Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

meguiars products

iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
edited April 2014 in Honda
purchased meguiars cleaner wax for silver car but was advised to use gold class clear coat
wax. can't find meguiar's polish in my area is there another polish that works well with meguiars. Also need advise on cleaning tires and keeping them black. please no amorall.

Comments

• chardonnaychardonnay Member Posts: 22
    Have been polishing & waxing cars for 50 plus years. Found that Rain Dance & N-Finish were very good but recently switched to Meguiars show car glaze #7 & their #26 hi-etch yellow wax. For the tires I use Meguiars Endurance -neighbors now also using these products. Who said you cannot teach old dogs new tricks? Try the Meguiars web site for lots of good information on car care. By the way I,I not part of Meguiars sales force!
    Have been polishing & waxing cars for 50 plus years. Found that Rain Dance & N-Finish were very good but recently switched to Meguiars show car glaze #7 & their #26 hi-tech yellow wax. For the tires I use Meguiars Endurance -neighbors now also using these products. Who said you cannot teach old dogs new tricks? Try the Meguiars web site for lots of good information on car care. By the way I,I not part of Meguiars sales force!
    Have been polishing & waxing cars for 50 plus years. Found that Rain Dance & N-Finish were very good but recently switched to Meguiars show car glaze #7 & their #26 hi-tech yellow the tires I use Meguiars Endurance -neighbors now also using these products. Who said you cannot teach old dogs new tricks? Try the Meguiars web site for lots of good information on car care. By the way I,I not part of Meguiars sales force!
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    Over the past 30 years, I have utilized various products such as NuFinish, Meguiars Gold Products, Turtle Wax, and various other products on my cars finish. The best and easiest product I have ever utilized is Finish Finish which is a polymer based product. It leaves a glass finish on the finish and lasts at least 6 months with one coat. The more layers applied, the better protection and a mirror like shine which is unbelievable.have tried Zaino but the steps are to many and the removal is more difficult. I use Finish First on my 1995 Honda Accord and 1999 Toyota Camry and constantly receive compliments. I recommend all products in their product line.
  • joebob6joebob6 Member Posts: 239
    Finish First gives a great shine and protection but has abrasives, so like it or not, it is removing a small layer of clearcoat everytime it is applied. The more layers you apply the more clear coat is removed. If you keep your car a long time, you will start to notice that the paint finish will deteriorate.
  • sierrabuddsierrabudd Member Posts: 15
    and I personally think it is a little overkill, but go to their web site and read all about the different products:

http://www.meguiars.com/

It does make sense however. After all, soap is soap right? But we use different soap for our bodies, our hair, our dishes and our clothes.

Depending on the condition of your paint, you might have to use several steps to get your paint in the right condition.

HOWEVER, after it is cleaned and polished, I would wash the already clean car one more time with DAWN or similar dishwashing liquid (normally that is a bad thing to use, but this one time it would be ok), and then let completely dry, and put on a couple of coats of #20 Meguiars Polymer Sealant.

It's harder to find, but you can purchase it over the internet.

It does a great job at shining and is the best from meguars at protecting the paint. HOWEVER, for the deepest, "wet water" look, you will need to use #26.

If you are not someone who waxes the car every week, #20 is probably your best bet.

• dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    I read with great interest your statement regarding Finish First has abrasives that harms the clear coat. This is absolutely false since there are no abrasives in the product. By using Finish First, there is a curing process of at least an hour where the product bonds with the clear coat and paint. Each layer give you added protection. I do not work for or am I an employee of Finish First. To read about the product go to the following site: http://www.finishfirstpolish.com
  • joebob6joebob6 Member Posts: 239
    I would have preferred to email this to you...Finish First absolutely does contain abrasives. If it did not, their website description would clearly state so.

Instead it says,"When Finish First is applied to the car, three important things happen. First, the cleansing agent in Finish First begins immediately to dissolve old wax, tar, road film, dirt, and organic contaminants which cling to the paint even after washing. Second, microscopic polishing agents loosen and lift dirt or oxidized paint, remove surface imperfections, and smooth out surface." http://www.finishfirstautopolish.com/FINISH_FIRST_POLISH.htm
    You need to click on "More about Finish First" to read this

Microscopic polishing agents is simply another term for abrasives. It would be impossible for something to remove surface imperfections, oxidized paint, and smooth out the surface with out them.

I use Zaino because I know for a fact that there are no abrasives. Zaino will not remove oxidized paint, or remove surface imperfections. In fact, for oxidized paint or bad scratches, Zaino recommends using a 3M product before using Zaino. Zaino does have a product (Z5) that can fill in minor scratches and swirl marks, but not physically remove them.

I am not a distributor of Zaino products nor work for them.

• triple_deke1triple_deke1 Member Posts: 60
    What's the diff between Meguiars New car glaze and Show car glaze??

TD
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    of Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26?. I'm sure there better things out there but I was anxious to get some protection for my new car. I Just used Meguiars Cleaner/Wax and followed it with the #26. I suppose I should have used a glaze? Will what I did present any problems. It looks OK and I am mainly interested in the protection.

Thanks,
    Al
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    You didn't hurt anything, you just used a good wax on top of a so-so wax. No problem.

Glaze is designed to bring out the gloss of your paint. But it has to be followed by a wax like #26. Sounds like you used the traditional cleaner/wax in the burgundy bottle. That stuff is a bit more aggressive in cleaning and light on the protection.

The #26 should last 3-4 months depending on a lot of variables like weather, garage or no, where you live, etc. Meguiars.com can help with more detailed info.
    For the info.

Al
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I have and do use this product, great shine. I also use Collinite great shine as well, The #26 is about 60% less expensive then the Collintei or the Z product. #26 seems a little more difficult to remove,like a greasier film type residue that takes more rubbing. I am testing them all though, guess I have too much time to kill.
    Keep me informed. I think I'm going for the One Grand Blitz and also do a comparison. Also have too much time on my hands.
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    I will not use #7 any more. It clouded lacquer on my guitar and the roof of my car...older paint.
    I wonder if anyone has any experience with the Medallian Sealant, or the #20 Poly Sealant. The Meguiar Gur says the Medallian is best. I asked him if I could layer the #28 Yellow over it. He said that made no sense as the Medallian was a better protector. I'm thinking the #28 would add to the looks. Any thoughts??
    OK, I'd have to agree with the Meguiars rep. I don't think there is a huge difference between Medallion and #20 polymer sealant. I've been told several times that Medallion is the longest lasting product Meguiars offers. The difference is that Medallion has a system that reduces dust attraction. I used it even before it was publically available and can vouch for its performance, espcially on dark colored cars.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as #28; prolly #26 Hi-Tech yellow wax. This is a combination of carnauba and polymers to provide a balance between gloss, depth, and durability. #20 Polymer Sealant is biased towards durability.

For a "one-step" product, Medallion is the best I've ever used. If you like to detail in multiple steps, you can use some of Meguiar's other products with great results.
    I'll bet $50 that you used too much product. Or you used it in a high humidity environment. When that happens either wait a few hours for the product to cure or lightly spray water on the item and wipe off. That will cure the polish and get you back to square one.

Did you follow up with a coat of pure, non-abrasive wax? #7 is a glaze that offers no protection and cannot be considered a final step.
    I meant #26. Thanks for the info.

Al
  • aceroneacerone Member Posts: 12
    Also note that Finish First Polish won Best Paint Care Product in May issue of Corvette Fever. Finish First Polish also has the highest UV protection of 97.88% and everyone knows that the sun does more damage to the clear coat finish.

http://www.finishfirstpolish.com

• armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Are you a dealer for this product or just get sales commissions?
  • kebbatkebbat Member Posts: 41
    I just bought my first new car and am commited to keeping it looking that way both inside and out. My previous routine was to run through the car wash. That's it.

I've got a dark colored clearcoat, I'm in Mass so in the winter I'll be dealing with snow/salt/sand and my car is not garaged. - Meguire's Cleaner/Wax was suggested by my Mom as an easy to use product. I am willing to spend more time on my car than she does on hers so I am willing to try something other than that if I'd get better results.

So far the only product I've purchased is a "California Car Cleaner" ..... is there any harm in using that???

I'm a novice willing to spend a couple of hours on Saturday mornings cleaning my vehicle - I don't want to spend my whole day on it. Any tips?

Thanks very much
    Come over to Store Bought Waxes and hang out with us. We've got 800+ posts that you can peruse. After reading them you'll be an expert.
This discussion has been closed.