Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

1444546474850»

Comments

• Options
    sdhawkmansdhawkman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Honda Prelude (base model) and am rebuilding the engine. The cylinders have the special FRM (Fiber Reinforced Material) walls which I have to bore out beyond the service limits, and my understanding is that I will need to install sleeves.

My thought at this point is to simply find 'standard' sleeves which will work with the 'standard' OEM Honda pistons - regular or oversize. . .?!? But...I'm unsure what all my options are with regards to the sleeves that will work, and the associated pistons - neither of which needs to be 'performance grade', (which is all I've been able to find, and are spendy...to say the least!).

Any advice, suggestions, directions, sources, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    PHH
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Way beyond the scope of my knowledge. Try preludeonline.com

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    sdhawkmansdhawkman Member Posts: 2
    You need to get outa the big city more often man! :shades:
    But seriously, thanks for the reply. . .and "preludeonline.com" is the first place I posted, no doubt! (i.e. good advice) I just happened to be on Edmunds for other reasons & figured it couldn't hurt to post it here too. :)
  • Options
    How many miles are on the car & why are you rebuilding it?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    I would say I really drove it; tossed it on wet road, sliding around curve, attacking apex (road), ....
    It was a terrific fun car to drive. I still missed it a lot. It is getting old and I know issues will pop up soon. So I traded it in for a 2010 V. Family car, not much fun but it is better than the Gen 2 CRV. The G3 V handles good and you can toss it a little to have some fun. It was an ok trade in but I guessed I got the most of a 13 yr young car.
  • Options
    blacklx1blacklx1 Member Posts: 10
    Hey everyone, my wife has a 2001 Prelude with 106K miles (which I've inherited to maintain) and have considered switching to synthetic. I've read that vehicles tend to leak after switching from conventional over to synthetic after so many years/miles. What have you guys encountered, and what do you guys use? Thanks.
  • Options
    Still out there in Preludeland here on edmunds, but here's a pic of my '01 Type SH Prelude

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH

• Options
    preludefanpreludefan Member Posts: 17
    I did experience just that. Mine started leaking a bit but then I switched back and it has not been an issue. Cheaper too.
  • Options
    preludefanpreludefan Member Posts: 17
    All,

I'm at a critical point in the life of my Prelude and need to decide whether to move on or not.

My 2000 Type SH (Crystal Metallic blue) has about 110k miles on it and is still looking fine. Repainted after deer accident a few years ago.

Clutch is still working well and engine seems to be ok. Trying to decide if it's worth keeping.

Have replaced battery, water pump, timing belt. Very little rust... repainted front after deer collision. Clutch seems ok

Needs:
    New Rear brakes and rotors soon
    New Summer Performance tires soon.
    New Spark Plugs.
    Various cosmetic issues (psgr door handle plastic needs replacing, chrome fitting on muffler fell off, small chip in windshield)
    Possible electrical issue causing headlamp to blow 6 times last year?
    Possible rear main seal leak in Engine - very minor though
    Engine sounds a bit rough.

Think an average Honda Service shop will be able to perform an adequate inspection?
  • Options
    I think with 110K on it, your car is worth keeping. Count your blessings that your clutch is still good at 110K. Mine burnt out & needed replacement @ 52K miles.

It is just at a point in its life where it requires a lot of scheduled maintenance. That doesn't necessecarily mean its time to part ways with your beloved Prelude. I had my spark plugs replaced with NGK Iridium Tipped spark plugs (same as from the factory)

Tires are relatively cheap. I've got a set of Yokohama S.Drives that I
    Very happy with. I got them from tire rack for less than $100 each.

Rear brake pads & rotors. You got 12 years & 110K miles out of them, so they need replacing. Might as well have new Honda Brake fluid put in.

They found the rear main seal leak & fixed it while the clutch was being done.

Have you had your manual transmission fluid drained & filled yet?

I know it is hard putting $1500 - $2000 (?) worth of maintenance into a 12 year old car with over 110K miles. A new car is going to cost you a whole helluva lot more than that. The Prelude is a classic over built, over engineered, old school Honda. There are very few cars that give you such an amazing driving experience.

My 2001 Type SH Prelude currently has 146,200 miles on it. It shows little signs of its age. I don't drive it every day anymore. I still love it & love the way it drives.

The one thing I do know about former Prelude owners is that they pretty much ALL regret selling their cars.

I'd look to see if there is a good independent mechanic that can do the work. I'd watch out for high profit driven dealer service departments.