Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo 240 wagon stalling

mrl699mrl699 Member Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in Volvo
My 240 DL has 140,000 miles. It has been running fine, but lately has been stalling. It has stalls at lights and also stalls when the car is just cruising. After 10 minutes or so the car will start up again. The mechanic put in a new ignition wire harness and ignition control unit. After $800, it still stalls. Someone told me it was a fuel pump problem. The mechanic said it was not. Can someone help?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Fuel pump is a good guess, or fuel pump relay....generally, ignition failures do not fix themselves after ten minutes....not a great call by the mechanic.

What the mechanic needs to do is borrow the car, and when it stalls, test for spark and fuel. This is not rocket science, but sometimes intermittent problems can be very time-consuming, so mechanics often don't want to spend the time (and rightly, they find it hard to charge for driving around trying to "catch" your car's problem).
  • Options
    cchamccham Member Posts: 19
    there is a fuse in line with the battery about 6 inches back on the left inside fender under the hood. Check that out if its loose it will cause the fuel pump relay to quit. The relay is under the dash. That fuse has a notorious past for corroding. I'm thinking that maybe it wiggles loose enough to make it stall. just a thought. Also good advice available for Volvo owners ant brickboard.com
    good luck
This discussion has been closed.