Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Compact Pickup Comparison: Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, B-Series, & Hombre

Comments

• webbdwebbd Member Posts: 176
    I think 95% for any vehicle, even the saturn, is probably a little optimistic. At least 10% of any vehicle's parts probably come from Canada, Mexico, Germany, or Japan.

But the Saturn's close enough to being all-American.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    I think that Vince is pointing out that not all Toyotas are flawless and not all Rangers are problematic (as some narrow-minded Yota fans on this board tend to recite).

Whether or not you come out ahead or behind on the Ranger versus the Tacoma won't be known until you finally trade, sell, or lease-return the vehicle. Vince's luck with Rangers has supported his OPINION that one would receive a better ownership value with the Ranger. This is not to say that the exact opposite hasn't happened with other Ranger or Tacoma owners. I'd say that it's probably a toss-up (which seems to be the reason that this board has been going for over a year).

"How is it that the statistics (CR, J.D. Powers, Auto magazines, etc) are not totally trustworthy, yet, there IS a consensus, according to you, among all the owners here, domestic and import, that, on average, a Tacoma will have better reliability than a Ranger?"

Have you seen someone post that the Ranger is a more reliable truck than the Tacoma? All I've seen is people attacking the naiveté that all Tacomas are flawless and all Rangers are lemons.

I formed my own OPINION using my own personal ownership experiences with Toyota, friends/acquaintances experiences with Toyota, conversations/dealings with mechanics, data from publications (biased and non-biased), etc...

I just didn't say "J.D. Powers said it was true, so that's the FACT!!!"
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Well at least i have the option to use it as either one!
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    I think vince goes a little farther than the way you're presenting him CT. His post, for example, uses my name as one saying that there is a huge quality difference between the Tacoma and the Ranger. I don't think I've ever said that but rather that I do see a difference (never said HUGE), that I've had some bad luck with Ford myself, and that I think the Toyota is worth the extra money. For that I'm labeled an arrogant yodahead that claims Toyotas are flawless. I don't recall any Toyota owner here ever saying that. Vince, on the other hand, lives for finding any Toyota with a problem. When he finds one it's as if he found the Holy Grail and uses it for as many degrading posts as possible.
    I'm not labeling you as one of the close-minded Toyota fanatics (I'm not saying there aren't Ranger guys that aren't like that too). You seem like a reasonable person 99% of the time when it comes to either of the trucks.

The prime suspect seems to have been absent from these boards for quite a while. I wonder why we have been so blessed...
    I imagine you're referring to spoog which is a little over zealous at times. I just don't see you, for example, as a fanatic because you prefer the Ranger and would like that to go both ways. Unfortunately, most Toyota owners are labeled as fanatics by many in these Forums and it's difficult not to throw back occasional confrontational replys in return. I'd rather keep the conversations on a higher level.
  • tacomasrocktacomasrock Member Posts: 11
    That's not bad. It means I'm happy about my purchase. I think you would be hard pressed to find as many loyal ranger fanatics as yoda heads.

vince only counts as 1 guys.
    Your approach was destined to be more productive than that of mine--I just pulled into the nearest toyota dealership I came to, grunted toward the vehicle I wanted, and threw my cash in the salesman's face (much to his delight).

Now I spend all my time trying to justify my decision through selective statistics and quotations from Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers while dismissing the complaints and problems cited by other toyota owners as being "false or unfounded."

But seriously, other than maybe Spoog, I've never seen any toyota owner here post that all Tacomas were flawless. In fact, there just aren't a lot of toyota owners here period.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    I have found many of the Toyota fanatics here to be over defensive in justifying their decisions. I think Spoog and Vince8 tend to be overboard in their opinions and as such, incur the reaction that appears.
    I am a major Ford fan and probably will always be. However, I now drive a Dakota Quad cab. It has several attributes that greatly impresses me, including the 4.7L engine. I can only hope that it gets as good or better reliability as I have had with my Fords. Yesterday, I was at a mechanice's shop that I know and respect and the owner buddy of mine came out and saw my QC. He was entralled with it and we discussed it in length. He may be trading his F150SC for one. His is the same logic as mine. He needs a truck that is able to haul a good size trailer. He wants a smaller truck than the F150, but not too small. He likes the 4-doors. He also does not like the fuel mileage and styling of the new F150s. I don't thnk the fuel mileage is that big of a difference, but it ges to show that there is a lot of different needs out there and we have to find the vehicle that best suits our needs.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    As much as I may come across as being a blind Ford fanatic I'm not. Its just that when ever a Ford person says they have had great reliability/quality from any Ford product its seems as though this just can't be from a few certain individuals. I admit Fords have problems and are not the most trouble free vehicle on the road. As was stated, IN MY EXPERIENCE all my Ford products have been just fine. I cannot dispute the numbers. Yes, generally a Tacoma may have fewer problems. But to say all Rangers are lemons and will not last to 100K?? In todays paper they have 2001 Ranger 4x4 XLT 4.0 SOHC automatics for 18,999 8 of them! Same dealership also has Toyota's, they have Tacoma's 2.7 4x4 for 18,777! and only 2 of them. Which is the better value?
    I had to buy a new bumper from a dealer, OUCH 268 bucks! The stepside bumper is "special" for this box. Now its going to cost me another 145bucks to have it painted. This is proving to be expensive. I searched the junkyards far and wide with no luck along with the internet.
    As far as my opinion on a full size.. The Silverado is winning awards left and right and should not be overlooked. The F150 series however comes in a very cool 4-door stepside that just can't be beat on looks (My opinion). Once again it comes down to what you are going to use it for.
  • madhatr880madhatr880 Member Posts: 29
    Any truck you buy will last you (with some exceptions beyond control) as long are you are willing to keep them up. The problem comes in do you want to sink the money in to that truck to keep it running. This is were I choose toyota. ford is my next choice vice. I have had fords and toyotas. I just found the toyota to need a little less maintenance than the ford. that doesnt make ford a bad truck or even me a yotahead, simple mind fanatic. the truth is i am looking at a sport trac for my wife right now (mainly because i really like them) and i will not feel any giult for it. as far a better deals between the prices of trucks versus value if you dont like a truck (say if you like yota and not ford) the i quess that ford just isnt a better value for you is it. vice i can tell you probably wont ever own a yota. well then that is not the best value for you. take this to mind when ford releases their off-road package i am sure the price will go up on the ranger, probably to around the price of a tacoma. if the ford just happens to be more which will you think is a better value for you buck

just a thought to ponder.
    Well, I've been frequenting this particular discussion forum for over a year now, and I've seen many more than just spoog post "misguided" claims.

Usually, they have just bought a Tacoma and disappear after a week or two, as they run out of the marketing jargon that the salesman fed them and have a very limited knowledge of both Rangers and Tacomas.

The same thing happens in here with Ford/Ranger owners too. It's the same with all makes if you just scan over these message boards.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    what happened to that guy. I almost miss him. Actually, I really miss the weekly TSB post. C'mon spoog, don't leave us hanging!!
    i dont know what happened to my post. anyway the jest of it was that i agree with webbed. the vehicle you get has to match what you want and what is practicle for you.
    as for the yotahead and simple minded fanatic of yota, i am not. i do own a new toyota and i have owned ford as well. both are great trucks. i do however steer from chevy i have had to many problems with them. the fact is that people are going to go with a vehicle that has been more faithful in the past. my ford was a good truck but i have had fewer problems with toyota therefore i decided to back with yota. the truth is that anytruck (with the exception of some situations) will last you as long as you are willing to make it. it just depends on how much money you are willing to sink into it to keep it working. my experience has been toyota just takes a little less babying. i dont remember anyone saying that every ford is a lemon. the only thing i have really encounterd is that owners of other makes seem to seek out toyota problems and attack others with the information that they have found. most are not ready for the come backs that they recieve when yota owners attack extensively documented problems the vehicles have.
    as far as the better value thing goes, who is to say what is the better value. better value only applies to what you like. if you dont like ford or you dont like toyota then no matter which is cheaper it wouldnt be the better value for you.

vince i assume you would never buy a toyota because you like ford so much. this to me explains what is the better value for you. you would just not be happy with a yota. you also argue a lot about price and that the ford is a better value because of the options availiable at a lower price. my question is that ford is going to come out with a new off-road package soon that will more than likely bump the price of the ranger up to or more than the yota. who will you then think is the better value. just a thought to ponder.
    the price of the new offroad pkg is not going to be as much as the Toyota TRD. You who claim they purchased their V6 automatic, TRD's loaded for 21K or so are making me laugh.
    Frankly, I can't see the advantage of paying 2-3K more for a perceived quality/reliability advantage. Please see the new Motor Trend. The hammer the new 4x4 Tacoma 4door on interior quality and plastics. And please note the price....
    well i found my post i dont know how i read the post right after mine (165) before i ever wrote mine(164) something is screwed up
    on another note. Those of you who want your "Toyota is god" bubbles popped today, head on over to Tacoma problems board....
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Stopped at Toyota Dealership today and looked at two Toyota Tacoma Double Cab trucks. Both were 4WD, automatic and had TRD package. The cost was 27,7XX and 28,3XX on the stickers. Who are the suckers that are going to pay this much for a compact truck? I like Toyota but would get a Ranger, Frontier, Dakota or S10 and put the cash I saved toward a new boat before paying 28K for a compact. What makes the Toyota worth so much?
    We never said Toyota is God vince. We just said that Toyota has better quality in general than Ford just as you admitted a few posts ago. Does that mean that you're a "Yodahead" too and that you think Toyota is God? Away, go back to getting off on reading about any Toyota probems that you can find. I wonder if your wife is even close to as stimulating to you as that.
    Don't forget spoog's 4wheeler article!!! He must have posted that thing at least 100 times, and I'm not even exaggerating. I'd bet that he had it memorized. I am wondering what happened to him...
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Rumor has it that his Toyota broke down and he was committed to an asylum.
  • vinceg8vinceg8 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys and you geeky yoda heads. I finally got my bumper painted, I borrowed the money from my mom. she reads the popular mechanics to me, thats how i get all those really smart stats. She also took my 4 wheeling in the hills. she won't let me back down the driveway anymore cuz i hit my new tenspeed bike last time. i got a really good value on it too. i don't see why some people spend 2-3 hundred extra for a scwhinn. I can get just as many miles on my huffy. it even came with an extended super warranty, but i will never need that. i can't believe that i am so much smarter than everyone. i am really lucky. i hope to get my own license some day. the end
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    When I posted last week to invest $3000 in this stock rather than a charger you would now have $10788.46 I'm in it for the long haul with this one, I'm very confident in this company.Another one I researched is ibui,a penny stock with very good potential. I know this a truck topic but just wanted to let all you guys know that I'm pretty thorough in all my research and thats why I drive a ZR2. :)
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    For those that are interested in discussing what they think of this website..., please visit in our New & Views discussion Tell us what you think?

If you have questions about the Pickups Message Board, here's: Questions about the Pickups Message Board.

And now back to the discussion of Compact Pickups: Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, B-Series, & Hombre. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
    I kind of miss the guy too.. Spoog, come out come out where ever you are..
    Allknowing, I notice how you fail to respond to the person who also went to a Toyota dealership and saw the outragouse prices. The price debate is over here bud. Toyota's cost a heck of a lot more at sale so I sure hope your resale is better.. Man, I must have really deflated that Toyota is god ego of yours. You really have a chip on your shoulder for me...
    Enjoying that open axle in that so called superior offroad Tacoma? LOL!!....
    I went to Edmund's "Ranger III" forum and I'm having trouble finding anyone talking about what great "value" they got with their Rangers. Maybe you can help me because I must be doing something wrong. All I saw were people upset with Ford yelling about squeaks., no power, only getting 8 miles per gallon of gas, lights that won't shut off, oil filters that can't be removed, transmission problems, etc. Is it just me or are these people obviously Tacoma owners using fake names and posting fake problems?
    What am I supposed to respond to about the price of the Tacoma? I never said that they weren't more expensive. I just said that they're worth the extra money. It appears that the participants in the "Ranger III" forum wished that they had spent an extra two grand for something else but the Ranger too.
    of course the resale is better-- price identical rangers and tacomas on kbb or nada for a 2 or 3 year old 4x4 pickup with several options we're talking about a 5 grand diff-- but i live in the northwest so maybe its a whole other ballgame where vince lives
    i did look at the ranger bulletin board, man i am so lucky i didn't get tricked into buying a ranger. i will sleep better even though my tacoma has an "inferior" bumper. but my bumper never got dented, hmmmmmmmmmmm.......
    you have got serious problems man. First off if you don't want to believe what we say about our trucks that is one thing. but for you to say that I am lying about paying 22,500 is another. we never said you were lying about your ideas we have just said you were misinformed or looney we never called you a liar. to say that I am is very arrogant of you. if you still don't believe me give your mail address and I mail you a copy of the price. and your open rear-end thing maybe its your head that's open since you keep repeating the same carp cant you come up with something new. (if you cant tell that really pissed me off)

moparbad, if the trucks you looked at cost that much, you need to find another dealer or move back in the country were they don't add on so many import taxes. the sticker on my truck was 24,500 and I paid 22,500. were I live in Mississippi a ford ranger completely loaded can be bought for the same price as a toyota or at least within a grand not two or three.
    I paid 18.5 for a Ranger with every option (less ext-cab and LSD).

My old man bought a Ranger with absolutely every option available for 19.5 last year.

Both of the trucks came with great financing too. I got 3.9%/60months, and my pops took .9%/36months.
  • dewindtdewindt Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to hear from different compact truck owners as to what MPG you are getting, both city and freeway driving. Especially 6 cyl folks.
    I've got a 4L 4wd auto Ranger. I can just eek out 20mpg in the summer with 100% highway driving.

It's dismal in the winter with long warm-ups (Chicago area) and short trips. I've seen it dip down to as low as 12mpg (and typically averaging 14mpg).

With mixed city and highway driving, it's usually around 17mpg.

The one plus with it is that mpg hardly decreases when towing around a couple of thousand pounds. I've gotten 18mpg towing my sleds up to Wisconsin at 70mph or so.
    problem room, you will see there are unhappy Tacoma owners also.....
    I live in the NW and have priced the Tacoma over and over and over and over and over and over again for the last 3 years. Not once has a Tacoma like optioned ever been within 1K, ever. TRD's are spendy and go for 24-26K in this region, the 4doors are about 27-28K.
    As far as the OPEN AXLE, truth hurts huh? YOu paid a whole bunch of extra money for some Bilstein shocks and springs and a locker you will use maybe 2 percent of your total driving time. Other than that ONE tire is spinning back there...
    Enjoy the sticker... LOL...
    Resale again.... the Tacoma resale better be higher, you paid more when you bought it....
    We have gone the KBB path before. The difference is not that much, especially when you option LIKE trucks.
    Yeah allknowing, all those people in the Tacoma problem rooms are fakes, Toyota's NEVER have problems, EVERY one is Perfect...
    You are lucky. The dealers in my area are awful. In 98 and 99 I shopped 7 different Toyota dealers in two states and spanning a distance of 200 miles. Not one of the dealers was willing to move more than 500 off of list. Not one of the dealers would order a truck with options I really wanted. All the domestic dealers were better. Most were eager to get me the truck I wanted for 500 to 1000 over dealer invoice (not list). The Tacoma's that I mentioned in my earlier post 27K+, they were not even loaded, and the funniest thing is that the dealer had a separate sticker listing paint protection and fabric protection that added another 500 to the price.
    It's my opinion that Toyota's are not worth the extra cash, and yes the Toyota's are 3 to 5K more than a Ranger, Frontier, or S10 (in my area) because the Toyota dealers are that GREEDY.
    I like the product, the sales channel needs improvement.
    Putting words in my mouth again. I have never said Tacomas are trouble free but rather that they are generally more trouble free than the Ranger. I would expect Tacoma problems to be posted in a "Tacoma Problem" forum, however, I just found it amusing that in the Ranger III forum (not a Ranger problem forum) the only person not complaining about the Ranger was YOU.
    Why would you continue to price Tacomas over the years if you hate them so much, are you secretly waiting for the right price so you can afford one?--and yes the kbb diff IS about 4-5k -- 'nuff said
    Hope you plan to drive your ranger into the ground or else you're screwed on resale-- oh yeah, you've had it a year or 2, it must be on its last leg by now. do you just like to argue? you have no valid points
    There is a big difference between not buying Toyota because you can not afford it and not buying Toyota because it is not a good value.
    It is like the government buying $300 scredrivers and $1100 toilet seats. It was not because the parts were better quality, it was due to a lack of intelligence. Why pay 4-5K more for a brand name? Toyota Tacoma is not 4-5K better quality and functionality. What does the Toyota do that is superior to what Ford, GM, Dodge and Nissan do?
    I have owned all of the above brands of trucks and I can say that the Toyota I owned had the edge in quality, however, it was not worth the difference in $.
    it was a sarcastic joke, bud
    besides if you invest an extra grand now you will get an extra 4-5 grand in resale plus any added benefits of owning a quality "name brand" truck
    where's barlitz he'll back up the investing part
    I understand what you were trying to say, but the government analogy is just plain bad. The government doesn't invest $300 on a screwdriver or $1100 on a toilet seat for lack of intelligence. The actual prices of the screwdrivers and toilets are pretty close or cheaper than you or I could buy them for, but if the government tells us that they cost $300 or $1100, then they can tuck away the excess $1350 or so to fund more F-22's or Ohio Class Subs. This is just the way the Federal Government budgets.

To some people, like myself, and possibly Tacomasrock or Allknowing, having the best quality is more important than the extra 2-3 grand the product may set us back. When I shop for jeans, I always buy Levis even though they cost more per pair (anywhere from $5-10 a pair more) than the competitors that I would consider buying. The price difference is irrelevant to me because I plan on wearing those jeans until they absolutely fall off, and I know that with their meticulous construction, they are up to the task. I don't like anything that wears out fast. Of course, this is a rather simple analogy, but we all have different tastes. Some want to save a buck or two and some want to reduce the risks or headaches in their lives.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I've been working outside the last few weeks and its cold.I'm gonna be creating my own website where I'll be posting photos of my trucks past and present and probably future the way I go through em.The ZR2 is a very solid and impressive little truck the instatrac 4x4 is great,I haven't seen any of the new Rangers around yet I wanted to take a look at the new offroad if they're availible, although I'll wait a year or two before my next purchase.
    Using the government purchasing overpriced items for an example was not such a great idea. Here is a different approach. Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, are not all the same quality, but is Toyota better quality or only perceived quality. I think the cost difference is paying for hype, not superior quality. In the late 70's and 80's the imports did have superior construction and reliability, this is not true anymore yet the "quality myth" remains in the minds of many people.
    Let me add to your Levis jeans story. Aalfs Manufacturing is located in my hometown and they manufacture denim items. They manufacture or have made all major brands of jeans using the same machines, employees, materials, and same quality level. The extra $5 dollars you paid for meticulous construction is very similar to the extra 1 to 7 thousand dollars that people pay for Toyota, you paid for the Levis tag, the meticulous quality was due to perception, not reality.
    I'm in a unique situation here because I own both the Ford and a Toyota. In the first few years of ownership of my wife's Ford I've had three recalls, the throttle body replaced and the tie rod end replaced. I paid about 2K more for the Toyota and I haven't had any problems yet. The Ford is a good truck but I'm the type of person that hates to take my vehicle back to the dealer for anything. That's why I think the extra quality edge of the Toyota is well worth the money to me.
  • bartlindenbartlinden Member Posts: 11
    You asked for it, so I'm posting it. I have owned two Rangers - a 1990 XLT Supercab (2.9L auto) and a 2000 XLT Supercab (3.0L auto). The '90 had 176,000 miles on it when I sold it and was a always a dependable truck and a great value. My 2000 has just a bit over 9,000 miles on it (I know, it's not much yet) with no troubles or complaints. I got a great deal on it last May - 16.9K and it's loaded, including 4 door option. It rides comfortably, gets good gas mileage (about 18.5 combined, 21-22 highway), and looks great. I'll admit it doesn't overwhelm you with its power, but it is after all just a 3.0L and has enough to suit me. I also like the FFV engine. I just ran my first tank of E-85 through it and it got better mileage using it than I expected it to (averaged about 16 MPG) so I can drive it and not pollute as badly and save gas too. Now I'm not going to be sucked into a "my truck is better than your truck" argument, but I love my Ranger. And isn't that all that should matter?
  • laststandlaststand Member Posts: 2
    Hi I am new to the truck world. Actually I am interested in purchasing my first truck. It will be a used one. I need one as a second vehicle to pull a boat (1000 lbs weight total with trailer) and to due the usual light hauling when you live in the country. I am leaning towards a small six engine (3 litre). I have been told that FORD Rangers and MAZDA BXXXX series are basically one in the same truck except for body styling. Can any one provide me with details and opinions on what I should buy and why. I am looking for a basic truck ...nothing fancy...an extend a cab is not required (but nice though). The most important thing is reliability and cost. Is there anything I need to know about these model years in the ranger and B3000(?) Thanks all.
    My 01' Tacoma gets what I consider to be very good gas mileage. Around town i average between 17 to 19 mpg and on a recent road trip i got 23-24 mpg. Pretty good for a 4x4 extended cab V-6 truck.

Vince8

read the post better. You said 24-27 i told you my sticker price was 24,500. By the way a z-r2 also has bilstein shocks, are you saying it is not a good value because of this. You know most people i have encountered on this site at least are open minded about topics and even if they disagree are still open to the fact that they don't know everything. you on the other hand must be "The Automobile Messiah". you know absolutly everything and everyone else is just ignorant to the truth unless their experience or knowlege is agreed with by yourself. To me this way of thinking and acting is ignorance in itself. Have you ever owned a toyota. The only thing we "Yotaheads" and even webbed have tried to get you to consider is that your odds of having to fix a ford before a yota are cosiderably greater. You may have the money to fix a truck when it breaks. I on the other hand don't. 6,8,10, years from now when my truck is no longer under warranty i will rest better feeling the sense of security (whether it is real security or not) that i won't have to shell the cash for a new tranny or some other major costly problem. Like it or not ford, chevy, and dodge are more likely to have these major problems before a toyota. At the cost of rebuilding a transmission (which i used to do) around 1500 dollars and more depending on problems, that extra money at the purchase just makes a lot more since to me. Consider this also. Statistically the above problems are going to happen to domestics before a yota on most cases. After just two of these problems you have already spent the difference between the two vehicles. I really don't care about my open rear-end were as it makes no difference to me. My truck does everything I need it to. I also think it is sad that you can not compromise to the fact that no one here is saying that rangers just flat out suck. In fact most people I have heard so far have said that they happen to be a very good truck. It just so happens that in their own experiences with the two trucks, they like the yota better.
    Yeh, what really matters is that you're happy with your truck and I'm glad that you are. This forum was originally created by CT as the "War of the Compact Pickups" but has apparently been changed by Edmunds. You should expect some competition because of that, however, people with obsessive mental problems like Vince tend to go too far. He may not even own a truck or even be old enough to drive in reality. I've seen him in other forums and his actual goal is to simply stir things up. Too bad he's not smart enough to say something worthwhile though as he may be more interesting.
    Moparbad, if you just put on a pair of Levis (kind of like just sitting in or test driving a Toyota) or compare their stitching and denim weight to that of similarly-priced, or even higher-priced competitors, you will see that there is nothing "perceived" about their quality. They've been around for almost 150 years for a reason. I've owned many pairs which have lasted me years now. I can't say the same for some of the competitor jeans I've owned. Jeans, like Tacomas, may be produced in plants alongside competitor jeans or trucks, but it's the methods and parts involved in their construction which make the difference to the owner. Obviously, the Tacoma now uses GM alternators and batteries, and this may account for some of the problems out there, but the Tacoma is a long way from being a 100% replica of an S-10 or Ranger.

Seeing as I can no longer quote Consumer Reports or J.D. Powers, both of which handily favor the reliability of Toyotas and the Tacoma, I'm left, like everyone else, to give my personal experience.

I owned a '95 ranger. I only experienced two problems with it--the wiper blades came on whenever they wanted and sometimes wouldn't go off unless I pulled over and turned the truck off, and the same thing went for the interior dome light. I got the problem fixed expertly for only $165, so I wasn't too upset. But I moved into a '98 Toyota later on, did 55,000 trouble-free miles, and then traded up for my current Prerunner which has 29,896 trouble-free miles. I will pay the extra money to have a trouble-free experience, and this is how Toyota stays in business. Again, there was nothing "perceived" in my ownership.
    gets larger and larger allknowing. I must have really hit some soft spots and popped that "Toyota is god bubble" but good. :-))
    Toyota has lost its edge in the Quality and value equation. In the 80's and 70's Toyota had the quality and value edge hands down over the domestics. Today however its a different story. I'm telling you read Motor Trends truck of the year article. They don't like the interior quality of the Tacoma at all! Cheap plastics and quality!
    As far as resale, I will say it again. I have punched so many damn times the same numbers it just plain getting old. The resale of a LIKE Toyota is a bit better but in no way 4-5K better. Where the heck are you getting your numbers from? Please list what you punched in and I would like to see this 4-5K resale difference. The resale is a bit better on a Tacoma, but not the thousands of dollars you hope for. And as I keep saying until my face is blue, RESALE SHOULD BE BETTER ON A TACOMA, YOU PAID MORE AT PURCHASE. Now, if I take the 3-4K I saved in NOT buying a Tacoma and invested it at a 15% return over 5 years. Who is going to be ahead then ? Vehicles are NOT investments they are a depreciating asset, ask any investor. Unless you own a 1957 T-Bird or a 57 Belair in prime condition, your car is going to depreciate not appreciate as some Toyota owners wish and want you to think.
    And a new Ford Ranger owner has entered the room. A owner who has had great reliability/quality. How are you Toyota boys going to shoot bart down now?
    Some of you veiw me as narrow minded. You may want to take a step back and look at yourselves. This stigma of "Toyota can do no wrong" is old and crumbling. Better take a look around the net and visit other rooms. There are plenty of dissatisfied Toyota owners out here.
    No bubble to break my friend. You are somewhat entertaining as much as an exhibition of "dorkiness" can be entertaining. If you enjoy being the "Ford Ranger God" of stupidity as well as continuing having no respect from even the Ranger guys, go for it. For a while back a month or so ago you almost acted human and had a few posts worth reading. I guess a continuation in that direction will not be in the cards for you though.
This discussion has been closed.