Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    I'm using the MPV to tow a 1500 pound boat trailer for less than 200 miles a year. Plus a bunch of boat ramp entry/exits. I plan to have the tranny fluid flushed at 30K.

Steve.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    For the second time in 4 months, my local Mazda dealer says I need front brake pads, yet the local Midas shop says no. GO figure,who are you suppose to believe? No real visible or audible problems. The ATF is another example of the Manufacturer and Dealer being from different planets. Mfg says no change,my dealer says every 30k. Seems like a profit center. Same on oil changes.Mfg says 7500, dealer 3000. Come on guys,can't you agree on anything? This is not helping consumers.
  • Options
    My dealer recommends 5000 mile oil changes, which actually agrees with Mazda's schedule 2 (towing, cold and salt in my case). However, when they put the little reminder sticker on my windscreen last week it had a 3750 mile interval! Beats me!

Steve.
  • Options
    dan2004dan2004 Member Posts: 86
    60K estimate is based on actual experience with a 2000 MPV. The only way to tell if you need to change is to measure and check against specs.
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Something else that might be considered with tranny fluid change intervals is if your PeeVee is equipped with the 4 seasons package. This package comes with a tranny cooler which may also prolong the fluid change intervals.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    yes, I heard about the gasket leaks, etc,. but some say if synthetics are used right after the immediate break-in (whatever that is) that the gasket problem is absent. Whether true or not, I have had Mobil 1 in for almost 2 years and have not seen a problem.

I do know that the lifters quieted down when I went from 0-20W to 05-30W synthetic. Seems to me that "0" weight oil is too thin and would tend to leak easier than heavier multi grades regardless of whether it is synthetic or dino.

John
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Impressive performance on the brake pads, dan2004. My experience has been 30k-40k miles for front brake pads for this size vehicle. My experience is with the Explorer and not an MPV. Similar sized vehicles.
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I'm still on the original brakes with our 2000 LX at 105,000 km (~65K miles) and still have a 40% of pad life left. And the best part is the majority of those miles are around the city. I'm not sparing the brakes either :)
  • Options
    The OEM rotors seem to wear out faster/at the same rate as the pads. However, I did find out that aftermarket good quality rotors only cost about $40 each. One thing, be careful to torque wheels to correct spec otherwise you can warp the rotors.

Interesting story: at the last service for my wife's 2000 LX (55K miles), I asked the dealer to check the brakes as the pedal was a little low. He wanted $30 just to check. Told him to forget it. After they finished the oil change, I took the car to Direct Tire where they put the van on the lift, took all tires off, the rear brake drums off, measured the rotors with a micrometer and checked against specs, inspected the underside---all for free. I had them adjust the rear drums for $35 which fixed the low pedal. They also torqued the wheels back on. And they invited me into the shop to talk with the mechanics while they were doing the inspections.

Hey Mazda service, I hope you guys are reading these posts. You will eventually get your clocks cleaned if you don't improve drastically.
  • Options
    Dan, that's pretty impressive service. And, of course, it's now guaranteed you'll go back there if you need any work done.

Steve.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    what makes America great and capitalism work. Problem for the dealers is that they are selling their cars at fairly low margins ('cause us consumers have most of the cards and can easily shop multiple dealers electronically)and they make up their profit margins by increasing the service costs, selling extended warranties and service packages, etc.

I suspect that the low vehicle sale price (at or below invoice price) are being countered by subsidies from the manufacturer. In other words, the "invoice" price is not really an "invoice" price anymore, but is more similar in idea to the MSRP. Semantics, but the internet has greatly helped consumers shop for bargains.

John
  • Options
    henrik7henrik7 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    my dealer wants almost $30 for a cabin air filter replacement on my 2001 MPV ES. No one I have contacted has after-market ones. Anyone know of a source for discount cabin air filters?

- henrik
  • Options
    bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    Who set the invoice price? Mazda.
    Mazda can set the invoice price at any numbers they want just to ensure dealers are making money.
    Example :
    Invoice Price is $19,500 including a secret rebate $1,000 to dealer (or any name instead of secret rebate).
    When buyers phone in, email online or visit the dealer, the price dealers want to sell the car is $500 over invoice. If the buyers agreed, then dealers actually make $1,500 each car sold.

Plus, the fees and commission from car financing. It is the reason dealers always say the 'price is for today' so buyers don't have time to do outsource financing, to force buyers to do financing application at the dealers' offices as it can be approved in a short time.
  • Options
    The invoice mostly has some money concealed inside, like dealer hold-back, advertising allowance, something I that.
  • Options
    The nvoice has to have some "hidden" charges. How else would th manufacturere be able to pay the workers, develop new models and engines, advertise, etc. I remember reading an article in late 2002 on how Ford made over $6000 profit on the Explorers and close to $10k on the F-150. That was before the rebate craze.
  • Options
    Our '03 LX gets about 17-18 around town, and about 23 on the highway. I think this is pretty poor mileage considering the The Ody gets just as good of mileage, and the new Sienna gets better mileage, and both are much larger and heavier vans.
  • Options
    I think both the Oddy & Sienna require premium gas...a big difference at the wallet if not the pump.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    does not require premium gas, although using regular gas will reduce performance somewhat.
  • Options
    Odyssey does not require premium gas either.
  • Options
    mtbiker1mtbiker1 Member Posts: 17
    problems reported earlier on this topic? Have they gone away, or has Mazda resolved them? I'm in the market for a new van late this summer and until this issue cropped up the MPV was my clear "frontrunner". I figure I have to put up with flaws in any car I buy, but if I buy new, major drivetrain frailty shouldn't be one of them.
  • Options
    oldmedicoldmedic Member Posts: 78
    The number one noteable problem with the MPV has been resolved that being the hard shifting problem. Dealers have the computer software to reprogram the transmission and it has been successful. May I suggest the LX model as the ES has 17 inch wheels and that limits the availability of replacement tires to two brands. A very enjoyable vehicle with plenty of zoom zoom.
  • Options
    My 2004 is shifting fine after having the re-flash 10 days ago. However, I would wait at least one month longer before being certain.

The probability that it is OK is pretty good though.
  • Options
    Just got the flash this morning. My MPV rocks. Drove it hard all the way home and its smooth as butter. I fell in love all over again with that zoom zoom.
  • Options
    notasoccermomnotasoccermom Member Posts: 55
    Almost one week and shifts perfectly. Set it up to fail many times and it hasn't let us down. We are in love with it again too! I'd give it a while if you are looking to buy one. Only because when these were bought new it took until about 500 miles on the ODO before the hard shift started. I think we shouldn't count our chickens until we've put 500 miles on the reflash.
  • Options
    Is there some type of reference number for this flash/tranny fix I can give the service guy in case I get he has no clue about it?
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    The service guys will know what the flash fix is all about...unless they've been hiding under a snowbank for months! The word is defintely out and the fix is too!

I DO have one more pet peeve (sp?) about the MPV though; why do they have that funky design on the front seats where everything falls through the crack between the back and the butt part of the seat?? I leave papers on the seat or brochures, etc. and they fall through to the back seat area..into the salt and water (right now anyway) on the floor!! Do all the new vans have this design now? My 90 and 95 DC's were a solid seat back. Is this due to that design where you can fold them back flat out?
  • Options
    I am aware of that as well, then I found a good space between the tray and the hand brake(between 2 front seats) where I put a plastic magazine bin/box there holding all loose papers or folders.
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Great idea! Thanks! Nice to hear that I'm not the only person aggravated by this.
  • Options
    If you want it stay exactly where it is, stick a little pc of VELCRO tape at the outside-bottom of bin.
  • Options
    If I'm on a flat road at around 40 mph, I can let the gas pedal go and coast for a very long time without the van slowing down much. I like it!
  • Options
    waterbabywaterbaby Member Posts: 9
    We bought a used 2002 a couple of weeks ago and I finally got to use it for its primary purpose - hauling kids!!! I had 5 car seats in the car and loved driving down the road with a van full of under 5 year-olds . . . I was wondering if anyone has heard of installing a shoulder belt in the middle rear position - booster seats are unadvised with lap-only belts which so far is not a problem as I can just use my daughter's 5-point harness in that position if needed, freeing all others for boosters. However, if there is a way to add a shoulder portion to the lap belt then I will have more options . . .

Thanks in advance for any help.

Waterbaby
  • Options
    Check the back of rear seat. There should be an anchor hole somewhere at the back for car seat anchor.
  • Options
    waterbabywaterbaby Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, bigdadi - my problem is not attaching the carseat to the seat (I can do that with the lap belt and a locking clip) but when I move up to a booster seat (or the kids do!)that middle seat is not safe with just a lap belt. Boosters use the car's seat belt to attach the kid (as opposed to attaching the seat) to the car, just in a good position.

I know both the Sienna (2004) and the Odyssey have rear middle shoulder belts that attach (as origin points) to the ceiling. Is there a retro fit for such a thing on the MPV?
  • Options
    dan2004 what's this glide your raving about. You runnin' 50 psi or something?

Just read my reflash report. Says they reflashed the PCM and adjusted the range sensor. I thought they were supposed to reflash the TCM and what the heck is a range sensor?
  • Options
    I noticed my local no-haggle Mazda dealer has raised their standard discounts on '04 MPVs to $3500 on LXes and $4000 on EXes--getting closer to where the discounts on the '03s are.
  • Options
    ...well it happens when you take your foot off the gas and the van coasts for a long time, only slowing down a little.

I do use Mobile 1 for both engine and tranny so that may have something to do with it (GM 3800 engines are known for their low internal friction and long "glides").

So far I've gone 3+ weeks on the reflash with no hiccups.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

This coming week's chat on Feb 10 is also going to include a set of trivia questions about the 2004 Mazda models, gleaned from the pages of Edmunds.com! So study up and join us on Tuesday evening!!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • Options
    ajnbaxterajnbaxter Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2002 ES with the 17 inch wheels. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement tire? I do like the larger tire size, but I don't want the Dunlops again. The tires have about 30K miles on them.

The van's been getting some bad mileage...19 mpg or so with mostly city driving with lots of hills mixed in every day. Plus traffic of course. We change the oil every 3K miles or so, but I'd like to hear from folks who've gotten better mileage on their vans. Still love the van and the great acceleration it has.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I don't think that "city" mileage should ever be compared since every city is different. Good luck!
  • Options
    rockybunkrockybunk Member Posts: 3
    Looking for my first van. Been torn between the Sedona and MPV. The Sedona mainly for it's price and warranty. Have driven one. Have not driven the MPV as yet. I like the write-ups and forum comments. I like the smaller size of the MPV in order to fit into a garage. The KIA is much heavier and has great handling. I hope someone can convince me that the MPV is a better value. I realize the lousy mileage of the KIA but for 3-5 thousand bucks difference I can buy a lot of fuel.
    This is my first post and hope to get some positive responses.
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but I wouldn't buy either of them! I don't think you'd be happy with the overall fit/finish/quality of the Kia. We had a Hyundai which is comparable in quality and the thing looked like a piece of junk after a year of wear & tear. The body is like a tin can--one itsy bitsy knock from someone's door and there's a ding. I'm hearing the same about the Kia's, and they've got their other problems also with the interior plastic parts, seat belts, etc. Plus your resale value is going to be one of the worst of the minivans.

The MPV's are having a major problem with the transmission, where it's shifting hard between 2nd-3rd gear. Although there was a fix done a few weeks ago to many of our vans, one person is having the problem start all over again. (He had his done before all of us did). So it may be a matter of time before our vans start doing it again.

I don't know what to tell you except spend the extra money and get a Nissan Quest. That's about the only one I'm hearing has been fairly trouble-free these days.
  • Options
    daron1daron1 Member Posts: 18
    There's no denying the hard shift problem...just read all of these posts. But I got a loaded '04 LX in late Dec.(3,000 miles now) & I've been really happy. A very few & far between hard shifts & we'll be addressing that now w/ the fix in. My wife carpools alternately in the MPV & her co-worker's '02 Sedona. She finds the Sedona rock solid, very smooth, & her friend has had 0 problems, even w/ higher than avg. mileage. Just personal preferences, but we love the MPV's disappearing 3rd row, the working windows, & the sporty appearance. And,(see #7234 for more discounts) I got my MPV at invoice & loaded w/ the sports pkg., etc. the price isn't anywhere near 3-5 thousand more than the Kia. Good luck shopping.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I have seen this happen over and over again. First it was Honda people beaming about how great their vans are, then MPV owners said the same thing. Now that all of these owners have put some miles on their vans they are finding out that it was too soon to make a reliability call.

I am not knocking the MPV, I just don't think that enough miles have been put on them or the Nissan Quest to say that it is going to be great after 1-2 years old.

Every vehicle will have some problems. Good Luck
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Drive both in traffic and highway speed and make up your mind on that.
    My wife "steals" my '01 MPV when she gets a chance while leaving our Sienna in the garage. Her reply; That's fun driving.
    Of course, she comparing a much larger van to quick & nimble.
    (I don't think I want to know where she's taking it...)
    Good luck.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like it's time to refresh the scores in What's the most reliable minivan on the market?.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The weekly Mazda chat starts in ~40 minutes. The link is on the left.

Mazda The Latest Automaker To Offer Sirius

"Sirius' satellite radio offerings are set to become available as a dealer-installed option in all new Mazda Tribute, MPV and Miata models starting this spring. Later this summer, Mazda RX-8 will be added to list of models equipped for Sirius; Mazda3 and Mazda6 sedan models will receive optional receivers capable of receiving Sirius with the 2005 models, set to become available this fall. Customers must purchase a separate Sirius tuner and antenna to receive the satellite signal."

Radio & Records

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I realize this is a Mazda board, but IMO you should do a little research on a vehicle before blasting its quality. Personally I don't think the Sedona is a great van (no fold-away seat, too heavy for its size, lousy mpg) but one thing that is not true is that it has lousy fit/finish. That is one thing that reviewers from C/D to CR rave about, especially the quality of the interior. Also, it has a 5-speed tranny standard, and I don't recall seeing any problems about hard shifts on the Sedona. The quality of Kias and Hyundais may have been laughable a few years ago, but no more. Check out the Sedona, Sorento, Optima, or Amanti if you want to see how Kia has moved up in the world from the last time you looked at them.

About the only real alternative to the MPV, if someone likes a small van, is the short-wheelbase DC vans, which can be had well-equipped for under $18k. But you won't get the fold-away rear seat or the MPV's standard ABS at that price.
  • Options
    You're quite right about the quality of the Kia Sedona. It was a hard choice between the MPV and Sedona. Basicly it came down to always leaving the backseat at home or having one that folded down into the floor. Add a few extra mpg and easier parking was probably the clincher. If Kia would go a diet and stow the backseat into the floor its market share would skyrocket.
  • Options
    vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    I don't know what every one is complaining about.I have a used 2002 MPV bought 11 months ago and simply loves it. My car does not have the hard shifting problem that most paople here are complaining about. My wife and I love everything about this van, and we are very picky about our vehicles, owning Hondas and Toyotas. I am aware the van has a Ford motor, but I am surprised how well it works so far. Speaking of hard shifting tranny, my 99 Accord V6 has a hard 1st to 2nd gear shift at times(since new), but I have also owned a 94 Accord 4 cylinder that does the same thing. So far my Accord had been reliable, and I expect the same from the MPV.
  • Options
    Perhaps I was generalizing a bit about Korean made cars vs. Kia specifically, but I speak from personal experience with a Hyundai. Everything I said about fit & finish and quality of the parts and body is true. And my Hyundai was a 2000 Elantra--so not very long ago. I also know someone who has a 2001 Hyundai Sonata & someone else who has a 2003 Elantra who have had the same problems I did. Both their cars look about 10 years old after 1 year of use. Door dings all over the place, fabric & carpeting prematurely wearing thin, radio & vent levers & buttons falling off the dashboard. While my 3 1/2 year old Chevy has not one door ding or broken interior part and both cars were equally well taken care of, and driven to the same types of places. Fact is, for resale value and at the very least PERCEIVED quality you're better off going Japanese over Korean. Just my opinion, which is what was asked for. I realize the Koreans are making improvements, but it's really hard for their reputations not to preceed them. The Sedona IS a nice van, in fact we were torn between it and the MPV when we were shopping. The deciding factor for us was Korean vs. Japanese. And I must admit, had we bought the Sedona we probably wouldn't have had any transmission problems!!