Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda 323 starting problems

climbdudeclimbdude Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Mazda
hey dudes, i got a mazda 323 that won't start if its wet and cold, anybody got the same problems?
its a 92 323 hatchback with the 1.6L 4cyl, with the five speed and 104K miles, i think its the distributor cap getting moisture in it, can anyone corroborate this?

Comments

• Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Water is a conductor of electricity. Your secondary ignition system (rotor, dist. cap. plug wires, spark plugs) carries about 20,000 volts. When was the last time the car saw a proper tuneup?
  • Options
    climbdudeclimbdude Member Posts: 7
    oh, its been a while, before i owned the car, i'm sure of that, well as soon as the next paycheck comes, i'm having it looked at,
    thanks
  • Options
    Your car will thank you for it. Why dontcha post us back and let us know how it runs after a little TLC.
  • Options
    coolguy34coolguy34 Member Posts: 1
    Guys, If water gets in the distributor, then the spark will not occur. While water is a conductor, it limits flame, and the spark is a sort of flame. Leave the poor guy alone. I had an 87 323 hatch w/ a 5speed, and after it sitting outside for a week in the summer (NY), it wouldn't start...All it took was time with the hood open, the distributor cap was opened, and wet inside, dampening the spark, so no combustion occured, only took an hour to dry out...so he's right, its a problem...
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Leave the poor guy alone". I suggested he get his car tuned up then post back to let us know the results. The "poor guy" didn't appear to take offence, nor was there any intended.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, it seems to me a reasonable suggestion, if he's never had the car tuned up...he may need a set of plug wires, too...if they get old and cracked, they can absorb moisture...on some cars, every 30K for new wires.

You might ask the dealer if this moisture issue was a problem on the 323...I know on some cars, the factory provides a little "raincoat" for the distributor cap...looks funny, but it works!

Mr. Shiftright
    Host

This discussion has been closed.