Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Problems & Solutions

robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Hey All,
My AV arrived tonight and I will be picking it up sometime tomorrow. The first think I noticed is that it is missing the deep tint on the rear windows. I am thinking of pushing the dealer towards this being a defect that they need to address. Anyone else try this yet? Thoughts?

Cheers,
Bear

Comments

• investedinvested Member Posts: 36
    I have one on order and I will be looking for the tint. If it is missing I will expect them to deduct something from the price or to have them tinted for me. You can tell them to have them tinted and also include the front 2 windows and a possible windshield strip for your inconvenience.

Let me know how this works out for you.
  • flyerjohnflyerjohn Member Posts: 7
    Bought my Z66 last week and it does not have the tint. About half of the trucks on the lot (about 20 total) had the tint. We looked (salesman and I) all over to figure out why some have tint and some don't. No clue here.
  • robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    Well I discussed the missing tint with the dealer... They agreed that this is a problem and are more than happy to apply an after market tint to the back seat windows. I know that this will not be as good as the factory tinting, anyone else had any experience with any after market tinting?

Cheers,
    Bear
    Hey all,
    What are you seeing on the initial oil as far as pressure? Mine is running at 60psi at an idle and 70 to 75 at load. Seems a bit high to me, but I have never heard of high pressure causing a problem.

Cheers,
    Bear
  • markiiimarkiii Member Posts: 21
    Mine runs at about 50-55 at idle and around 60 "at load" although I'm still in break in and haven't really had a load other than highway speeds. My readings seemed high..a little, to what I was used to. I would have been concerned if I had seen 70-75 with my use so far.

PS Temp is about 200 without any load and 85 OS temps. How does this compare?
    Well the temp is the same with OS temps of 92. I only have 500 miles on it and have been really easy on it so far. Maybe I need to discuss this with the service manager.
  • markiiimarkiii Member Posts: 21
    I too have about 500 mi, checked again today and my previous numbers are correct. Maybe a hair under 50 at idle and a hair over 60 on the highway. I did notice the over 60 was at the beginning of my drive to work and it seemed to be at or under after 10 minutes. Good luck with your dealer.
    PS I see straight up on the voltmeter and averaged 16.5 on my first tank of 87 octane.
  • russiirussii Member Posts: 2
    We recently took delivery of a 2002 Z71 Avalanche (1500 4x4). The glossies that GM sends out list an "auxiliary transmission cooler" as an accesory/option. Dealer says it's not available. GM Cust Service says see dealer. The truck does NOT have an external (GM) aux trans cooler. Any ideas?
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Mine is running 60 PSI on oil and 200 on the temp gauge. Not a lot of differance between start up and warm although less at idle. We have just over 1000 miles on ours.

I saw the 2500 has a transmission oil temp gauge in the lower left corner of inst. cluster. Has anyone checked if this can be an add on to the 1500? I'll be pulling a boat after break in and would love to know. Sounds like a good call to Chevy tomorrow.

Roger
    Hey all. Since I have not owned a vehicle with large tires before, what pressure are you running in the tires? As a rule of thumb, I've always ran within 2 lbs of max pressure for longest wear understanding I would give up a little ride comfort.

I see these are rated 44 psi while the sticker on the door indicates 30 psi recommended. I put 35 lbs cold in them. Any advice would be welcome.

Roger
    I talked with chevy parts department today. To add the transmission oil temp gauge like the 2500 has in the lower left corner of inst. cluster would run around $600 plus hook up to the transmission. Parts man said "you can't get there from here".

Also, service dept suggested if pulling over 4000 lbs in terrain other than flat country, tow in third so transmission doesn't shift so much. I inquired about tow/haul mode and they said to use it but go ahead and use third in hilly areas. FYI.

Roger
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    The door sticker is the optimum pressure for the vehicle. 44psi is the max pressure for the tire type and size. When in doubt, consult the manual.

From the owners manual:

The Certification/Tire label, which is on the rear edge of the driver's door, shows the correct inflation pressures for your tires when they're cold. "Cold" means the vehicle has been sitting for at least three hours or driven no more than 1 mile.

Over inflation can cause unusual wear, bad handling, rough ride, or needless damage from road hazards.
  • scottbudascottbuda Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the MPG specs for the 1500 and the 2500?
  • stockmutstockmut Member Posts: 21
    Don't know about the 2500 since I haven't seen one yet but the sticker on the 1500 says 13 city 17 highway although I've been averaging around 15 city and 19 in mixed driving.
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    You CAN add the trans temp gauge to your Avalanche. All you have to do is buy the 2500 series instrument cluster (which comes with the gauge) and have it installed. In order to do this, you must have a qualified Delphi service center transfer the mileage and hour meter reading to the new cluster (which should cost around $30-$70 and the dealer can tell you where the nearest one is). There are a few clusters to choose from, the Denali, Escalade and 2500 clusters will all fit. Many people have done this so if the service department said it can't be done...they are liars. The cost of the cluster is around $165 shipped to your door by gmpartsdirect.com. (depends upon which cluster you want). The information for the gauge is already there, so there are no sensors or anything else you need to add, just swap the clusters out, get the mileage and hour meter set and you're ready to go!

If you need more info on this, check out:

http://www.delphi.com/gmsuv

there are a few people there that have posted pics of what the different clusters look like and what it cost to buy and have the mileage set.

Campo57

None of the 2500's will list an average fuel economy (city/highway) since they are classified as trucks with an 8600 GVW so they don't fall under the EPA category like the SUVs, light trucks, cars do. You'll have to ask someone with a similar setup (same engine and rear end ratio) what they are getting to get some ballpark idea on what you'll get.

Campo57
    Thanks for the info! I'd really like to know what my tranny is doing while towing. You once again prove the point of "who you know". I'll go to my dealer and get details so they can't blow me off over the phone. Thanks again.

Roger
    Here are the part numbers and prices from gmpartsdirect.com

$ 198.18 Escalade Part # 15073350
    $ 160.01 Denali Part # 16252295
    $ 160.32 2500 Part # 15758079

now all you have to do is give them the part number. (the above prices are without shipping charges)

Campo57
  • teriabelteriabel Member Posts: 6
    Just got my Av a couple of days ago. I noticed that some of you were talking about the Oil Pressure. I was wondering about that myself. At idle my reads 60 and around 70 to 75 driving. Did anyone find out if this normal??
    That is the same readings I still get. The Service Manager is telling me this is normal, and since I don't see a problem with the level after 1000 miles I am going with a wait and see stance. I will tell you that the idle pressure is now running around 55 after the Av is warmed up. Just check your level when you fill up.

Bear
    Well I have filled this truck up 5 times now and each time the mpg keeps getting lower and lower. Started out at 13mpg and am now down to 11.5mpg. Not driving it any different, mix of city and highway. Never over 70mph, and almost never over 3000rpm. I expected low gas mileage with this truck, but this is really starting to concern me. If my next fillup shows less than the 11.5 of the last fillup I will be discussing this with service. Anyone else seeing this?

Bear
    My first tank was 19.33 then fell to just under 18, both all highway. Next tanks stayed around 18. My next two tanks were 14 plus change, one was all city and the next tank was a hard run to the farm and back. I too was concerned when I filled up at 14 MPG. I'll let you know of my next highway and all city tanks. Mine is 2wdr.

Roger
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    2nd day I've had my new AV. I was taking off the 1st of the 3 hard-cover panels and the weather-striping (where it butts up to meet the 2nd panel) was completely falling off. There was a bunch of pink adhesive visible under the weather-striping that obviously wasn't holding up under the heat of the day. And off course this is the same results with panel #2. I called my dealer (who has 30-40 Av's) and suggest that they could give me a set of panels off another truck and fix these, but they wouldn't go for my idea. They asked me to bring the vehicle in for service.
    Anyone else have this experience?

I'll keep you guys posted!
    I had the same thing happening the first time I took off the panels the day after I bought it. I was thinking that maybe it hadn't dried all the way yet, so I stuck it back on and took them off a week later it seems to be fine.
  • bill210bill210 Member Posts: 3
    has anyone got an avalanche with the roof rack on it. i have not put mine on yet because of some questions i have. does the roof rack cause wind noise when the sun roof is open? if some one has some photos of a avalanche with the rack i would love to see them. i had a tahoe with the roof rack on it and it looked good,but i dont know about the avalanche. any info. would be a great help
  • gmoy25gmoy25 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys! My Av is 2 months old and has had some problems. It has been blowing white smoke from the exhaust after sitting since the 800 mile mark. I have yet to duplicate at the service center. At least it has been noticed on their computers if my engine goes out. There has been a mechanical clinking noise also from under the driver side dash under the steering wheel. It sounds like a switch or relay. kind of like the signals are on but not in a sequenced clink. I was not able to duplicate either. The only thing they replaced was the front differential o-ring, It was leaking gear oil by the front driveshaft. I have been following the Posts and think that I just got a bad apple. The fact that my Av had to be delivered from another dealership could have contributed to my problems. Probably some careless kid driving 90+mph during the break in phase and with my luck in 4 low. :(
    G
  • fpmikefpmike Member Posts: 21
    I recently had a tire blow-out while driving on a freeway trip (at midnight, of course). This occurred with 2200 miles on the truck. I replaced the tire with the spare, continued to my destination and went to a local Chevy dealer the next morning. Inspection of the tire by the service manager indicated no road hazard damage and an area which indicated tread separation. Further inspection of the remaining tires revealed a steel wire sticking out of the sidewall of another tire. Approval for warranty replacement of all 4 tires was obtained and I am awaiting the return of my truck with a different lot number of the same tire. I would advise owners to inspect their tires.

The failed/defective tires in question are: Goodyear Wrangler AT/S P265/70R17 - 113S
    All tires had the same lot number (found on the back sidewall) DOT MK16 BYDR 1901
  • fpmikefpmike Member Posts: 21
    The Lot Number I previously posted had an error.
    The correct number is: DOT MKT6 BYDR 1901
    Hey GMOY25, I too have white smoke coming out of the exhaust after sitting a long time. I doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes after I have had it parked over night. I was going to take it to the dealer, but it doesn't do it everyday. Let me know if you find any thing out.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    How much effort does it take to close your hood? I usually like to drop the hood from about 6 inches to latch - but on the Av, I am throwing it down from about a foot. It explains the dent in the hood when I picked it up.
  • ropdropd Member Posts: 6
    My Av Z-71 is only about one week old and I love it. Only problem is I didn't read the fine print. After looking at 3 different units I was told by the salesman all three were the same except for color and side step and roof rack combinations. I then picked the one that had what I wanted. Yesterday, after realizing my mileage did not seem quite in line with what I had been reading in these chats, I checked the sticker and discovered the rear end was a 4.10 not the 3.73 that was on the first unit I test drove and the gearing I wanted. Can anybody tell me what increase I might get by dropping back to the 3.73 and how much the changeover might cost at Chevy? I'm also going to contact the dealer and do a little complaining but probably to no avail. After all, it was right there on the window for me to read.
    Rich
  • gmoy25gmoy25 Member Posts: 3
    Teriabel
    I have scheduled to leave my AV at the dealership next Tuesday after work, so they will experience the white smoke when they start it up in the morning. I reminded the service rep about the mechanical switch or relay noise too. I will keep you updated.

Ropd
    The 4.10s will make your RPMs higher at highway speeds, it will allow for more torque when towing up hills and the lower gear ratio will alow for a more controlled drive of tough terrain. The 4.10 will also be good if you decide to put bigger tires on your AV. I use to have a jeep with a 4.56:1 ratio and a 4:1 transfer case. With the stock tranny, I was at roughly 90:1 ratio. I'm not a rocket scientist but I think the engine revolves 90 times for every one complete turn of the wheel. Your gas mileage will suffer a bit. I hope this helps..
    Black AV Z-71
    G
    G

Thanks for the input. My boat and trailer weigh in at around 6,000 lbs. so I'm not so concerned with that end. My old Suburban had a 3.73 axle with the 454 engine and had no problem. My main concern is the mileage. I don't tow the boat that often but the truck is used every day to and from work. I'm just trying to decide if the fuel savings would justify re-doing the gears.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    have to buy a lot of gas over a lot of years to offset the cost of the change. I'd be surprised if it made more than a couple mpg difference. But have nothing factual to base it on.
  • spike1966spike1966 Member Posts: 6
    Sine I got my Avalance two things have been bothering me.

One...after washing the vehicle I constantly have water drips from the mirrors. Even after having it sit for 5-6 hours, the drips still came down. If you drive the vehicle after washing...the drips make an awful streak down the sides of the doors. Has anyone come across a way of getting rid of the excess water after washing? I know its petty...but I have the indigo blue and it shows everything.

Two...I know that after I own the vehicle longer than a week this will change...but I keep looking for my temperature and compass in that useless compartment above the rearview mirror...for some reason that black hole is where my eyes wander to...I have the sunroof so the upper console may be different for non-sunroof owners. I would appreciate any and all comments!
    so I have the same water streak problem. I grumble and live with it. I can think of two things neither of which I've tried. Blow the water out with an air gun. Wrap a "baggie" around the mirrors before you wash the vehicle and then wash them separately without a lot of water. Another thing that's always bugged the crap out of me is how for two days after you you've washed it or it rains when you put the window down it comes back up streaked with water. Never had that problem on the old body style.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    I have the same problem with the dripping water. I have the indigo blue also. I use a shammy cloth to get some of the water out under the mirrors. If you have a water softener, remember to bypass it because the salt spots when they dry really shows on the indigo blue.

I also thought that black hole was the temp and compass until I put my finger in it and said oh, that's what that is. Before that I was pushing on the homelink buttons trying to get the temp to come up. Duh.

I also have installed the mud flapps and running boards which seem to keep some road dirt and dust off the sides now.

Dennis
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Did you see my post (31) on the hood closing? What does it take to close yours? I'm trying to figure out if mine needs adjusted from other owners' experience.

I had the streaks on my Indigo, handwash with very little water worked, covering per txyank may be best.
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    Go over to the www.LS1.com forum. They have a "Show Car & Detailing" group with lots of good discussion about washing and detailing.
    One thing everyone there seem to make use of is "Leaf Blowers" for drying. Most of these guys have Black or other dark colored vehicles that water spots "wreak havoc" with. The other tip with water spots is "vinegar" to remove the mineral deposits.

Hope this helps
    Brad in SoCal
    Mine is the same way, you need to really slam it to get it closed. I also had a small dent in the hood. I think you are right that this stiffer closure requirement may have lead to this. I made them remove the dent, and anytime I go in for service I check before I leave for any new ones.

Bear
    There's probably a lot more peole with leaf blowers than with compressed air tanks.
  • spike1966spike1966 Member Posts: 6
    Wow...the leaf blower is a great idea. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I will try it out and let you all know how it worked for me.

spike1966@hotmail.com
    I too have to give mine a good push down to close it. Don't have to SLAM it, but takes more than a drop from 10" to close. My right door also takes a little extra effort to close per my wife. Maybe all the rubber gaskets?

Are any of you experiencing a slight rough idle after vehicle warmed up? I have tried mine both with and without AC on, still idles just a touch rough. I am going to get it in next week to have dealer check it out as soon as I get my other car back from shop.

One other thing, very early on in the AV posts, people were talking of a "Clunk" when turning to left with their Rados. I have experienced this twice in my AV, both at a dead stop, turning left at a stop sign/light. Anyone else?

I was told from sales department, get your AV lined up and tires balanced by service BEFORE 7500 miles. Up to that limit, service will take care of it, after, it is your baby. FYI
    Roger
    to do an alignment on my '96. Unless it's changed, the mileage limit that they go by is a Dealer thing. I heard 3 different limits from 3 diff. Dealers. Longest was 11K miles. As I recall 7,000 was the shortest.
    I haven't had any problems with the hood. I just give it a gentle tug from the complete open position and it latches tight. I've never even had to touch the top of the hood itself. Kinda gives the same dull thud as the doors. This may seem simplistic but I noticed some adjustable bumpers on either side of the radiator. Has anybody tried adjusting these. I'm not going to mess with mine (knock on wood)

Rich
    Hey all. Just a word to the wiser, use care to haul items such that they do not rub the rain gutters on the sides of the bed. I moved some items today, one of which rubbed the gutter and broke it. I keep a couple of short 2x4 blocks in the side pockets for just such occasions to block the item out away from the gutter by putting the 2x4 on the bed floor, thus holding the tall item out away from the side of the bed. Guess I miscalculated today. Roger.
    I have knocked mine off more than once with large loads, but they always just pop back in. I found the platic they are made out of very pliable and most of the time it just bends (returns to shape when the load is off). Thanks for the tip, guess I need to be more careful.

Bear
  • grumpy8grumpy8 Member Posts: 8
    While giving my "1800 on the odometer" Av a bath the other day, I was about to clean the rear window and to my horror there is a 1 inch space (crack)on the piece of plastic which frames the glass. I doubt I have had that window out twice. Haven't got hold of the Dealer yet. It would appear that the frame was too tight and maybe the heat popped it. Anyone else have any problems like this?
  • investedinvested Member Posts: 36
    I was cleaning the inside of my AV when I noticed a crack on the trim around the rear inside glass near the release handle on the passenger side!
    I am afraid for the dealer to remove or replace the panel as it might not ever fit the same. I will wait and see if it becomes a bulletin or just leave it as is.
  • grumpy8grumpy8 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply INVESTED. Same type of crack but on the drivers side. Naturally dealer had not seen one on the Av, but said it looked like ones on the sliding rear windows on trucks. He ordered me a new one and left the impression it would be covered by warranty. With two in the same place I'll bet there will be more. I will keep you posted. Mine does not look like it will leak till a new one arrives.
This discussion has been closed.