Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "Everyone time I see one, I'm like "Beep beep mister", because I get really excited."

I'm happy that does it for you. ;)
  • Options
    grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    I went to test drive a 6S today. I noticed that every Mazda on the lot had rusty brakes...the disc I believe... That can't be normal, can it?

Other than that the test drive went great. I didn't get to take it on a highway, but loved it!
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I also noticed my brake disc plates look rusty after car was not driven for a couple of days. They are gone when car was driven again. I believe they are the 'metallic' brake pad dust got rusty on the surface of disc, actually it's not the disc got rusted.
  • Options
    accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    I checked out the inventory at my local Mazda dealership and noticed some changes. The gas mileage quoted on the window sticker was reduced by 1 mpg. That's 28 highway for the i, 26 for the s. I also saw a non-sport 6 WITH leather. According to Mazda's website, it's not possible to get leather without the sport package. Just goes to show you can't rely on the "build your own" feature to know what you can really have.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    The rotors are made from steel. Of course they are going to get a little surface rust sitting unused. It's totally normal. It comes off when you drive.
  • Options
    Disc brake rotors will rust on ANY car if they sit around for a few days. It doesn't have anything to do with the type of brake pads on the car.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "According to Mazda's website its not possible to get leather without the sport package".

It seems like Mazda loves putting option package combo's that don't even match. I think its nuts. What does leather have to do with a sport package anyway? I'm not surprised though its Mazda we are talking about here. Mazda always likes to throw a bone in every model it makes it seems.
  • Options
    See what I don't understand is most of the Mazda 6's younger buyers want a sport package. The younger buyers are not going to want leather with the sport package in my opinion. I think if Mazda goes through with this specific option package combo it is a recipe to lose alot of sales.
  • Options
    livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    leather without the sport package, and vice versa. Beige and gray (and, of course, black) leather options have been available for non-sport 6's since day 1; so has a cloth seats option for the sport package.

Mazda's web site and options packages are admittedly bizarre, but the site allowed me to build a non-sport Sepang Green/beige leather car in June of last year. Perhaps you're trying to build a car with a different option, like Bose or side air bags, that the site only allows on sport package cars?

CL
  • Options
    grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the answers on the brake rust. I'm going to keep my eye out to see if I can see other non-Mazdas with this...

I think I may get a 6s manual...problem, I don't drive stick. I've driven my girlfriend's VW Bug manual twice recently and done pretty well with it. I guess my question is, is the 6s particulary tough to learn stick on? Is it quirky? Forgiving?
    Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    pazakpazak Member Posts: 16
    Nuthin' unusual about the 6 stick. It's a little bit notchy, but it shifts and engages easily. Had mine two weeks now and I ain't "crunched" a gear yet!
        You'll have it mastered in no time at all. The manny is quicker than the auto off the launchpad but after that they seem pretty equal. A stick is the fun way to drive a car. Your fully involved in the vehicles operation. And when you combine the beautiful sound of the motor revvin' and the exhaust a growlin', it's a sweet, sweet place to be.
        The only down side comes if you live in a big city. I've driven stick for 14 of the past 18 years in one of the biggest cities in the U.S. The constant and redundant shifting caused by bumper to bumper traffic can get aggravating, but it's just a small consolation.
  • Options
    thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    Put on my 6s in 7 months, average of about 1,400 a month. Still silky smooth, still a hoot to drive. No rust stains, no fuel smell. However, I have to take it in the dealer just to be on the safe side. I'm getting about 350 miles a tank in mix driving. What I like about it best: merging into highway traffic using th emanumatic feature, shifting only at redline, with the stereo off (to appreciate the growl). Before I know it, I'm going 80! Worst thing about it: brake dust. (Second worst: wide turning circle). Can't wait to take it on a long trip, to see what the driving range can truly be (probably 400 miles).

Overall: a solid :) A+

(zoom zoom, anyone?)

vudini
  • Options
    dondiliodondilio Member Posts: 56
    Ive noticed that on most new cars you can see more brake dust than what I was used to in older cars. BMWs are famous for brake dust.
    I also own a 2002 Ford Explorer and I get a lot brake dust too. Ive seen a lot of new Expeditions,
    Volvos and a couple of Toyotas ans Hondas with brake dust. It looks that new brake pads are using a different material or softer pads. I have 32k on the Explorer and still have about 50% left of the pad. I do a lot of city driving.
  • Options
    accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    "Beige and gray (and, of course, black) leather options have been available for non-sport 6's since day 1."

That was true for the 03 models, but apparently not for the 04's. If you go to the build a car section on the website and select leather, you will automatically get the sport package selected as well. I then find it amusing to see leather in non-sport models in my local dealers lot, as the website indicates that configuration is not possible.
  • Options
    cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Can't imagine how this could be. I too thought it was only possible on the '03s. But look again. What you might have been seeing was the sport pak without spoiler, which you can get in both i and s configurations. If on second look you don't see side sills, then you are right--and I am amazed. Or maybe dealers can put in their own leather as aftermarket? Perhaps AudiA8q could comment.
  • Options
    livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    then I'm glad I purchased an '03 as I wanted leather but not the sport package. I bet it's a problem with the web site. Hopefully audia8 will enlighten us.

CL
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    as of right now...You can get an 'i' model with leather and no sport package with an auto trans. The 'i' model with a stick and leather requires the sport pkg...if you want any version of the 's' model the sport pkg is required to get leather. If you live on a street that begins with a "Q" and it's snowing in Miami on july 7th you can get a 's' model with ......this is subject to change at any minute.

come on guys....you couldnt figure that out on your own??? lol
  • Options
    Think of it this way. Technically, the Mazda6 has options. In reality, there are specific combinations of options that they allow to be built at any given time. This is in effect very similar to the way Honda markets the Accord, with it's DX/LX/EX/EXL trims, even though Mazda lets you believe it's not. For example, the last info I got (from Rich) for the 5-door shows 7 combos for each of the 4 drivetrains (2.3/AT, 2.3/MT, 3.0/AT, 3.0/MT). So, there are a total of 28 buildable combos for the 5-door. If you went to the Mazda web site and built every possible variation, you would find the combos the hard way. The Mazda method has a marketing advantage over the way Honda does it, in that Mazda can change the buildable combos during the year and Honda only does it once a year when they decide what goes in each trim level.

I actually think it would be better if Mazda would just publish the buildable combos and let you choose the one that best fits what you want. I think this would be preferable to letting people think that there are really "stand-alone" options, only to find that there are some apparently illogical option dependencies when you try to build what you want on the Mazda web site.

For 03, I believe the buildable combos changed a few times during the build run. For 04, I suspect that Mazda marketing analysts know enough about what sells (and what sits on the lots) that they will not make as many changes as last year.
  • Options
    I would like a 5-door/s/MT (cloth seats) with just SAB/SAC and Bose packages. I now know that the closest I can get to this is the SAB/SAC+Bose+Moonroof combo. Rather than get frustrated and wasting time using Mazda's "build your own" feature trying to find some magical way to get exactly what I want by picking individual option packages (and getting irritated at the pop-ups), I look at the list of buildable combos and instantly see that the only way I can get what I want is to take the moonroof too. I can of course then use the web site build feature to confirm this.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Don't you have to get the sport pkg too? I thought it was SAB/SAC+Bose+Moonroof+Sport Pkg. I've never seen one on a lot without the sport pkg and with SAB/SAC.

I'm going by the S-Plan price sheet which is dated 10/17/2003 so it may have changed since then.
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct, but this is because the Sport Package is currently standard (or a required option if you prefer to think of it that way) on the 5-door. It's a little more complicated on the sedan.

If you're shopping the sedan or wagon my example of the 5-door's 28 combos does not apply.
  • Options
    like where Mazda is getting these option combo's from. You can leather on this package but not on this trim without the sport package. Their option packages sound all over the place. Here's what it should be like:

SAB/SAC and ABS

Bose

Sport Package w/the choice of lip or wing spolier

Moonroof

To me this option packaging makes it simple.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't notice you were referring to the 5-door.

I have to wonder why they made the sport package standard on the 5-door. It seems to be a more family oriented model yet they are automatically "flashing" it up. Taking the wing off would seem to be a better choice.
  • Options
    The 5-door is "sportier" looking IMO, so the standard Sport Package seems to be appropriate. I would think a family-oriented buyer would just go for the wagon, but then they would have to take the V6, at least for now.

I'm trying to imagine how the 5-door would look without the spoiler. I'm not gettin a good visual on it.
  • Options
    rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    imagine how the 5-door would look without the spoiler, imagine no more.

http://www.mazda6club.com/gallery/albums/userpics/yellow7.jpg
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    i would think it's a bad idea, with a 4 cyl in the much heavier wagon body will really slow down the car quite a bit (especially with the extra cargo space the wagon offers, can you imagine driving the i4 while hauling a TV home from Best Buy?) and make it not as zoom-zoom worthy as the v6.

I like Mazda's decision to not offer the i4 for the wagon.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "with a 4 cyl in the much heavier wagon body will really slow down the car quite a bit"

The thing is, the wagon body isn't that much heavier. If Mazda was so concerned about the 6 being slow, they shouldn't offer the 4 cyl with an automatic either. I'll bet money that if Mazda made the wagon with a 4 cyl and if it was manual, it would beat an automatic 4 cyl sedan.
  • Options
    how many people (no count yourself ) are going to buy a 4 cyl, manual, mid size, 3200+ lb. station wagon, come on be for real i doubt mazda is going to sale many V6s with manuals on the wagon.

and my money is on the auto sedan if both cars are loaded down with 5 passages and cargo.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Manual wagons are as rare as 1960 Edsels. Dealers would probably want you to pay the full cost of the car if you try to order one. Lest they be stuck with one on the lot for over a year.
  • Options
    "and my money is on the auto sedan if both cars are loaded down with 5 passages and cargo."

Why would the automatic sedan be faster only if they were both loaded down?
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would only consider the wagon, and would only consider the 4-cyl manual tranny. And the wagon is not significantly heavier than the sedan or hatch - less than 100 lbs. Look at A-4, Passat Jetta, SAAB, if you want to see 3,000+ lb 4 cylinder wagons with manual trannys. BTW the 4-cyl is just as powerful as the 2.5 v-6 that was in the 626. Also the 4-cyl has a better power to weight than the MPV with the 200 hp v-6, and the MPV carries much more cargo/people.

Lets keep things in perspective. The 4-cyl has plenty of power, and can go plenty fast (well over 120 mph). The wagon configuration does not change that.

Also there will be no situation where the automatic sedan would outperform the manual wagon in acceleration - given similar circumstances.
  • Options
    "Also there will be no situation where the automatic sedan would outperform the manual wagon in acceleration - given similar circumstances."

Actually, there is. In traffic, where some unanticipated, immediate acceleration is needed, a good AT can downshift faster than the MT driver can. Though my next car will be a MT, this is one area where the AT has an advantage over the MT. Of course, if you drive the MT around in a lower gear and keep the RPMs up, the MT will give you the acceleration sooner becuase you don't have to downshift at all. :)
  • Options
    I have never driven an automatic that could shift as fast as a manual in a situation like that, but I will concede there are situations where you need to make two shifts (you down shift once, but it is not quite enough so you need to do it again). Speaking of anticipation - that is another big advantage of the manual (behind better acceleration and feul economy) for me. An automatic tranny can only be reactive, but a manual can be proactive - as the driver can see what is ahead and be in the right gear just as it is needed with no delay at all.
  • Options
    "Why would the automatic sedan be faster only if they were both loaded down?" cause there is more cargo room in a wagon, so a loaded down wagon(33.7 cu. ft. ) weights more than a loaded down sedan(15.2 cu. ft). simply put you can and will pack more stuff in the wagon. i didn't say equal loads.

"Look at A-4, Passat Jetta, SAAB, if you want to see 3,000+ lb 4 cylinder wagons with manual trannys" and they all cost more than the 6 wagon with a v6.

i don't see the big deal a v6 in the 6 wagon if you want a 4cyl check out the 3 hatch.
  • Options
    Yeah, my current AT never seems to know what I intend to do next. ;)
  • Options
    "cause there is more cargo room in a wagon, so a loaded down wagon(33.7 cu. ft. ) weights more than a loaded down sedan(15.2 cu. ft). simply put you can and will pack more stuff in the wagon. i didn't say equal loads."

Well, duh. Load the 6 wagon up with cinder blocks and it's gonna be a little slower. I'll bet if the sedan was towing a boat, the 6 wagon would win...lol.

"i don't see the big deal a v6 in the 6 wagon if you want a 4cyl check out the 3 hatch."

Nobody has anything against the V6 wagon, some people just wish that the 4 cyl was available also. I don't see why people are making a big deal about the 4 cyl in the wagon. It's not like the wagon weights 1000 lbs more. Geez, people drive around in 4 cyl Caravans, the 6 wagon would do perfectly fine with the 4 cyl.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Just like I'd be happy with an "i" version of the 3 hatch, if they changed a couple other things as well.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I'm glad to see that many others have noticed the idiotic option packaging that Mazda is foisting on their buyers of the MZ6. Unfortunately I cannot live with being forced into a moonroof because I want leather and SAB/SAC. I don't much care about the Sport package one way or the other, but my cranium cannot live with the moonroof and I absolutely want the leather and SAB/SAC. Even though the best car I ever owned was a Mazda MX-6, I must take my business elswhere.. At least until Mazda restructures their option packaging to something that makes sense.
  • Options
    I guess I can understand how people don't like the way Mazda does it, but if you want factory leather in an Accord, you're getting a moonroof also.

Keep in mind that no matter how Mazda does their option packages, SOMEBODY will always think it's "idiotic". Sure, people in here can suggest a way that they think is better, but it's never going to please everyone. The more possible options combinations there are, the more the car will cost on average, because it costs more money to manufacture cars with many different configurations.
  • Options
    Offering the ability to custom order the exact options one want would be an excellent way for Mazda to stand out from Honda and Toyota. It is done by most car makers in Europe, so it is not like it is a new concept.

They could build the most popular models, and for a small charge would allow a custom order. I would think with the custom import craze this would be popular.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Cannot be compared to the U.S. There are many difference forces at work there. Taxes, fuel, insurance, parking, and expendable income are totally different in other countries.

Considering the highest number of this type of car (four door family sedan) sold is the 4 cyl. auto mid equipment level, it doesn't make sense to create a "custom order" program. Not even the mid-lux are totally a-la-carte on the options form.
  • Options
    Are there any comparable cars that can be had with leather but no moonroof? I checked Accord (no), Altima (no), Passat (no), and camry (yes). Any others?
  • Options
    cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    Anyone in the Baltimore area, if you are looking for a Mazda, Russel Mazda is it. The people were friendly and my parents and I just loved the experience.
  • Options
    I checked the Taurus/Sable, Galant, and Sonata.

The Taurus/Sable can be had with leather minus the moonroof. Although Ford requires you to opt for the 60/40 folding rear seat to get the leather and Merc requires a couple of small options as well. Pretty much everything else is a la carte though. Including SAB/SAC.

The Galant requires a moonroof with the leather too.

The Sonata can be had with leather minus the moonroof on the LX trim. Hyundai's packaging is actually quite nice. I never noticed that before.

Let's not forget about the Mazda3 which can be bought with leather and no moonroof.
  • Options
    And I've heard you can actually get leather that's better than the factory stuff.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    that I have been looking at offer leather and SAB/SAC without requiring a moonroof; the Maxima and the new Chrysler 300. They both are just a few dollars more comparably equipped and offer more space and more headroom.

Requiring purchase of convenience or luxury items in order to get safety options may not be "idiotic", but it certainly makes no logical sense: and it is greedy!
  • Options
    I guess you're going to have to start a new comparo thread then....

Maxima vs. Chrysler 300 vs. Ford Taurus....

but the Chrysler and Ford don't offer manuals and the Maxima costs more and looks like a hippopotumus.

See? We can't all win.
  • Options
    likaglovlikaglov Member Posts: 82
    I'm still adjusting to the AT in my Madza6s, it's been a couple of weeks, and I've been driving a MT for 12 years. It seems odd to me that the AT always goes to 5th gear, even if I'm only going 35-40 MPH. Once I stop accelerating (or push lightly on the pedal) it goes to 5th, with fairly low RPMs. Is this common for ATs? If I floor the accelerator, it downshifts for me, but I keep grabbing the manualmatic and doing it myself. If I'm driving in a 35 MPH zone, I'd rather be in 4th (or 3rd) so that I get instant response instead of waiting for it to decide to downshift. Is this just the "proactive" driving of a MT as described above?

Thanks for your responses. I do LOVE the car. Can't wait to get through break-in :-)
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    the 300 is RWD
  • Options
    forgot the new 300 was RWD. IMO, none of those cars are appealing. The Taurus looks OK, but it's a Taurus, and the new 300 and Maxima are just plain goofy.

Goofy or gorgeous? Obviously, I chose gorgeous with no SAB or leather.