Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current pickup truck trends

Comments

• I had a 6 foot bed once on a 93 Toyota Truck. Now that I have had an 8 foot bed since 94, I could not see going back.
  • moparmadmoparmad Posts: 197
    And eat it too. The truck I drive everyday is a 2001 1/2 ton shortbed 4X4 regular cab Ram,for times of seriousness I have a '76 crewcab big block,full time 4X4,flatbed Powerwagon.
    One neat trick my old boss found,was a ladder rack on a shortbed Ranger. It handled 16' lumber with ease and was much easier to reach than the ladder rack on his 4X4 F250.

As far as new trends in trucks,don't get me started,most of them suck as far as I'm concerned. What happened to trucks being judged by payload,towing capacity,and toughness. Now it's quarter mile times and cup holders. Why would anyone buying a big block gas engine really care about gas mileage,it is either going to suck,or REALLY suck. If your towing cross country you would be crazy not to buy a diesel anyway. But I guess that is what happens when the breed becomes popular...indescriminate breeding.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    like me. Bought my first pickup in 1980 about the time more people started buying trucks as second "cars". I want a pickup that rides like a car and has good power and just enough of a bed for the occasional weekend chores. Hey that sounds like a TUNDRA! I shoulda bought a Toyota.
  • yeah but if you live in texas you probably would have gotten lynched for driving an inferior toyota. I'd stay with the silverados
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,751
    Things aren't like they used to be. I am one of those that sold my Big truck when I figured Gas was getting just too expensive. I went for about 9 months or maybe closer to a year with out a Pickup. I bought a small 4 door sedan for work and the weekend trips because it was easier for friends and relatives to get in and out of. I got a small Coupe to leave at home for my wife to run errands. I live in the mountains where there is always something to haul to the dump or pick up at the hardware store or garden shop. I couldn't take it any longer and so I went out and bought another pickup. I didn't need a crew cab because I had two other cars and for the first time in my life I looked at short beds. I ended up with a B series Mazda-Ranger. It seems bigger than the old mini trucks I have had. A Toyota SR-5, a Ford Courier, and a Dodge D-50-Mitsubishi. And of course has less room than my old Dodge full sized ½ Ton or even my Dakota longbed. But it seems to meet my needs. I think the new trends in trucks are leaning towards trying to make a compromise vehicle. If the SUV craze is winding down, sales don't prove that yet, maybe this is the next wave. I don't care for the short bed SUV pickup truck combos but that is personal taste. Just like the fact that I don't care for the Mad Max look of the Nissan. Diesels are an iffy proposition for many manufacturers because they are afraid of the stricter pollutant standards expected in the US over the next few years. Look at California and its attempt to restrict diesel school busses. I have said all that just to point out that the new truck trend may be just that, a trend. But even if it last there will always be a need for a standard truck because there are people that don't see a truck as a replacement for the family sedan, but only see it as a supplement.
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    I agree 100% with your analogy of "indiscriminate breeding." that's exactly what happens anytime something becomes overly popular. (like the golden retriever. a fabulous dog that has been virtually destroyed by careless breeding)
    kinda the same thing with SUV's. their popularity has killed classic designs like the cherokee, or the original '91-'94 explorer. now they are nothing more than big ugly station wagons with 4wd.
  • hunter98hunter98 Posts: 273
    I can agree and disagree about the Golden Retriever, I am on my second one, and they were both wonderful dogs. The first one did die as a ten year old with bad hips and arthritus though. But his personalaty, temperment, loyalty and appearance was wonderful.

Hunter
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    We've got a 5-year old female Golden. What a great pet!

Oops! This topic is about trucks...

Bob
  • GM is pushing the E85 ethanol 5.3L on their big SUVs, and it's available on pickups. Gas mileage is worse, but I would think they could improve on that in the future. If we can get farmers to use it in their farm machinery, we could eventually be energy independent - maybe an exporter. Farm production is still better in the US than anywhere else in the world - and getting better every day.
    I cover both sides of the dog spectrum...I got a yellow lab and a Rhodesian Ridgeback. One super popular and bred by back yard entrepreneurs everywhere,and one never heard of by most folks.
  • Both my shitzu and siberian huskies are very loyal and have a perfect temperment.

The huskies love to ride in the truck. I have a kennel for each of them (two).
  • remember this:

Toyota only RECENTLY jumped into the market CREATED by your beloved GMC and Ford: Yuppie Trucks.

I really laugh everytime I hear you guys gripe and moan and cry when you talk about new pick-ups, then try to conveniently blame Toyota for all your woes. The Tundra was introduced in 1999, I believe. What was there before 1999? $30K-$60K pickups/SUVs with leather, push-button 4WD, climate control, traction control, navigation systems, cell-phone jacks, heated seats, separate air-conditioner/heater controls, ETC!!! Who made these yuppie-mobiles? GMC and Ford! Cadillac Escalade, Eddie Bauer Edition Expeditions and Excursions, loaded GMC/Ford trucks so plush they would never be worked, etc.

Yes, GMC and Ford truly paved the way for Toyota with the yuppie SUV/truck market. Now even BMW and Mercedes has jumped on the SUV bandwagon in America!

Funny how you guys scoff at the shiny Toyota 4Runner next to you, but don't see the Cadillac Escalade on your other side.

Ignorance and stupidity...
    Is that Greek for bitter,irate Toyota owner? Easy man. I don't like Toyotas anymore than you like Dodge Rams,and thats okay,differing opinions are what makes the world go round. If you are as happy with your Toyota as I am with my Ram then I am happy for you. I realize that the Ram isn't everyones cup of tea,and you must realize that the Tundra is also not everyones cup of tea. Most people expressing their opinions on here are not trying to attack you personally,those that are are best dealt with by simply ignoring them.
    Have a Peaceful and happy holiday.
  • Differing opinions are good, as long as they are based on FACTS and not ignorance. I'm sorry, but anybody who blaims the current truck trend entirely on Toyoa, while ignoring the same things GMC and Ford are "guilty" of, is ignorant.
  • oldharryoldharry Posts: 413
    This topic started with someone saying that 8 foot bed standard cabs and 6 1/2 foot ext cabs were the only choice when he first entered the market. ??? My first truck was a short bed Ford, 1954 to be exact. That was a long time before Dodge brought out the first "Club Cab" and started the ext cab craze. I also had a short bed Chevy, 1970, and now have a ext cab Chevy with the 6 1/2 foot box. It will carry 4X8 sheets of plywood, drywall or whatever with the gate down, and my son has a 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot box if I need it. The times that my short box trucks were not adequate, however, have always needed more than a pickup. Farmer friends with grain trucks fill that need nicely.

The smelly garbage post above is the best reason I have seen for the less than five foot boxes.

Harry
  • What are your thoughts on those Ford Sport Tracs and Chevy S-10 Quad-cabs with the mini-box? What's the best reason for THOSE mini-boxes?
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    I was commenting on the availability of styles of trucks at the beginning of the topic. Personally I like extented cab trucks with the 8' bed, the problem I found is that most trucks that are sold nowadays are short box ex cabs. When I was growing up most trucks that were bought were reg cab long boxes, then there was the ex cabs, crew cabs and short boxes that were available but hard to find. I guess my opinion is you can never have enough bed space.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,241
    Uncle has a 60ish International pickup with an 11' bed. Has about 8 leaf springs and he hauls cows in the back. He thinks my Ram with cummins is a waste of money. Oh well, I enjoy air conditioning and not having my teeth rattled out of my head. But that's one strong truck, I'll give him that.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    Well, there are many advantages to extended cab, shortbed trucks:

1. You can parallel park them. Have you ever tried to parallel park a longbed, extended or Crew cab pickup?

2. You can drive them in parking decks. Most longbed, extended cab pickups cannot maneuver through the typical parking decks.

3. You can do a U-turn. Ever try to do one in an extended cab longbed?

4. You can fit a shortbed in just about any garage. Have you tried to park an extended cab long bed in a regular garage?

5. You can park just about anywhere. With an extended cab, longbed - you must carefully choose where you park.

As far as carrying long items goes - most items which won't fit in a shortbed will not fit in a longbed either - that extra foot and a half does not buy you much.

Most people who drive pickups drive them empty most of the time and have to drive in cities. The extended cab longbed pickup is not very friendly in most cities.

It all boils down to you have to choose your compromises. If you want to drive in any populated areas (and park) - extended cab longbeds are too much of a compromise.
  • Lincoln Blackwood fits the Chevy and Ford boys' definition if a completely useless yuppie-truck to a "T."

But you'll never hear them mention a word about the Lincoln Blackwood. All their energies are ignorantly focused on Toyotas.
This discussion has been closed.