Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Sounds like the Steering Rack, One would think they would attempt to replace that and see if it helps, I have a 9C1 Police Version 5 minute Video tape, It shows the underside of the car, notes how the Fuel Lines are recessed into the underside of the body to protect them, then the guy says it features an Aluminum Cradle, Are they Aluminum or Steel? or Aluminum/Steel Reinforced? Don
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Those Arizona drivers should know that the DPS are using an unmarked white Impala LS (spoiler and all) now in the Phoenix metro area.

THey have a plain jane ( base car) blue unmarked one too.

I saw a 2001 bronze Impala last week. Nice looking color.
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    Teo I read somewhere in these postings that you bought your car from an internet sale - was it new - did your car have a 'history?. Just a thought.
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    I now have 27,700 miles on our LS. No major problems and the noise in the tranny seems to be going away. I am still going to take it in to the service dept. and get it checked though. I am well satisfied with ours and I am impatiently waiting to see what Teo finds out about his. I really feel for him because I know he loves his car as much as we do ours. My kids said enough already there is more out there than Impala's, but they just don't understand yet.
    About ready to get the oil changed again and we are thinking about going to the synthetic. Will make that decision in the next few days.
    Expecting some more snow this week-end and if we get what they are saying I think it may be time to heat the garaage and clean it up inside. We will be driving the 4x4 a couple days I guess.
    Matt---Toni says you need to give her a call soon. She ran out of calling cards, I guess. She will be working Fri, Sat and Sun nights though.
    OH yea Dura- I get to go back to work finally. After a year off they thought I was going to retire I guess. The Dr. says if I take it easy and stay off ladders a few weeks I can go back on 2-5. Untill then I have to walk as much as possible to build the strength back up in my leg. It is almost 2"smaller than the other one.
    Have a good day Y'all
    LRCobra
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The majority of complaints in the Impala/Montecarlo come from the ticking noises in the engine cradle. My particular situation could manifest itself less frequently, yet it is a real problem. I think that some drivers will never notice it (Until it gets real bad) or will never pay much attention to the clunks. After doing some reading at the Y2K Montecarlo club in Yahoo, at least one owner had their rack and pinion replaced on a Monte with 11K miles and some other owners are into their second and third engine cradles. For some reason Montecarlos have had the engine cradle problem more widespread than Impalas, but again is hard to determine the number of cars affected and frequency of problems without good statistical data. Problems reported in the Internet come from just a handful of owners, yet I am afraid that people with front end problems whether it be the cradle or the steering system are not part of a statistical minority.

I wish I was overreacting to the problem but it is no secret that these cars can potentially develop front end problems within the first year of ownership, maybe sooner, maybe later or never. I have talked to at least 3 dealers here in Miami and these techs are struggling to silence these cradles and while GM knows about the problems a solution is not yet visible in the horizon.

Again, my problem could be cradle related but the nature of the issue is different...no ticks yet but the front end clunks and the noise is transmitted to the column and brake pedal.

Perhaps, the dealer began to take my car apart today and likely placed new parts orders for key components...just a guess as I haven't heard from them at all since I dropped the car early this morning. In a situation where no TSB's are available the repair approach becomes sort of 'detective' work......take apart, look for excessive component play, inspect the parts visually, do tedious tests on the front end, replace parts, readjust bolts and see if it goes away Trial and error until it feels right again.

My natural worry is that if the dealer repairs the car and 3 to 6 months down the road the problem re-appears, then I would be running very short of time if I need to seek for Lemon Law relief....Florida law only gives 24 months/18,000 miles to grant relief whichever comes first. My car has 13,000 miles meaning that at my normal driving rate I would have just about 6 months left of Lemon Law coverage...if the problem re-occurs say in 7 months and the car has over 18K miles, I will be screwed. In cases like this, manufacturers essentially 'drag thier own feet' to allow for the time statues to run out and prevent the consumer to take any legal action as the state will say...too late, too bad now it's your problem. That's why it is so important in cases like this to follow 'standard procedure' allow the manufacturer to perform the number of repair attempts to give them the 'strike out' and then right away go to the next level.

This is also why manufacturers and dealers in cases where they now they will have to buyback or replace a defective car, play the game of constant repairs again to buy enough time to disarm you from your consumer rights.

Lemon laws in the USA are a race again time on both sides...the manufacturer to get the car fixed or drag the consumer all the way, and the consumer to give the minimum amount of repair attempts required by law and then act upon his/her rights immediately. In Florida the problem in my Impala warrants only 1 repair attempt, then strike out. So once I hear from the dealer tomorrow or friday, then I will weigh my options. For now I am trying to persue the case directly with GM...they now these cars are beign repurchased due to the unsolved cradle problems.

The nagging question is how the suspension got loose? Since replacement parts are essentially identical to the original ones, then can I expect to be in the same situation again 6 to 12 months down the road? The very existance of a TSB can make these problems much easier to deal with, but without a repair procedure is crap shoot, thus increasing the chances of the problem re-appearing again.

At this point, I am giving the dealer until friday to fix it. Even if the car stays at the dealer waiting for parts, those days will count against them as well. In FL 15 calendar days a vehicle is out of service and the car is automatically eligible to go straight to arbitration.

The next couple of days are critical in the resolution of the problem.
    Yes I bought my Impala new, unused and untitled. I did the main bulk of the purchase from the now extinct CarOrder.com car buying service. At the end of the buying process, I dealt directly with the selling Chevy/Buick dealership for the basics, paperwork, payment, and delivery. The dealer is in North Florida, 6 hours drive from Miami. Really nice people and a classic small town operated type of dealer business.

Before I took delivery of the car, I performed a VIN number track on the GMBuyPower.com site which by the way is excellent. I even saw the window sticker on line prior to say 'YES' to order the car.

It was agreat buying experience and this is what makes me sad that 11 months later things are no going well with my Impala. The car 'Rocks' otherwise, but the front end issues are cause for concern.
  • edl79edl79 Member Posts: 14
    Platour I didn't mean that you were bashing the
    3800. Just people in other forums who are very
    vocal against it. Incentives can/do vary by region and where I live there hasn't been anything but the 5.9% on the Impala since I started to consider the car last spring and even that was after I ordered it in July.

I too am sorry to hear about Teo's problems. I
    bought mine after considering the cradle problems reported by others here. Figured there would be a fix before the warranty ran out. Front end clunks at 13,000 miles is another story. GM with it's staff of engineers better get this under control. They probably know the problem causes but haven't figured out a cheap enough fix yet. One that will last past 3/36. My thoughts on getting another Impala are on hold.

Question on the popping/ticking: is this a very obvious sound or one that you have to actively listen for ? I'm talking about in most cases where those who have it noticed the sound.
  • shaminoshamino Member Posts: 60
    I was wondering what happens when GM does buy back a car?? Do they sell it again through the wholesaler network?? Then somehow the car creeps its way back into the market for another user?

I think I saw it on NBC- Dateline once..where some guy thought he was getting a amazing deal on a camaro. And it turns out that someone else had owned the lemon once before, and GM bought it back then resold it again!

On another note, I still am not sure about the so called popping sound! Everyday when I drive the car, I listen very carefully to try to listen for it!
    Does it sound anything like 2 actual pieces of metal breaking sorta like a "pluck pluck" sound?? I was I can get a sound file of the so called popping sound!!

Teo, goodluck with your car! If GM can't fix it, and they try to settle it with you without the arbitrator, what are you gonna do?
    E.g. If GM offered you a brand new 2001 impala LS, would you consider taking that offer? Or would you just get your money back and go for some other car?
    I simply don't know yet. Until GM and the dealer speaks out I can't make a decision. In the event a buyback or replacement offer is issued (provided that the car is not fixable) then I would have to examine really carefully the pros and cons of going either way. If GM would offer me a replacement '01 that would be the right thing to do to retain my business but also if they offer a buyback it will also be the right thing to do. I dunno the '01 models are substantially different in terms of the suspension underpinnings, but again who knows. One thing I can tell you is that I am not thrilled of knowing that my 11 month car is right now undergoing major surgery and the 'Doctors' don't know exactly what to do...but what's most disturbing is the response of GM technical....we don't know how to fix it! That's why I am pursuing this aggresively. One thing is that the dealer techs don't know crap about what;s going on with the car..and quite another that GM (and I have received 3 verbal confirmations on this)doesn't have a clue on the issue. That's the core of my complaint.

In the mean time, for those of you who are not experiencing funny noises or the like, enjoy the car but be attentive at the same time.

I am eagerly waiting to hear from the dealer and to have that repair ticket in my hand!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Clunking - I agree with teo totally in regards to his description of the clunking noise; it was scarcely noticeable at first, then has gradually increased in strength to the point that I'm embarrased to let anyone else drive the car (since I made such a fuss about the car when I ordered it, and being in the brochure and everything). Within the next week or so I may be buying an older pickup truck as a third vehicle to knock around in on weekends; if that comes through I'll take my Impala to have it checked (don't have the time or energy right now to make it with one car, or deal with a rental).

Actually one thing I've meant to check and never think about, the feeling sort of reminds me of the time I took my Celica in for brake work, and they didn't tighten the lug nuts completely. Not exactly the same sensation, but it was also only really noticeable when braking or turning at low speeds.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    nascar - Sorry I haven't responded to your question sooner, but I cashed in over $3k of GM rebate dollars when I bought my Impala. The way mine works (and I've had it for 7-8 years) is I earn 5% bonus for every dollar I spend, up to $500 per year (based on my anniversary date). I can save up to a max of $3,500 (7 years worth of maxed out spending). At any point, you can cash in your earnings on any GM vehicle (currently excluding Saturn, Saab and EV-1; although GM did briefly allow folks to use their dollars on the new larger Saturns at some point last year).

Recently, GM made a change in their card, and gave existing customers the option of switching to the new plan. My understanding is new cardholders can earn unlimited rebates; however, GM can limit the amount of rebate you can apply to a particular car. Thus they may only allow you to cash in $500 on a hot seller, while letting you cash in $2000 on an Aztek! I opted to keep the old setup for myself; I don't generally buy a new car that frequently, so I'd rather be able to ultimately cash in the amount I want on the car of my choice. I'd be really annoyed if I saved up dollars on the card, only to be told they'd only let me cash in a few on the car I wanted.

BTW - we charge practically EVERYTHING we buy on our GM card each year, until we hit the $500 earnings ceiling. Then for the rest of the year, we switch over to the Discover Card and earn 1% cash back. Seems to be a pretty good compromise.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The old GM card program (with $500 yearly limit, $3500 total) is terminated. The option is not available to new customers.

The current, "new" GM card program let you "collect" 5% earning on everything charged on the card, then redeem the "earnings" up to a maximum, set by GM for every model of car.

GM pledged that the limit never will be less than $1000, not $500. See here:

http://www.gmcard.com/generic/a_indexearncheck.html

For Impala and most cars of the same or higher class the current redemption limit is $2000. $1500 for Metro, Prizm, Cavalier, Malibu, and up to $3500 for Cadillac Seville. The only car I found with the minimal $1000 allowance is Corvette. Sure, I did not check everything.

http://www.gmcard.com/generic/a_indexredemption.html

Personally, we switched to the new program. It was a pain to calculate, when it is time to switch to Discover. And, any case, with two drivers in family, both programs would be about equally good for us.

We too are charging everything on the card. Including our phone, Internet and cable bills (pay-by-phone is faster than writing checks). The bills ($150+ per month, $2000 per year) are earning about $100 points per year, i.e. something like $400 toward a new car.

The only problem with the GM card: very low credit limit. Have to pay balance two or three times per month. Fortunately, no need to wait for statement: the data are available on Internet and by phone.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    By the way, the redemption limit for Aztec is $1500. Less than for Impala.

The old GM card, with the $500 yearly limit, was most favorable when buying inexpensive cars. E.g. $3500 redemption from a $9000 price of a base Metro...

The current program is more favorable when replacing cars often, or leasing them.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    I had 29,500 miles on my 2000 Impala when I traded it for the 2001. It was a base model, and I had always wanted the LS. Those 29,500 miles were mostly highway miles, and I had the car for 15 months when I traded it in. In the time I owned it, the only trouble I had with it was a check engine light problem, which ended with a replacement of the fuel tank and a sensor of some kind which I forgot what it was. No ticking or clunking noises from the front end or cradle.

I have had my 2001 LS for just over a month, and it now has 3000 miles on it. I have not heard any ticking or clunking on it either. I have experienced the amp problem of the upgrade radio. After a month, either my ears are adjusting to it, or I am learning to live with it. I have not tried the bypass, but it is still in the back of my mind when the weather warms up. Minor interior problems, like the sagging headliner around the sunroof, and one of the underdash plastic pieces keeps falling down. Nothing a screw or two wont fix. Overall, I have been very satisfied with the LS, mileage has been about 3 mpg less than the 3.4 engine, averaging about 24.5. This is 90% driving in congested interstate traffic in OKC, 50 mile per day round trip to work. Still have not had the car on a long trip, where you could lock the cruise on the interstate and just drive. Curious to see how much the mileage improves on those driving conditions.

Teo: Good luck with the front end problems. Hopefully GM can find a workable solution to your car.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Teo, Platour, others - Are the base models with the 3.4L experiencing less problems than the LS?

Is the cradle different for the 3.4 than the 3.8?

Any base model owners experiencing the steering problems that Teo (and possibly Nosirrah) have?

Ken
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Thanks for your speedy replies.

With Teo's troubles, I was looking for some reassurance that others
    with HIGHER mileage are NOT having similar problems further down
    the road. Glad to hear you're not.

I tend to hold onto cars for a long time.

crosley- Presumably, that battery was covered or at least pro-rated under warranty?

lrcobra - Glad to hear you're mobile again. Please take your physical therapy
    very seriously. It made all the difference in the world to both my father
    when he broke his shoulder and my Godson when he broke his as well.

blckthree - On my 3.8, I get better mileage in the summer than winter.
    Also seem to do better with Texaco 87 or Exxon 87 than Sunoco 87.
    And yes, the bypass is worth a try. Cheap fix.

Thanks guys.
    The same cradle design for both 3400 V6 and 3800 V6 equipped cars.

Just came back from Yahoo's 2000 Impala club....another poster persuing arbitration on their Y2K Impala for cradle problems, oxygen sensor problems and PCM control module problems....car has been out of service for 36 days....

Its been 25 hours since I dropped my car at the dealer and still no a single word from them on the status of my car...
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Thanks for the information. Since I got the card a couple weeks ago, I've been using it exclusively. Did I understand you guys correctly in saying that there's no limit as to the amount you can earn each year? How long does the charge need to stay on the card, until you get the earnings? For example, if I transfer a balance, then pay it off, do I get earnings or does it have to stay on there for a period of time. Last question for now, can the earnings be redeemed at anytime or do you have to be member for a certain period of time?
    If you signed up under 'The New GM Card' guidelines, yes there is no limit as to how much 5% rebates you can accumulate during the calendar year. However, the new program also sets a limit on how much accumulated earnings you can redeem at the time of lease or purchase....For example:

Impala = $2,000
    Prizm = $1,500

And so forth.

When I first got my GM Mastercard back in '99, it was the old 'Blue Card program'. That program had a big constraint in my opinion...if you wanted to buy or trade cars every couple of years, it would have taken forever to accumulate any significant amount of earnings, due to the $500.00 per year cap limit. To accumulate $1,500 under the old card program, it would have taken 3 years to do so! And to accumulate $3,500 7 years!. Due to this problem GM lost a good number of cardmembers who suddenly lost interest in charging their purchases on the card just because it was taking an aweful long amount of time to get to the earnings amount they were shooting for.

When the new program came out in March 2000, I immediately requested to be 'upgraded' from the Blue card account to the new GM Card Platinum Mastercard account. Right now we are getting close to $1,000 in earnings in less than 1 year!

When I but the Impala, I used only $340 of earnings that helped cover for the tag, license and other small items.

But like Nossirragh says, if you don't buy cars often 4 or 5+ years, then the old Blue card account might work better for you. If you buy cars more often, the new program seems to work better in the end.

In Canada, the GM Card is a Visa and their program guidelines are very similar to the old US blue card accounts.

In England they have 'The Vauxhall Visa Card' and in Australia 'The Holden Visa Card'. Only in the US the card is issued as a Mastercard.

Enjoy the card and charge every single purchase you make to it. My wife and I only use this card to make everyday purchases and even the utilities are charged to our account (To collect more of those juicy 5% rebates) and payoff in its enterity every month.
    The 5% card rebate earnings can be redeemed at ANY time; however, make sure that the model of interest participates in the GM card program...Saturns (Unless noted otherwise on seasonal promotions), Saabs, EV-1 vehicles are not allowed to participate. (It sucks because in Canada you can use your points on EVERY single vehicle GM produces...Saab, Isuzu, etc).

The earnings stay 'dormant' on your account for up to 7 years; however, if you default on your account obligations, the GM card can revoke or remove your earnings, so be careful and pay those bills on time ;-)
  • dewdrops38dewdrops38 Member Posts: 41
    I've been reading this board for quite some time now. I never posted because I never have the time to follow up, however, this cradle problem burns me up every time I read about it. I've noticed different opinions on this matter. Some say "as long as its not a safety issue, I can live with a little ting", while others say, like myself "how the hell do they know whether or not its a safety issue if they dont even know EXACTLY what it is and how to fix it PERMANENTLY"?

I've been to the dealer 4 times on this. Once not documented so the lemon thing is on hold until "one more and you're out", whatever that means. You lose either way, monetarily.

I had EVERY fix imaginable, all previously posted here. ENTIRE cradle, shims, control arm, mounting brackets, etc. The last fix was a "lubricant" (for lack of a better word) was shot into half dollar sized holes in order to correct the issue. My husband and I have been meaning to get the exact name of this product. I personally believe it is similar to the new "spray on truck bedding", if any of you have seen that. Its rather nice for a truck bed, but hardly a fix for a front end problem. In my opinion, this DID NOT correct the issue, it only covered it up. Surely after a season of salt and grit, the noise will return at which time, I already have it in writing through arbitration, the car is gone. Buyback? replace? whatever. It really sours one on a brand new vehicle, no matter what the make. Its very aggravating, especially when it is happening in other areas of my life also . ie bad replacement windows. ......

Well, nearly a year has elapsed since the original purchase of our Impala, and, well, we still love the car. Still die hard Chevy fans, and well, we got another one. Not a replacement for the first, but another to match. His and hers now? How goofy is that I ask myself. lol

They are both base models. One navy blue and one jet black. One is 3.4, one is 3.8. They're both great cars. I hope the front end problem is solved one fine day. My life has been so chaotic lately that I dont even think about it unless I come here to read. I WAS stewing over it, but now I stew over a teenager that I have., no time to think of anything else these days. Its my first teenager, the 2000 model? lol

To answer a post I noticed here on how to listen for it. I was at a drive up ATM, turned my wheels slowly with the window open and it was obvious quick clicking. I also hear it in my garage. An enclosed area, up against a wall, alley etc, with windows down. When it was pulled into the bay once, all the mechanics heard it and said, "oh, that noise"? Rather obvious.

I guess I've said enough.
    This document was NOT spell checked, sorry.
    Barb

PS. For the record. To quote my arbitrator:

1. Noises heard are not normal operation of the vehicle. Repair attempts to correct the problem have not been successful. This is a defect in material or workmanship.

2. The problem could be a substantial impairment of safety to the vehicle if it is not repaired properly. Unusual noises in the steering poses a concern.

3. The manufacturer states a comprehensive fix. The manufacturer is being given one more opportunity to fix the problem.
    I have been following your Impala cradle saga closely at the '2000 Impala' club in Yahoo. In your last post, you stated that you already had lost the arbitration proceedings for lack of 'documentation and good wording'. Based on your story, I believe you have a very strong case for lemon law, so then why did everyhting fell thru at the last minute??
    Its not a loss, not exactly. I am always posting here in a hurry, and never typing word for word as I should. According to the BBB/Lemon Law of Ohio, once this is on the books, even though my 30 day test drive period is over since the last "lube", I can still re-open it at any time, any mileage, as long as it is the same problem. Its all red tape, wording, but I DO have it all documented including the last letter I sent to the BBB after arbitration and after the 30 day test drive, that I am informing them of my dissatisfaction on the final repair attempt. It is not a comprehensive fix, it is only masking the problem, buying time. This letter is typed, copied and sent to all parties involved, with an official case #. As soon as the winter season is over, I have a feeling this whole mess is going to return.
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    You have similar problems and dissatisfaction. A very frustrating situation. We are all interested in the outcomes of your cases! I am still unconvinced that GM does not know the origin of the problem. I believe they do but are trying to avoid a massive recall. Thus the fix-this, fix-that response until you are worn down. And the notion of a lubricant fix is just ludicrous! Bushings on suspensions are not meant to be lubricated.....I, and others, will follow this matter with interest. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I will not have much to contribute as I put on only about 6,000 miles/year. My warranty will have expired or this problem will have been resolved before I encounter your current miseries. As an aside, I bought the Impala to take me into my early retirement years. I wanted a large car, gasoline mileage was not terribly important, safety was paramount (four-wheel large discs, excellent crash-test results, side air-bag on the driver's side, etc.). The Impala seemed to have it all! You know, I have owned Saturns since 1995 and they do have some flaws but, putting those aside, I enjoyed the Saturns. My experience with flaws (warped brake rotors) at the dealer was excellent: replaced with no questions asked. I went back to Chevrolet for a bigger car (I do not like the Saturn LS series) with the hope that the first FWD Impala was well-engineered. I noted an earlier comment on GM Beta testing and I hope the poster is not correct!! In any case, I do hope your experiences are not wide-spread but if they are, GM will have the good sense to do something about it for you and the many other buyers of Impalas and GM family related cars. BTW, I do remember the "lazy" rack and pinion steering problem of the 1980s. GM never admitted that one.....Good luck to all.
    To all of you that are having the engine cradle problems and steering problems. I think that GM will be forced to do something once the fleet cars start developing these problems. E.g. cop cars, taxi drivers etc. Cause cops, and other gov't agencies won't take crap from GM! So if you have a lemon right now, just let them do their repairs and if it still doesn't work make them buy the car back!!

The other scenario is that something terrible happens to a impala driver (god forbid!). But say someone dies due to a fault of the engine cradle! e.g. engine cradle falls apart at highway speeds and the car flips..person dies?

GM is so stupid that they don't put more effort in fixing this serious front end/engine cradle problem now! The more impalas that roll out the assembly line, the more money the company will lose if they are forced to recall vehicles.

I am glad that I bought the extra warranty, cause it seems to me that sooner or later my impala will run into the problems that some of you are facing!!

On another note, I was wondering whether all 4 of the round tail lamps light up or just the two on the side??
  • rb65djrb65dj Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am getting ready to buy a program 2000 Impala with 29,000. What should I look at or make sure to check. Want to avoid problems if possible. Didn't know if there is anything special to watch for? It drives, rides and looks great. I am trading a 1999 Astro Van to get my wife better gas mileage. The last Impala I owned was 1978 model. Loved it hope this one can live up to my expectations. Thanks for any info and advice.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Do you think these front end noises are across the entire W-body line or just confined to the impala and intrigue.

My intrigue has had most of its front end replaced, but still has the popping noises. These popping noises have been isolated to the front strut jounce bumpers. The only way to silence them is to lube them. A month or so later the noise will come back.

My intermediate steering shaft was replaced, this has done nothing to help the noise.

I have clunking noises sometimes when going over bumps.

When it is cold outside my REAR suspension will clunk over big bumps.

When i leased my intrigue it was my first car purchase in 12 years. It was a financial stretch for me. I was incredibly excited and enthusiastic about the car. Its engine and tranny are incredible, I love its looks and interior and the way it handles. But, boy has GM let me down. Do they even care about their customers.

I feel like they are driving me to the imports. GM is losing market share and seems adrift. I am incredibly disappointed in their company.

It doesn't seem that the grand prix and regal are suffering from these suspension maladies. I feel for you impala guys that are dealing with problems that the intriguers have been dealing with since 1998.

I feel a class action lawsuit coming on. Good luck guys.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Just the 2 Outboard Round Taillights Light up,(Head/Parking/Brake/Turn) and a side marker light on each side of the Taillamp housing that wraps around the quarter panel..(comes on w/head/parking lights) the inner 2 round lights are used for back up lights only and have a big round reflector around the back-up Lens....Don
  • jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    Only the outer taillights light up, the inner ones are reverse lights, unless you are one of those street racers who rig them up to light...
    Anyway, the cradle design may be at fault, or maybe the design of the reinforced police cradle(baby cops?)is okay, and the material choice is the problem like someone alluded to earlier, and I also mentioned. Either way, I agree with shamino, that if the problem exists in the police packages, too, then it's not just the regular production cradles(when the bow-tie breaks, the cradle will fall? Hope not!!!). If the police cradles show no problems, there still is a problem with the production unit. Something must be done, and espescially if someone gets injured/dies due to the design/choice of material defect. It's not like something you misuse/abuse and get into trouble with. This is a passive(for the(driver/owner), self generating problem, which I believe teo said may even be a contributing problem to the streering gear malady, though different symptoms. We just must all push forward with are knowledge, insight and corporate ablities if we are concerned in solving these problems so we can enjoy our wonderful cars the way we were intended to, even by Chevy/GM. It's their goof, not ours. They have to deal with it, or potentially lose many loyal, otherwise satisfied customers, and potential customers we have influence over. They wouldn't want to do that, would they? The truth is out there... We just have to find it! B) o~O--------
    Based on my own research, it appears to be that the only two cars in the entire GM North America line-up that have Aluminum engine cradles installed are the Y2K Impala and Montecarlo. All other vehicles from the W-body family and other platforms have STEEL cradles only. For instance one interesting fact is that the new Pontiac Bonneville has a Steel engine cradle but the hood is made of ALUMINUM. Sometimes I wished that GM had put that aluminum into other parts of the car (Hood, trunk lid, doors, roof, fenders) and had left that engine cradle ALONE and made in regular steel.

I am getting really upset at this whole ordeal....I find this UNACCEPTABLE on a $25K automobile. Safety items on any car today should be PERFECT, no flaws. GM intended to break new ground in aluminum structural vehicle applications, but something went wrong at the time of execution....oversight?, not enough testing....I would be really disturbing if GM released these cars knowing about these problems (Beta test principle) and fix the cars one a one to one basis.

Day 2 (Actually this is the 4th day the car is out of service due to this crappola) of this nonsense and no a single word yet from the dealer.

I have read the ongoing Intrigue owners saga as well, no wonder Olds is history today.

Of the other W-body cars, the Grand Prix, Century and Regal seem to be more problem...as far as I am concerned no more W-body cars for me.
    The Grand Prix, Century and Regal seem to be more problem FREE.
    You can edit your posts up to 30 minutes from the time they are first posted. Just click on the edit button, change what you want, then repost.

Don't know what to buy next. Gm has really got me gun shy. DC has many quality problems and their trannies stink. Ford has problems too and their tannies shift poorly and also stink.
    Yes, when the initial Police reports come in the %^&** will hit the fan if there are problems. In an earlier post, I noted that RCMP, OPP and possibly City Police were testing the Impala. I have never been a Police Officer but if I were, the last thing I need on a Police chase or whatever is a steering problem! We will hear soon unless those evaluations are suppressed. Even so, there are always leaks. The truth will come out. I hope it is positive for the future of GM/Chevrolet....
    I saw a few OPP (ontario provincial police)impalas when I was going on the 401 the other day. For those of you that don't know what the 401 is, it is a major highway up here in Canada.
    I guess a lot of drivers were caught by surprise that cops had impalas! It was funny how people moved out of my way or slowed down when I was driving my impala! I guess they thought I was a cop or something..but then again what cop would have a beautiful galaxy silver impala LS with a spoiler and sunroof eh?? lol
    If these police versions of the impala breaks down, I am sure we will hear about it in the news!
    Do any of you know anyone that works at GM?? Maybe they can give us the inside scoop on the progress in fixing the engine cradle problems!
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    maybe they were getting out of your way because they were afraid you'd lose control when your cradle broke! :0
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    AS I STATED IN MY TWO PREVIOUS POSTS, I DO NOT CURRENTLY OWN AN IMPALA (YET). UP UNTIL A COUPLE WEEKS AGO MOST EVERYONE WAS HAPPY WITH THEIR CARS. EVERY 10TH POST OR SO SOMEONE WOULD BRING FORTH THEIR STORY OF A PROBLEM. WITH WELL OVER 1300 IMPALA POSTS ITS APPARENT THAT THERE ARE SEVERAL PROBLEMS PLAGUEING THESE CARS. WITH OVER 200,000 IMPALA/MONTE CARLO'S ON THE ROAD AND MORE EACH DAY ITS JUST A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT AS A RESULT OF SUSPENSION / CRADLE PROBLEMS.

I SAW SNEAK PREVIEWS OF THIS IMPALA BACK IN 1998. CHEVY BOASTED THAT THIS CAR WAS DESIGNED TO LAST AT LEAST 400,000 MILES. (ITS OBVIOUS THEY PUT TOO MANY ZEROS ON THAT) WHEN THE CAR FIRST CAME OUT AND THE MAJOR MAGAZINES DID ROAD TESTS, SUCH AS MOTOR TREND, CAR & DRIVER, ROAD & TRACK AND OTHERS -- NOT ONE OF THESE MAGAZINES GAVE THE CAR MUCH ATTENTION. WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER CARS IN ITS CLASS IT NEVER FINISHED FIRST. I WAS WAITING FOR MOTOR TREND TO MAKE IT THE CAR OF THE YEAR IN 2000. ITS OBVIOUS ALL THE TESTERS WERE NOT IMPRESSED FOR WHAT EVER REASONS. EVEN SUPER CHEVY MAGAZINE SHYED AWAY AND GAVE VERY LITTLE PRESS TO THE CAR. THE BUICK ENGINE SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY POSITIVE THING GOING FOR IT RIGHT NOW.

I CAN'T BELIEVE AT THIS POINT THE GM ISN'T RECALLING THESE CARS. YOU WOULD THINK THAT AFTER SEEING WHAT HAPPENED TO FIRESTONE AND FORD WITH THE TIRE FIASCO THAT DOWN THE ROAD ITS GOING TO COST THEM BIG TIME. I DON'T KNOW WHAT AN ENGINE CRADLE COSTS OR SUSPENSION PARTS REPLACED, BUT ONCE THE 36000 MILES CLICK ON THE ODOMETER YOUR ON YOUR OWN. SOME ALREADY HAVE HAD TWO OR THREE CRADLES REPLACED.

I SEE LOTS OF IMPALAS UP HERE IN ONTARIO CANADA AND MANY OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENTS HAVE THEM. BUT LIKE A COUPLE PREVIOUS POSTS IF THEY DON'T PERFORM IT WILL BE BACK TO CROWN VICS I'M SURE!!.

THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO PUTS POSTS ON THE IMPALA BOARD HERE THAT KNOWS SOME EXECUTIVE AT CHEVY OR GM. A SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO SCAN ALL THE NEGATIVE POSTS ABOUT THE IMPALA / MONTE CARLO CRADLE / SUSPENSION / STERIO / LOOSE FITTING GLOVE BOXES ETC ETC..... TO LET THEM KNOW COLLECTIVLEY THAT THEIR ARE A LOT OF UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS.

HOPEFULLY GM WILL SOON FIX THESE PROBLEMS CORRECTLY. I WON'T BUY AN IMPALA UNTIL A PERMANENT FIX IS DONE ON THE CRADLE/SUSPENSION. I WILL JUST KEEP DRIVING MY 88 CAPRICE.
    I saw a few OPP (ontario provincial police)impalas when I was going on the 401 the other day. For those of you that don't know what the 401 is, it is a major highway up here in Canada.
    I guess a lot of drivers were caught by surprise that cops had impalas! It was funny how people moved out of my way or slowed down when I was driving my impala! I guess they thought I was a cop or something..but then again what cop would have a beautiful galaxy silver impala LS with a spoiler and sunroof eh?? lol
    If these police versions of the impala breaks down, I am sure we will hear about it in the news!
    Do any of you know anyone that works at GM?? Maybe they can give us the inside scoop on the progress in fixing the engine cradle problems!
    Heh! Nice to see some Canucks on the Forum. I would be very interested in knowing how the OPP make out with the Impala. They put some serious miles on each year on the 401. If any one has a source on this, let us know. Persons (Police Officers) in those extreme use conditions do not hold back on criticisms; unlike persons like me who drive 10 miles to work. Their reports must be out there in the internet.......
  • hoowahoowa Member Posts: 15
    Why doesn’t someone who has an Impala Web site create an online “database” which allows owners to answer certain questions about their Impala’s reliability. Such as if they had they engine cradle problem and was it fixed. How many miles did it have and how old was the car when they first had the problem. Ask for the build date and current number of miles. Ask what other problems they’ve had and when. While this is a statistically weak method as it doesn’t provide a random sampling, it might give us a general idea of what percentage of cars have these problems and if they are limited to certain production times.
    No caps please.
  • garyc7garyc7 Member Posts: 1
    Good morning, I wanted to post this for anyone thinking about buying an Impala. I bought mine March 1, has 28000 on it. Tuesday evening while on my way home, a fully loaded log truck could not stop at an intersection and I hit him head on.
    The Impala is totaled. I'm fine except for soreness. The front end is completely deystroyed but the doors still open. The body shop guy was suprised to see me walking in. I would recommend this vehicle for anyones family. Thanks
    Glad you are OK! Indeed, the Impala is a very sturdy car...too bad the front end issues are damaging the reputation of an otherwise fine vehicle.

Day 5th of the saga and still the dealer keeps very tight lipped.....
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    garyc7, sorry for the loss of your car, glad you can thru OK. The Impala has tested quite well in all crash tests.

I thought I would mention that I serviced my transmission fluid and filter last week (28k miles). The trans uses a re-useable type gasket on the pan. Don't let the quick lube teenagers tell you that a new gasket is needed. Naturally a visual inspection will so any problem with the gasket.

Replace the trans filter and you will need to add about 7 - 8 quarts of Dexron /Mercon III fluid. You need to drive the car and recheck the oil level. The transaxle has some thermal control valves in it that control oil level in certain areas of the trans and you need to make sure that these areas are refilled for the proper level of fluid to be reached.

The fliter can be broken open to inspect for trash from the transmission. Ours had some very fine metal particals in it. This stuff was prolly from the manufacturing process.

A product called Lube Guard is a good additive for this transaxle. I have used it for years in transmissions.
    Received call from the dealer....the car is parked, nothing has been done to it, except to place an order for some 'replacement' parts. The Service guy doesn't know exactly what parts were ordered, but for the looks of it, this car very likely will spend a good part of next waiting for these (It takes 7 to 8 business days to get the parts).

I will be calling the Service Manager as he is working on the situation directly and find out exactly what was ordered (I believe I have the basic right to know).

The longer the car stays at the dealer, the faster it will be officially declared a 'LIMON' by Florida law. 15 Days out of service is all needed for the same problem. 10 More days to go......

Has anyone looked under a 2001 Impala? Does the cradle looks different? What about the welds and other suspension components??

VERY UPSET AT THIS WHOLE ORDEAL!
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Is your dealer supplying you with a free loaner vehicle while yours
    is sitting and waiting for parts?

I would think they owe you that much.
    In that respect I can't complaint. The Service Manager provided me with a brand new 2001 'rental' Chevy Metro 4-door automatic with only 278 miles in the odo. He gave me the car without me having to ask for it. GM is paying for it and for the looks of it, I doubt I will get to see the car again until the end of next week.

The Metro is a joke performance wise...it is a 1.0L 3 Cylinder 'Cushman' golf cart. The tranny is a 3-speed auto, so you can imagine the thrills I am having each time I seat behind the wheel...punch the accelerator and the cars shakes and shudders, takes a 5 second pause and then accelerates. This car's 0-60 time must be at least 30 miles going straight. This car really makes you appreciate the goodness of the monster 3800 V6 engine and the tranny we have in the Impala.

But not everything about the Metro is that bad. Actually, Dura, you'll be interested to know that the standard AM/FM radio (No Tape) sounds 1000 better than the 'premium' radio in the Impala LS. Rich deep bass, Clear and crisp high tones...you can feel that bass rebouncing on your legs coming from the front speakers...what's up with that?

For it beign a $10,000 'EL CHEAPO' car, let me tell you that fit, finish and materials are not that bad. The dashboard and the center console feels much tighter adjusted than the one in the Impala and the plastic doesn't creak when pressed in. No interior creaks, squeaks or rattles and oh, and the steering feels tight and free of vibrations and clunks altough it is dangerously vague (It reminds me of driving a shopping cart at 40MPH). Seats are OK and the car is not that bad looking inside, but in some details in the interior fit and finish dept, the little Metro sedan can easily put the Impala to shame. The A/C is good and surprinsingly powerful...

Would I buy one! NO WAY!, good thing GM is axing these little critters for good. These cars are too small, too slow, too vague and too dangerous in normal driving.

Gas Mileage is impressive, well around 42MPG with the A/C...excellent for meeting CAFE guidelines.

So, again, I am not in a rush. GM is paying for this golf cart, the car is sitting at the dealer waiting for parts and accumulating out of service days to officially qualify under Lemon law and meanwhile, I am studying an analyzing my options after this ordeal ends..

Its hot today..time for some refreshing LEMONADE and Doc Otis..
    I was wondering why Caddy and Buick didn't introduce the aluminum engine cradles on their new product line? Since this cradle is suppose to be a technological innovation, then the top brands in GM should use this technology right??
    I'm thinking maybe GM chose to test their new ideas on Chevys first..since more people will buy chevy then either caddy or buick! They can collect huge amounts of data on these brand new engine cradles, then iron out all the bugs before putting them in their high end luxury cars!

Oh well, I guess I never learn..always buying a first year production model that are bound to have problems!! :(
    I think my Impala will be the 'Guinea Pig' when they attempt to perform repirs next week. I still don't know what parts were ordered but I suspect the Rack and Pinion, intermediate shaft and perhaps the cradle itself are on that order.

Still no word from the Service Manager as to what exactly they intend to do to 'correct' the problem.

GM would have save themselves a lot of trouble by not putting these cradles without making sure about long term issues with the use of Aluminum under high torsion and temperature.

An Impala with a STEEL cradle, that would have been just perfect.
    I'll list it until my fingers are blue.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/gmlemons/