Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• rkinsey2005rkinsey2005 Member Posts: 2
    Cool, thanks. I replaced the crankshaft sensor and that took care of it. Part was 80 or 90 bucks and it wasn't too hard to install it. took about an hour max.

And to reply to the dude up there with air coming our one side and heat the other, simply enough, check the temperature for the right side of the car. There is temperature control for both sides, just push the button in to turn it on/off.
  • floridammgfloridammg Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 also. It was shutting off but only because it was not getting gas. They replaced the airflow sensor and it seems to work ok. Knock on wood. I am getting rid of it as soon as I can.
  • fastbenz2fastbenz2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Catera. Just recently the leveling light comes on. When I shut the car off and turn it back on the light stays off for awhile and then comes back on again. Anyone else have this problem ? Where do I begin to look ?
  • jimbo555jimbo555 Member Posts: 1
    while installing a new crank position sensor,noticed a loose wire at the back of the engine, marked f1. does anyone know what it is and where it hookes up.
  • okmommyof3okmommyof3 Member Posts: 1
    I can't complain too much because I only paid $2100 for my 1997 Catera two years ago but here I go. Immediately after buying my car I had to take it in to have a sensor replaced for the transmission because the light kept coming on and making the car drive sluggish. Now my car has the following issues that I would love any help in resolving:

1) The transmission acts like it is slipping between 1st and 2nd gear but drives fine once you get past that.

2) The heater only blows on the driver's side of the car. The passenger side always blows cold air (I haven't gotten to see how it blows now that it is summer because of my next issue with the car).

3) When I pour water into the coolant spot (I know, it's not the $10 stuff I'm supposed to use), you can immediately see the water pouring back out the front of the engine. I have parked the car because of this issue because the coolant light immediately comes on and I'm afraid of blowing up the engine.

4) I think the sunroof motor is going out because when I try to open/close it, it takes a really long time.

I really like this car and would love to get it running again to get me back and forth to work so I can leave my minivan with my husband and our kids during the day. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
  • fatcat01fatcat01 Member Posts: 1
    So I drove up the street, smelled sewage water, turned the corner to realize the back passenger floor was about 1 inch high with rainwater. Apparently somehow the rain is draining through the "foot" air conditioner/heating vent from the front passenger seat. Anyone else with this problem?

I also agree with many of the problems here. I have a 1997, top of the line catera. It has a Slow coolant leak (1 bottle about every 3 to 4 months), every now and then the transmission doesn't shift right, I have no heat on the driver side in the winter (a lot of fun to deal with when there is ice on it!), Long back break light went out, Key gets stuck in ignition and I fix it by pushing the shifter around in the park position, and the electrical system seems like its fighting yet still working to open and close the windows! Enough said? Ohh and the dealer wanted about $3-4,000 to fix the coolant leak, I would rather pay the $10 every couple months for the coolant... I’m keeping the car till it runs into the ground! Get my moneys worth.
  • jonyboy4jonyboy4 Member Posts: 1
    Well the car cooling system is not working right..... the ridier is fine but we can't see whats the problem the car keeps cooling down.Oh and we have to keep putting water we don't know what happens to it, it magicy disapears. The car is '99' catera
  • ibspottedibspotted Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 catera with intermittent power to the radio panel. Radio won't work and neither will the trunk or fuel latch. Turn the car off, turn it back on everything works. Problems get worse when it gets hot out.
    Check engine light also on, I think that is another problem.
  • adoschadosch Member Posts: 3
    Hi Rodney,
    I just pruchased a used 2000 Cadillac Catera with 27,000 miles on it. The oil light comes on and off...its filled with oil. I took it to my mechic and he put a manuel oil pressure gague on it. He found it has low pressure and he very concern that the engine will go....have you heard about this problem...should I be concern??!!! Has anyone had the same problems?!
    adosch
  • freudafreuda Member Posts: 4
    Help me Caddy Guy. I have a 2001 Catera. My check engine light came on, but the car ran great! In Missouri if the check engine light is on we cannot renew our plates for emissions testing. So I went to autozone and they said both upstream O2 sensors were bad according to their tester. I replaced them and started the engine. The car ran good for 5 seconds and then ran rough for 10 seconds and died. When I replaced the sensors I disconnected the battery cable. I read in the owners manual if you leave the key in the run position for 3 min, turn to off position this gives the electronic throttle control time to recalibrate. I tried that and I have the same problem. I am out of ideas and my next option is having the car towed in, which irks me because I had a perfectly good running car! If you have any suggestions I would be grateful. Steve
    I have a 2001 Catera. My check engine light came on, but the car ran great and no problems. In Missouri if the check engine light is on we cannot renew our plates for emissions testing. I went to Autozone and the said both upstream sensors were bad according to their tester. I replaced them and started the engine. The car ran good for 5 seconds and then ran rough for 10 seconds and died. I disconnected the battery cable when I replaced the sensors. It was as if it was starved for gas. I checked the owners manual and it stated that leave the key in the run position (not start) for 3 min and then turn to off position, this gives the Electronic Throttle Control time to recalibrate. I tried that and I have the same problem. I am running out of ideas and my next option is having the car towed in and be at the mercy of the Caddilac dealer. That irks me because I had a perfectly good running Catera. HELP! If any one has any idea...let me know..Thanks
  • diva36diva36 Member Posts: 4
    I'm having several problems with my 2000 Catera it has 66k miles for the most part the car runs great and I love it. Right now i'm having issues with the ABS/Traction control light coming on as well as the check engine light. The dealership wants to charge $2600 to replace the computer. Has anyone had this problem if so what was the solution. I was also told that I could replace the vehicle speed sensor and that could solve my problem.
  • robertsjerrylrobertsjerryl Member Posts: 1
    Hello Caddyguy1

I own a 2000 Cadillac Catera; I have two problems:

1. Just recently the oil pressure warning light has decided to start giving me warning. For example: I can be driving in traffic for long period of time – rush hour and when I come to a stop sign or stop signal and make a complete stop; the needle of the gauge will dip into the red zone on the gauge and then the red warning light will come on for a second and go out. A few times the warning light came on and stayed on until I move the car to the shoulder of the road (when I was moving the car to the shoulder; the oil pressure moved out of the red zone), but I turn the car off and restarted and I didn’t have a problem after that.
    2. My fog light just stop working, but I live without those…lol
  • heckofamanheckofaman Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I'm another happy 2000 Catera owner, but I decided to buy one that had been certified by GM which has saved me a ton of $ in repair expense.

Actually, most of the problems that I have read about have never occurred to my car in over 97,000 miles of use. However, the car was recalled in December of 2002 to replace the timing belt and belt tensioner which could malfunction causing sudden engine failure. My car had this failure right after the dealer had performed the recall repair... obviously he didn't know what he was doing.

I am curious if anyone else has had a timing belt failure or has kept a Catera past 100,000 miles and has had the belt replaced??? [I'm thinking of having the dealer do the job for $315 plus another $125 for a new water pump.]

PS: The car is nearly flawless and runs great!!!
  • caterajunkcaterajunk Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2000 catera and about 1 year ago I replaced the timing belt $1100.00 how do you find out abot recalls. one week ago the car just died cut off in transit. Now my mechanic is saying that its the engine/ valves or head but it doesnot even have 100 thousand miles yet. Please reply and i still owe on the junk. :cry::cry::cry: :sick:
  • heckofamanheckofaman Member Posts: 6
    If you give a GM dealer your VIN number they can look up any recall notice or other info on your car. Unless the mechanic has worked on other Cateras with the same issue I wouldn't let him touch it.

The first GM dealer (small dealer} that replaced my belt had never done it before (the recall had just been announced) and the belt lasted only a few k miles...the mechanic did not adjust the belt tensioner correctly. This is key or the belt will fail.

I have learned to talk directly to the mechanics and ask about their experience with any serious problems....typically if the dealer is large and sells alot of cars they have experienced mechanics and can save you $ in the repair work.
    Hey....

I have 2000 also, had to have belt replaced almost two years ago car only had 65000 miles. Then it was a sensor now the car won't start and they think it's the front engine or valves or something. Never will i buy another american car.
  • trinellatrinella Member Posts: 6
    Fatcat.... i just experienced it today! About an inch of water on the passenger front and rear floor boards. Man was I pissed off. So did you repair the problem or not.
    Freuda, I just purchased a 2001 Catera in mint shape and as soon as I drove it of the lot .... the lights came on. I found that the EBTCM (electronic brake traction control module) needs to be replaced. My dealer said it would cost $3500! All it is...is a computer module the size of cigarette box. I found a company that sells them for $469 and ships them overnight for $35. Take it to a dealer and they will install it for couple hundred dollars. Here is the link: http://www.ebcmdirect.com/finditfast/

Hope this helps....
    Diva....stop don't buy it from the dealership.. listen to my story:

I just purchased a 2001 Catera in mint shape and as soon as I drove it of the lot .... the lights came on. Dealer found that the EBTCM (electronic brake traction control module) needs to be replaced. My dealer said it would cost $3500! All it is...is a computer module the size of cigarette box. I found a company that sells them for $469 and ships them overnight for $35. You have to give them the part number which your dealer will give you. Buy it and have them ship it to you. Then Take it to a dealer and they will install it for couple hundred dollars. Here is the link: http://www.ebcmdirect.com/finditfast/

Hope this helps....
    Dear Happy Owner.... the timing belt should be replaced on most vehicles at about 60,000 miles. Pay now or pay more later...
    your choice
    Hi All,

A few weeks ago my 2000 Catera just stopped in middle of street. W/N take a jump so I had it towed. After testing and checking my mechanic said the ENGINE was gone. I still had 7 more months of payments. So I decided to let it go. I've put a timing belt, sensors, and just too much money so I called my finance company and told them they can finance me for something else and tack on my balance or I would be forced to do a voluntary reposseion. Waiting to hear back from them. I will never buy another american car again. So now as I spit out money for rental cars I am sad that such a nice looking car was a lemon from birth. I had to unplug the respirator...NO MORE CATERA..OH AND MY MECHANIC HAD THREE OF THESE CARS ON THE SAME DAY. GOOD LUCK TO EACH OF YOU CATERA DRIVERS AND REMEMBER ALWAYS BE PREPARED WITH THAT CAR. THANKS ALL FOR SHARING AND RESPONDING ...MUCH LOVE...SHARR :surprise: :) I feel so much better for I was really afraid of the car
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    Just wanted to say with all the posts about how bad these Cateras are, we apparently have a pretty good one :) (knock on wood - haha). My Mom bought her Catera new in 1998. It now has 55K miles on it and the only things we have had repaired on it are the crankshaft sensor was replaced a while back and I replaced the heater control valve ($90 part at GM dealer, free labor LOL and it only took me about an hour to do it). The only other thing we've done is pretty much normal maintenance, to wit - a new battery and a new set of tires. Everything on the car works perfectly just as it should work with no problems whatsoever. I personally drive a Lexus so I wouldn't exactly brag about how the Caddy handles on the road as it doesn't even come close to a Lexus but as far as dependability and zero breakdowns, I guess we've been pretty lucky. Anyway, just wanted to throw a little "good" in with all the "bad". Good luck to everyone that's having problems with their Catera :lemon: .
    Update to message 326. As it tuns out......it was the mass air flow sensor and a bad accessory fuse disabling the rear o2 sensors. I guess I'll never know if the front o2 sensors were bad but I guess I got new ones. As I understand it the mass air flow sensor samples the air going to the engine and sets the idle for the car. What makes it go bad is any ones guess. Mine was clean as a whistle. I am just a backyard mechanic but by reading this forum, I have saved $$ Thanks to all
    Trinella that is cheap. I checked www.rockauto.com where I get most my stuff and they were higher. I can't understand why it would cost $3500 at the dealer unless it was gold or silver plated. Thanks for the link, I am sure I'll eventually need one. If I keep replacing parts I aspire to be forum guru.... :shades:
  • vicktorlacvicktorlac Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 CATERA AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND MY DAD WHO IS A MECHANIC TOLD ME TO CHECK THE SAME THING--IF YOU FIND A WAY TO INCREASE THE OIL PRESSURE LET ME KNOW AND ILL DO THE SAME FOR YOU IF I FIND OUT ANY THING
  • red1151red1151 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently replacing the intake and exhaust valves in my friend's Catera, because the belt skipped timing and all the valves hit the pistons. Apparently any frickin part for this car is expensive, because I am having trouble finding new valves for under 20 bucks a piece. If anyone knows where I can find valves cheaper please reply asap. Because I already took the heads into the machine shop.

Thanks for your time, and for the people who say "I'll never buy another american car" you sicken me with your bias attitude, and by the way this car was completely designed and built in Germany as a re-badged Opel. Do your homework.
    Hello all

In a hurry but uyou all are my friends so look who needs the heads or valves? There is a cadillac dealer who will send the parts but I can't get the info untill tomorrow nite. email me back if you want them. and there was a rat in my car that probaly ate a wire that mechanic overlooked. aia already did a voluntary repo on the car so I'll never know. Take Care all catera junk my email is [email protected]
  • brandon5brandon5 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a simply question is the collant light the light that has a cirle with lines around it.
    can you tell me what the light that has a circle with the ditted lines around it means thanks?
    If you're talking about the circle with dotted lines on each side of it, that is the Brake Pad Wear Indicator Light. If you're talking about a dotted circle with "TC" in the middle of it, that is the Traction Control System warning light. The coolant system warning light looks like a small radiator. Hope this helps you. ;)
    thanks
    Hi, I have a 1998 catera can you tell me where the thermostat is located is it inside the motor or on the side by the outlet.
    Hi, I know for a fact that there is a thermostat inside the engine as well as one outside. The one inside causing problems like steam from hood, mine ran a little hot to.
    I don't know what you're talking about when you say "Vehicle Speed Sensor".. I always thought that was called a "Radar Gun" and usually the police have them and I don't think you'll find one on a Catera but good luck in your search.
    There is only one (1) engine coolant thermostat on the Catera and it is located in the engine behind the radiator inlet hose. However, there is a heater control valve that is located between the engine and the firewall and this may be what brandon5 is making reference to as a thermostat external of the engine even though it is NOT a thermostat. ;)
    thanks for the correction, just a female here.. ;)
  • spennyspenny Member Posts: 2
    I just turned 80,000 miles. Right now I'm dealing with a bad oil change at Wal-Mart. Thought I could save money instead of going to the dealer....my car has been leaking oil ever since they changed it. I've NEVER leaked oil before. Will know tomorrow how ballistic I have to get!!! I went by there Tues, they gave me a lame excuse, said it was straightened out. I'm leaking again.
    Hey, everytime I tried to get oil change at Walmart I was told they didnot have the correct tools to use on Cateras
    make sure they didnot force anything and if I were you I would call Walmart Corporate and let them know what happened. Remember the people changing oil at walmart are not always respondsible people.
    Well, caterajunk is right. The catera oil drain plug requires a torx socket bit (either a T40 or T45 - can't remember for sure) but it is not an expensive tool and I would think that Wal Mart would get one out of their automotive department for their shop if they needed to. Other than that, a catera oil change is very similar to any other car. One thing to consider beings as Wal Mart mechanics may not exactly be "top of the line", the drain plug has a nylon washer with it and maybe they didn't put the washer back on the plug and you would be trying to seal oil with metal to metal (hard to do). Another thing to consider, before you pounce on Wal Mart (LOL), cateras are notorious for leaky valve covers. If you can smell burning oil after the car heats up and you stop it and get out, chances are the valve covers are leaking, especially with 80K miles. If not and it leaks oil when it's parked, either the drain plug is the culprit or the oil filter isn't screwed on tight enough. Hopes this helps you somewhat and good luck.
  • nogm4menogm4me Member Posts: 13
    Howdy,I use an allen wrench, 3/16 or 1/4 I believe to undo the oil plug for an oil change. That worked until I got the
    appropo torx bit as spenny suggests. The plug takes an "o"
    ring bye the way. Which may have been nicked by the Wal-mart
    space technicians. Hence the oil leak. Also I have found that the larger ( Fram part no. ) 3980 oil filter cartridge
    works in that tight space. The small filter is 3387A I think.By that method I can extend my oil change interval to beyond 6,000 miles with the extra capacity(6 qt.) crankcase level. If you want sumtin' done right,..do it yoself .
    Hey Gnguru, Great Job.....Proud of you and you are rig ;) ht ...DO IT YOURSELF!! Well my catera is dead and gone and I felt so much relief. Now looking for a good cas mini van or suv as I still owe six months on the catera. I just refuse to put an engine in the car. Anyway glad you got her fix.
  • alrickpalrickp Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Catera. I have tons of problems with it. The latest is my radio losses power intermittently. When this occurs, I cannot open the trunk. I tried to fix this last summer. They repaired the radio and the control box in the back but the problem came back. HELP? :sick:
    I have the same problem with my radio. Did you get this fixed? How did you fix it?
    Hello......
    Don't have my catera anymore but that happen to me once, then the lights. My mechanic always fixed it free of charge by resetting the computor. After we did that about three times I experienced no more problems. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
  • diva36diva36 Member Posts: 4
    Did you have to have the part programed?
    Trinella, from my understanding the computor controlled a lot on the Catera. Each time he reset the computor I had no more problems. In my car the clock, radio and gauges would just stop for no reason but he said the computor was off. Sorry I can't be of more help. Also I researched Catera recalls and did find the radio as having known problems. Let me know if I can assist you in anyway. Good Luck
  • ibspottedibspotted Member Posts: 4
    The radio and control box is not the problem, it's a multi function relay. They replaced relay part #90494163 and sensor part #90528435. The relay cost $90.32 and the sensor $230.57 total with labor 450.79. In your case the sensor may not need to be replaced. Cadillac service should have known about this problem.
    thank you so much. will try that.
  • richter1richter1 Member Posts: 8
    Have a 98 catera. the a/c compresser will not come on. Fuses are good as well as the relays. Not that summer is over, If you want heat to come out It will blow warm for about 30 seconds then gets cold. They is plenty of antifreeze, Would the heater control valve do this & if so where would it be located. thanks