Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    I'm with you. Like you, I'm even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (*warily* though) regarding tranny damage, but only because I personally haven't experienced it (no offense intended to those who have, but I have to go on what I personally know about the issue, ultimately). Unfortunately, the descriptions here and elsewhere raise a plausibility problem with Mazda's claim.

The official statements we've seen to date are too "thin" to be credible. You want to claim that this hard shifting bit doesn't damage transmissions ? I'm sorry, that's VERY hard to believe, show me your evidence. If it's really that cut and dried, there should be no risk in doing so.

Otherwise, sorry again, your motivations become suspect. That's where the offensiveness begins, in my opinion. It seems like we're being sold for stupid, or ignorant, or both, to date.

There's all kinds of facts they could offer to help us understand the issue. How frequently does this seem to happen ? What are the risks to the transmission ? How do they know ? What should people do to report a problem ? Under what circumstances should owners report a problem ? What symptoms do people typically report ? Are there any workarounds available ? Who is working the problem at Mazda ? How high a priority is this for them ? When do they think they'll have a fix ? How about a statement of committment to the product from a heavy-weight manager ?

Come on, guys, we're talking - t r a n s m i s s i o n s - here!

Determining which of these bits are "safe" is not my expertise, but any of these points would help relieve worry and frustration. They have experts in PR and customer service who have the training and skills to make this happen. I understand the desire to not trumpet this to all the world. But you have to respond to your customers in need with more than some boiler-plate mumbo jumbo. (The latest statement touched on a couple of these points, but not in a credible fashion, in my opinion).

Sadly, I think your point on people indicating they're going with a different brand is what it will take.

When they first brought out the MPV, I really liked the design, but because we tow a small pop-top camper at altitude where power is down, I wasn't willing to buy one at first.

I did call and inquire about the prospects of a bigger engine though. I'm not saying that my call made the difference, but enough calls might have (as did some unfriendly press coverage). Mazda responded with a bigger engine - the one they should have used in the first place given the competition at the time (with all due to respect to you 2000-01 owners out there, of course).

So perhaps there's hope. Mazda might be one of those manufacturers that "learns slowly".

Time will tell...

-brianV
  • dlmc4dlmc4 Member Posts: 26
    I recently wrote to Mazda via their Web Site and expressed my frustration at the lack of a fix for this problem after months and months have now gone by. I also threw out the extended warranty idea to see what they would say. Here's their response in a nutshell -

Don't bother me with this question. Call your local Mazda service manager with regards to this and he will have the latest info regarding the fix or timeline.(His standard response - They know about it. They have their best people on it. When they have the answers, I'll be the first to know.) And as far as that extended warranty thing ... fuhhgetaboutit.

This specific dealership has 8 known cases similar to mine waiting for the magical fix. I didn't ask for sales numbers so I don't know what the percentages are but I just figured that I would throw it out there as some people were discussing this earlier.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    haven't posted here in a while, FYI my '02 LX has 16,000 miles and ZERO problems (other than had to replace the windshield from a rock hit). If I could get it away from my wife for a couple weeks, I would give you an MPG update. I love the 3.0 duratec and 5 speed tranny, a superb drive train.

Merry Christmas,

John
  • bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    John does not have a tranny problem. Why didn't Mazda swap John's TCM with the MPV with hard-shift and see what happens? If it is the TCM then John will have a proble and the guy with the problem hard shift will be smiling.
  • rumor24rumor24 Member Posts: 74
    I got the van back tonight only because I did not want a rental for as long as it will take. The dealer has offered that at anytime if I do not feel safe, I can come in and they will put me in one a rental (big snow etc.) The big service rep from mazda for this area took my van and it did it for him. At first they were going to take it to the test center in chicago but after talking to him later he said they would not need to since they know what it is. However they have no time frame for me other than it will not be a long term such as a year, however pin pointing down in months could not be done, especially due to the holidays(fair enough, I am not a scrooge). I did however express to him what I pay per month for the vehicle and how a rentoal for that long for a vehicle I still have to pay for will not do. He said it would not hurt for me to take mine back. I am now on a mission for them to pony up for the extended if this takes more than 2 months as I am sure this will become a tranny issue. Again, I am hoping thay they are not blowing smoke cause I might be small, but I have a very big mouth. I am very happy my car dealer thru all of this and with all that my poor car dealer has done and the grief I have most certainly put them thru. They have been good to me so far. They have a big interest in this too as they would be stuck with these on the lots if they cant sell them due to mazda's faults. Lets all just hope for the best.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Yep I know about Java control code... Just making a dumb joke..(testing).. Use to mess with it and Basic on large automatic gas cutters for 4" steel plates used in heavy armor... Perfer Relational (Oracle PL/SQL) databases web based of course...
    Built my own PC in 1976 with a 8008 processor, it had 256 bytes of memory used finger bone Octal code... Computers are my business, got mixed up with automotive testing with the Govt...

If you ever owned a new Ford you would understand my comparsion to Ford and how they handle warranties. Ford sells cheap cars because of worthless warranties. Very surprised that a Japanese company crawfished on a warranty issue. Sounds like Ford has taken over management of Mazda (1/3+X = control). Hope I am wrong....
    Test and Verify (Is the tranny oil clean? yes or no)
    Still Love my PeeVee. It runs and shifts perfectly...
    Tj
  • dan2004dan2004 Member Posts: 86
    If they do a Kabuki dance with you on the transmission issue the frustration is multiplied twofold.

Unfortunately you only get to know who the "good" dealers are only if you have a problem. They are all great if everything is 100%.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Had some bad Ford experiences? Sorry to hear that. Hope you have better luck with the peevee :-)
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Oh yeah, had a new '77 Merc engine slowly seize up and Ford said they couldn't find anything wrong... It burned out three starters and five batteries.. Sold it cheap to a guy who owned a garage who fixed it... Ford hasn't changed from what friends tell me. Poor guy down the street has a flushed out Lincoln and it is driving him nuts. Ford is a curse word....

My MPV is a good car, runs perfectly... If the tranny goes then I will have my trusted shop put a rebuilt in. The shop honors their warranties...

Even Lexus cars are having problems.. I think technology is out running humans ability to build it....

I wondered why my Mazda dealer went out of business...

I think my next car will be a street legal gas Yamaha golf cart (100 mpg). We have golf cart parades here to show off the custom jobs...(I wonder if a Chev small block V8 would fit with 4 in the floor?)
    All you need for groceries and going to the rec center...
    Tj
  • dan2004dan2004 Member Posts: 86
    My 2004 is not too bad in the snow, I'm happy to say.
  • daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    Hi all, 3 things to post today:

1)I have a 2000 MPV lx with 82,428 miles on it. My wife is primary driver and has been complaining of the moose moaning getting worse. So I finally tried the throttle hang fix from the contour site, which involves installing a half inch copper cap with a 15/64 hole drilled into it, installed in to the ECU hose. So far, no moaning from car or wife! LOL
    2)While I did the moose fix, I tried to look at what it would take to replace the plugs. It looks difficult. I checked the contour site and instructions are fuzzy, has anyone done the plug replacement them self yet on the MPV? Or should I pay the dealer to do this job?
    3)Is there a timing belt or is it a chain on the 2000 MPV?
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Glad to hear you were successful taming the moose. I've been listening to it the last few winters in my 2000 (75,000 mi.). Actually it's not too bad and seems to go away after it warms up. I may get the nerve to try the fix if it gets worse. Haven't replaced plugs yet. It still runs too good to mess with it. I'll probably let the dealer handle that one. This engine is supposed to have a timing chain. That's one of the many reasons I picked this vehicle.

I just noticed you live in Pittsburgh. Great town. I grew up there. In fact, right now I'm wearing my Steeler sweatshirt.
    We just switched to dedicated snow tires on our MPV - Kumho KW-11's on separate 15" steelies from TireRack. Had a chance to test them after yesterday's snow storm in Denver.

Very big improvement! We were not impressed with the OEM Dunlop SP 4000's in the slick - next to useless, really, TCS or no. I actually got stuck on an icy inclined driveway with the Dunlop's.

The Kumho's did the trick. The van with snow tires now drives comparably to our AWD Subaru with all-seasons in the snow and slush.

They're not magic - you can still overdrive them - but they're a huge improvement and worth the price.

-brianV
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mazda mania chat starts in ~two and a half hours. Link is on the left.

Steve, Host
  • kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    had any 2004 mpv owner experienced the 2nd to 3rd hard shift thing? I believe the 2004 mpv has the same type of transmission from Jatco. So locially, the transmission problem with the 2002/2003 should come up soon with the 2004 mpv. Right?
  • bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    Yes so do the 2004s. I saw some posts on the MPV forums already.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Besides the fog light recall for melting bumpers,
    tranny is actually not banging as bad in the snowy cold weather here in the Twin Cities. Maybe it's getting use to my slower driving habits now? One thing is sure, this baby is smooth in the snow. I have the TCS and it kicks on a lot up hills, etc. and holds straight very nicely. It also plows through deeper snow quite well. Problem is the GFX pkg really collects ice and snow pack in the wheel well area. I bought mine last March and didn't notice it much then. Now it's cold and sloppy on the roads and ice really cakes up quick...shame on me I guess.
    Oh yeah, going in to get my new sockets on my fogs on Friday....and I'm on the growing list of TRANNY FIX people at the dealer too! Overall, there really have not been any surprises other than the tranny...and I'm use to that mess from 13 years of Chrysler products;-{
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    Which dealer are you at? I'm at the Luther Mazda in Brookdale.

I agree the cold weather is helping the tranny - I think it's taking longer to warm up and cooling down faster.

Steve.
    I agree, our temps are around 14 deg and it took about 45 min before I felt the heater do its job. However I think that might be with all foreins since my camry was the same way.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    45 minutes at 14 degrees? Shoot. With the unresolved tranny problem, that's Blocker #2 for me. And I don't think there'll be a software fix for the heater. :-( But was that with or without the All-Seasons package (rear heater)?
    I couldn't tell you exactly how long it takes for our van (with rear heater) to warm up but it's nothing like 45 minutes. That's with the temps in single digits at the moment.

How long it's taking for the tranny to reach maximum operating temp is another question.

Steve.
    Hey, whoa. Our MPV is a blast furnace within a few minutes with front and rear heaters going.

My wife doesn't even miss the seat heaters that aren't available south of Canada, and THAT'S saying something.

The AC works very nicely, too. DW has a comfort range that spans a whole 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit, so I know of that which I speak... :)

We do have both rear heat and rear AC options, and would recommend them. It's a big vehicle to heat and cool from the dash alone.

Another nice feature: the front wipers "park" right on top of the defroster vent, so they resist ice build up. Makes a difference. Our Subie has front wiper heaters (in the glass, like a rear defroster) to keep the wiper rubber warm. Works well, but makes replacing the windshield pricey.

-brianV
    I have the 4 seasons with the rear air, maybe it is just me then, I know mine is certainly no blast furnace. It is on warmer 30 deg weather. but when it gets down that low, then no. I will give it a couple more days since we seam to be stuck with that weather for a little while longer. I think I just got a bum vehicle all around. I can't imagine that all the mpvs are this defective.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    gets nice and toasty in our '02 ES w/ rear heat. It has been in the low single digit F overnight here, low-mid 20's during the day.

-Brian
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    our '02 MPV is smoother shifting than any other car I have owned. I specifically ordered the 4 seasons package which has the tranny cooler, believing that that would help out with extended tranny life in the 100+ temps we experience here. Is there any relation between the tranny cooler/lack of shifting problem, and the no tranny cooler/shifting problem?

John
    No relation. We have the cooler and the shift problem.

Steve.
    4 times now the TCS OFF light has stayed on after I started the car. Twice, shifting into reverse has cleared it; once, shifting into reverse, park, reverse has cleared it; once starting to move backwards has cleared it. Started with the cold weather. When the light's on, pushing the TCS OFF switch has no effect.

Anyone else?

Steve.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The TCS will stay lit for a few minutes or so when it's cold. It's explained in the Owner's Manual. It's normal.

-Brian
    ...I missed that. It'll be interesting to see how long it stays on when it's 20-30 below. It's about 30 seconds with the temp around 10 above.

Exact wording from the manual:

"After starting the engine on very cold days, the TCS OFF indicator will remain on and TCS will not operate until the engine is warm."

Steve.
    Thanks for the additional info on the effectiveness of the heater. Looks like the All-Seasons package is the only way to go "up north".
    I use Polar Mazda since I am closer to it.
    I bought at Walser in Bloomington before they went away and just handled Mercury's now at that site off of Lyndale and 494.

Had my recalled fogs fixed...whoopie!

Tranny has been better in the extreme cold now. Not as jerky...whatever! I'm on the list at Polar to be called when the FIX comes thru.

Also had the plugs taken out for the speakers in the dash. There ARE harnesses under the plugs for the new speakers I will be installing...cool!

My driver's seatbelt is not retracting in the cold now! They will replace that in a couple weeks; had to order a new retractor! Geez, just like my 99 Camry issue...what's with the Japanese and poor seatbelt retractors!
    I had a 98 camry with the seat belt problem, had that replaced also. I noticed the tcs llight, thanks for the info on that. I just hit 1000 miles on the 04 and they are going to look at the heater issue while they have it in for the oil change on Thurs. It does work, it is just a little slow getting there and still does not cook even after it gets there unless the temps are above 20's. I tell you all, this will be the only mazda I will ever get stuck owning. I realize most of you are happy with yours, but this experience has left me quite bitter.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Will not operate until the engine is warm? What if you need it before then? This sounds like a half baked TCS system. Secondary roads are plowed after the major roads and it is the secondary roads that people have in their neighborhoods. TCS should be there when you need it, not just sometimes.

Come on Mazda!
    So far I've not waited more than about 30 seconds for the TCS light to go off. That's with temps in single digits above. As long as I don't have to wait more than a couple of minutes when it hits -30 I don't care too much. But, yes, ideally there should be no wait whatsoever.

Steve.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Dealer says I need brakes. Have an 01 LX with 42k. Want someone else to install as the dealer always seems higher. Anyone else use either Midas, or STS for brakes, and are they okay. Are Mazda brake pads better than others?
  • tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    I would buy mazda pads from internet store and do the work myself. I do not think the disk resurfacing is neccessary unless you have some vibration felt from the brakes. Usually when I need to resuface the rotors I just buy the new set and change it myself. It is still less then dealer will charge you just for pads jobs. I would prefer to stick with OEM parts unless it is a big price difference. Yoy will need a torque wrench, bleeding kit from any auto parts store. The job itself is not that complicated. If you never did it before ask friend for help.
    Tomek
  • kaneonapuakaneonapua Member Posts: 3
    Wretched Ford Contour engine! Read this if you have one of the original engines.

I hope I am one of a few unlucky ones. I have one of the first 2000 MPVs, bought it in September, 1999. It is a 20th anniversary Mazda Miata blue ES.

The check engine light has always gone on and off a lot. I had it checked out several times but gave up when they never found anything. It would usually go on when I drive uphill on the highway and go off a few hours later. I also noticed that my mileage seemed to be lower than some of the other 2000 MPV drivers. I usually got between 210 and 218 per tank. I think most other people did better than that.

Anyway last week the check engine light starts flashing. I call the dealer and have the car towed in. I was guessing the exhaust system was shot. Not! They tell me to have some hoses replaced and replace the spark plug wires along with the spark plugs. They pull the plug on cylinder number 4 and it is fouled. The Mazda tech rep happens to be there so he tells them he has seem 3 MPVs with the problem in New England. It is always just cylinder #4 next to the radiator. They run the compression test and yeah, I need a valve job.

I have 67,000 miles on the car so the dealer is less than helpful and wants $2500 to do the valve job which will take 2.5 weeks because it is the week before Christmas.

I have decied it is futile to sink more money into the MPV. It is too bad. I really enjoyed driving the car. It was a little more expensive to maintain then I would have liked but it was a great car to drive.

I really didn't notice any problems with the way the engine was running. What I did notice was that my mileage per tank was about 10 gals less than what I had been getting before. There was a gas price war going on in my town so I thought it was just the cheap gas.

Looking back, I had to replace the alternator at around 55,000 and two of the stupid alloy wheels. One wheel over the last two winters. Ouch. I live in New England (pot hole heaven) so I suppose that is the breaks. I had the CD player, radio tuner replaced under warranty. There were little annoyances that got fixed under warranty but I still really liked the car. Too bad. I will miss it.
  • jimminycricketjimminycricket Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone suggest an alternative to the highway robbery that Mazda dealerships wage against those MPV owners who, like myself, need extra microchip keys? I was quoted by one dealership a cost of $130- the blank would cost $40 and the programming of it would cost an additional $90. What to do is; is there anything more reasonable available?
    This was discussed at length months ago, but I just got around to it now. My LX didn't have the tweeters on the dash as do the ES models with the 9 speaker system. I decided to add some high end speakers to my 4 speaker LX unit and found it was very easy to do.
    Those plugs on each corner of the dash have the wiring under each one to just add the Mazda tweeters in their place. I found a source called MAZDA SOUTH out of TX.. Richard is the contact name. Pretty simple approach. I've included the link here; parts@texasmazda.com
    The total for two speakers with shipping was $172. Each speaker lists thru Mazda at $108, but I picked them up thru this source for $83 each. I know this seems a bit anal, but I wanted to add more punch to my system and this really does add 'high end' sound. The speakers simply plug into the same place where the plugs are with no modifications. As stated in earlier posts, the subwoofer addition in the rear is another story and much more complicated to add.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    bsvoller

Do the Kumho tires you bought ride any nicer than the Dunlops? Our '03 LX has the 16" Dunlops, and though I can't complain too much about how they handle in the snow, I hate the way they ride. They are a very choppy riding tire. It's as if the sidewalls have absolutely no give to them. When it's time to replace the Dunlops, I'd like to find something a little nicer riding.

About the heater. The MPV has a very good heater, but the defroster can be outdone by the overabudance of windshield. We took a drive of about 50 miles about a month ago in somewhat of a snow storm with a windchill of -10 deg. I had to keep the selector all the way on defrost with the fan on high the entire time or the defroster wouldn't keep up. Even then, the outer portions of the windshield would not stay defrosted. I guess that much windshield is pretty tough to keep clear.
    The defroster issues also happened in my camry, as well as the mpv. I think it might just be a foreign car issue, the buick I had before didn't do that. I think it just depends on the vehicle I guess
    I never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, I do see a corrilation. I have a Toyota tercel that is absolutely horrible with the windows fogging. If there's more than one person in the car and it's the least bit chilly outside, I have to run the defroster full blast to keep the windows reasonably clear. I can't run the heat (pushing air out on the floor) at all. It all has to be directed at the windshield. The upper half of your body ends up roasting, while your lower half freezes. Our previous car, a Dodge Intrepid didn't have this problem at all and it had as much windshield as the MPV has. I wonder what the deal is here?
    My '99 GCS has a bigger windshield than the MPV and the defroster has no trouble keeping it clear. My '01 Elantra has one of the most effective heaters and defrosters (and A/C units for that matter) I've ever seen. So it's not a matter of domestic vs. foreign, IMO--it's a matter of design.
    Design of what?
    Defrosters.
    I think it would help tremendously if they would design the defroster ducts to go all the way around the windshield. Then you wouldn't have to dedicate such a high portion of your heater to defrosting the windows. The defroster would work more efficiently.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Don't forget to set the air source to Fresh, not Recirculate. The MPV automatically turns it to Fresh whenever you select any defroster postition on the heater, but other cars don't do this.

Also, some cars--most notably those without A/C--don't run the A/C compressor while defrosting. Running the compressor helps remove extra moisture from the cabin air, which is the cause of the condensation on the windshield.
    Any response to post # 7132?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ask in real time, Bottgers - the Mazda chat just started. Link's on the left.

Steve, Host
    ......was getting good tonight in the Mazda chat room, everybody left. What gives?