close.
    Love the looks. Love the price. Just hope I'll love the performance and hope it has a better resale value.
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    I haven't figured out a way to stop the goldfish, etc. either from getting in the track either except to maybe put a towel over it. We have a problem with that also with our 18 month old. When we had our tether installed the service department cut the hole out in the mat for us. I think it looks great and am glad to have the mat still there. The van will always have the tether box, regardless of if there is a car seat installed and even then there is the nice cover for it, so why not have the mat fit for it? I would rather protect my carpet with the mats which can always be replaced.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    If you have spent time reading the various MPV boards here, your doubts have no basis. My biggest problem is pretzels(or goldfish) in the seat tracks like blacklx recently brought to light. My 6 year old swings from the assist handles and hammers the rear doors; they haven't complained a bit.

:)
  • lpatter1lpatter1 Member Posts: 3
    In response to the one who bought the MPV in Tampa. they suggested I have -Haul install the trailer hitch. -haul did not ave a type 2 but installed a type three that was so bad, every bit of the hitch showed and I had to have it removed. Went to Dixie hitches in St Pete and they did a great job and all I see is the tongue.
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    You can bury the buyer's remorse, friend. You just bought the car of your life. And as for the power issue, relax and give yourself time to learn how to drive it. Your worries will disappear.

Congratulations on a good purchase.

RJ
  • all4sarahall4sarah Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a 2000 LX, Emerald Mica with Touring package, 6 disc CD changer, sunroof, and entertainment center. It had 4K miles on it for $18,300. It had an owner who decided to trade it in for a loaded Suburban, so we got it at the local Chevy dealership (at least that's the story the dealer told us). Still finding french fries in the seat tracks! I feel like we got a fabulous deal since we were getting ready to get a 2001 in the same color with the only option being a roof rack. Glad we found it. I have a few questions:

(1) The entertainment center. The one we saw at the dealership had the VCR installed under the 3rd seat, which would need to be moved when the rear seat is folded down. Ours is under the front drivers seat. The brand is audiovox, it has the 6" screen and wireless headphones. Is this one that was installed aftermarket and what affect will it have on the warranty?

(2) Is it possible to have a sunroof and roof racks? I had my heart set on the racks and this is one option my car doesn't have.

(3) Could someone tell me more about the tether and how they install it?

Thanks!
    Kelly
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Has anyone tried to stand up skiis in the rear, with the 3rd seat in use? Does that cavity go deep enough to accommodate a couple of pairs of skiis?
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Yes indeed you can have the roof rack and the sunroof. Ours is outfitted like that. Just make a trip to your dealer they will get you all set up. Dealer installed you will be looking at about $350-$400 bucks I think. You could likely get the rack and have someone else install it for cheaper. Once you have it you'll love the look.

Regarding the entertainment system, it sounds as if it is an aftermarket system. If it was installed by the dealer you may still get the same warranty. There seems to be some confusion regarding dealer installed vs factory installed systems.

Sounds like you got a good deal for accepting the 4k miles.
    Please hear me on this, I have a little experience in that area.

If the dealer installed an aftermarket system, it is up to them to warranty it. Unlike the vehicle itself, warranty on aftermarket installations will only be honored at the installing dealer and not every Mazda dealer.

Not to say that it will be a problem, but the Audiovox is not known for its quality.

• daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    JSchmiidt at post 1216. I traded my 1996 Plymouth Voyager standard wheelbase in on the MPV 6 months ago. I normally keep a car for ten years, buying new every 5 years. As it was, I should have traded my 1990 Legacy with 160,000 miles. Instead, I kept my Legacy and unloaded my 96 Voyager because it was a piece of @#$%^! car. The MPV is longer than the short wheelbase but narrower. With the well in the back it comes up 2cubic ft short of a GC cargo space. So, you will be missing some space. The engine performance is misleading, it sounds like its working hard, but look at the tach, it's only cranking around 2700rpm when it is growling. It will never win a drag race, but on the highway, cruising at 70 mph, it has more guts than any other minivan. The engine is also deceptive, in the cruising department. You will find you are going 70 in those 45 mph zones and not realize it until you start passing cars going the speed limit. As far as the flutter noise, you get that with any vehicle when you are going fast and have the windows open at certain levels. The key here, is that you CAN open the windows in this van. Allowing you to clear the air when necessary and eliminate the hot air when it has been parked. But the BIGGEST thing is reliability. I don't know anyone that had a reliable Chrysler van. I don't know how the Mazda will hold up, but if it does as well as my Honda's and Subaru, (read Japanese here), Then I will be happy. I agree with you in that "I will never buy another Chyrsler product" That's to bad because I have been rooting for them since the Iocoaca days. Now that one of the three stooges (Schemp) is running the Company from the motherland, I am have no interest what so ever about their products.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I've been mulling this over for a while now, wondering if I should even open this discussion...which is prolly not the correct forum for this, but what the heck... It seems that a lot of folks have gone from DC (Chrysler) vans over to the MPV, which I love to see. Also, a high percentage of the comments I've seen state the previous DC van as being a piece of... (sorry Drew!).

So, can some prev. owners of DC vans that have switched explain the alure of the Caravan/Voyager, and why people are still buying them when there are so many better built (MPV MPV MPV MPV) vans out there? I applaud all of the new MPV owners who have made the wise choice to purchase an MPV.

So, fire away, heh heh heh...hope I didn't just insert foot...

--javadoc
    Case in point:
    I had to run to Home Depot to pick up 10 bags of compost on Saturday and rather than have the dirty bags stacked in the cargo well, I thought I'd just throw down the rear seat. Well as soon as the older gent in his Villager next to me saw this, he started prodding me about the van and how I liked it. The conversation started with the back seat, moved to engine power, then fuel economy, next interior room. I had to cut it short as this was supposed to be a quick trip. He literally just sat there and gawked as I pulled out of the lot and down the road. I think he was thinking about a car-jack.

So had I owned a Caravan, I would have been home 5 minutes sooner. Darn!

All in the marketing!!! MPV owners must be extroverts then. I have to agree Maltb, I do enjoy the inquiries when driving our MPV, esp when you take people out to lunch or something, and they say, "This is really nice in here, more room than you'd think."

Here now I'm jealous...you're doing garden/yard work, and I'm chipping ice off of my *&%(#@ driveway for two hours last night...still not done (wouldn't care 'cept I'm taking the snow off as soon as my new Yokos arrive from Tirerack). I won't even *think* about putting the snow blower in the shed and taking the mower out for at least another month. Can't wait to head to the 'Depot for edging/soil/fertilizer in the MPV.

--j
    Well, I had to do something about that 70lb salmon you posted. Here's a visual for ya from the back yard:

I know at that size it won't last long, but I figured the doc would get the point.

• xoomxoomxoomxoomxoomxoom Member Posts: 5
    Am seeing ads. for the free RSES system on the LX in NJ. Is this in addition to the rebates or in leiu of ?

Am hoping to get one this week. Most prices on this list are in line with carsdirect.com prices. Should I still go thru the grind with the dealers ? pros / cons ?
    Beauty, what kind of flowing plant? I can almost smell it, but I can still smell the fish from when I vacpacked them, lol.
    As someone has already stated yes you can have the sunroof as well as the roof rack. We do too and have used a car top carrier on a long trip to the lake.

Your dealer can get the tethers installed for you and most have done it for free although the tether parts will cost you around $8 each. They work with the 2nd row captains chairs and are really nice. They match the interior color of your van (beige or grey) and come with a nice cover that snaps on for when they are not in use. There are also marks on the mat for the bench seat that show the dealer where to cut out so the tethers fit thru nicely. It is a good set up. I personally only need one car seat and chose to put the tether on the driver's side seat so we can still use the the slide feature of the other captain's chair. Hope this helps and enjoy your van - you will love it!
    It's Mazda's policy to provide those tethers free of charge so don't let the dealer charge a dime for that, they get reimbursed.

I have nothing but good things to say about my van (we have owned this beautiful red ES for over 14 months now and no problems!) It is really a joy to drive and the reliability factor here seems to be very high. I too got burned with a Chrysler product and will not go down that road again. We get stopped a lot with questions and positive comments about this van. People always think it is brand new. As far as your door handles they have not shown any signs of wear in our van. To address your question about the engine power I think you will find that the majority of us find that it is not a problem either. Our other vehicle is an Infiniti Q45 so it is not like we are used to wimpy engines. We have no complaints with the MPV power and have driven it on trips ranging from Minnesota down to San Antonio. I think you will love your MPV too.
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    Owned a 94 Voyager SE (short base). I originally bought it because I liked its looks and because I admired Iacoca and the way he pulled Chrysler out of the hole. I only kept it for 30k miles and had one seige of transmission trouble early on, which Chrysler hunted down and fixed for good (well, for 30k miles that I know of). I got rid of it because although it was plush and comfortable and a hell of a road car and quick as a rabbit, it had the handling qualities of a school bus. And I got bored with it. Until I began reading the DC van sites and found out about its nasty habit of dropping its transmission out of warranty, I kicked myself for three years for getting rid of it. Probably saved myself a bunch of headaches by getting bored. Didn't save myself any money, though. It's expensive to trade cars before you've even finished paying for them. Ouch!
    I can't say that the van was a piece of excretum (I can't help it; I'm an English teacher), though. Once the initial tranny problem was fixed, the thing never gave me another problem. Until I read the posts, I'd have recommended the DC to anyone. As a matter of fact, I was set to buy another one. Until...

RJ
  • cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    Hello all,
    Just curious if anyone has had to change a tire on their MPV yet. I picked up our new 2001 silver LX last Tuesday night and kind of rushed the salesman through the check list because I wanted to get going and drive it! As a result, I never got the spare tire tutorial. Reading through the owner's manual it looks kind of confusing and a bit of a pain to access the spare. Is it as bad as it seems? Maybe when the weather breaks I'll try a "test run".

BTW, based on comments posted here, I picked up a clutter catcher from Walmart Saturday and it does fit like a glove. The emergency brake's a little inconvenient now and you do have to position the console just right because of the front arm rests, but it's nice to have a little more storage. I guess it could also be a problem for the second seat passenger's feet when the seats are pushed together into bench mode. The deeper cup holders are convenient, too. Overall, $25 well spent. Thanks for the info.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I drove with two pairs of full sized skis inside the van. However I didn't put them vertically. The third row seat doesn't actually rest on the floor. There is a considerable space between the seat and the floor. You can slide the skis right beneath the seat easily and put it in the "aisle" between the seats in the second and first rows. So it's no problem at all (unless you put the clutter catcher console between seats).
  • stevemichele1stevemichele1 Member Posts: 2
    Getting ready to buy but wondering when the 2002 models are coming out. any ideas?
    With 250 miles on the MPV, my wife gave me the opportunity(oops! was that a curb?) to try out the spare tire set-up. If was very easy and the tool kit even comes with a large bag for the damaged tire(kudos to Mazda). However, being a purist, I used one of the trash bags that I keep in cargo area. Getting the spare tire out from under the side is easier than the the pickups I have seen, so no problem there.

• brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Just to clarify..... Mazda WILL cover Rosen ent
    system installed aftermarket under its new car warranty provided it is installed by "factory approved" installer. In my case, mine was installed by Classic Soft Trim (nationwide shops who specialize in aftermarket "factory approved" accessories (ie., Rosen systems, leather interiors, etc.).

Classic's paperwork actually states all of this.
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Just returned from 1st "road trip". Covered approx 600 miles roundtrip. MPG going was 19. MPG on the return was 22. Avg speed was 65-70. I think mileage was a bit lower on the "going" side due to pretty hefty winds in the midwest. Overall, I think it's a good road vehicle. No major complaints.
    Too bad you got a flat, hope the rim's okay, and I hope the weather wasn't nasty.

I think Mazda got it right with their spare tire setup. Sometimes it's the little things that matter the most, like the baggie in the tool kit, or the nice way the lug nut key snugs to the tire iron. They prolly had a design committee that decided exactly what needed to be in the tool kit, lol. I remember when we got our MPV in Portland, just before we drove it back to Anchorage, we tested the workings of the spare, and it is indeed very easy, esp since you can stand out of harm's way when cranking the spare down, and not emptying a full trunk, exercising your "vocabulary" at the same time.

I ran over a screw at a tool rental place in Rolf last fall (renting a ladder for those bloody Christmas lights), and had to remove stroller, subwoofer box and emergency box before I could lift the trunk floor and remove the spare, saying some good "Christian words" as mom always called them. To it's merit, the tool kit for the car even came with some leather gloves with "Volvo" inked on the backs of them (no baggie tho), so I had to smile while doing my best rendition of a 15 second NASCAR pit stop...which probably took more like 5 minutes. Must be cuz I didn't have my Rainbow Warriors jacket on. :)

I'm old school too, and keep gloves, a small tool roll and flares in the compartment next to the subwoofer.

Incidentally, just for conversation, does anyone use the small tray under the front passenger seat? I don't think we've ever put anything in it, save for some spare gloves.

--j
    My only problems with the spare were that the crank wrench does not fit as snugly as I would like. I would have preferred a hex nut instead of the slotted one. Plus, when removing the tire from the cable it took me a while to figure it out in the dark along side the road without a flashlight. Hence, there is now a flashlight in the tool bag! It was extremely funny to watch the tire repair guy try and figure out how to put the spare back on and where. I let him walk around the van for a good 5 minutes before lending my newly found expertise.
    I spent 4 years working in Mazda's warranty department. I can tell you from experience that what you are saying is not correct. Also, look at your warranty guide in the glove box. Page 32, last sentence of paragraph 3 states, "If parts or accessories are sold but not installed by a Mazda Dealer, they are covered for the first 12 months/12,000 miles, from the purchase date excluding labor charges."

Of course, if you didn't purchase the item from a Mazda dealer, a Mazda dealer can't warranty the part and Mazda's warranty only applies to Genuine Mazda Parts and Accessories.

Like I said before, the place that you purchased your system from is free to warrant their product as they will but they can not claim that the item is covered by Mazda's warranty.

A side note: there is no such thing as "Aftermarket Factory Approved Accessories".

Heh, maybe a rechargeable light with it's own power plug snugged into the side of a panel would be a really neat feature? Or your own personal mechanic, I could handle that. "Vinnie, find out where that clunk's coming from!" Then again, I *am* Mrs. Javadoc's own personal grease monkey, hmmm, I feel like a sucker now! ;-)

Reminds me of some auto parts commercial I saw a while back. There's this guy sitting in the back seat of someone's SUV (a Yukon I think), and he says, "Hang on, I hear something rattling!" He climbs out of the vehicle, which is lumbering down a two-laner, and crawls under it, flashlight in his mouth. At the end of the commercial, he plops down in the seat again, "It's okay, it was only a twig." I think I watch too much TNN.

I too have learned to carry a few items, usually only after I've needed them desperately. Duct tape is ever present (good for taping exhausts back together when 100 miles from Nowhere, BC), as well as a collapsible snow shovel, which our friend Maltb will never need living right near paradise, lol.

Maltb, btw, know where I can rent an MPV when I come down to Orange in May?

--javadoc
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    Had a 2000 MPV loaned to us over night. Great features, but lacked power. Dealer said sept, would offer 3.0, is this fact or rumor, as I have yet to find anything in magazines or net, besides dealers statements. Though I don't think they'd make that up, since that could slow sales on 2001's. Live in Colorado Springs, loaded up van with 3 friends and tried to cruise @ 80mph with AC, but very heavy-footed on gas, don't think fuel economy would be very good, also downshifted often to maintain speed. Could be the altitude here I guess. Dealer offered $5000 off MSRP, but would like to wait for 2002's with more power. Otherwise great ride. Any comments on new engine??? (traction control would be nice too...)
    Please do not be under the assumption that you will get $5k off the MSRP on a 3.0 equipped 2002! Once that 3.0 gets installed these babies will be the life of the party! You will be lucky if your not paying $2-3K above MSRP like the Odyssey. So you will have to weigh the opportunity cost of waiting for a 3.0. In this case it appears to be at least $5k.
    I was going to wait for the 3.0 in 2002. But,so many MPV owners have said power isn't a issue. It seems people who drive it for the first time, feel it's underpowered. My Wife and I have test drove 3 different MPVs and they drove fine, one had a bad vibration around 60mph. I believe if you like the MPV you should "pull the trigger" on a 2001. The incentives for a 01 are and will be terrific to unload them before the 02s come out. I don't think you will pay over MSRP, on a 02, but the days of the great deals below invoice, will be a thing of the past. No one I know of has had any issues with the 2.5 Duratec. How do we know there won't be problems with the 3.0? It is suppose to be the same engine that is in the Tribute and there have been a few quality issues with that engine.
    It's amazing how many car reviewers labeled the MPV as very underpowered. The MPV's reputation has been unfairly represented in the press. I've driven many minivans and they aren't entering any drag races.
    If you want the BEST looking minivan, best handling(sedan like), only minivan produced outside of North America(engine built in US),least problems and most loyal owners around, the MPV is your only choice.
    We will purchasing a 01LX very shortly, waiting for my tax refund for a higher down payment.

Thx to Java, Blondemom!, maltb, rjr425 and all the others for your input. You have been very helpful. It's just getting "old" defending this wonderful van.

Pjd58
    P.S. Before you purchase your MPV make sure to test drive it at highway speed. A few have had some vibration, as I noted earlier. Find one that drives well. But, shouldn't we all test drive our car under all of your typical driving conditions before we sign on the dotted line? Just my 2 pennies worth:)
    I gave that one some thought when you asked before. My MPV sources are, how do you say, exclusive. All I can say is call Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Budget or Enterprise and see if they stock those. From what I know, the MPV has fairly low Fleet sales. It seems that GM, Ford and DC like to give their vehicles away to the fleets for the extra exposure.

• xoomxoomxoomxoomxoomxoom Member Posts: 5
    Am seeing ads. for the free RSES system on the LX in NJ.
    Is this in addition to the rebates or in leiu of ?
    Am hoping to get one this week.
    Most prices on this list are in line with carsdirect.com prices.
    Should I still go thru the grind with the dealers ? pros / cons ?
  • alicecalicec Member Posts: 6
    I am very happy with our purchase of our 2001 ES. However someone at my part time job was telling me about a friend who got a great deal on a new 2000 recently and she stated "It's just like yours with leather seats and everything" (This person has never seen the inside of my van). Were there any significant improvements to the van in 2001 from the 2000 model? From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.