Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Usually there will be more backspacing on a FWD wheel.
    Because on the front wheel they have to fit the halfshafts, CV joints etc into the wheel.
    So the actual wheel hub will be closer to the outer edge of the rim.
    You usually can't get as much of a deep dish look with a FWD car.
    Although it varies from manufacturer and the wider the wheel the more deep dish look you can have.
    For instance, if we could put the 8" wide Impala SS wheels on our cars it would sit the hub back 1.5" because our current LS wheels are only 6.5" wide.
    Put a 245 section tire on those things and it would be quite a beefy tire/rim package. It would scream performance and handling.
    And anybody who pulled up behind you would notice the difference immediately.
  • Options
    If the current Impala were RWD this would be a short sampling of what we could put on it.
    Corvette wheels, bbody wheels,'93 and later fbody wheels.
    That means ZR1 wheels, Z06 wheels, SS wheels, 94-96 Impala wheels, Firehawk wheels, yadda yadda, etc. etc.

Quite a choice, huh?
  • Options
    I've heard that Chevy wheels can fit Jaguars(except S-type of X-type), except the hub cutout is a little smaller, so they have to be bored out a bit.

That would mean that those Jaguar wheels would fit RWD Chevys without a problem, I guess.

The XJR wheels are mighty fine!

• Options
    rangerwillierangerwillie Member Posts: 59
    Thanks for info.

I thought they had decided not to keep building the 3.5 (like y'all said), but someone recently told me this would replace the 3.8- maybe that was just an old plan.

So are y'all saying the Intrigue engine is a "Shortstar" engine?

bz4-

the 6 valves info. came straight from Yahoo autos- I can't speak for a "Shortstar"- but either the Intrigue 3.5 dohc did have 6 valves per cylinder, or Yahoo is wrong, one or the other!

Check this out:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/oldsmobile02intrigue/glsedan/trim.html?refsrc=autos/home

• Options
    shortstar is the 3.5L DOHC motor. 4 vavles per cylinder for a total of 24valves.
    It is a derivative of the Caddy Northstar.
    Can't think of any production engine in the world that has 6 valves. There is simply not enough room in the head to do that.
    There are some 5 valve motors. Audi is one. Ferrari is another.
    Extra valves lose low end power and only help top end breathing.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Gary - I love that pic above. The color is fantastic! Where do I pick mine up???
  • Options
    I seem to have misplaced the keys. Meet me at San Jose British Motors at 10pm with a slim jim and a pair of wire cutters.
  • Options
    MightyMike242MightyMike242 Member Posts: 8
    I am not sure of the life of the 3.5 Shortstar. I do know that GM has problems manufacturing these in quantity.
    The 3.8 was supposed to be gone in 03, but it's life in now out to 07 or 08. Some Pontiacs with get a 260HP SC version is 03. The standard 3.8 will have a HP boost, but I am unsure of how much. I hear 215HP

Mike
  • Options
    Grand prix gets 250 hp Series III in the first quarter of '03. This will be an all new car and is oficially a 2004 model.
    Impala and Monte Carlo will get the 240 hp version.
    Non supercharged version will continue to have 200 hp.
    This will change in the next year or 2 as the 3.6L HFE engines in both pushrod and DOHC variations appear.
  • Options
    Did you follow that link I posted above (post #10355)? Acoording to Yahoo, the Intrigue engine is a 36 valve V6- that's why I asked you- I don't know anything about it, personally.

As far as there being enough room in the head, I don't see why not. I'm sure you know more about engines than I do.

What I am saying though, is if you can have 5, why not 6? You said 5 valve motors exist, so that would be at least 3 on one side (3 exhaust and 2 intake or vice versa) right? Anyway, if you can fit 3 on one side (which has to be the case on a 5 valve), why couldn't you fit 3 on the other?
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    It seems like they finally woke up from a deep sleep.

The DOHC V-6 sounds very nice. The 6 speed RWD tranny is a good thing, too. Of course, most of the other major players already have these things.

That V12 sounds quite the badazz, though. It would make a great "lump" engine for old Jaguars, instead of the currently popular Chevy LT1. That is, if it fits. It would be great in an ultra performance luxury vehicle, sort of a Cadillac Corvette. (I've seen the XLR. It ain't it.)
  • Options
  • Options
    I would like to see the 3.9 version with about 275 hp and a 5 speed auto in the Impala.
  • Options
    5683 produced this week.
    184,683 since January.

My dealer finally has some inventory. last year they has almost none on the lot.

Wondering if GM should slow down things a little bit. or maybe offer a $3000 rebate so I can buy another one. LOL.
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Here's one response I got from our friends over at the Avalanche forum:

#161 of 161 paint by ygmn Oct 04, 2002 (04:20 pm)
    Those who have painted......Sand it smooth....primer coats, color coat, clear coat...they use special paint with flex additives....

Try your local body shop for advice..
  • Options
    It would be the same procedure as painting a bumper cover or other flexible part.

Speaking of cladding...Has anybody seen the new Grand Am? No more cladding! Except for the gril and taillights, it looks identical to an Alero. It reminds me of the 80's whan ALL GM cars were like that.

I think I prefer the GT cladding over no cladding at all. The SE cladding had too many ribs, though.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Had my original battery die on me last night; lasted 43K miles/31 months. Had noticed the slightest amount of drag when starting the car for the past few days; consciously thought about taking in to have it checked yesterday afternoon, but didn't get around to it. So of course, last night after a trip to the video store, I get in, and got just "click-click-click".

I called my wife, who came to my aid in her Geo Prizm with a set of jumper cables. Two things to note about jumping an Impala - 1) There's no light under the hood, so be sure to carry a flashlight, and 2) I assumed during the once-over with my sales guy many moons ago that the two remote battery terminals located between the battery and the firewall were a "+" and a "-", but after reading the manual by streetlamp, I now realize both are "+" posts. Not a big deal when the Impala needs jumping, since you SHOULD connect the "-" cable to the engine of the Impala, but I suppose when using the Impala to jump another car, you'd have to get to the actual posts on the battery, which might not be so easy.
  • Options
    I suppose when using the Impala to jump another car, you'd have to get to the actual posts on the battery, which might not be so easy.

Why? The negative battery terminal is readily available directly underneath the fuse boxes where those two positive posts are located. In addition, the positive post on the battery is also readily available just as easily as those two other positive posts,if you pop that red cap off.

You can also use the frame of both cars in lieu of the negative posts. It's even advisable to use the frame on the dead car, which should be connected last, to avoid sparks near the battery, which sometimes have combustible fumes in its vicinity.
  • Options
    I removed the black molding from the rear bumper cover today, in preparation for repair and paint. Even though you can now see the ridges and slots that are designed to hold the molding in place, it makes it easy to imagine what the car ould look like with one uniform color. It looks MUCH better.

What's with GM and grey/black molding and cladding? How many pennies do they save in paint? Isn't it negated by the cost of the molding/cladding? Why not just use smooth body panels?

That stuff is universally panned by both the press and by consumers. Why do they keep doing it?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    My 2000 Impala LS doesn't have the black molding on the bumpers or around the license plate. It looks MUCH better that way.

For 2oo3, in a step that is not an improvement, IMHO, I have been told the rocker panels are now grey!
  • Options
    Another thing I noticed during this procedure is how HUGE this bumper cover is, and how good the car would look if it didn't stick out so far. With the cover off, there is only a horizontal steal beam with a large styrofoam piece attached. It would look so much better with it flush. Less bulky and bloated.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    One thing that surprised me from the battery exchange; I got in expecting to have to reset all my radio presets, but they were all intact, as was the info on the DIC. The only thing I had to reset was the clock.

garypen - As for the difficulty in jumping off a battery from the Impala; I'm working from memory on this, but as I recall there's a brace that runs across the top of the battery, which makes it a little tight to get cables in there; plus you're dealing with side-mount posts, which can be more difficult to get a good connection on (especially if you've got older jumper cables).
  • Options
    When I read your original post, I went out and took a look. The whole engine bay is very easy to work in. Specifically, the battery posts are extremely accesible, as are those two positive auxilliary posts that you had mentioned. There is a ton of room between the battery side posts and the engine, making it very easy to get jumper cable clamps in there.
  • Options
    garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Gary - if you paint the moldings please post the pics...what color is your car.
  • Options
    I'm not gonna paint the molding. I only removed it to paint the bumper cover, which is silver, BTW. A very metallic and sparkly silver, I might add.
    It has a crack in it, and I need to repair and paint it before turning it over the fine gentleman who has agreed to assume the remainder of the lease.
    Smart man he is.
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Man, garypen.... while you have it off you should sand, prime and paint it!! Decument the whole thing... and then post it on here.... ya know, before you turn the car over! pleeeeeeeease? haha
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Cars on the roads had 6 or 12 volt systems. I seem to remember that some of the older cars had 8 volt systems too. Mayb it was some early 50's Buicks I think had 8 volt systems

You could move the "live" car up to the dead car and touch bumper to bumper for a ground. Then use both jumper cables from a 12 volt car to the 6 volt car.

Our original battery in our 2k LS Impala lasted almost 11 months. Hello Optima battery?

Tony
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Well, I just bought a '02 Chevy S10 last night and will be handing over the keys to my '01 LS. I sure am going to miss that car.

Maybe a few years down the road, I will buy another one. A RWD SS V8 sounds nice.

Had to let her go as I am going through one of my young-at-heart phases and I am seeing way too many of the beloved Impalas these days.

I am still hanging out here. Love to read and talk about our fine automobile.

Cheers! Enjoy those rides!

RR
  • Options
    You're not gonna let the fact that they produced 16,748,863,547,738 Impalas last Tuesday afternoon bother you, are ya? That's a good thing! Or so I've been told.
  • Options
    indycarindycar Member Posts: 7
    Friends, thanks again for your prompt responses. After writing my original post, I went to a NAPA Garage and they diagnosed the problem as a Leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator. I had them replace the part and immediately the problem disappeared. So far, it's been a few days and there is no sight of the problem.

While they were replacing the pressure regulator, I found this on the MSN Website.
     http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reliability.aspx?modelid=3093

I couldn't believe it. Look at the 1st item they mention for occasional problems with the 2000 Impala Engine.

Thanks again to all for your help and good will. It's good to see that others are willing to help.

Regards, Bob
  • Options
    I removed the bumper cover and molding myself. But, I'll be having a friend repair the crack and repaint it, so I wouldn't be able to document the whole process. The paint and plastic repair materials were $150, plus tax, if that helps.

Maybe I'll take some digital photos with the bumper off, and during re-assembly. That might still help those that are considering painting the molding or doing their own bumper cover repair. What the heck. Couldn't hurt.
  • Options
    regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    For the past week I kept hearing a slight squeak coming from the engine. I would go over speed bumps or accelerate quickly and the noise kept happening. I brought it to the service shop and they told me that the Front sway bar bushings would need to be replaced. They ordered the item and will call me when they get it.

Has anyone had experience with this problem? If so, what would cause this to happen?

2001 LS (27,000 KM / 16777 Miles)

Thanks!
  • Options
    They can wear out prematurely, if they weren't installed properly, or if they are defective. 16K miles is not enough to wear down non-defective, properly installed sway bar bushings.
  • Options
    scudmanscudman Member Posts: 8
    Hi all! I am new to the board. I have been a longtime reader though. I recently obtained a 2003 Impala LS with the Sport Package.
    Though I am no stranger to General Motors, I am an Audi and a Corvette owner also and I have noticed a few things that I would like to share.
    Comments would be welcomed.

When I first start the engine in the morning the 3.8 seems to idle roughly until I drive for a few minutes. I have let the motor warm up for at least 2-3 minutes and it does not come down below 1000 rpms until driven.

I have also noticed a slight hesitation at times when accelerating. The hesitation is not severe but a bit annoying for a brand new car.

Does anyone else have that annoying rattle sound that seems to come from the front end? Feels like something is loose. The sound is very muted but noticeable.

The car just hit 500 miles and other than a few typical GM interior gripes the car looks and drives great.

Thanks all for any suggestions or comments.
    I look forward to becoming a member of this helpful community.
  • Options
    crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    I too Just bought a silver LS with the sport package.. This vehicle has no rough idle nor hesitate. I would suggest that you take it to te dealer and have them put it on the computer to see if it is up to specs..

I agree with your comment about all the plastic interior , but I guess this is going to be the automotive standard for most vehilces.
    So far i really enjoy driving this vehicle.
  • Options
    regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the info Garypen.
  • Options
    funny you mention that but, yeah - all the Imp's I have seen lately fueled some of my fire. Granted, never seen a Black/Tan one other than my ex, but still... reeks of Accord/Camry.
  • Options
    congrats on th ride! Take it to your dealer. The 3.8 was the SMOOOOTHEST engine I have ever had the pleasure of driving.

If you search this board, you will find threads on thr rough idle as well as the hesitation. I believe that the EGR? PGM? ECM? ... ah, the computer had to be replaced or adjusted in some cases.

RR
  • Options
    Sounds like a possible ECU issue. (I think GM calls it a PCM). I had my software upgraded when I was having hesitation, and it went away.

It could also be a sensor, such as the coolant temp sensor. That might cause an improper air/fuel mix until it warms up.

A bad EGR valve/circuit can aalso cause a rough idle.
  • Options
    My engine is a little noisy and idles higher when cold then quiets down after about 45 seconds.
    I am assuming it is the choke (if cars stil have those).
  • Options
    I don't believe fuel injected engines have those anymore. There is something similar inside the throttle, it's the throttle plate, sometimes reffered to as the butterfly.

On the computer controlled bad boys, the air/fuel mix is controlled by the ECU/PCM based on coolant temp, air temp, and O2 content in the exhaust, among other things.
  • Options
    gasolinegasoline Member Posts: 25
    I have been experiencing a creaking sound (similar sounding to a door hinge needing oil) from the front end whenever I hit the accelerator pedal from a dead stop. It doesn't happen when moving. I would like to know if any of you guys have had this and if taken to the dealer is it possible that the sound could possibly get worst? I have 20 months of warranty left and I am worried that the tech might make a relatively minor problem into a worst situation by not reassembling the parts back right.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I own a 2001 Impala LS. Back in June I noticed one day the high idle also wouldn't come below 1000-1200 no matter how long I waited. I drove the car for a week and it was an annoyance. I took the car to my local chevy dealer, below was the diagnosis for the problem I had.

IDLE HIGH: "Inspect PCM no DTC. Inspect engine no vac/leaks. Inspect IAC motor and wire harness to PCM. FOUND BROKEN WIRE. Repair wire harness midway to PCM. Broken wire reset IAC valve inspect idle.

I don't know how the wire broke but once it was repaired no problem since. Covered under warranty.
  • Options
    The IAC (Idle Air Control) is the device that governs idle speed. It, of course, is controlled by the main PCM (ECU), so the broken wire meant the PCM could not adjust the idle.

You've got a good service dept there. I think many would just give up at finding no DTC codes.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    scudman:
    My 2000 LS had a very very slight hestitation when accelerating at about 10-15mph. I told the service dealer to inspect the PCM. They upgraded the software, and everything is well.

regulator75:
    Teo's sister also had a bushing replaced after owning the Impala for a couple months or so. The problem went away, according to Teo.
  • Options
    scudmanscudman Member Posts: 8
    Thanks all for responding so soon. I called the Dealer today and will be bringing the car in next week for servicing. I will keep you all posted on the results.

A few other thoughts:

I wish they had put a dual exhaust instead of the single chrome pipe. It would have looked a lot sportier. My GTP had dual tips and it looked great.

I really like the headlight design (noticed some condensation buildup already :)) but I would have preferred xeon bulbs. I have them on the Audi and what a huge difference.

The stereo is decent but would have preferred a Bose option. It was a nice touch in the GTP. I am not a big fan of the autotone feature.

Heated seat option is definitely nice but I also would have preferred the switches to be more visible. The Trailblazer has them on the armrests.

I find it hard to believe that Chevrolet couldn’t find a better way of designing the storage compartments in the armrest. What’s with the exposed screws?

Lots of storage but the huge storage compartment in the console is a bit much. I would have liked to see some other design. It needs something, perhaps an LCD. hmmmmmm Need to do some research.

Don’t get me wrong; I am in no way bashing. I am just happy to have found a place to share thoughts and comments. I would love to hear others thoughts and ideas. Once again, thank you to all who took the time to address my concerns.
  • Options
    You can turn the autotone feature off.