Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Please, introduce yourself (Newcomers, start here)!

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Cindy!

Welcome aboard. If you haven't already done it you should visit the Honda CR-V discussion.

tidester, host
  • Options
    jbyejbye Member Posts: 10
    I've been reading this forum for a few weeks while trying to decide what to buy and, more importantly, what not to buy. Very helpful!

After test driving virtually everything available and researching myself silly, I picked up my new '05 Subaru Forester LL Bean last night. Great the first 47 miles!

Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    Congratulations! We love to hear success stories!

tidester, host
  • Options
    vladvlad Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I really enjoy reading your messages and I truly admire the level of expertise coming here from all corners of life. Recently I purchased my first SUV - a used 2001 Dodge Durango SLT with 77,000 km and 2WD, 4WD-high and 4WD-low driving modes. So, finally I also have some questions to ask:

1/ What goat-like surprises can I expect from 2WD Durango in the winter? Any tips how to improve its behavior?

2/ Since I live in the area of sometimes questionable winter driving conditions (Ontario), I wonder whether AWD mode couldn’t be a better choice (in the summer, I often pull a camping trailer, nevertheless my questions relate to winter driving only).

3/ I would also like to receive your advice about when I should safely engage the 4WD-high mode while driving on-road (rain, heavy rain, snow, snow storm, ice?)

4/ And when exactly to apply 4WD-low

5/ Are skid plates really needed for a heavy snow? When mounted, do they create annoying obstacles for future maintenance of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

Vlad
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Vlad,

Welcome to the SUV side of Town Hall!

It looks like you've found the Durango and 4WD discussions just fine. Other members should be able to answer your questions in there.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    crimsonpawcrimsonpaw Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I just discovered this forum and WOW there's a lot of info here. Hopefully I'll find the pointers to direct me to my next purchase. I'm sure I'll get the help I'm looking for.

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Crimsonpaw, welcome.

There is a lot of info here. If you want to try to find something specific, try an Advanced Search from the left sidebar. If you are getting ready to buy, check out the Prices Paid & Buying Experiences boards.

Otherwise, enjoy browsing around, and yell if you have questions.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    taragrltaragrl Member Posts: 1
    hey, i am now in the market for my first SUV: safety is very important to me, but price is also an issue, i will probably only be able to afford a used vehicle...

i am a bit overwhelmed with the number (makes & models) of SUV's out there...and i don't really know where to start...especially as i am not searching for a 2005 model

i suppose the most important issue to me is safety; where can i find the safest 2000/1 year SUV (i know there have been new additions that make newer models safer -- but i can't necessarily afford that) would leasing be a better option? i think i'd rather buy...

please let me know where to head.

thanks,
    tara
    la, ca
  • Options
    Welcome aboard!

Take a look at our Site Directory. There is a category listed as safety that provides links to information that you might find useful. You might also want to peruse Safety Tips.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • Options
    ladysagaladysaga Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Is anyone out there having a problem with their wipers causing scratches on the windshield? I leased an 2004 Envoy at the end of July and in two months there are visible scratches on the passenger side which follow the path of the blades. Any insight into this problem would be appreciated.
    thx
    Debbie
  • Options
    Welcome to edmunds.com!

You might try asking other Envoy owners in the Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada discussion. Good luck!

tidester, host
  • Options
    slynchslynch Member Posts: 8
    I am new to the forums. Over the past month, I have used Edmunds.com and the messsage boards within while my wife and I shop for new SUV. I posted a question about handling in the snow and received some great feedback.

We have narrowed it down to the CRV, RAV4 and Ford Escape. Leaning toward CRV or Escape. Drawback to CRV is that does not come in a V6, but we live in DC and not sure we need it.

Any insight on these vehicles or others in it's class and price range would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Welcome.

For the CR-V and Escape, check out the CR-V vs Escape comparison topic. People are discussing the Toyota in the Toyota RAV4 board.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    newdrivernewdriver Member Posts: 3
    Hi, i just signed up to the forum. Im seeking advice on which SUV to get for a high school student, and i had posted a thread asking for advice. I just want to say this forum rockss
  • Options
    This discussion may be of interest:

Insuring teenage drivers

Plus this one:

Selecting and Buying My First Car

And this old topic from a couple of years ago is a quick read:

Need help deciding first SUV

Welcome to Edmunds!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from other members.

tidester, host
  • Options
    mgmagoomgmagoo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all: I am the less than proud owner of a Land Rover Discovery 11 (2001). The car has been nothing short of a nightmare. It's had two transmissions, a myriad of leaks, etc. I am back in the market for something that drives like a Rover but that has more room in it for seating and much more reliable. I am a bit of a car snob and has driven the Yukon as a loaner and thought it was mediocre. Any advice
  • Options
    Welcome to Edmunds.

Maybe check out the Volvo XC90 SUV and the Lexus LX 470 boards. And perhaps the Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) board. Even if those models don't grab you, you'll get some more ideas from other members in there.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    new_daddynew_daddy Member Posts: 12
    I am a very proud owner of a 1992 GMC Suburban. I love it, and wouldn't part with it for $1 million, although I might consider $2 mil. ;)

Anyway, I bought it new, and it was the first year of the major body redesign (the previous being 1973). I still drive it today with 340,000 miles on it, and the original engine continues to purr and run well. A brief description of its maintenance history can be found at http://www.epinions.com/content_61005860484
  • Options
    Oh yeah, you're the "Whoa" guy :-). Apparently only Chevy has Suburbans now? I guess we can add GMC to the category list over in the Chevy Suburban discussion so folks don't miss posts like yours.

btw, one of my cars has 100,000 miles on it, so I'm trying to keep up with you. Maybe I'll catch you in around 20 years. Welcome!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    eugenethejeepeugenethejeep Member Posts: 8
    I joined your site to discuss the Liberty with others who know much more than myself. I have been to the Jeep board and posted already, thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks for participating and welcome.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jimwhitejimwhite Member Posts: 3
    Automotive forums look like a great way to learn more about a vehicle, so it's great to be here and I'm looking forward to the discussions.

I have a 2004 TrailBlazer LS short wheelbase with just over 5000 km on it. It's my first SUV (after 2 Lumina APVs and an old '83 full size GM station wagon) and so far I like it fine. The levels of standard equipment and refinement are more than I expected from Chevy, certainly a big step forward from the old APV. I have a question about 4WD on this vehicle to post when I find out where to post it.

Jim W.
  • Options
    Welcome Jim.

I've noticed a couple of references to the Pontiac Parisienne this week, and it's new to me. Or was it just a Canadian thing?

Try the Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada discussion for starters, and check out the Owner's Club link there. And there's also a generic 4WD & AWD systems explained discussion that may be of interest.

If you get lost, just yell and Tidester or I will be happy to point you in some direction.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    newbie1newbie1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello; my name is Paul(Newbie1). Seriously

considering a Land Rover Disco for size (just right) and abilities (Awd w/4_low). I own a Montero (Gen I) and had a Rodeo (which the wife

rolled in a snow bank last week)((safe truck,

not even a scratch on wife or child)). Need a

replacement with larger cargo area and AWD

to make it simple. Subaru was on the list but

no larger than Rodeo? Thanks in advance for any

info.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard, Paul!

Have you taked a look at the Land Rover Discovery/Discovery II discussion?

tidester, host
  • Options
    suv_fansuv_fan Member Posts: 24
    I love Edmunds.com & its forums, but took a break from car shopping until January sometime. Now my lease is due 2/16/05 and I'm no closer to finding a new vehicle!!

I want to stay under $300/mo including tax and figured a lease is the only way to go, but I'm having trouble finding good lease deals. I've been to car_man's board (lease questions) but I hate the whole money factor thing, even though it's important. Also, so many people who post there are leasing expensive cars!

Admittedly, I am considering minivans more than SUV's; with another bun in the oven, I'd love a power sliding door. Plus, with a $300 limit, I think I'd be limited to compact SUV's; no bigger than my '99 Bravada.

Worst predicament? Parents offered me mom's '98 Ford Taurus, free of charge, until I'm back on my feet! Can't imagine turning it down, but I hate cars, love being higher up since I'm 5'1.5", I'll miss SUV's, etc. We'll see...

Just wanted to say hi, I guess, since I can't sleep ;)

Oh, am curious why Mazda dealer told me he wasn't sure if the banks were still leasing new 04 MPV's. If they're new vehicles, why couldn't they be leased as easily as 05's? This goes for any vehicle, of course.

~Terri
  • Options
    Hi Terri, welcome.

I would jump at a free car; I like those kind of predicaments :-).

Check out the Ford Freestyle; I've heard rumors of good lease deals on them.

And we're open 24/7 so stop in anytime!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    utterutter Member Posts: 79
    Hey Everyone!

I am new around here so I thought I should post here first! I am 23 I live in the DC metro area and I work in marketing. I am currently thinking of moving out of the city and since I have started getting into cars, and thinking about getting one I thought I would join up and chat. On a side note, sometime I work with cool clients so I might be able to share some cool things with you all. So I look forward to talking.

Peace.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! What kind of vehicle do you have in mind?

We're looking forward to hearing from you on the boards but please keep it on topic! :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    utterutter Member Posts: 79
    Well, I am not sure right now. Prior to this I owned a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder which was pretty good. I like dbeing able to move everything around on my own nad always rely on it in bad weather. But it was one uncomfortable car and not so great with gas.

So I am thinking of switching to more of a sedan or sporty car. My bro-in-law recently bought na Audi that I really like, or possibly a VW. I have my eyes open. Thats all. Anything really great to look forward to that you know of? IN the lower price range, I am not rich yet..:-)
  • Options
    I would recommend browsing through our 2005 Buying Guide. And if you're not in a hurry you might pick up a copy of the edmunds.com 2005 Annual New Cars & Trucks Buyer's Guide (through amazon.com, e.g.) which has lots of great pictures, facts, reviews, comparisons and ratings. That will give you a good overview and help you narrow down your choices.

tidester, host
  • Options
    hankhillhankhill Member Posts: 3
    New to the board. Not an suv owner now but will be. Will be buying pasture land. I want an suv I can drive across the pasture. my wife likes the bells and whistles of the escalade, land cruiser,lx 470, etc. I want one that can handle the pasture and one that folds down flat in the back without having to remove a seat. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! Have you given any thought to getting a truck?

tidester, host
  • Options
    paulsanpaulsan Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    We have all the seasons in Pennsylvania and require a vehicle to acommodate all of them. Our vehicle history includes sedans, a minivan, and currently a 2002 Forester. The Subaru is good to us overall, we haven't missed a beat during the snow and summer drives on the beach. Now the size of the family (tall teens and dog) requires us to shop for something slightly larger, not necessarily a third row seat.
    Test drives are deceiving for me, because the sales person always tells you to drive "over the bumps and potholes and don't forget the highway onramp!" Well, every new car handles these conditions pretty well in my opinion. I'm more interested in what people have to say after they have driven it for awhile.
  • Options
    Hi Paulsan, welcome to Edmunds.

You may want to browse around the Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute vs Saturn Vue comparison topic for ideas and then branch out from there.

Since you had a minivan before, try the SUV vs. Minivans discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Hi. I somedidn't see this part when I signed in about two weeks ago. Better late than never, I hope. I boutght a Liberty Limited on Jan.26 this year. After reading what some paid for their Liberty (if their being truthfull) I proberly paid a little to much. MSSP was $28795, I paid $25300. It was made in August of 04.and reflects the base befor it was raised. But someone has to pay for the lights, and flowers my wife got. Right?

We live very close to Lake of the Ozarks. The Jeep is our 13 Chrysler made car, truck or Suv. I have been very pleased with Chrysler products, and I have had really good service (except one dealer) out of six dealerships. Dodge replaced one 1996 Caravan we bought new and 6 months and 21,000 miles later they felt over 24 trips for repair, which we did not pay for, was not acceptable by their standards. They gave us a substution of exactally the same Caravan, and cost me $25. transfer fee. That sold me on Chrysler products.

We use the jeep and the 4wheel drive every day. After the dealer reflashed the jeep we are now getting at the last fill up 20.33 mpg. At first we were a little skeptical of the Liberty as it is different form our old Dakota. Now we really like it. It clims live a mountian goat, and is very solidly built.

We have two Neons, a 2004 and a 1996 with 175,00 miles on the orignal engine. We mantain our cars and trucks and I always get the extended service contract, and only once did it not fail to pay for it's self.

I am having a problem finding the answers to my questions or responses to relpys I have given. Help, please.
  • Options
    Hi Farout, welcome to Edmunds.

Try the Search This Discussion box at the bottom of the Liberty forums if you don't see a reply to your posts. And sometimes people overlook questions or get sidetracked on hot threads. Also, if you haven't already, please post your buying experiences over in Jeep Liberty: Prices Paid & Buying Experience so others can benefit. thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    splitpeasoupsplitpeasoup Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new, I own a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder, my first car was an '87 Pathfinder. My dream is to take my car on Pimp My Ride.... I'm here because I like to keep up to date on new automotive technology and so I can learn if others have had the same maintenance issues I have... hope to get to know people soon.
  • Options
    Hi, SPS. Welcome aboard!

If you haven't already found the Pathfinder boards here are some to get you started:

Nissan Pathfinder

Nissan Pathfinder Club-FAQ

Nissan Pathfinder Club-Performance Mods

Nissan Pathfinder Owners: Problems & Solutions

Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Options
    jslcruiserjslcruiser Member Posts: 2
    I'm the proud owner of a 1997 Land Cruiser - I absolutely love this vehicle, even though I've had multiple mechanical problems (wholly attributable to the previous owner) since I bought it a couple of years ago (with only ~ 35k miles on it) and am looking forward to participating in discussion and learning as much as I can!
  • Options
    Welcome to Edmunds. Share the love over in the Toyota Land Cruiser discussion. :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ostaosta Member Posts: 9
    Hi! I'm new here.

I currently drive a 2001 Subaru Outback and I am looking into a new SUV. I am leaning towards Toyota Highlander or Nissan Murano and possibly the new Subaru Tirbeca. The most important item for me in a new vehicle is Sat Nav as I am in independent computer consultant and travel to new destinations constantly.

I have been reading many of the forums here but have not found direct comparisons of those vehicles. I have found plenty of good information here. If anyone can point me to any threads or reviews that would help thanks in advance.
  • Options
    You can find a review of the Murano (2003) here: Road Tests: First Drives and a full review of the Highlander here: Road Tests: Full Tests

Have you looked at the Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X) discussion in Future Vehicles?

There are no active discussions comparing any of these vehicles head to head but you might consider starting up your own!

tidester, host
  • Options
    michianamichiana Member Posts: 8
    I am mostly a car lover, but I have a stock '93 Grand Cherokee, 6 cyl, Quad-trac that is awesome to take off roading. And I am having some technical difficulties with it.
    Other than that I enjoy drag racing '69 Camaro with 454, stock body and working on my '80 Camaro.
  • Options
    In case you missed the message I posted in reply to your other message these are the boards you should look into:

Got a Quick, Technical Question?

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Grand Cherokee problems

And welcome aboard!

tidester, host
  • Options
    jeepster8jeepster8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'm new to this board. It was recommended to me. I'm having a problem w/my Wrangler and thought I'd try to find out if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Here's the issue. My 2002 Wrangler engine light is on. My mechanic determined the EVAP codes and suggested taking it to a dealer for service. The service called today and told me I had a leak in the seal around the top of the gas tank, it would have to be dropped and resealed, and the retention pump was leaking - that had to be replaced and carbon had built up so I'd have to have fuel injection cleaned, etc. All of which is not under warranty, all of which is due to normal "wear and tear" and "maintenance" - upwards of $1000 in repairs.

I was pretty annoyed - the car is three years old. My '90 Jeep - now 15 years old, has never had a problem of this nature. I called Chrysler, they said, after an hour conversation between me and the service center - there was nothing they could do. It's maintenance.

I plan to write to Chrysler and anyone else I can think of. Anyone else experience this? Advice welcome.

Jeepster8
  • Options
    You will definitely want to visit Jeep Wrangler where the most enthusiastic and knowledgable Wranglers hang out.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Hey Jeepster, you'll find lots of help and advice over in the Jeep Wrangler discussion. And welcome to Edmunds.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    deskdesk Member Posts: 20
    Hi,
    I just joined the Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute vs Saturn Vue forum and just saw the Intro thread, so as has been said before, better late than never.

I have a '98 Subaru Forester, purchased new, now has 125,000 miles, mostly highway. No problems, and I love this car. Just had big service done, installed new timing belt, new tires, new battery, and just discovered that my airbag is broken. That is, it will not deploy, need to replace roll connector and airbag assembly for left side. It will cost me about $1400 to do this. I'm wondering if it might be time to replace this vehicle with a comparable one, especially since everything but the brakes (and airbag) are essentially brand new and it may sell better. I was looking at the Highlander and the Ford Escape, initially because of the hybrid option, but prices are so high, and maybe technology is too new, I don't know.

Alternatively, I don't know if I should just spend the $1400 and replace the airbag assembly and drive this for another couple of years, potentially saving up for the next car purchase.

The size of this Forester is perfect for me. I have a daily commute of about 80 miles round trip. I have dogs and sometimes need to load 2 or 3 dog crates in my car. The Forester holds the crates to my satisfaction. My husband likes to haul stuff. I personally require AWD or similar because my old Saab (220,000 miles - I try to maintain my cars!) used to hydroplane in the rain and it scared me to death. I know AWD won't stop me from hydroplaning, but I feel more secure - should I?? Most of my driving is on highways but local roads are narrow and hilly and I've been grateful for the AWD numerous times. I really do not want to drive a 2WD for my daily commute. And of course good mileage is important. I average about 21-23 mpg now and would be happy to get more like 30 mpg.

So I'm poking around to see if I should replace now, and if so, should I stick with a Forester or consider some other vehicle? Are hybrids worth the money at this time? OR, should I just fix the airbag and drive the car into the ground? I refuse to drive without the airbag, especially since about 70% of my driving is in the dark and I simply feel more secure with an airbag. And how will I know when I've driven the car into the ground?

Too many questions? :confuse: Any help is much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Desk

Please direct

Anyway,