Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford 2.9 V-6 Head gasket? Any known problems with these engines.

bidandsellbidandsell Member Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a 2.9 with a blown head gasket and was wondering if this was a common problem. Thanks all.
bidandsell

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Isn't that a Mazda engine in your Ranger? I don't think there's a problem. You might check on the Edmunds Home Page and click under "ownership". There are links there to finding out about recalls and TBS bulletins.

How many miles on this engine?
  • Options
  • Options
    143K? Well, then I don't think there's any complaint. The engine's life is mostly over at that point. Be thankful you got that far.
  • Options
    Just like getting more miles out of one. Will probably put a set of head gaskets on it and keep going.
  • Options
    Oh, okay. I thought you were looking for some kind of "hidden warranty". Many people are fishing for that these days. Sorry I misinterpreted your post.
  • Options
    whyzanflutwhyzanflut Member Posts: 1
    It well known the 2.9L V-6 engine has a problem with the cylinder heads cracking, not head gasket problems. It is a Cologne, Germany engine and you just don't see many with over 130k miles.
  • Options
    it was the freeze plug on the back of the head. Thanks for the info whyzan.
  • Options
    Hold it, you aren't done yet. If one freeze plug is corroding, you should inspect the others for rust or corrosion. In this way, you could head off a problem.
  • Options
    its sold!
This discussion has been closed.