Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My wife took her 2000 Sienna in for an oil change. The mechanic said the oil was "gummy" and charged for a flush (notice he did not say 'sludge'). The oil has been changed every 3000~4000 miles at that dealership (van has 40K miles). Service mechanic said it will need it again in another 30K miles. Manager's comment was "...the oil should be changed more often...".

Oh yeah, like what, every 1000 miles? Silence...hello?
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    The Toyota manual recommends 5,000 - 7,500 mile oil changes, so in most cases 3,000 - 4,000 mile intervals would be more than enough. However, you have very low mileage on your van for it being 5 years old. Remember that there is also a time associated with the oil change interval and you need to do whatever comes first. I always hit the miles before the time, so I forget the exact time intervals, but it is something like every 4 - 6 months.

I recommend that you get a second opinion about what was making your oil "gummy". Are they afraid to call it "sludge" to keep from having to do a free repair? You may want to try another dealership or an independent garage. Ask them to pull the valve cover and be present when they do it --take a camera. You may need to wait awhile to let it build up again, since you just had the flush.

Did you have any other symptoms of sludge, like smoke from the exhaust? Were you using any oil between oil changes?
  • Options
    dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    Hello,

Does anyone know if there if something I can do about my 1999 XLE's power right door. Every now and then,(after touching the power door button) the door will almost close(about six inches from closing) and the then re-open. . . any thoughts would be appreciated. . .

Also my left side sliding door(non-power) seemed to "freeze up" one time. I could not open it from the outside or inside. I tried with a little too much gusto and broke a clip inside the handle so that the right side of the handle comes loose when the door is opened. The door was still unable to open. . . A little while later I locked and unlocked the doors and now I can open the door. Good news is the door opens. . . bad news is that right side of the handle is loose.

While I am at it. . .the only other current issue with our 99 XLE is that the seek scan button fell off of the radio. We can still seek with the steering wheel controls, but once again if anyone has come across any of these issues I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Dillydill
  • Options
    pn6pn6 Member Posts: 14
    From the above posts, can anyone tell if the TSB EG019-02 for the O2 sensors applies to the Sienna or just the Tundra, and what the specifics of it are?

Does the Tundra have the same engine?
  • Options
    lasermanlaserman Member Posts: 2
    I thought I would give you all some update on this situation.

First, I am surprised more '98 Owners haven't chimed into this issue. I performed an informal verbal survey and found 22 out of 22 '98 Owners had one or both motors replaced. What are the odds of that happening on a random basis in three different cities? I conducted this survey in Seattle WA, Columbus OH, and Pittsburgh PA. Since the same motors are used in newer models, I also interviewed an additional 30 Owners of '99 and '00 Sienna's and not one of them had experienced a problem. All the '98 owners stated there failures occurred outside the warrantee period - so they felt compelled to pay for it.

In my case, I am the original owner, had about 86,000 miles, have been a loyal Toyota customer (four vehicles purchased over the past 10 years), and felt this was an unusual occurrence of "sudden and complete" failure of a basic motor.

The dealer said this was "not covered" but would do labor service for free. However, I would have to pay $580 for motors. I contacted Toyota and explained the situation and my documented informal survey. Without too much hesitation they reimbursed me for the motors.

It definitely doesn't hurt to contact Toyota Service and present your concerns. Those other owners should have done the same thing. I believe these failures indicate a bad batch of motors.

Food for thought,

L

PS My cd player just went out. This time I purchased an after market cd player from Best Buy and installed it myself. I use the cd player on a regular basis. It was pretty easy and not too expensive.
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Hi Scoti,

No, the van runs well - no smoke, no lifter clatter, no oil usage, no runs, hits or errors..., no problems. I usually check the oil via dipstick (although, not a real check for "gumminess") between changes but didn't on the last 3K miles but all previous checks showed the oil full and fairly transparent. Then again, this whole thing might have been because my "wife" took it in this time and not me - no aspersions cast.....

I'm just going to keep my eye on it at this point and see the oil on the next change and probably thereafter.
  • Options
    freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    I know that they do not have the same engine.

For the older models:

Sienna 3.0l V6

Tundra 3.4l V6 or 4.7l V8

I think the only way to get the TSB is to subscribe to ALLDATA or ask the dealer. I have not found my receipt for the O2 sensor, so I have not made the call to my dealer.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Many public libraries subscribe to Alldata and can assist if your service writer won't give you a copy.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    spainfanspainfan Member Posts: 4
    We just spent $3300 to have our transmission replaced on our '98 Sienna. It was running fine until tonight, when my husband pulled into our garage and went to put the car into "park" and he couldn't move the column into the "park" gear. He ended up leaving it in "neutral," applying the emergency brake and leaving the keys in the ignition. Of course he will drive to Toyota tomorrow first thing. Does anyone know what may have caused this problem? Thanks.
  • Options
    There is an extended warranty on the transmission. Since you had to pay $3,300, I am assuming it did not apply to you for some reason. If you want to look into it, here is what is listed about in the NHTSA.gov website that lists Technical Service Bulletins:

Make: TOYOTA

Model: SIENNA

Year: 1998

Type: PASSENGER CAR

Service Bulletin Number: TC03014

NHTSA Item Number: 10003372

Summary Description:

EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE REGARDING A NO MOVEMENT OR A SLIPPING CONDITION OF THE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE. *TT
  • Options
    cool mommacool momma Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2002 Sienna CE with 31k on it. Lease return. Runs good, smooth ride, but some engine noise in the cabin. I will put on approximately 36k/yr, mostly highway miles. I want 25 mpg or more. I can finance it four less than four years. Is this worth it, or should I be looking at the 0 percent interest, 5 year, new Chrysler deals?

Thanks for the input.

Also, is $16,000 too much?
  • Options
    spainfanspainfan Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, but I e-mailed Toyota right away and they replied that they only paid for the faulty transmissions through May of 2004! Unfortunately, they won't cover it, since it just now happened to our '98 in Feb. of 2005...
  • Options
    Spainfan, I can't find anything that states that the extended warranty/TSB expired in 2004. What I found states that it is for 8 years, 100,000 miles, but this is all from reports by individuals, I haven't seen the full TSB. I think you said in an earlier post that you have more miles than this, so that may be why they didn't cover you. If I were you, I would see if I could find a copy of the TSB to make sure it does indeed have this mileage limitation -- $3,300 is a lot of money to spend. It is a shame that they didn't at least offer some cost sharing since this is a known problem with these transmission.

If your dealer won't give you the TSB, you could see if you could get the full document from www.NHTSA.gov or from Alldata.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    if you cant find more info search for sienna. there is another place where you maybe able to find some info. or make your email public and i can send you info.
  • Options
    lahlahlahlah Member Posts: 1
    I had (am having) the same problem with the power door reopening on my 2000 XLE. I took it to the dealer and he said it would cost $800 to replace the computer module on the door. I had the track lubed and that helped for a couple of days. But then it started happening again. I put the power door in manual mode for several weeks, and then tried the power mode again and the problem has gone away for a few weeks now.

I can't understand how software (new computer module) can fix this problem. I am guessing that the door works like a garage door, and if it meets a certain level of resistence it stops closing and reopens. The computer module replacement may just up the resistence level that causes the door to reopen. This GUESS on what is happening fits with lubing the door and slamming it closed manually for a few weeks causing a temporary fix.

There is also a reset protocol for the door. They have to disconnect the battery and open and close the door in a certain sequence to reset something in the computer module. That might be worth a try too. It did not work for me. The $800 fix is the only one that comes with a guarantee.
  • Options
    dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    lahlah. . .I appreciate your response and your opinion. .. Yikes. . .$800 . . .my wife will not be happy to hear that. . .I will be taking the van into a local dealer next week to get the issue looked at. When it happens I can help the door along and it seems to get past this "hiccup" that causes it to open up again. I think it is something we can live with but my breaking the other sliders handle didn't help matters.

Thanks again. . .and I will keep you posted.

Dillydill
  • Options
    unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    My liftgate handle broke during a recent ice storm. I cannot open the liftgate. A dealer has ordered a replacement part. The problem is that the dealer didn't seem eager to replace it. They repeatedly warned that removing the door panel could lead to damage to the panel and insisted that I sign an acknowledgment of that possibility. They mentioned that the panel had 15 or so clips, which could break.

My wife is upset over the dealer's lack of confidence. She wants to cancel the part and go elsewhere. After reading an earlier post, I do want assurance that they will replace any broken parts or clips. A Toyota dealership should be able to attempt and complete such a repair.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Seb
  • Options
    I don't understand the big deal with this. I'm sure the dealer is just trying to notify you that they will be charging you for some $1.50 clips. They should have the proper tool to remove the clips without breaking them. I had to replace probably 3-4 just because they would not snap back in place properly after I replaced my handle.
  • Options
    siennao1siennao1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2001. Look at # 1219, 1246, 1248 and # 1367. It was a real pain for us. They replaced the (ECU) computer. I have the part number on post 1367. The door is still working great.
  • Options
    sebuncsebunc Member Posts: 2
    This actually helps a lot. They never said that they were willing to repair any damagae. They just made me sign an acknowledgement that damage was possible. They also did not seem eager to do this repair at all. I informed them that not repairing this was not an option. We have a wheelchair lift that is useless unless we can open the door.

My confidence in them is somewhat low. If they had said it the way you did, there would be no problem. I will try to get them to actually state that they plan to fix the "damage" even if it costs $1.50 a clip. I had visions of having to either face my wife with a severely damaged door panel or find another shop to repair their damage.

Thanks for the information.

Seb
  • Options
    lunarmistlunarmist Member Posts: 41
    We just came back from a trip to Florida. there we had problems with our 02 SIENNA having problems not cranking or cranking slowly. When we came back I did a little research and found that a new high-output alternator kit is available for this symptom, 04003-22145. the dealer quoted a price of over $600.00US. We're bringing it in to the dealer next week. this covers 98-03 SIENNAS.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue ?
  • Options
    i take it that its coverd under the powertarin warranty
  • Options
    soccerfamilyssoccerfamilys Member Posts: 2
    I am the new owner of a 2002 Toyota Sienna with only 30K miles. I love the van, but the steering wheel squeaks. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    p53mustangp53mustang Member Posts: 16
  • Options
    p53mustangp53mustang Member Posts: 16
    Guys and Gals,
    Have 02 Sienna XLE, I had the coolant and transmission fluid changed on it's second year. The stealership didn't wanna change brake fluid then says it's okey.The van is going on it's 4th year (got it in 01) I just had an oil change and asked about changing brake fluid,after service stealership says fluid checked and it's still good they don't need change except top off. I am used to changing all this fluids every two years and I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual about brake fluid change frequency. Anybody here knows ? I would highly appreciate it. The van by the way has 37000 miles in it.
    I asked the service advisor about it and he didn't give me a definite answer just gave my a bunch of bull.
  • Options
    momof3cutiesmomof3cuties Member Posts: 1
    A few days ago I noticed a chirping/whining noise after starting. It had been sitting in our garage overnight (about 20-30 degree weather). It stops after 10-15 seconds. It has done this about 3 times.

I took it to our Toyota dealership for an oil change and asked them to check the belts...I explained what I had been hearing. They said the belt(s) looked good. The noise could be caused by moisture or dirt. Well, on the drive home I decided to stop at a car wash...to spray off salt grime (we had a snow storm). A few moments after driving away, it made the whine noise again. Possibly from cold water getting under hood?

I don't want to replace a belt if it isn't needed, but I don't want to be broke down with my young children either.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!
  • Options
    sox_in_04sox_in_04 Member Posts: 27
    p53:
    I'm not sure what the "manuals" say, but I never change brake fluid.
    I should note that I seldom get rid of cars with less than 300,000 on them-so it certainly doesn't appear to be a necessary maintenance.
    mom:
    Certainly sounds like a belt slipping, it may be a tensioner pulley needs adjustment-but your dealer should have been able to do that.
  • Options
    03honda03honda Member Posts: 96
    See my post #3101 in regards to the squeaky steering wheel...had the same problem w/a 03 Symphony
  • Options
    I personally flush my systems at the 30,000 mile service. It costs under $5 and, to me, is worth the 20 minutes that it takes.
  • Options
    jnctechjnctech Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Sienna that I been monitoring the check engine light. I got quotes as well but never replaced the sensor. I failed the emissions the first time, but after resetting the EFI fuse under the hood I passed with no problem. I also noticed if I have a full tank of gas and reset the EFI fuse the light only comes on when I get to 1/4 tank. My next step is to not let the tank go below 1/2 and see if it stays out. I'm thinking their might be a fuel tank problem such as water or trash in tank. By the way I never owned a vehicle with a plug on the bottom of the tank. Maybe Toyota is aware of a fuel tank problem?
  • Options
    32valveuser32valveuser Member Posts: 31
    It's been a while since I posted here.

My Sienna has 60,000 mile, 2001 it will be 4 years old in April. I have not flushed out my brake fluid. The brakes are fine. The car still has the factory brakes good service so far I would say.

I think changing your fluid depends on the driving you do. City driving or some type of hard driving. This is not my strong point so for me it's done with the brake job I will need at some point.

On the transaxle though I have changed the fluid three times.
  • Options
    32valveuser32valveuser Member Posts: 31
    You can always check the National Highway Safety Transportation Web site. They have a ton of stuff out there on all cars sold in the US. Most of what I look for are recall campaigns, TSB, and problems people write in about. Gas tank who knows?? Also, comes in handy when buying a car.
  • Options
    lsaclsac Member Posts: 22
    My 98 LE has just reached 68k mi and the differential is making noise. It started light clicking like fan blade touching something during acceleration in all directions. Coasting is fine. One mechanic guesses possible missing teeth in differential gear. Another one says loose differential gear. I tend to believe loose gear after living with thise noise for nearly 1k mi. It is getting louder these days. I have that extended transaxle warranty and my VIN is included.
  • Options
    dashmandashman Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same problem. Did you ever find the problem?
  • Options
    jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Wow, you must have dug through the archives for this one! I must have posted a question about a dash rattle years ago.

Simple answer, no, never did find it or get it fixed. To be honest, the Wife drives the van 90% of the time. I am driving a smaller car to work now, so don't spend as much time in the van as I once did.

Let us know if you get it fixed and what it could be.
  • Options
    cbatterscbatters Member Posts: 2
    Nearly identical sounds from our 1998 with 87K miles. (Makes rumbling sound whenever the vehicle is moving and gets louder at higher speeds.)

Never towed a trailer and fluid was changed at 65K and looked fine.

First round with the dealer - they said it is NOT covered under the slipping / no-movement 100K warranty. Still waiting to hear back from Tooyota Motors USA.

Any updates from your side?

Clint
  • Options
    cj55cj55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a noise in the right front end of my 98 sienna, 130K. It started around a year ago. dealer said it was the tires, replaced tires, still have the noise. it is getting louder, especially when taking corners, and at 35 - 50 mph. any suggestions as to what is making the noise?
  • Options
    I thought most Toyota engines were non interfering ones but i heard this one is. Can someone comment on this.
  • Options
    nathanmnathanm Member Posts: 8
    I have a 98 toyota sienna the check engine light came on at around 115,000 miles a computer scan at the local parts store said it was a shift module in the transmission . anyone else had this problem and if so what is my best course of action? can this be repaired at home in my garage or is this something internal on the transmission? thanks for any help.
  • Options
    liorkliork Member Posts: 1
    i got a Sienne 2001. at one of the snowing morning i use the front heat to defreeze the windshield. i use it for a long time (40-50min). i wasn't driving that car the same day however at the evening i notice a crack all over the front windshield (and it wasn't a 'star' type that may lead to a stone or other hit - just a crack line..)

I wonder if someone got any experience getting a crack due to heat of the windshield? I can't think of any other idea how could that happen as the car was standing at my house road access all day...
  • Options
    richlewrichlew Member Posts: 1
    JNCTECH,

thanks a bunch for the tip. Resetting the fuse worked for me too. I'll see how the van behaves from this point on. have you gotten the check engine light since? I wonder if our symptoms indicate that there is no problem with our oxygen sensors? Any insight would be appreciated.
  • Options
    ace01ace01 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2000 XLE and have the same problem with the driver's side power window. (Funny how this never happened when I checked the vehicle before buying it).
    Once it is all the way down, it takes its time to close fully, does in within a few minutes.
    Did you ever find out the problem? Or anyone in this forum?
    I have read switches were replaced, is this switch accessible and where can I buy one?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    i can cetainly say what you experienced is true. I had an old Camry and a small stone chip basically expanded across the windshield. There was one moment when i saw this happen. (maybe a couple of inches). I try and use defrost/floor mix so as to reduce this phenomenon. i beleive there mightve been a stone chip to start things off.
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    ...most likely you got nailed, and you only took notice when it started to propigate...

IMHO -
    sorry to hear your bad luck...
  • Options
    The power window motor needs to be replaced. I think it is around $250 for the part. Takes about a hour to replace it.

Sooner or later it will get stuck in the down position. Of course, if it is not raining when this happens you can count yourself as fortunate.
  • Options
    w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    bad gas
  • Options
    rocky007rocky007 Member Posts: 3
    yes all u have to do is change the a/f sensor on b1 s 1 and clear the light by either taking the efi fuse out or disconnecting the battery cable for awhile or with a diag tester jus remember that on v6 3.0 siennas the #1 bank is the one in the back not the front
  • Options
    you might check the outside rain cowl that is what it usually is but sounds like its on the inside
  • Options
    no the v6 3.0 engines are not interference engines but the new 3.3s and the 03 and up 3.0s are interference
  • Options
    i was told by a dealer/rep on another forum that the sienna engine was a interference one. i will have to clarify this. isnt the 03 engine the same one as previous yrs with slight modifications.(i.e pcv etc)