Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Detailing Aluminum Engines and Parts

xwrayxwray Member Posts: 60
I'm wondering how you folks are detailing aluminum parts if you are so inclined to do so. My entire engine and attached components and most suspension parts and a few chassis members are cast aluminum and they are getting quite oxidised as aluminum is wont to do. I'm not talking tarnish-like, I'm referring to the kind of oxidation that looks like baking soda has been sprinkled on it. If you rub it it'll come off but leaving it looking like someone rubbed baking soda into it. How do you remove it and leave it looking more or less like new aluminum and how do you keep it from oxidising in the future or at least slow it down. A non oily/sticky solution would be most desirable as would be one with minimal elbow grease.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, xwray, I don't think there's any easy way...there are polishes (check with any aviation supplier or motorcycle shop) but you have to rub and rub with aluminum, that's the price of it looking good I think.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    ... and polishes leave residue that melts, burns, and gets stinky on engine parts, etc.
    I had heard the aluminum/silicon alloys were more durable and reduced crud. I will be interested in other responses, as I have aluminum top parts on my 2000 exploder, and they still look good... but stunk mightily for some 2500 miles when the engine was up to temp.
  • Options
    dhgulleydhgulley Member Posts: 1
    Anyone ever run into problems with the door latches on a '72 Dodge Colt?

Weird! Suddenly both doors developed the problem within a couple of weeks of one another. Problem is, once the doors are latched, no movement of the interior or exterior handles will open the doors. I pulled off the door panel and managed to open them by manually triggering the release mechanism, but even disconnecting the key lock and interior button doesn't help. I took one of the latches off the car & everything seems to be OK, but this one's a baffler.

P.S. If anyone's wondering why I'm worrying about a "beater," it's actually a Colt with an engine/trans/rear end swap, and is a "Colt" in name only. Mucho bux in this car, so I need the doors to work!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Wrong topic...we are talking about detailing aluminum. Check the discussion list and see if you can plug into an ongoing discussion on your problem. If not, start a new discussion.

thank you

Mr. Shiftright
    Host
This discussion has been closed.