Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Owners - Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Avalanche!

My name is Karen and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• fpmikefpmike Member Posts: 21
    Hello,

I've been following the Avalanche Pickup Townhall forum for a few months now and a lot of info is there. I got my Av three weeks ago and really like it. I had an Expedition before and this is more stable, comfortable, powerful and great to drive. I've yet to get it off the road but expect good things there too. I am looking for the roof rack and BVE running boards, the local dealer can't find them yet. Anybody have info on access to the parts information?
  • aeric1aeric1 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my Av on 6/15, and am really enjoying the power and comfort. I recently took a 2000 mile trip throughout California, and it performed beautifully. I also received many looks and comments! I only wish they had offered a 6-CD changer, and a better trip computer.
  • markiiimarkiii Member Posts: 21
    Have you talked with anyone with the Z71 pkg.? I have the Z71 and can't imagine how they could improve the ride. The only thing I have noticed is a little vibration of the steering wheel and a small amount of rear wheel hop during light off-road. Highway drive is smooth as silk. Love it.

P.S. Mike, mine is Pewter too. Nice match with the cladding. Does yours have the graphite interior?
  • mordantkmordantk Member Posts: 7
    Morning.
    I purchased my Av on 6/27. It was loaded with everything except the BVE option. Just like fpmike, I too am awaiting the running boards and looking for any information. They would be mighty nice to have. My wife's grandmother is 4'10", and it is quite a site to see her try and climb in and out of the back seat.
    Constant comments all around whenever I am driving. People asking me questions at stop lights, bank drive-thrus, etc. It is almost annoying, but exceedingly gratifying. The only negative thing that I have found is that if any small car pulls up behind me, they disappear because the rear end is so tall. Other than that, no problems. Water leakage around the mid-gate etc. is minimal to nothing. I have washed it twice through a car wash, drove through heavy rain, and washed once at home.

looking foward to hearing other comments.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    I purchased my Av on 6/6. It's loaded with all options. Going to add the running boards, molded hood protector, molded splash guards and ventvisors when they are available to order. So far I have had not problems with my Av. I wish I could get a dollar for every person that looks or ask me questions about my Av. I would be able to buy another one. I have been getting 16.7 mpg in the city and 18.14 mpg on highway. No water leak problems as of today. I have been washing it every week now. Blue really shows the dirt and dust. I am completely satisfied with my Avalanche.
  • allononallonon Member Posts: 14
    I highly recommend the getting WeatherFlectors instead. No tape, Look much cleaner. Already have mine and their sweet. Although you have to put the clips in (at least on the rears), ours popped out and we had to order replacements. The rears on our Durango didn't require the clips and I was seeing if it was really necessary. It was. You can order them from www.macnielauto.com.
  • aeric1aeric1 Member Posts: 5
    I also notice that small cars disappear, especially at night, when they get too close to the Av's rear. This is especially a pain in Los Angeles, where lots of little car owners like to get right on my tail. (Oh well, Darwin will take care of them!)
    The other problem with the high rear is during reversing; the backup lights seem to be very small and dim for the area they need to light up for me to see beyond the tailgate. I am considering purchasing extra bright reverse lights. Any one have ideas on this?
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    Did you say you have these WeatherFlectors for your Avalanche? Do they make them for the Av?
    Yes. I emailed them and they said the door/windows are the same from the suburban. I ordered them and they fit great except for not doing the little clip on the rears. They also tell you to put them in the front but I haven't had problems with those. I wanted to leave the clips off because I like to pull the weatherflectors out when I wash the car.
    I don't have any problems with it. But I'm also used to driving large vehicles with bad rear visibility (Suburban, Durango, 3/4 ton pickups with full loads) I never use my inside mirror, always the side mirrors.

There are a ton of comapnies that do rear-facing cameras. You can try that :)
  • frankfx1frankfx1 Member Posts: 14
    One of the AV's at a local dealer (Stewart Chev) had an aftermarket
    proximity detector installed. I did not take a look at it, but the sales
    man saild it beeped slowly and then speeded up to steady tone when
    backing up on obstacles. I do not know the vendor.

joe
  • investedinvested Member Posts: 36
    My wife has a Lexus and I was at the dealer and they had a brochure on a backup alert system. It is manufactured by PORON International in Gardena, CA. The model # is 7303 micro3LV vehicle reversing aid. No phone number though. It was around $250.

Hope this helps.
  • camtor67camtor67 Member Posts: 1
    Guys, thank you for your comments, but they are not helping. Why?, cause they are out of stock in my area already (North Atlanta). Because of that prices are also almost on-negotiable. I went today to get mine and from 38500K (4WD Z71)they just came down to 37500k. Am I getting a good deal?. Haven't get it yet, they don't have the Indigo Blue (nice color). If you are in my area, your friend is a Chevy Salesman and is willing to negotiate, please hook me up. I also want people to look at me.
  • stockmutstockmut Member Posts: 21
    I'm in NC and didn't have time to go out of state

to get an Avalanche, but it looks like one of the $98 over invoice Chevrolet dealers located a little west of Charleston is selling their Avs for

that price. Here is a url to their website:

http://www.marchantchevy.com/

Please note... I have never purchased a vehicle there and thus don't know anything about how good their service is etc.

• tx2contacttx2contact Member Posts: 1
    Camtor67......try Bellamy-Strickland in McDonough..770-954-3000 and ask for Scott Jennings. I bought the first one they had on a special deal from GM however, I know they had a red Z-71 in stock and are waiting for a white and pewter one any day now. I have purchased 3 vehicles from Scott over the last 2 years and can tell you they will deal on them.....great folks to do business with as well. If they don't have what you want I'm sure Scott will try and locate one for you...I have a black Z66 and can't recommend it enough. Hope this helps!
    So I have my first real complaint abou the Av. Damn thing likes going to fast, I'm going to get in trouble one of these days.

Every time I get a nice open stretch, I look down and its at 80-85.
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    allonon, I agree, very hard to keep track of the speed. This thing is so quiet and smooth. Picked mine up in TX and drove home today.

darkeye, I took your lead and got the Indigo Blue Z-66 with assist steps,luggage rack, tan interior, and conv. package. Your photos really sold me on the blue (you have a great loking AV). I test drove a white one 6/1 and the AV finally came in. The dealer did not have the spash guards or the hood deflector in stock but they are sending both to me UPS on Tuesday. I'll let you know how they look and share my comments on installation.

My main complaint is the Indigo Blue seems to be a dust magnet! Sure does look good, even if I do say so myself.
  • dsw7311dsw7311 Member Posts: 15
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    We took delivery on 8/22/01 of our fully loaded Av. The sales manager confessed that he was skeptical of the neutral interior and then asked if I minded if he ordered another exactly like it - Yes, I mind!

The hood protector and ventvisors go on tonight and the mud guards will be in next week.

Check your spares, Firestone Wilderness ATs - good thing they'll see limited duty.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I have the neutral in my Polo green Sierra and really like it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Folks...today's events are horrendous, and we probably haven't heard the last of it. My prayers for the safety of you, your loved ones, and for us all.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • spike1966spike1966 Member Posts: 6
    Karen...thanks for the kind words. Our Nation has been violated and will never feel the same again.
  • gandolphxxgandolphxx Member Posts: 19
    I have a black 2500 4x4 - fully loaded, with full protection package - what an animal. Reminds me of my '67 GTO - about the same gas mileage. This thing is awesome - turns heads - gets a lot more respect than my 98 Grand Cherokee. Only thing missing is 17" wheel option and a muffler to match the engine. Everybody who rides in it is impressed.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Just finished washing her again.

Light pewter Metallic (SILVER to normal people).
    Z66 loaded with all the options. I love it and so does everyone I drive by.

Now I am worried about getting hit by drivers staring at me while I drive down the road.

I want the brush guard seen on the Chevy website. Anyone know where to get it?
  • jefishjefish Member Posts: 10
    Well, I did it. I picked up my Av 1500 on Friday afternoon. Metallic forest green with neutral leather, convenience package with sunroof. What a ride! I don't want to be at work today! :)
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to [email protected], or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS

Host

Owner's Clubs

• fastz28fastz28 Member Posts: 19
    Just got a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with Z66 Package, Onyx Black w/ Tan interior. Just base + Z66, nothing else.

Paid $22600 out the door, see "what you paid" forum for details :-)

If you are in Austin, TX, I can refer you to the salesman who got me the deal.
  • skidmarksskidmarks Member Posts: 47
    Had my AV 2 wks now. I really like it. Previously had a 99 SLT Sierra which I liked alot as well. I located mine on BuyPower. Black Z77 with graphite interior ,Convenience package,4:10 gears.I got a great deal.I think there is a glut of these now. It runs good,but not as good as my GMC I traded in.It's the extra wt. that's a killer.I also noticed the tow/haul mode doesn't give the hard shifts like my old GMC, just seems to raise the rpm shift points. This thing really needs the 345hp 6litre motor in it,although the mpg would suffer The OnStar is cool,but the subscription is a little over priced. So far I have logged a 1000 miles,the computer went goofy once and wouldn't let it idle,but corrected itself. I recommend the Manic stainless steel step boards. They look as good as the GM ones and are a couple of hundred less. This thing is so smooth that I can forgive its shortcomings.
  • fastz28fastz28 Member Posts: 19
    Capitol. I went to Champion first, but couldn't strike a deal there. So I went to Capitol. Easiest deal ever, told them what *I* want to pay, they either take it or I'm going somewhere else. :-)
  • subdoc4subdoc4 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 3/4 ton. The ad says a 37 gal fuel tank. The owners manual state 31 gal. Anyone know who's right?
  • gandolphxxgandolphxx Member Posts: 19
    I have the 2500 - 37 gal - watch out the "get gas" light goes on @ 4 gals - best start looking for a station quick.
    1500 has 31 gallons and I have never seen it as more or less.

Now the 2500 may have more but do not know.
  • whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    A while back some were looking for a scale model
    die cast. Can check out www.diecastauto.com
  • loyalfan1loyalfan1 Member Posts: 5
    The Av I want to buy has the soft tonneau cover which replaces the 3 piece rigid cover. I was wondering if there are any advantages / disadvantages to the soft cover other than the fact that you can't stow anything on top of it. And does anyone know which came first?
  • naylor99naylor99 Member Posts: 23
    All other things being equal, the rigid panels increase the price by $600. To me, the panels are what makes the Avalanche so practical. You can lock the whole shebang, for one thing. Another nicety of the design is that you can remove just one or two of the panels as needed --the others are independently clamped into place. Also, there may be times when it is nice to have a place to sit above the crowd... I would also expect that the panels will age more gracefully than a soft cover. Just my 2 cents.
    I think one of the best features is the hard cover supplied on the Av. The tonneau is an option for a credit - and the $600 (MSRP) is not worth it. The soft weighs less and takes less room on board to store. The hard covers will support weight, attachment is quick and easy, and they make for a tight, solid cover for the bed. I can't speak for the sealing ability of the tonneau on the Av, but my F150 did not seal at all with the factory tonneau.
    I looked at one and was not impressed with it.

It seemed difficult to remove and reattach.

Go for the hard cover IMO.
  • hultzgerhultzger Member Posts: 9
    I picked up my Pewter Z66 on Tuesday. Its got the Z66 and neutral sport leather seats. It drives like a dream.

In doing my research I looked into the soft tonneau. I knew I didn't want it, so I asked several dealers about swapping for the rigid cover. One flat out said it could not be retrofitted.

Another(I bought the truck from)said that there are a lot of soft cover trucks out there due to production problems at the factory(same thing happened with the privacy glass). So instead of shutting down production they offered the soft covers with a $600 credit. He said supplies should increase in April and there would be a retrofit kit.

I guess a lot dealers are stuck with trucks with the soft covers. You might be able to get a deal on truck with the soft cover. But I think the hard cover is a requirement, otherwise why get the Avalanche?

Rick
    The tonneau has been available from the beginning as an option for the $600 credit. Maybe there is a supply problem with the hard covers or perhaps dealers have ordered low cost units as loss leaders. I've seen two ads recently - one advertised starting prices at $22,995, and the other $24,495 (rebates applied). My wife was about to jump me until I said those are 2WD without Z package, leather, sunroof, etc.
    Get the promise of the retrofit kit in writing from the dealer. I'd put money on this being a dealer's dream (imagination, excuse, lie).
  • hultzgerhultzger Member Posts: 9
    Let me clarify: There was a short period of time when the hard covers were not available from the supplier so the factory continued production with the soft covers. My dealer said that the soft cover models were not moving very fast, if not at all. He said from now on he would only be ordering Z66 and Z71 with hard covers.

It seemed that several weeks ago, when I was looking for my truck (in SF East Bay), the only ones available with the options I wanted had soft covers.
  • loyalfan1loyalfan1 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my new Av with the Z71 package in Summit white. It looks great and rides even better than the 99 Yukon that it replaced. Yes, I did settle for the soft tonneau, but I think it will work fine, I don't see myself removing it very often here in Vermont. Its covered with snow right now.
  • slayer69slayer69 Member Posts: 18
    I purchased my Summit White Z71 Avalanche on October 26, 2001. As of today, I have driven over 11,000 miles and my Avalanche runs smooth with no problems. The heated leather bucket seats are a special treat at 4:45 am when I leave for work. I paid the actual dealer invoice while the MSRP was $38,571.00. So I saved enough money to purchase all the accessories.
    Did you recently purchase or lease your first full-size pick-up truck? If so, The Wall Street Journal is curious about your experience with it, especially if you traded in a car for the truck. Please send your story directly to [email protected]. Please include the model truck you drive, your city and state of residence, and your e-mail address.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • johnnycat8johnnycat8 Member Posts: 12
    in July 01 i got my first pewter av great truck but it soon had many problems 24 qts of oil in 5500 miles and spent 55 days in the shop for repairs many water leaks the worst from the front seems the e-brake cable and a floor plug on the drivers side is loose fitting and leaks water had a few small leaks on the midgate but not a problem after two carpet kits and more rental cars than i ever had gm decided to replace it so now i have my second av gm at no cost to me replaced my 2 wheel drive with a red 4x4 z 71 fully loaded for the inconvince would of rather had another pewter but the red is growing on me im just glad they replaced it as i went and looked at all the cars on the market and just kept coming back for my av its a blast to drive all the comments and its just to handy i have hauled lumber bricks plants trees and all sort of things the only thing im afraid to put in is dirt the front drains at the midgate do plug up easy i have found blasting them with air works great the new av is great 1500 miles and no oil use at all the engine seems quieter than the last one and no water leaks at all i like the z 71 drives a tad rougher than the 2x but with a extra trans and 400-600 lbs not bad at all people thought i was crazy for getting another on but i just said if you had one you'd never get anything else the darn things are addicting
  • camille4camille4 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Av since Oct01. I've only encountered some rattling noise, but since it's been cold-no noise. I have bench seats so I can still car pool kids to school and haul trees to plant in my backyard! :)
  • avnutavnut Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I'm Gary. I just picked up my AV: Victory Red Z/71, leather, sunroof, running boards, and OnStar. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. The ride is fantastic on and off road. I have "converted" it about 50 times to the amazement of all. Every single day, a perfect stranger compliments me on it. I love everything about it! With only 450 miles, have already installed amber DLR's, a locking gas cap, locking lug nuts, and a tail/brake light receiver cover. Next mod is steering wheel audio controls. Fun, fun, FUN!
  • johnnycat8johnnycat8 Member Posts: 12
    i too changed the drl to amber everyone but the police like it.... i also put in brighter bulbs for the headlights and fog/driving lights just be carefull not to over do it i went to 30 watt on the fog and 75 on the low beams mad a great big diff. i think i have the truck down pat now this is my second avalanche mines just like yours red my otheir one was the peuter(like the red better)i also installed a backup radar device love it it talks telling you how far you are backing up
    Police might have a problem with brighter headlight bulbs. But not the drl's being amber. I changed the ones on my Sierra too. Like the look much better. I think they are more noticeable too. And isn't that the point of DRL's?