Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A writer with a national magazine is writing an article on 8 cars that are under $20K for families on a budget or as a 2nd or 3rd car. He is looking for parents with young children who have recently purchased or are planning to purchase any one of the following vehicles: VW Jetta the new “Value Edition”, Chevy Cobalt (with SAB), Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus Wagon, Honda Element, Kia Sorento or Dodge Caravan. The writer would like to know if they like it, dislike it, what are the family-style features and what kind of deal did you get on the car? If you fit what the writer is looking for, please email your responses to kholguin@edmunds.com by May 13, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vero1vero1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi;

I just got my new Matrix xr 4wd on the 12th of april and I love it. The only thing is that I hear a toc in the front left wheel when I'm driving slowly and I hit a bump or when I'm at an intersection and I start moving. They checked everything at the dealership yesterday and one of the 3 bolts on my shocks was not at the proper tighness. The thing is that I still hear that "toc". I'll be going back to the dealership next week but; does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Could it be normal that a new car adjust itself in the first little while and some noises are heard?

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Both our 2003 Matrix and 2004 Highlander work as nippononly described. You have to start the car with the parking brake on to keep the DRLs from coming on. With the Matrix being made in Ontario it's curious that it hasn't always had the Canadian system.

The question about disconnecting the thing came up as early as 2003. I seem to recall someone reporting that a service manager had reported that the headlights wouldn't work at all if the DRL sensor was removed.
  • pcotugnopcotugno Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the ideas about the DRL's. For some reason, I never thought about this problem and if it could be solved when I purchased the car. I'll try out the handbrake thing and let you all know if it works on my car.

pcotugno
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    New to the Matrix forum. We got our 2005 XR 2wd in Super white and love it. :D I wonder why some DRL work one way and a different way in the same kind of car. If we start our car with the p brake on no DRL come on. Take off the p brake and they come on. pull back up on it they go off.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Since DRL's are daytime RUNNING lights, it seems logical that if you have the parking brake on, you're not running, and thus, the lights don't need to be on.
  • rossm2rossm2 Member Posts: 96
    This is exactly how every car I've driven since 1990 has operated. It does seem to be a very logical implementation.

Ross
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I don't mind the DRLs, during the daytime. I just wish there was a way to toggle the automatic headlights on or off at night. I would like to have the ability to switch to just parking lights when I go through a military gate at night.

Makes me wonder why I have a light switch at all in the car.
  • mgvh1mgvh1 Member Posts: 6
    I don't bother with the light switch at all. Note that there is a light sensor on the top left of the dashboard (that round plug sort of thing). It brightens the DRLs as soon as it gets dark enough. I figure this way I never forget to turn the lights off. I do have fog lamps, so I use those as needed.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Toyota doesn't have a separate setting for parking lights and headlights? They only have an auto and headlights on setting? That is odd if that's how it works. My Chevy's headlight switch default mode is the auto setting but it also has a separate parking light and headlight on setting that overrides the auto sensor on the dash. Say its raining out but not quite dark enough to trip the light sensor: I would manually turn the switch to the headlight setting and then if I didn't want the headlights on but still want the parking lights, I would just turn the switch back to the parking light setting. I can also flick the switch to the left to completely shut off the DRLs. It resets everytime you start the car though. I love the control this switch setup gives you. Is it possible GM finally has a better idea then Toyota? LOL :)
    There is a light switch on the left stalk that allows you to turn on the parking lights and headlights as desired when it is light out. Once it gets dark, the headlights are on. Period. The end. It is convenient in the sense that you will not have to worry about drained batteries from leaving headlights on. But for the few of us that would like to have the ability to use parking lights only when it is dark, it is an annoyance.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I wonder how many owners even use the p-brake. I always use it but I drive a stick shift. I would say here in the midwest most do not use it... I know they don't use turn signals or mirrors... so I'm guessing the p-brake isn't needed either. I laugh and say when they buy the new car the first thing they do before leaving the lot is break off the turn signal lever and the rear view mirror and throw them out the window.

On the light issue. I'm one for more driver control so the auto lights are something that I care little about. Also on cars with fog lights... there needs to be a rear one too.
  • bobsk8bobsk8 Member Posts: 3
    Never use the Parking brake unless I am parking on a Hill
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Bad move.
    It'll gradually corrode if you don't use it regularly.
    It'll still "parking brake" just fine...
    ...but it won't release properly.
    Ask me how I know this... I've bought a lot of used cars.
    -Mathias
  • bobsk8bobsk8 Member Posts: 3
    I drive about 20- 40,000 miles per year and have for around 45 years. Never had a emergency brake problem on any vehicle I owned and for many of these years I lived in the Northeast, where snow and Ice are the norm in the winter.
  • 2labs2labs Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who have a child carseat in your Matrix/Vibe is there enough room if the car seat is in the middle in the backseat for a dog on each side? How much room do you think there is on each side of the car seat. I have one 65lb lab and a 85lb lab - no kids yet but ?? in the near furture, so I want to make sure it can work, since I hope to have this car for 5 years.

PS - My dogs wear a harness seatbelt, so they won't be running loose back there with a child.
  • yyzguyyyzguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed on this forum...haven't quite made it through the 145 pages just yet :)
    Anyway through my general research I have found some claims on the internet that the supercharger available for the matrix can actually improve fuel economy. Anyone heard of/experienced this? Seems unlikely to me but I am very far from an authority.
    Thanks,
    DC
  • pcotugnopcotugno Member Posts: 8
    I tried all the suggestions with the parking brake, driving then quickly turning off the engine and restarting, etc., and none worked. So, I took it to my mechanic, and for $44, he got rid of them. The only thing is that the brake light is always on, even when the brake is not. So, he said to check my brake fluid each oil change, since the brake light would come on if the brake fluid was low.For about $180, he could have made it so the brake light would not be on all the time, but I don't mind checking the brake fluid. It's nice to have control over your lights!

pcotugno
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    For safety reasons, I wouldn't want my brake lights on all the time. There may even be a law against it. I wouldn't trust a mechanic who would even suggest doing this. I understand that you didn't want the DRL's. However, in my opinion, your vehicle is now less safe. Not only are your DRL's no longer functioning (a proven safety feature), your brake lights are always on (no one will know when you are attempting to brake). That's scary.Your insurance may not cover you if someone hits you from behind if they prove your vehicle's brake light system was deliberately altered. Incidentally, I doubt the brake fluid has anything to do with it (you never had that problem before). The bottom line is... it's your car. Good luck.
    "Not only are your DRL's no longer functioning (a proven safety feature)"

Oh come now, it's not that big a deal.... if the DRL's were functioning properly, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I like mine, but I don't like that I can NEVER turn them off.

I wouldn't be satisfied with the brake light on all the time either, but it's not a crime against humanity.

BTW, by "brake light" he's talking about the little indicator light on the dash, not the rear brake lights that tell the guy behind you that you're slowing down. Now that would be bad...

-Mathias
  • slugbuttslugbutt Member Posts: 3
    I have solved the problem in a very easy manner. First I went to my friendly Toyota store parts department and purchased a "fog light switch" ($8.95) that fits in the blank accessories slot. I used the spare one on the console next to the parking brake. Next I removed the arm rest assembly (4 10mm bolts) and cut the red/white wire to the parking brake switch. I then rewired the red/white wire to the new switch and the other side to ground. You must also remove the original parking brake switch. The results are that I have the OPTION of using my DRLs or not using them depending on the position of the new switch I purchased. And I can also use the headlight switch if I choose to do that. What pcotugno is refering to about the brake light being on all the time is correct but it is the light on the dash...not at the tail lights at the rear of the vehicle. Again if I switch to normal DRL operation my "BRAKE LIGHT" on the dash goes off.
    Thanks a lot! That's a great suggestion, esp. since the finished product looks good.

I don't think it would work with my Vibe, though... to be clear: Before the rewiring, did your parking brake turn off the DRL's? It's supposed to work that way, but it doesn't in my car.

Thanks again,
    -Mathias
    In answer to your question...before rewiring, my parking brake turned "ON" the DRL,s assuming the brake was set before starting the car and they remained that way as long as the car was running. If the parking brake was not set before starting the car the DRL's come "ON" automatically. Normal operation. My new accessory switch effectively is a substitute for the brake light switch under the center arm rest, next to the parking brake handle. Depending on where the switch is set before starting the car the DRL's either do not come on at all or they come on when starting the car. If the DRL's do not come on the "BRAKE" light on the dash will be "ON". Make sure your parking brake is released before moving the car. Since I have removed the parking brake switch completely, the position of the parking brake handle has no effect on the dash "BRAKE" light. I hope this helps explain what I have done and how it works.
  • wleewlee Member Posts: 3
    When was Matrix 2005 out? and when will 2006 be out?
    When will Matrix be re-designed? :D
  • ranmanranman Member Posts: 4
    I have read elsewhere that the Matrix will be redesigned for 2008, so we still have a few years to wait for the new model. I am also curious about any improvements in the 2006 model.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The Goodyear RS-A tires are almost gone at 32,000 miles. Would like something with better wear and snow performance. Best sellers at Tirerack range from the $111 Turanze LS-H to the $62 Kumho HP4. They both have similar owner ratings. Any suggestions?
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    I saw on one of the Vibe boards that the '05s are no longer being produced and that the '06s are due at dealers in July. I can only guess that the same is true for the Matrix. Pontiac has released the specs and they appear to be only cosmetic/trim changes. If anybody hears anything else, please post.
    Shall I wait? I'm in Canada.
  • skycartskycart Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix xrs but mine has an automatic transmission, did they not sell many of these? Haven't seen many ,actully none with an automatic transmission and the xrs trim line. Is my car one of a small few?
    The auto was largely pointless, as it shifted well before the hot cam comes on unless you absolutely floor it. So if *I* owned one, I'd reap the benefits of the engine once a month... the rest of the time I'd "know it's there". Sorta like platinum jewelry; nice for some, but pointless for most people.

For this reason, the Vibe GT never offered an auto, and the XRS didn't after the first year.

-Mathias
  • ranmanranman Member Posts: 4
    It is not an option on toyota.com (at least not for me), but I have found a number of Matrix that have leather in them. 1 week ago, I only found 2 listed. This week there are 16 listed. These figures are just for the Southeast U.S., but maybe more and more of them will be produced.

Option: Leather Faced Seats-LA10 $1,099

There is even one that is 4WD (it is base though not XR) with leather.
  • okmatrixxrsokmatrixxrs Member Posts: 3
    Sincerus,

Did you ever find anything out? Bought a Matrix two weeks ago and I'm desperate for the beep-beep. I know other Toyotas do it - my dealer seemed to know nothing about the Matrix! Can't find in manual or Internet either. This makes me crazy!!!! :mad:
  • orengoreng Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I hope I can use your knowledge to solve this very mysterious problem I had with my 2003 Matrix.

After jump starting the car, I noticed that both low beam headlights are not working.
    Both bulbs are OK, and so are the fuses (left low and right low) same goes for the light master fuse (40 AMP).
    High beam and all other electrical components work fine, when testing the bulb socket with a voltmeter I noticed I don’t get ground on the socket.

I get 12V on the fuse; I’m real confused about that

I’ll appreciate ant advice on the matter

oreng
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Sounds like you answered your own question. Improper grounding is the problem. Finding a solution may be a little more difficult. Did you check the wires on and near the battery? You may need an electronic expert to help you locate the ground break. Maybe it's sheer coincidence, but it appears that jump starting the vehicle may have caused the problem.
  • jtomjtom Member Posts: 26
    hi, gonna do alot of city driving, have a chance to get a used xrs 03. What's the real world mpg's? Thanks everyone!
    Don't know about the 03's exactly as they are rated a little lower than the 04s. But my 04 gets 20-22 here in Miami. AC is on all the time and I spend a lot of time sitting at lights.

Back in Virginia where I had a longer commute but few stops, I got 26-27.
  • jtomjtom Member Posts: 26
    wow, 26 vs 20 is quite a difference. thanks, I'm going for a test drive today
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Don't know about city but my son gets 32-33mpg in 75-80 mph highway cruising.
  • natolinatoli Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in the market for a Toyota Matrix.
    I live in Florida, commute 120 miles a day. Does anyone out there knows how Matrix behaves on the highway during the rain? Is it worth to buy a Matrix with VSC (stability control) or ABS with traction control is enough? Or maybe AWD is a better alternative to VSC?
    I am in Florida and I have an XRS. It doesn't have VSC, traction control or AWD. I think it is fine on the highway (turnpike). My tires are a getting worn, so wet performance has dropped.

I don't think you need AWD. ABS and traction control with a good set of tires will do you just fine.

Perhaps you could find a way to test those options on a rainy day?
  • natolinatoli Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! That's a great suggestion.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a Matrix and drove a family member's new Vibe for a little while, and found the ride to be really harsh. Are there suspension differences between the Vibe and Matrix to make the 'Trix have a better ride? I was a bit disappointed when I drove the Vibe because I was looking to get a Matrix because of its good looks, practicality, and fuel economy. Would getting the 17" wheels help or hinder the ride comfort? Finally, would the Corolla be a better choice in terms of ride comfort?

Your comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. It seems that the Buick Rendezvous is the only one I've seen so far that combines road comfort and practicality, but the big V6 guzzles far more gas than the Trix would.

Thanks!
    What version Vibe was it? A GT will ride more harshly than the base model.

The 17" wheels will make the ride harsher.
    It was the model with the 16" (Bridgestone 205-55R16) tires... it didn't have, however, black body cladding like the base models does.

The 17" wheels look great, but it's sad they take away from ride comfort.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    The 4WD also may feel different from the FWD due to a different rear suspension. We have an '03 Matrix AWD, and I also have ridden in a fairly basic '03 or '04 FWD Vibe. To me the ride felt pretty much the same, though the ride in the Vibe was in Chicago suburbs and didn't exceed 40 or 45 mph.
    Thanks Herzogtum--I haven't tried the AWD version because they didn't have one on the lot, but what you say could make a difference.

Has anyone tried replacing the stock tires with larger tires?
    Has anyone seen or done anything on converting the XR rear drum brakes to the XRS disk brakes. I would like to do this but haven't seen anything printed about it. Thanks for your help...it shouldn't be REAL difficult...maybe?
  • bajbaj Member Posts: 2
    I am considering towing a very small (400 lbs) popup camper with my 2004 Matrix and wondered if it was a good idea. I realize it is rated to pull 1500 lbs. With 2 people and camping gear the total weight could be 1000 lbs. Has anyone towed a camper with a Matrix? How did it do? Mine is the standard front wheet drive with automatic transmission. Thanks, baj
  • bajbaj Member Posts: 2
    wbill,
    Did you buy the Matrix? Tow with it? How did it do? I'm interested in doing the same thing.
    baj