Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Owners - Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2014 in Mazda
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Miata!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    OK, juice, aka juiceman, 1993 Crystal White over cream leather and top Miata MX-5 C Package. 29k miles, purchased 2nd hand last November with only 27k miles on the clock.

So far I've only done the basic 30k mile maintenance and minor mods, including raising the front seat track and swapping the lamps out for E-codes with 9004 bulbs.

-juice
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    Proud owner of a 1992 black and tan Miata. Some say it is the C Package, some places this car is referred to as a Limited Edition. Sometimes just, THE Black Miata. It was the first black version, tan leather and top, all power, with a few extras such as full Nardi shift knob and wooden brake handle. Bought about a month ago with 44,000 miles, always babied and garaged. Paid cash, gotta luv it (and we do). This weekend got a Buck's grill, installed by native Atlantan Buck himself. The other mod is changed out the headrest speakers, have a bunch more planned.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I've created an Accessories & Modifications topic. You can keep us updated on your Miata additions there.

Anything other topics you would like added?

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    I'm a relatively new Miata owner from Canada, proudly own a 1999 10th Anniversary model #653 of 7500 bought new in September 1999. My Miata is mostly stock and with the only changes being 1) removed tie downs, 2) installed a mesh grill and 3) added some FIAMM air horns to keep me from getting run over.

You can find out more information about the 10th Anniversary model and some pictures at a web page I've put together

http://www.geocities.com/ray_tsui/miata.html
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    Hi all, my names Chuck. I've had my 95 Miata for a year. I love it, all the fun of an old English car with none of the headaches. I've driven it more in the last year than I drove my last MG in eleven years! I stated out with MG's & Austin Healeys, wonderful cars, but not reliable enough for daily use. Currently I drive the Miata if it's nice & my Forester if it's not.
    Thanks to the Town Hall folks for making us this club.

Chuck
  • duncan164duncan164 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone. I am Duncan from Alabama. Just became a member of the "Miata" owner's club in February. I purchased a 2001 base model in Midnight Blue with the convenience package. I have not made any modifications but am thinking of adding the chrome scuff plates, chrome gas lid and a mesh grill. I have literally lusted for a Miata for over 10 years and although I was one of the 5000 people involved in the advertising recall, I was not about to let go of my Miata! I look forward to many years of Miata ownership. Thanks, Karen, for putting this club together.
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    Hiya Duncan, if you are looking for a grill, I gotta plug Buck's Grill http://communities.msn.com/BuckDesign&naventryid=118 finest available!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    Hello,
    We have a base model Miata, but have added alot to it to make it much more comfy.
    It is my husband's car, but I am the one who keeps it clean, adds things to it, takes it in for its checkups, etc. In fact, I suggested he needed something "fun"; I found this car for sale in our area, I negotiated for & got it for an excellent deal (private party), & I am happy to say that he absolutely loves it. Naturally, this makes me happy, since it was all my idea. Unfortunately, I don't get to drive it too much.
    It's ok, as I do have my own convertible, so we both get to experience the top-down stress relief whenever we want.

Please see the new "Miata Accessorizing" Board to check out all we have added.

Beth
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    Just bought a 2001 LE, in Crystal Blue Mica. We both love it; Had a 90 A Pkg for 141.000 miles and no problems. Just could not resist the new blue with the tan leather.I am not a young guy and have had many cars. Miata is easily the most pleasure giving of them all. We have been many places in the original, and look forward to the same and more of it in this new one. I have been active in the local Miata club holding offices for three of 7 years, and although I am not a member now, we enjoyed the years we were members.We made good friends there.
  • brauchbrauch Member Posts: 19
    Mine's a 2001 base model (black inside and out) with suspension package. I absolutely love driving such a honest, bare-bones car after a long day at the office putting up with a bunch of dishonesty. This car is the cure for driving boredom! I'm thinking my first mods will be the Buck's grill (look's awesome!) and a pair of MB Quart speakers. Then, I'll move on to a new shift knob, brake handle, and maybe scuff plates. I like some of the aluminum pieces I've seen on the sites. Can't wait to read more from others!
  • plurzplurz Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I just bought a 2001 crystal blue mica base miata 7/27/01, with spoiler, front/rear mud guards, convience package, 5 speed and LOVE IT!! I've been lusting after miatas for 2 years and decided to go for it. My last car was 1997 Acura CL. Great car , but no convertible and definitely not as FUN!! Now I know why everyone loves their cars so much.
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    Four day owner of a Classic Red 2002 LS with 6 speed manual, rear spoiler, chrome gas cap, cassette, Bose audio, tan leather, etc.

Actually, it's not mine, it's my wife's, but she let me drive it today. She has wanted one since 1989. Now that the kids (all but one) are grown and gone, she can have one.

PeterZ
  • jsiwulichjsiwulich Member Posts: 2
    Hi. My name is John, and I just bought a 2001 Special Edition - British Racing Green. It's a great car. I look forward to gaining more knowledge about my car from those of you with more experience.

I plan to take the car for its first long excursion next week, from Atlanta to New Jersey.

John Siwulich
  • nativetex44nativetex44 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased my 2000 Black/tan LS in November 01. I love my new 2 seater. My husband tried to talk me out of it, but I didn't listen and glad I did not. The thing about the Miata, every other car is not one. You see so many SUV's that they all start looking alike. I love the fact that the Miata can still be considered unique among all the thousands of vehicles around in rush hour traffic. This is by far the funnest car I have ever had. Who needs four doors?
  • wonchanwonchan Member Posts: 3
    Hi my name is Rich from Chicago. I have just purchased an automatic 97 black with black leather from Ebay a couple of weeks ago. It was fun to drive back to home from Southern Indiana on a sunny day (though I ended up with a minor head cold from cool weather driving on I-65 - so seriously thinking about wind blocker.)

So far, I am very pleased with my miata, though I have one question. My other car is Acura 3.5 RL and I know I sould not compare the ride with Acura but my miata seems to have a real rough ride, even taking small bumps. The shocks seem to be fine. I just need to get used to the sporty hard ride of Miata. Any comments are welcome.
    Rich
  • bsiffbsiff Member Posts: 1
    I'm real close to buying a used Miata. Test drove it today, started and ran nicely, got back from the test drive and looked under the car and the frame rail on the passenger side, just about under the seat, has a big dent in it, about a third to halfway flat. Someone drove over something too high and damaged it. Is it serious enough to back out of the deal, or is there an item readily available to fix this kind of thing by fitting over the top of the rail and connecting with spot welds or what have you?

The car also has no sign of oil on the engine under the hood, but the underside is fairly coated with oil.

Where would you buy a hard top for it for winter driving?
    Congrats, Rich.

I find the stock suspension a little bit stiff, but tolerable. If you have the sports package, those are downright stiff. Of course this is compared to what I'm used to (a Subaru Forester with a long-travel strut suspension).

If you drive with your windows down and the passenger window up, the wind is far more tolerable. In fact, this up/down combo works better than both up or both down.

I'd have a body shop stress-test the frame to make sure it's just surface damage.

You can find a used hard top in the Miata.net classifieds, usually for $800 or so.

-juice
    for the useful info on window combinations.
    I am not sure if I have the sports package from the 97 model since I bought it from a dealer who has no history records on the car. I do have power windows and power mirror. Are these any part of the package?
    Do you have any suggestions on how I can soften up the suspension? If so, which ones can you recommend and where will I find them?
    Thanks, Rich
    Call Mazda's 800 number with your VIN, they'll look it up for you. I found out that my car has the rear LSD, but no ABS. Subsequently I was able to test the rear axle and indeed found it has the viscous LSD.

I'm not sure about the models offered in '97, since I researched the 90-93 models. Check out Miata.net.

-juice
  • karluvver1karluvver1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi fellow Miata owners. My name is Lee. I'm a retired Mechanic. Back in 1995 my daughter was having trouble with her car payments so I bought the car fron her. It turned out to be my favorite car out of about 60 that I have owned. That includes Datsun 240Z, Mercedes 250SL, Fiat 124 sport and X1/9 and even a Lexus LS400. I bought a new hardtop from the dealer for $2000. Otherwise the car is stock. The black hardtop looks good with the Red body color. We have 2 other cars but when I feel like having some fun we take the Miata.
    Hi and welcome. Too bad - it's so reliable you probably can't take advantage of your skills very often. ;-)

-juice
    With the Fiats I had to work on them weekly. The Miata, nothing goes wrong!

Best regards, Lee
    Also, I had mentioned about how hard my 97 miata taking small bumps? I took it in to mechanic for new brake pads and he found that the tires were inflated at 37 psi as to 26 psi is being normal. Now I can easily tolerate the ride and am enjoying even more with the driver side window down and passenger side window up. Thanks for the tip.
    Rich
    Yep, 26-28 psi is all you want for the road. More is OK for the track, but my CD skips a lot at 30psi or higher.

-juice
  • theosmomtheosmom Member Posts: 3
    I've been shopping for a '99 Miata for a couple of months now. I found an almost perfect specimen... red/tan... Leather package... 19,000 miles. The problem is: it's automatic!!! I had my heart set on a 5-speed. It seemed to me that the automatic did not have the power of a 5-speed. Has anyone compared the two?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    IMO, 50% of the reason to buy a Miata is the magic of the shifter. An automatic Miata is an abomination (no offense anyone).

I would hold out for a manual as tempting as here and now is.

:)
    Someone was almost "giving" one away in Boston, same year, same tranny. Had it been a 5 speed, I would have been willing to fly up.

-juice
  • theosmomtheosmom Member Posts: 3
    Thnx, maltb & juice. Yep! The thrill is in the shifter. Too bad I didn't read your message this morning. It was a really good deal... so I went for it. OK, give me the zoom-zoom "boo."

I'll just have to take solace in the 16-inch alloy wheels and other little extras it has.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Congrats on your car. Enjoy!

Just know that we reserve a few snickers every now and then. :)
  • rtonenrtonen Member Posts: 8
    I bought a used 99 Miata and its automatic. I like the manual but after a hard day's work, I just don't want to do that much. That's just me...I love the way it handles. I've had a few minor problems with it. I don't know if it is becaus it has low mileage for its age and has been sitting around. I've taken my Miata to two different shops to take a look but they found nothing wrong. I get this intermittent very annoying vibration sound from my car. It sounds like it originates from under the hood. I don't know if its the engine or what but its loudest at the exhaust pipe. I'm getting really frustrated...any suggestions?
    Exhaust leak, maybe? Maybe a loose heat shield?

It's nice to get a starting point for all the service, so I'd rotate and balance the tires, lube the sway bar bushings, change the oil and filter, maybe do whatever service is next (30k, 45k) a little early if possible.

-juice
  • asacasac Member Posts: 7
    I've had my new 2002 Red MX-5 for about 4 weeks and have logged in over 1000 miles. I use the car as my daily commuter and I love it. The only problem so far has been a cracked windshield which is obviously no fault of the car and fairly common for all types of cars driven daily on highways. So far, I've added a wooden Nardi shifter (awesome) and have ordered a car bra to protect the front end from highway debris etc. I am also considering buying a grill. Has anyone purchased a grill and do you recommend them?
    I guess I'm rolling the dice, but I am grille-free.

-juice
  • lmccalllmccall Member Posts: 4
    If the rattle that you are hearing is a metallic sound, try checking the torsion rods that hold the trunk lid open. They are normally clamped in a plastic clip, but come loose and bang against each other.
    I don't the sound is coming from the trunk. When I open my hood, it get's louder. But I can hear it coming from the exhaust pipe too. Sound's like the sound I am hearing is being amplified. I suppose vibration is the wrong word to use. Its more like the engine whirring gets louder and doesn't sound normal at all. It comes and goes like if the car were out of tune. I brought my car into the shop for a 30k mile service earlier but the mechanic found nothing wrong. I'm stuck...
    I don't the sound is coming from the trunk. When I open my hood, it get's louder. But I can hear it coming from the exhaust pipe too. Sound's like the sound I am hearing is being amplified. I suppose vibration is the wrong word to use. Its more like the engine whirring gets louder and doesn't sound normal at all. It comes and goes like if the car were out of tune. I brought my car into the shop for a 30k mile service earlier but the mechanic found nothing wrong. I'm stuck...
    i am also reluctate to put money into customizing my car if the problem can't be found. Maybe the mechanic wasn't as good as I thought or even an intermittent problem llike that is hard for the best meachanics to diagnose. Also my car is starting to vibrate more during idling. And the idling fluctuates. Any comments? I'm not very mechanically inclined...
    Check the receipt for the 30k service - did they flush the tranny and differential oil, or just "inspect" it?

Changing all the fluids isn't costly and is a good idea anyway. It might might quiet the drivetrain.

But if you hear that sound when it's in neutral and idling while parked (i.e. the diffy and tranny are not moving), then that's not it.

-juice
  • sammycsammyc Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I just purchased 96 Miata from ebay. I received the car this morning and found the "Check Engine" on when I took the car for gas.

Not sure what should I do at this moment. May be I'll take it to the dealer.

-sammy
  • engprofengprof Member Posts: 9
    Should have chosen this forum instead of the one about accessories, so I'll pose my question again, this time in a more appropriate spot. Here 'tis:

Thinking about buying a '97 Miata. How long do the tops last? Will I probably be looking at replacing one that is five years old?

And another one: how do you experienced ragtop drivers feel about lighter ragtops as opposed to the black ones. Harder to keep looking good?
    Depends totally on how it was cared for, the climate, and whether it was garage kept.

I have a '93 with the original window. It was garage kept and the lady rarely even put the top down. Looks great, still.

Now, I do have the tan top, and that is stained and looks a bit dirty. No leaks, mind you, just not "new" looking.

But who cares, my top is always down. 40 degrees or better, is my rule.

-juice
    I was a mechanic for 30 years and i'll bet your problem is a loose heat shield on the calalytic converter. Also we don't lube the swaybar bushings or anything else made of rubber. As for a top, I bought a hardtop for mine and love it. Black hardtop on a red body, very nice.
  • nnichols1nnichols1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 93 with 120,000 miles for around $3,900. Is there anything I should look for?

I currently have a 94 626 which is not the car that a 84 626 was. I also have an 86 B-2000. Thanks.
    A car with fewer miles? ;-)

'93s are nice, I have one. Last year of the 1.6l. '94s got the 1.8l and bigger brakes.

At that mileage I'd do a compression test, looking for no more than 10% variation from cylinder to cylinder. Also ask for maintenance receipts, the timing belt should have changed twice already.

Good luck.

-juice
  • engprofengprof Member Posts: 9
    Just wondering if some colors hold up better than others. Someone today discouraged me from buying a used 1999 silver Miata because (she said) the color fades quicker than some of the others. I'd really like a white or silver Miata but would also consider another color. It'll be kept in a garage at home. Should I hold out for a white one?
    You picked the two worst colors. White supposedly peels more easily.

I have Crystal White, BTW, though it hasn't had that problem (knocking on wood).

-juice
  • dpopeckdpopeck Member Posts: 1
    Hi engprof. I don't know about silver or white. I just bought a '99 red Miata and it has noticeable fading on the hood and trunk. I waxed it and it doesn't have a clear coat, which would've helped reduce this problem (somewhat surprising in a car originally selling for over $20K, but I guess they spent the $ in other areas instead :-)

My guess is that darker colors in general would fade more, but I'd too be curious in other owner's experiences with different colors.
  • socleanonesocleanone Member Posts: 6
    Please help me out here.I've found a 70 something year Mazda Spider near my town.They came with V8's in them.I use to have a model of one of these cars way back.Now I can't find any info on these cars anywhere.Please help.Thank you.SOCLEANONE.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I think there's misprint. What you are probably looking at is a Chevy Monza w/the Spyder cosmetic pkg. This was available in the late 70's. The pkg included the 305 V8. Remember, the Monza then was a derivative of the Vega. Check out he Coupe/convertible threads here on Edmunds. Someone has posted links to the model I'm referring to.

Stephen
This discussion has been closed.