Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owners - Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Tundra!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I am an office manager of a law firm and I teach college (finance and accounting).

My tundra is a 2000 regular cab V6 manual with currently just around 30,000 miles.

Option when bought are:
    air conditioning
    sliding rear window
    towing package
    bedliner
    variable intermittent wipers and tilt steering
    rear bumper

Options I added after I bought it are:
    7 plug wiring harness
    trailer electric brake control
    fog lights
    Kenwood cassette and cd
    wheel covers
    bigger tires: 265/70 16 MIchelin LTX MS

The tundra is mainly used for camping. It pulls my 26 foot Sunnybrook. It is also used for hauling wood and my siberian huskies.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    So that all models can be included, the name of this forum has been changed to Toyota Truck Owners.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Karen,

Thank you very much for updating the name of this forum. I appreciate having a place to post and share information with other Toyota truck owners!

My name is Paul - I live in Georgia & own a basic 1993 Toyota pickup. I bought it with 101k miles on the clock figuring it was just starting to get broken in. Well, two years and 33k more miles later it is still going strong - after minimal maintenance to bring it back to the way it was supposed to run from the factory. These were small things such as a tune up, fuel filter replacement, changing the brake and clutch fluid, valve cover gasket replacement, and water pump replacement. OK, so they were not all really small things, but I could do them all myself and saved a TON of money doing so - unlike the horror stories I hear from people about other used vehicles and repair facilities.

What I like best about the truck is that it is extremely dependable & reliable - even when the water pump "went" it did not break down, just started to leak a few drops of coolant that I noticed during an oil change. Also financially this vehicle is amazing: I paid $4,000 for it and could probably still sell it today for $3,000+ even after having two good years and 33k miles of use from it. If one wants to own an affordable vehicle with minimal repairs, this is definitely one way to do it!

People tell me this truck should be good for at least 250k to 350k miles. Does anyone out there have such a story of your truck running well with high mileage?

Also, I would like to install a cruise control in the truck, but it seems to be too old for dealers to have a kit. Has anyone tried to install an aftermarket cruise control in their truck? I'm also trying to find one on another truck in a junkyard, but I'm having a hard time because these trucks don't seem to die as early as so many other vehicles.

I look forward to reading your posts. Cheers!

- Paul
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    Hey Guy's...after 20 something years driving Ford's I am in my 2nd month of Tundra conversion. My '02 SR5 4X4 drives better than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I can even park it at Home Depot on Saturday without having to "analyze"
    the parking spot. Gotta love Toyota!
  • eng208eng208 Member Posts: 10
    Hello to all. My name is Chris and I am a Tacomaholic. I bought my Toyota August 2 in 1998. It is a 98 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6. It is the somewhat rare Cool Steel color. I have 35000 miles on it and have really enjoyed it so far. It has had headers and an aftermarket exhaust system (not too loud-just "throaty" sound)added along with a minor intake change. I have been a member over at another Tacoma web site since 1999 but have lost interest in that site as language has become increasingly foul as younger people have gotten involved. I would like for this club to mature into a great site to visit. I am truly fanatical about Toyota pickups and believe them to be the best in the world, especially the overseas models.
    Chris
    Somewhere in South GA.
    Awesome - glad to hear you enjoy your Tundra! Can't beat a Toyota truck and Home Depot, what a combination!

I'm about to make another GA to MA run tomorrow. Will have 136,750 on the odometer upon arrival. Amazing to know the truck WILL get there on time as scheduled, when you have to cross your fingers with most other vehicles that even make it to that mileage range. Oh what a feeling! I swear these things are as dependable as a Greyhound bus, if not even more so.

Enjoy your Tundra!!

- Paul_P
    Hi Chris and welcome to the forum,

I too am somewhat older depending on your perspective, and love my very simple 1993 2wd Toyota pickup. It has A/C and I added a factory clock, but I'm still trying to find a cruise control from a junkyard to add on to it. My other car is a 2000 Mercedes-Benz, but I love both equally for their superior engineering.

Great to hear that your Tacoma is holding up well after it's initial 35k miles. I'll be interested in hearing how your V6 continues to perform - please keep posting!

Thanks Chris & take care.

Paul_P, somewhere in North GA
  • hsalomonhsalomon Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Tundra since April of 2000 and love(ed?) it. Best driving, braking!!!, accelerating
    Truck I've ever been in. Had 26K miles on it, but unfortunately a van tried to get off on the shoulder, spun out of control and into me on the superhighway. Had I been driving my old old Chevy van, I might be dead; my current Chevy Tahoe and the passengers would be injured, but these were Toyota brakes and they saved lives. Problem now is that I have misgivings about a "repaired" anything, and I may-when the dust settles- be looking for a new one. What "deals" have any of you within 150 miles of Columbia SC come across?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Should come with the Subaru-Isuzu owners crew to a light off-road trip to the Pine Barrens of NJ. Check this thread out:

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=543bce2b2c716f667e19b432b656d056&threadid=130770

-mike

'00 Trooper

'88 XT6

'91 XT6

I don't know of anything near Columbia, SC but you may want to consider expanding your search to the Atlanta metro area. That's where I bought my '93 2wd on Yahoo classifieds. There are also plenty of new Toyota dealers here that might give you a better deal than those in SC, you may want to give them a call to see.

- Paul
  • mgm9991mgm9991 Member Posts: 3
    Hello -

I have a 2001 Dbl Cab Prerunner V6, love the truck, but don't necessarily agree with the manufactorer recommendation of towing with the O/D off. I'll be towing a Jetski, with a single trailor, maybe 1500lbs. This just doesn't seem right. I realize that if I'm going on a grade or uphill to take it out, but routine towing? Anyone have any thoughts??

Mike
    My only Toyota towing has been with my 5-speed '93 2wd basic Toyota pickup. I killed an automatic transmission once in a 1980 Pontiac Grand Prix by towing a trailer weighing about 3,000 lbs total. It was not smart - 15 years later and over 40 now, I know better.

I don't know the difference between O/D and not - could be some kind of lock-up torque converter installed that would be affected if you left it in O/D. To be safe I would follow the manufacturer's recommendation unless you hear otherwise from a reliable source.

You might want to check the trans. fluid after you tow to make sure it is not brown or burnt, and if so change it.

- Paul
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    Hi All,

My name is John and I live in the Los Angeles area. I'm a proud owner of a new '02 Tundra SR5 2WD. Just got it yesterday. It's the natural white exterior w/ light charcoal interior. I just love the V8 power and the music it sings. And the cab is the quietest I've had when driving on the freeway. So far, I love the truck. This is my first Toyota truck(although my wife has had a couple toyota cars in the past and they were pretty good cars).
  • fmealyfmealy Member Posts: 1
    I have had 4 4-Runners and 3 pick-ups starting with a 1980 (20R engine, 4-speed, 4WD). That one was purchased used with about 80K and I drove it to 200K. This truck was used for work (ladder racks and a cross bed tool box, fully loaded!!) It performed flawlessly. Paid $3000 sold it for $2000.

At the same time I also had a 1985 SR5 4-Runner. It was a 22R-E, 5-speed, 4WD. No A/C. Purchased this new. First one in NE Ohio. It got a lot of looks. This was the original SUV. Drove it well over 100K. Very harsh ride. Had leaf springs over a straight axle. Never had it aligned. Didn't wear out tires either.

Next I purchased a used 1986 4-Runner 22R-E, 5 speed, 4-WD. The 1986 had 60K on it and I drove it to 200K. Finally sold it and kept the 1985 4-Runner.

Sold the 1985 and replaced it with a 1995 4-Runner. Again 5-speed, 4WD. This time I got the 150 HP V-6. Didn't like this engine. No power; poor gas mileage. Sold it after 25K and purchased a 1998 4-Runner SR5 with the 4-cam V-6, 5-speed, 4WD. Love this 4-Runner. Dune color. Still have it. It has 45K on the clock and has never been back to the dealer for anything.

I also had a 1997 Tacoma, 150HP 4-cyl, 5-speed, 4WD. It was an extended cab with all the options. Loved this truck. Towed a 3000# boat all over with it. Never had a problem and still was getting almost 19MPG. Had 60K on the clock when I sold it.

I wanted the V-8 power so I purchased a 2002 Tundra SR5 4Wd. It's a Thunder Gray access cab. Got the off-road package with LSD, Like this truck so far. Haven't towed with it yet but I know it will have plenty of power. Installed a tonneau cover and probably won't do too much more to it. First truck with an auto. Supposed to be better for towing. I'll find out soon. It does do well off the road. I think I will like the transmission after I get used to it. I still have the 1998 4-Runner for when I feel like shifting gears.

The only items I replaced with these Toyotas were mufflers, brakes, tires and batteries. These components wear out regardless of the manufacturer. I have never had a major breakdown or any engine problems. I did replace the clutch in the 1985 and also the 1986. I change oil every 3-5K and use synthetic after 50K. I perform all my own maintenance when I need to do any.

I'll stay with Toyota until something better comes along. They may cost a little more initially but in the long run they are actually cheaper to operate. And fun to drive!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your experience. My 1993 just turned 142,000 miles the other day & runs fine. Good to know I will probably get at least another 100k out of it!

Looking to get a cruise control out of a junkyard, but these trucks last so long it may take forever to find one! :-)
    Did you recently purchase or lease your first full-size pick-up truck? If so, The Wall Street Journal is curious about your experience with it, especially if you traded in a car for the truck. Please send your story directly to jfallon@edmunds.com. Please include the model truck you drive, your city and state of residence, and your e-mail address.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    I own a 95 Toyota base model pickup. 279,000 miles and still running strong. Tranny rebuilt at 260k. Only thing broken is an air vent, a few things dented up, torn etc.

Only problem is it burns about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so, and I get a little engine knock from time to time. I guess all the miles have put some deposits in the cylinders and it has raised the compression.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    Had a 98 Xtracab SR5 V6 5-speed 4x4. Had all power, cd player, bucket seats. Had a 3" lift with 32" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, grill guard, roll bar with lights. Sold it early 2001 with 43,000 miles in perfect condition. Never had one problem with it. I regret getting rid of it, and I will be looking to buy a Tacoma later this year, or early next year if the 03 Tacoma is going to be re-designed.
  • mkstringmkstring Member Posts: 53
    Hi group! I sold my wife's 90 Buick Regal and found my 92' Xtra Cab V6 Pickup from an individual in 2001. She was the original owner, and kept great logs (and all receipts) of work on the truck. I bought it in 2/2001 with 53,000 miles on it (yeah, i know :) ) with the head gasket already replaced (an issue with the V6s i believe). Got it for a little over blue book (due to some new tires/shocks and an upgraded stereo). After a year, it just turned 66,000, and I haven't had any problems with it. Its 60,000 oil change was done with Mobil 1 Synthetic, and I'm changing oil and filter again this weekend (5/30).

I hope to be able to raise it up about 2-3", but current reports have the suspension kits for my 4x2 at about $1200 or so. Did Toyota drasticaly change the design of the front suspension in their trucks in 95 when they became Tacomas? I've seen a site with a shock absorber spacer for the front of a Tacoma that might work in mine. any ideas?

Also, anyone have preferences on rims for the older style of trucks. There durn hubcab covers keep popping off. I'd like to keep my 14" BFG AT TA's.

Thanks,
    Michael
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Hello, everybody! I own a 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 V8 with the AccessCab. It's Black on the outside and Tan on the interior. Very nice truck. It's my first truck, but my second Toyota (first was a Camry) and I have no troubles with the vehicle's size (even here in cramped Connecticut). Drives just like a car. Gotta hold myself back with the V8, though, especially comming from a 4-cylinder automatic Camry. It certainly puts a grin on my face everytime I get behind the wheel! :-) :-)

Since purchase, I have had the following accessories installed:
    -black tube steps (installed at Toyota dealer)
    -Toyota bedliner (already installed upon delivery)
    -Ventvisors (installed by yours truely)
    -Roll n Lock bedcover (installed by reputable pickup accessory shop)

As of today it only has about 2600 miles on it. Have had it since mid-October (still use aforementioned Camry as commute vehicle).

Will provide pictures soon!
  • bryanembryanem Member Posts: 3
    Hello, after reading 100's of posts, still having
    a hard time trying to evaluate the ride of TRD vs Non TRD. I have been unable to find a dealer with
    a D cab in stock without TRD so I can test drive
    for comparative purposes.

The TRD's I haven driven seem a bit bumpy and stiff, but other posts say non TRD's feel mushy and bouncy.

Is the TRD truck just a bouncier and stiff truck,
    or is this due to the TRD? (I am new to Toyota trucks)

Bottom line, would appreciate some guidance
    as to the pavement ride characteristics from someone who has driven both TRD and Non TRD 4WD Tacomas.

Thanks.
    I now have a Tundra SR5 V8 4X2. I traded my V6 Tundra in for it on 12-31-01. I enjoy having the back seat, but I comprised with now having the short bed.

It came with the following options:
    Captains Chairs
    CD Cassette
    Convenience Package w/Keyless Entry
    Fog Lights
    Bedliner

The things I transferred from other Tundra:
    Hitch
    7-plug wiring harness

My truck history:
    72 Landcruiser I-6 3-speed Manual
    93 Truck Regular Cab Standard Model 5-speed
    94 T100 Regular Cab Standard Model 5-speed
    00 Tundra Regular Cab V6 5 speed
    02 Tundra SR5 V8 4X2 Automatic
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    As far as suspension goes, the only difference between TRD and non-TRD is the Bilstein shocks. The ride is supposed to be stiff: I have absolutely no desire to bottom out and hit the skid plates on rocks when I am offroading.
    I don't remember how non-TRD felt when I testdrove it. But my TRD feels great on highway.
    As of 10 Apr 02 my 1993 Toyota 2wd pickup has 146,000 miles on it and is still going strong, and I'm about to take it down the east coast to Georgia for another trip. Nothing like it, I wish the people who designed the 22-RE 4cyl engine made everything else in my life!! Only problem in the last 25,000 miles has been a flat tire due to embedded nails.

Got all new hoses and will replace them, flush & refill with Toyota antifreeze - the red stuff, I believe - at 150k for good measure.
  • larrmlarrm Member Posts: 1
    We are seriously considering purchasing a new Toyota Tundra SR5 4 X 2; however, I would like a V-8 and my wife thinks a V-6 would be sufficient since the sale price would be less. What do you think?
    Had both. Go ahead and get the V8.
    Not much of a fuel penalty between the two and resale value would be much better than a V6. I've got the V8 and couldn't be happier.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Hello

thinking of purchasing a 2002 Tacoma 2WD 4-cyl reg. cab in a couple of months.

a few questions to clear up beforehand:

1. Are Toyota pickup trucks 100% japanese design and 100% japanese motors?

2. Where are Tacoma's assembled?

3. I heard a rumour that Toyota's have japanese engines but GM bodies.... is that true?

4. How does the 02 Tacoma compare with the 02 Nissan Frontier?
    Thanks!
    1. Design yes, motors mostly (some parts of the engine bay have Delco units)
    2. Freemont California
    3. No
    4. More HP, More Room, More Towing Capacity
    the tacoma has better resale value than the frontier. But the frontier has a deeper bed than the tacoma (I'm pretty sure).
  • higgy1higgy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello I'm new to the room. I just bought me a new Tacoma I like it very well.
  • higgy1higgy1 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to here about everybodys Tacoma that they bought.
  • shawn00shawn00 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My name is Shawn. I drive a 2000 Tacoma, 4X4, extended cab, 4 cyl, 5-speed, sr5 package. Currently have 26000 miles on it and love the truck. I've put on bug deflector, vent visors, tail light covers, tonneau cover, and nerf bars. My only dislike is the location of the clock. Check out my web site for pics of it: www.geocities.com/rat000

SHAWN
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I have a 2003 Tacoma. It is a 4x4 extended cab, silver, with V6, auto, TRD, sunroof, cruise, SR5 Color Key Pkg., hitch, and bucket seats. I expect I will have this truck for a long time.
  • kevinmhuynhkevinmhuynh Member Posts: 6
    Tundra,4X2, 4dr, V6 automatic...
    MSRP 22015...option package 2979 ..Total
    $25,504...Invoice with option total $22,703...True market value on Edmunds is $23,435. Right now with 2000 rebate...should I minus $2000 of $25,504 or minus $23,435???
    PLEASE give me some advice. Very appreciate it.
    How much should I offer ?
  • az_tundraaz_tundra Member Posts: 3
    Get the V8--much more power and torque for close to same gas mileage. The V8 is a great engine--I've driven Landcruisers in Africa with the same engine, 200,000+ miles and handn't seen a dealer since they were bought, still running strong.

Get the TRD. I drove 4x4 and 4x2 with and without TRD, couldn't tell much difference. The difference will pay off big time if you are on a rough road or really 4x4ing.

I plan to keep my truck for 20+ years. However, if you might sell it within 5-10 years, more options = better resale, especially private resale.
  • bamcobamco Member Posts: 1
    I found a 1998 Tacoma ext. cab that I am considering buying. It will be my third Toyota truck ('85 & '91).

The 98 is a one-owner (now deceased) being sold by the son. It is an SR5 with a four cylinder, 2WD, automatic (like my 91). It has about 14K miles on the odometer, and from the looks of it, that is accurate.

The worst thing about the truck is that it was owned by a smoker. (Any suggestions for getting that nasty smell out?)

I have looked without success for any notices about this year Tacoma. Anyone know of major or minor problems with 98 Tacomas?

Thanks--Jack
    Here are a few suggestions for removing smoking odor:

There are various products you can buy that will help. Fabreeze (found at most grocery/home stores), Nok-Out(http://www.nokout.com), Odo-Ban (Sam's Club and maybe Costco?) to name a few.

If you want to go the natural home remedy route, here are some suggestions:

Soak a rag with vanilla extract and place it under the seat.

Place a bowl of white vinegar in the truck (with all windows up) overnight, or for several nights, until the odor disappears.

Place an open bag of charcoal in the truck.

Cut up an apple, put it in a plastic cup and keep it in the truck till its shriveled.

Sprinkle the entire cab, including the upholstery with baking soda. Leave it for a couple of days, if possible. Vacuum it out.

Put unused dryer sheets under the seats.

Hope this helps!
  • lagitanelagitane Member Posts: 25
    Ok, I'm asking for feedback on a difficult problem. For those who have experiences with both, which would you prefer to drive provided the Dealer's final price was the same, both are extra cabs, (2 door in the Tundra), both with the same options (except that you can get an off-road pkg with the Pre-Runner, but alas not the V-6 Tundra (Why? I wonder). Anyway, having a struggle with this decision. I do alot of commuting, but like to take to the mountains on week-ends when I can. I live in SE AZ, and we do have some tall mountains here, believe it or not. (High Sonoran desert.) Need some power and decent traction. Dealer likely won't go for a trade to a Taco V-6, 4x4, or I'd do that in a heart beat. However,I'm like way upside down already with my trade.

Now, some of you will likely groan a this, but my trade is a recently purchased Tundra V-8, loaded w/TRD pkg, BUT gas is killing me (and high payments). I really screwed up. I miscalculated my budget by about $200 or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That is why I need to return it and try to trade it for either of the above mentioned vehicles before I start putting mileage on it. I'm pretty sick about this. I love this V-8. It is an exceptional truck, but don't think bankruptcy sounds like something I'd like to go through. Working a second job or eating rice and beans for the next 6 years is always an option, I suppose, but not very much fun. I am at the top of my salary ladder, so until they raise it, I'm kind of stuck.

Feedback needed ASAP and anything helpful you have to say will be much appreciated. I know, I know, didn't put much forethought into this purchase, but I'm under a lot of stress, and human, and I really messed up.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

While you cannot rewrite history, you will have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.
  • rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    I feel for you because I've been there. But I don't think any Toyota will provide a way out. It may sound like heresy, but you almost have to go to an S-10 or a Ranger to get a decent price on 4WD. I like the S-10, and I like the V6 engine in them. I almost bought a 2WD version before I decided on Tacoma. The big rebates are the magic.
    If you gotta have a Toyota, you might want to look at the 2.7L 4 cylinder 4WD. I know they don't have the power of a V8, but a friend has one that is 10 years old and still runs great. It has a lot of torque and gets him around quick. But this is Louisiana, and there ain't no hill.
    You have to sell the Tundra to an individual in order to get a good chunk of your money back. Forget trading it. Even the Toyota dealers will rip you off.
    If you sell the Tundra for a good price, maybe you could find an older Toyota 4WD for a decent price and get clear of the money morass. I have to believe that if you try to stay with a new Toy you will just get deeper.
    Anyway, my sympathies, and I hope you escape the mess because life is too short for that kind of stress.
    Hey, are you a Frenchy; me too?

Anyway, I know where to go to see what my truck may be worth, but never tried to sell a brand new truck before. Thought about putting an add in the Truck Trader to see if I could just get a couple of thousand down and have someone take over my loan, or something. This is a fully-loaded Access cab, V-8 4x2 with Limited Slip Differential. Has all the bells and whistles, even a towing pkg. Its Desert Tan, a really beautiful truck. I paid $22,800 for it; really stomped on the dealer. (Was able to take advantage of hard economic times.) Then with their add ons & BS, the total financed was $23K something. Not too bad. Got any suggestions as to where and how to market it. Not my field. I'm a counselor. Thought you may know of a web site or some other way to sell I'll ask around here also, but in the little burg I live in, they just ain't to swift about such things. This is Cochise County, rectum of Arizona. Ends right at the Mexican border. Good place for a drug counselor, but not for much of anything else. It is becoming a retirement mecca for rich, stressed out Phoenicians, Tucsonians, Southern Californians and retired military brass. Guess that is where I'd get the money. Not an easy bunch to reach however. Pretty clicky.

I was also considering refinancing this puppy for a lower interest rate so I could keep it. Was starting to research that; then I read the thing about the O2 sensors going out on a regular basis on V-8 Tundras after about 20K or more miles (not covered by warrantee after 36K miles). Scared me. Gotta get rid of it before then. At the rate this thing guzzles gas, I'll not be able to save for such expenses and it will back to credit card debt again. NO!!! When does this nightmare ever end. I should have kept my little old '94 I4,4x4, 22RE. Lots of regrets about letting that go. It's been all down hill since I traded it off. Still have dreams about it. Other than its size, and no power, really reliable truck.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Any advise you, or anyone else, may have is appreciated, and thanks for your support. Feels better just to know someone understands.

JL Montague
  • rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    I am about 1/16 French, but I don't feel like one. I sorta feel the 1/4 indian (that's "Native American" out there, I think) but all that other garbage in me is probably dominant. I have some English, and I'm proud of that and the indian. Talk about a mongrel.
    Anyway, you got an awesome deal on that truck, and I think you could sell it in a city pretty quick. You will still take a loss, but probably not too much.
    People here who live in the outlands advertise vehicles to be viewed on Saturday in town, but I don't know how well that works. You can advertise it in the nearest large town newspaper and make appointments to show it on the weekend.
    There is a big internet site that I tried once with no luck when I was in Wyoming. You've probably seen the ad on TV, but I don't remember the URL. However, you have a very desirable truck, and I did not when I tried it. People, rightly or wrongly, seem to be absolute suckers for used Toyotas.
    Cool. I am about 1/4 French (Dad's people were from Quebec), and about 1/16 French Canadian Indian; Montanais, we think, but not sure. Can't locate those old records, but my soul is Native, even do traditional Sioux sweat lodges; learned to do the songs & prayers in Sioux. Ran away to Canada once and lived in a tee-pee, trying to find my roots. I don't visually look Native, but my heart and soul are 100%. I think that is what counts.

Anyhow, so many people say how wonderful this Tundra V-8 is, and how great a deal I got on it. Gets confusing. I drive it and love it. Love the deep purr of that big V-8 engine. Love the power. Then I go to the pump and groan.

Just still riding the fence. Found out I can work crisis on week-ends. Oh Joy! Buy hey, it's $115 a pop for every call you take. Course, if I have to drive to other rural site, gonna rack up more miles, and there goes my week-ends. Still it's a way to survive. Still pretty spooked about what I'm hearing about trouble spots for Tundras. The Gas is bad enough, then you take into consideration the O2 sensor problem which is expensive and seems prevelent, even chronic over time, plus the problems people have with the brakes. I know all vehicles have their little quirks. Guess I just got spoied by my old '94 bullet-proof 4x4 Toyo truck with the 22RE, I4. I didn't have one single problem with that truck until things started wearing out at about 135K miles. But the ride was gruesome. Rattled all the fillings loose from my teeth. Gotta remember that too.

Hard call. Gotta think on this for awhile. Even if I do sell or trade this thing, I don't like any of the alternatives out there. Don't like Rangers or S-10's. Silverados have lotsa problems too. Liked the Ford F150's, but couldn't afford a 4x4 new, and would have a hard time trusting a used 4x4 'cause I know how people drive them. Would give my eye teeth for a V-6 4x4 4-Runner. Right, dream on.

Anyway, thanks for your help. If you hear of anything else that may help, let me know. I'll keep you posted. (Oh, know of any way to figure what to ask for this machine. I can't find anything to calculate what I could get out of it on the used truck sites. Everything starts at 2002. Know I'm gonna lose some cash, but would be nice to see what I can get.)

Mitakuyasin (we are all one)
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    nice, but it could use a wheel alignment. Body looks very well maintained, and it has some nice chrome wheels.

Im having a hard time deciding if I shoud make an offer on such an old truck. Ive owned Toyotas before, and they can last for 150K+ miles with no major problems.

I did a Carfax on it, and the first time the odometer was recorded was at 32k miles in 1998. The report states it had one owner, originally in New York. The dealer is in New Orleans, and he said he bought the truck in an auction in Memphis, TN. According to Carfax report, that was in Nov. 2002.

He is asking $6,990. The NADA price is $6,427, KBB is $6,875, and the Edumunds TMV is $5,694.

If you have ANY comments/suggestions, please post them. Thanks
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Last November, I bought a 1996 Tacoma V6 2wd. It just turned over 100,000 miles last weekend and I have no regrets. It looks and runs like new and gets 25 mpg on the highway.

I did spend $1,200 on it shortly after I bought it for it's 90,000 mile service. That included replacing the timing belt, all fluids and filters, and a brake job. I fully expect to get at least another 100,000 miles of reliable service out of it... maybe more.

-james
    You should, James. My 1993 just turned 181,000 yesterday. Less than $1,000 in repairs since I bought it at 101,000 miles and that includes a clutch which wasn't really needed (mis-diagnosed).

- Paul
  • rexallen13rexallen13 Member Posts: 8
    I haven't posted on this site before. I just purchased a Tundra 2003 ext cab 4X4 Off Road. I love my new truck. I traded a Sienna 2001 for it.
    I am getting close to my retirement and wanted something to put a Collapsable Camper on it. I go off road alot and missed my truck. My wife also has a 2002 Camry.
      I had never owned a Toyota before I purchased the Sienna and I was very happy with the vehicle. I found that the build quality and the performance were greater than any Domectic Auto.
    I am leaving for a hunting trip to Montana tommorow and I will let you know how it handled off road as much of this hunt is on "COW TRAILS".
      I got a very good deal on my Tundra and my experience with "CARLSON TOYOTA" in Anoka Minnesota is "THE BEST" I've had in 40 years of buying cars.
    Greg
  • rexallen13rexallen13 Member Posts: 8
    I just got back from my trip to Montana. I am quite happy with the handling of my truck off road. I put it through some paces that would have given some people "WHITE KNUCKLES". It performed all very well. I ended up pulling a Chevy out of a backroad when he tore the axle out of his vehicle. He was pretty happy I came along. I averaged about 16 miles per gallon on the trip and am very happy with that. When you buy a truck "GAS MILEAGE" is not something you expect to be very good.
      I also had to pull my buddies Ford to get it started. It would not turn over and he has a stick so the pull got him going.
      Didn't run into any Dodge's.
  • jerry86jerry86 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking about buying a new 2004 Tacoma ExtraCab 6 Cyliner 4WD Pickup. I've been driving a F250 Diesel since 1990 and am looking forward to something smaller. My questions are, what kind of mileage should I get and how are these vehicles for towing a small (17 ft) trailer.
  • touctouc Member Posts: 28
    Jerry, I think they are coming out with a Taco this summer with stronger engine (same hp's as Tundra?) Not sure what that will do to mpg's, but this is supposed to be a leadup to making Tacos "mid-sized", and then Tundra a true 3/4 ton.
This discussion has been closed.