Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 Neon. . How do I remove the trim around the radio? I want to install cd player.

sitnfiberglasssitnfiberglass Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Dodge
Where are the screws located around the radio and a/c trim of the center console so i can take out the radio?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't know your exact car, but most radios don't come out with screws. You use a special little "jimmy" tool that slips in on both sides of your radio and releases some spring clips...then it slides out of its carriage. An auto stereo shop will either do this for you for cheap or lend you the tool---it's just a little strip of metal.
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    The Radio trim is held on with clips, just a careful but firm pull should remove the trim plate and give you access to the 2 - 5/16" screws to remove the radio. Try Best Buy, Circuit City, or your local dealer ask them just to make sure. Also use the proper adapter to the factory harness, if you are not installing another factory unit, to avoid hacking everything up. Will make for a much faster and cleaner install. Also check out the Audio System upgrades, under aftermarket accessory page.

Shifty, FYI the only factory radios that I know of that come out with the tool you are speaking of is Ford. I have been installing radios for friends and myself for about 10 years, and that's the only one I know of. Maybe some imports use that system, but everyone I know buys American. The new GM's use a plastic retainer clip just press and pull set up. This is the easiest system I have found to date.
This discussion has been closed.