Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Options
    little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    I do not know if it's just the HL I got or this is true for the other 4 cyl HL. I seems I could only get about 20mpg on a combined city/hiway driving. I've tried different gas brands with same octane rating, just to get the same results. I'm about to bring it back to the dealer again to have my engine checked up. I also hear lapping(or clapping) sound from underneath everytime I start and get to move the HL into motion. The dealer service tech says it's the ABS and it's normal to hear such noise. Does anybody with a 4 cyl ever experience the same mileage and noise on their HL? I also notice some engine vibrations at 2000 rpm.
  • Options
    marphylousmarphylous Member Posts: 16
    Tim,
    The dealer picked the transport company. This is probably a good thing, since the transport company will have some incentive to do a good job to keep the business.

It took several phone calls to the transport company and a few more days to get the car than I expected. I think the transport company waited until they had three cars (full load) from the dealer to deliver to this area.

The car was transported on an open flatbed. I did have to inspect it in the rain upon delivery.
    There were no problems with the car. It was delivered to my door. I did have to spend time removing the numerous stickers on the windows.

Dealing over the phone worked out fine. The salesman was very responsive and he had a partner who covered for him while he was out. For one question, he even faxed the pertinent pages from the owners manual.

The dealer sent the paper work by FedEx with a prepaid FedEx envelope for return.

Overall I'd say it was my best experience buying a new car (my third). Given car buying experiences in general, that may seem like damning with faint praise. When it comes time to buy another car, I'll give that dealer a call. I guess that's the bottom line.
  • Options
    christina490christina490 Member Posts: 2
    Little Pogi
    My 4 cyl also makes that clapping noise underneath when I start it and back up. I was concerned about it too. Haven't been back to the dealer yet to ask what it is.
    My mileage on tank #1 was 22mpg on city/hwy driving. The second tank was all hwy and got 25 mpg.
  • Options
    hialeahmariahialeahmaria Member Posts: 45
    I'm considering getting an HL from a dealer in Jacksonville (I live in Miami, FL). They're suggesting that I go up there next weekend to do the paperwork. Is it really necessry to go up there? I'm financing the car thur my CU, and will have a trade-in that also needs to go to them. Any suggestions? Your help (or someone else's) asap is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    dean2sm1dean2sm1 Member Posts: 34
    Is there anyone out there that has obtained a HL with factory hitch within the past month?
  • Options
    marphylousmarphylous Member Posts: 16
    I did all the paperwork by FedEx. However, my case was simple since the financing was done elsewhere and I just sent them a check. Also, there was no trade-in. Difficult for me to give any advice, since the situation is different and the laws governing car sales vary state by state.
  • Options
    gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    This is the best vehicle that I've ever owned. It's also my 23rd vehicle. I've tried to purchase Toyotas in the past, but the dealers were all so smug and didn't want to deal. I left and took my business to where I "thought" I was getting a better deal.

Purchased it from Shottenkirk in Quincy, IL. It was by far the best car buying experience that I've ever had. My sales person, Fred, is great and their whole team did an outstanding job.

My Highlander is a silver 4x4 V6 with roof rack, daytime running lights, power seat, appearance pkg, convenience pkg, carpet/cargo mats, cargo net, console, rust proof, undercoat, and a two-tone (charcoal/silver) pinstripe that really sets the vehicle off.

It's an excellent vehicle!
  • Options
    lcharleslcharles Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a suitable, non-Toyota center console? I thought I previously saw where someone had. It's hard to find one that won't interfere with the cupholders.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please take a look at Owner's Club Changes to offer your opinion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• Options
    palovelandpaloveland Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 4X2 V6, Indigo Ink Pearl with Charcoal leather. My wife and I love it.

We are thinking of putting in a roof mounted pop down television for the kids on long drives. We used a portable 9" TV/VCR sitting on the front seat arm rest in our last vehicle (95 Ford Windstar - what a piece of JUNK). I highly recommend for anyone traveling with young kids. Would like to upgrade to something more convenient though.

I'm afraid of what it will look like, etc. Since you have to put put a hole in the headliner to mount, it will be pretty much permanent.

Most mobile TV installers don't have experience with the Highlander since it is so new. Has anyone installed a TV in their Highlander or seen one?
  • Options
    mkstringmkstring Member Posts: 53
    I'm considering one myself. JVC and Fisher make system for about $1000 with the actual console, and Alpine has one too for a lot more. KEC has systems as well - I've seen these in Suburbans.

From a mounting standpoint, yes, it would permanent. I would think they could tap the line for the dome light (the "ON" setting) to get power for the LCD unit. Putting the VCR somewhere is a concern, but easier to run power to. Also, I'm concerned on the AV cable running, but several companies are expereinced at it, and if you're taking stuff down for that, you might as well do a good power run :). I plan on taking mine to Tweeter.

Also, I'm considering the in-seat monitors - the center console negates the use of the rear-view mirror :(. It adds cost for the extra lcd screen and I'm sure something can be doen for the seats, but I didn't get that auto-dimming mirror for nothing!

Besides, I'm looking forward to playing the Playstation on the trips to grandma's!

regards,
    Michael
  • Options
    swalk2swalk2 Member Posts: 1
    When I roll the back seat window down on my highlander v6 and get up to 35-40 mph, we get a deafening vibration- anyone else have that problem or know what it is ???
  • Options
    shl72953shl72953 Member Posts: 53
    This has been mentioned several times. Solution is to open another window. Maybe Toyota will address it as a problem but it's probably not the biggest concern of their's right at the present.
    Wally
  • Options
    trixie413trixie413 Member Posts: 5
    I took delivery of my new HL 4X2 V6 silver last week. Love it, of course. Unfortunately, in the course of that scam called "dealer prep" they put a nice scratch in the driver door. Noticed it when I got home. So tomorrow when I get my plates they're going to take care of it. Now the question: I've noticed a "clicking" noise from the engine-- seems to come from the passenger side-- and I wonder if anyone else has had this experience. Before the dealer gives me some song and dance, I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.
  • Options
    norskmannorskman Member Posts: 11
    I too have a 2WD V6 Highlander, now with 2700 miles on it. I've used only regular unleaded gas at 87 octane and noticed no pinging or any other problems. I'm averaging about 21 mpg going back and forth to work (no freeway) and in town. On the highway at a steady 75 I get about 24 mpg.
  • Options
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    I also have a 2WD V6 HL and though I know mileage usually gets better after break-in, my readout says it's averaging 14.5+/- mpg. I mostly drive city, maybe 20-30 minutes highway, daily. I'm still at 400+ miles. Did yours start out like this? Does it get better?

I'd still love my HL though, even if it only averaged 10 mpg.
  • Options
    joepeppyjoepeppy Member Posts: 3
    Air Conditioning might be a problem! New owner is South FL. With my Camry (V4,'97, not freon) the air stays very cold with low air speed, fresh air setting, and temperature not anywhere near maximum. My Highlander V6 2WD does not sufficiently cool the cabin; it seems that the compressor is constantly cycling off. The dealer says to use a higher fan speed which is not acceptable given the increased noise. I plan to tint the front side windows (privacy glass on other windows)and experiment with recycled air.
  • Options
    JOEPEPPY: I'm in Miami and I've always use the "recirculated" air. I only use "outside" air on occasion to "air out" the system. I find that it cools off well, I just deal with the fan noise for a couple of minutes then turn it down. My temp is usually at 70 to start, 73 to maintain, and I like it cold. Today was a scorcher and I had no problem cooling it down quickly. I picked up my HL on 4/4 at night and had the windows tinted 4/6 afternoon.

Regarding the gas mileage, another post suggested I set the "info" button for readouts and check it again. I did and it went from 14.5 to 17.8. Maybe it will get better. I'm still going to check ir the old-fashioned way next time I fill up.

What part of So. FL are you from?
  • Options
    joepeppyjoepeppy Member Posts: 3
    hialeahmaria on air conditioning. Thanks for telling me about your use of "re circulated air". You are probably a tad warmer in Miami than it is here in Sarasota. Did you tint the windows with privacy glass also? Does your air conditioning compressor cycle off frequently? I've had my HL less than 2 weeks... so it is premature to comment on fuel economy.
  • Options
    bobincanadabobincanada Member Posts: 7
    I picked up my new HL Limited last week. The chat group gave it lots of positive spin, however it is an exceptional vehicle. It took a lot to make me give up my Camry. The Limited in Canada comes with all the options and heavy duty wiring for our climate. I have just changed the Goodyear Integrity tires for Michelin Cross Terrains and hoping that I will not need snows.
    The Silver, with a rustproofing package that included Scotchguarding for the leather and a treatment for the paint, is stunning and was also chosen for ease of keeping clean and for resale value. However, this HL will be great for ten plus years for sure. Better than advertised.
  • Options
    I only tinted the clear windows (the shop I use does great work and matched the privacy glass).
    I don;t hear or notice the a/c cycling on and off. I paid attention to it and it seems to be working fine (not too much on/off).

Upon resetting the info button for mpg's, I now come up with 17 - 21 avg mpg. The old-fashioned way revealed 16.2 mpg. We'll see what happens further on.
  • Options
    jscottojscotto Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any information regarding the average length of time for an HL to be delivered from a US port. I have been told by my autobuytel dealer that my HL has been turned over into his inventory but has not been put on a truck to be delivered yet. That is the same story that he gave me two weeks ago when I purchased it. Is this common? He tells me that after it leaves the port, it will only be a few days. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    A couple of variables could be:
    1. Do you any "Port Install Options" being done?
    2. How far from a port are you?
    Both these things could/would cause some delay from arrival in port to arrival in your driveway.
  • Options
    jscottojscotto Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your response. No I do not have any port installed options. (HL Limited loaded MSRP $34,595 - pipeline order) My autobuytel dealer swapped inventory with another local dealer to ge the silver and was able to switch the inventory into his dealer inventory, however, the HL hasn't moved. Right before I ordered the HL, he stated that the HL was in port. I then ordered the car and he said the next day that it was switched into his inventory. Why hasn't it moved in two weeks??? Do you think he just ordered the HL from the factory to get the additional 1% finance charge???
  • Options
    We have had our red HL Limited for a few weeks and love it. A couple of subjects discussed by "the group" are tires and octane rating. I talked to a local dealer who handles both Bridgestone and Michelin, since ours came with the Bridgestones. I was told that all the SUV tires come with an "S" speed rating, for driving up to 112 mph. Even if I paid to switch to Michelins, they would have the "S" rating. I felt a higher speed rated tire would be safer, in view of what happened with the Firestones on the Explorer. Obviously, I don't intend to drive 112 mph. The other question is gas octane. I think a lot depends on the compression ratio. Does anyone know what it is in the V6, vs. the 4 cylinder? Does the engine have knock sensors that retard spark, etc.? Any comments would be appreciated.
  • Options
    goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    jscotto,
    If your Highlander was ordered (like mine was) then the wait/delivery time is in the neighbor hood of 3 months. I hope this is not the case. Since autobuytel is having this vehicle delivered to a dealership, is there any information as to the delivery time that is obtainable through the dealership's internet contact person?
    Again these are just some thoughts....
    Please keep us posted as to the outcome.
    Best regards, Philip
  • Options
    vic01vic01 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I've had my Highlander for almost 3 weeks and I'm still using the free tank of gas! I have been doing my normal driving patterns and at this rate I'll be gassing up once a month. I am so happy, especially since I drove a gas hog before ('98 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.9 ltd), I was always worried about running out. Plus, I was really feeling guilty about harming the environment, never mind the inconvenience and cost of always buying gas. I have a Bluestone V6 which I was lucky to grab the day it arrived at the dealer. I had originally ordered a silver, but changed my mind when I saw the blue(my favorite color). I had a good buying experience getting all my quotes online and thru e-mail, then selecting the 2 best dealers in my area. When it came down to it , I got my HL at $2200 under MSRP by phone(S. Fl area), and my salesperson brought me the vehicle at my business. I have the gray cloth seats, center console, security alarm, power seats etc. My only complaint is the seats are so light and my doggy rides shotgun frequently. Does anyone know where to get seat covers for the HL? The armrests would seem to make it difficult to fit with ready-mades.I put some socks over armrests for now(my dog likes to put his paws on it).
    Also, what kind of harm could happen if I drive at speeds over 55mph before 1000 mi? I have a "lead foot" after driving the Jeep 5.9 for so long.
    thanks
  • Options
    Do any of you fellow HL new owners know of the availability of a rubber cargo liner that would extend over the back of the second row seats folded forward/down. Would be 5 feet long. We have two german shepherds that don't want to be separated from their "mom and dad."
  • Options
    ddimatteoddimatteo Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Bluestone V6 4x4 Highlander Ltd for a few weeks already. MSRP was $35,400, paid $32,200.
    I'm interested in lowering it so that it'll drive more like a sedan.
    So far I've drilled several 3/8" holes in the bottom part of the air box (pre-intake filter part) to facilitate better breathing. I'm hoping someone develops some kind of "ram air" tubing as this is a simple way of gaining low end performance as well as getting, cooler air. I'm also looking for lowering springs just to drop the car 2", I don't plan on any off road except gravel, dirt roads.
    I love this "car", I'm letting my wife drive my '99 Audi A6 sedan because the highlander has more low end pep. I didn't get a chance to drive it in the New Eng snow.
    We traded in a '95 Carry wagon V6 with 93k trouble free miles for the Highlander.Expect this to be the same excellent car . I also love it because it was made in Japan (sorry for the American only owners but I'm kinda partial to Japanese cars made in Japan) also have a '93NSX that's perfect too.
    DennisD
  • Options
    vic01vic01 Member Posts: 5
    Another member said he ordered matts from weathertech.com. I also came up with some more sites after doing a search for seatcovers. These also supply floormatts: autoanything.com, autoaccessory.com, Mats 4 less 1-888-326-0054, Top Notch auto 1-800-841-5394. to name a few. They don't list the Highlander in their pulldown menus yet, but they stated you can contact them about any model.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info at message #83. I'll look into it. So far, two liner manufacturers have said only making them for behind the rear seats.
  • Options
    qthl7qthl7 Member Posts: 2
    I called the Toyota Region Office in Torrence,CA and they told me that the center console is a factory installed option only and cannot be installed at the dealer where I purchased my Highlander Limited. When shopping for the Highlander I was told at 3 separate Toyota dealerships by their sales people that the center console could be installed later. That is not the case. Toyota & their dealers have a serious communication problem. I am very disappointed in Toyota leading people to believe that the center console shown in their Highlander Brochure can be ordered & installed later at the dealer. My dealer will refund my money on the cost of the console. Has anyone had this same problem?
  • Options
    Toyota sells a cargo liner for the HL. I got the liner and the cargo net from a local dealer. It's black, has a good thickness and the surface grips so things don't slide much. I know someone who works parts and was able to get it at their cost, but retail is still less than the Weathertech liner. But, in all fairness, I must say that I bought a Weathertech liner for back in 1996 for another car and it's still looks new.
  • Options
    norskmannorskman Member Posts: 11
    When I bought my Highlander, I too was told that I could order the center console and have it installed later. I was also told to wait a month before ordering as the parts department didn't have all the latest information for a car so new (this was in February). In early April I placed an order and was told it would cost about $140. They called later to say it was unavailable.
  • Options
    iceguysiceguys Member Posts: 18
    I just picked up my Highlander Unlimited, but loaded just the same two days ago. It seems that there is always heat or air of some type coming out of the vents even when things are off. This is of course only when the vehicle is on. I cannot express how happy we are with this truly quiet vehicle. I had a buy back from Chrysler on my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee which was deemed a lemon. Also, when it gets to 2000RPm after a stop, I notice a hesitatiion then it goes forware. Is this normal
  • Options
    The air comes from outside. You have to be sure that the "recirc" button is on. It recirculates the air within the car. When it's in the off position, you get a costant flow of outside air. As for the hesitation, I notice mine does that on occasion, but I haven't looked at the rpm's. Most people in the Toyota Highlander board have reported high rpm's, but mine doesn't go much above 2500, even at 70 mph. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    bebe4bebe4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a Realtor and the silver 4 cylinder is perfect for me. I traded a '94 camry and have always loved the quiet ride. There are not many Highlanders in my area, but I know there will be soon because everyone loves it!
  • Options
    classicbobclassicbob Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to contact Pat Loveland about her HL deal online. #37. Is there anyway to Email members to ask questions, or do you have to rely on this message board only? I am in market and I would like to know who she delt with to get such a great deal...$204 over invoice? Anyone who can help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ClassicBob
    Bob@ClassikCollectibles.com
  • Options
    mkstringmkstring Member Posts: 53
    Bob, the "names" of people on the discussion headers are hyperlinks you our Edmunds' profiles. Each member has a choice to publish their details or not, and some choose not to. If she didn't list it, your only hope to that she responds to your message.

As for the deal, with a little knowledge, forcefulness, and understanding of the process, you to can get a deal like that on your own. And, shop around.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    jak51jak51 Member Posts: 17
    Have had my new Highlander for two days now, got Bluestone with Ivory interior. Had a gold pinstripe put on it which really sets it off. Things I need to get are a center console which I was assured I could get eventually because there really isn't any place to store anything up front and I miss my previous center consoles. Also, I am thinking of a nose mask to protect the front from stone chips which are always hard to fix correctly. This is my third Toyota in a row, shopped for a long time and looked at practically everything and came back to Toyota. It should be a good vehicle for me for the next five years at least.
  • Options
    donato3donato3 Member Posts: 9
    I'm going to see my Toyota dealer today. He's a family friend and has offered me a deal that he calls "Family" or "In-house" deal, which means that he'll sell or lease the vehicle for the same price he'd give a member of his family. Does anyone know what this means in car dealer language? Is this really the best deal I can expect?
    Also, I'd like to hear from more owners of the 2WD V-4. How is the power? How about fuel economy? I like the V-6 but it's more expensive and since I drive 50 miles/day fuel economy is very important to me. I owned a Nissan Pathfinder a few years ago and got rid of it after a year because the cost of gas was a killer! Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    localboy49localboy49 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I have had our 4 cylinder HL for about 5 weeks and have averaged about 21 mpg in city driving. Its been a pleasure driving and riding in our HL.
    The power of the 4 cylinder engine more than meets our needs for driving in Honolulu. My wife usually drives in the morning and afternoon traffic to work and back. Good luck with your HL.
  • Options
    svtcobraconvsvtcobraconv Member Posts: 85
    I also am looking to purchase a 2WD and am concerned about gas mileage. When I first considered a Highlander, the 4 cyl. seemed the logical choice. However, after looking at all posts here, I'm not yet convinced the 4 cyl. is any better than the V6 for mileage in the real world. In fact, it might be worse. Even though 4 cyl. owners are generally satisfied with the power, the V6 might end up being the "right" motor for this vehicle for you. However, if you like the 4 cyl., you can buy a lot of gas for the $1500 difference.
  • Options
    donato3donato3 Member Posts: 9
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would a Highlander V-4 give worse gas mileage than a V-6? Thanks.
  • Options
    gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    First of all the four-cylinder in the Highlander is an in-line four (I-4), not a V-4. Mute point, but I keep seeing it in several post...

Second, a four can get worse mileage in several vehicles due to the size of the vehicle (weight, frontal section, drag coefficient, gearing ratio, speed, terrain, etc...). A less powerful engine may work harder (higher rpm) than the more powerful engine in the same vehicle.

The smaller engine "normally" will get better mpg, but there is a point when the larger engine won't be working as hard and will actually get better mpg. Go figure!
  • Options
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• Options
    innedgeinnedge Member Posts: 1
    Re Bob's question about getting a great price (the $204 over dealer invoice). I'm about to buy a V-6 HL and I shop through CarBargains.com. For $165 they shop five dealers in your area and get them to bid for your business. My last car is a Volvo S70 GLT (Turbo). Great car. I paid $100 over invoice from a Palo Alto, CA dealer. Bids ranged from $100 over dealer invoice to $1500 over invoice. All extras were at invoice. I'm awaiting the 'bids' for the HL and expect them any day. I'm assuming I'll get a great deal as the Northern CA Toyota dealerships are loaded with HLs.
  • Options
    lg692213lg692213 Member Posts: 2
    After fighting with my dealer for three weeks, I am finally having my center console installed today. My dealer promised me one after he sold the one we ordered which had a center console to someone else. He too claimed Toyota wasn't releasing them although they were being installed at the port, not at the factory. The dealer found a way to get a center console from the distributor because I was making his life very difficult. If your dealer sold you the car with the promise of a center console, force the issue or threaten to return the car. Or ask them to swap cars with one that has one. My dealer claims more people are asking for a center console so Toyota is putting more in, so they should release the part "shortly". Be persistent! I HAD to have somewhere to put my stuff!
  • Options
    andrec8513andrec8513 Member Posts: 16
    Can you tell me how your dealer got the console? My dealer has been trying to get one for 5 weeks now and it is getting tiresome. Let me know who the dealer is if possible, so I can put my dealer in contact with them. It only took me 4 weeks to order and receive my side step tubes. The console should have been shorter!! Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Andre