Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Accessories and Modifications

gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
edited October 2014 in Ford
here into modifications.Ok I will be the first. I have K&N airfilter, GTS Blackouts, Steelhorse Billet grille, 6 CD Changer, Chrome Exhaust tip, and thats about it. My homepage is at http://members.tripod.com/amrant007/index.htm. Lets see what you guys have? If you are interested in parts check out http://www.jcwhitney.com They seem to have thelowest prices on products that are high in demand. My next mod will probably be a TV.

Comments

• jetcam2jetcam2 Member Posts: 3
    Help, I have a 2002 Expy XLT. and was wondering if it is pre wired from the factory for the rear subwoofer. My friend replaced is stock sub for a 10" model and said i can have the stock one. I know it fits right in the rear trim panel. Hope someone can help. email me with the response. jetcam2@optonline.net
  • jptjpt Member Posts: 7
    I would also be interested in this so if anyone has this info, please post it here. Is adding a subwoofer something a mechanically inclined person could do at home? What all needs to be added to what's already in the XLT (eg. amp, woofer, panel, etc) to make this work?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    jpt - if you are not starting out with the free sub like the previous poster, go the Crutchfield site or catalog, they sell a sub specifically for the storage area in the rear of the Expedition. If it is like all other Crutchfield stuff you buy, it will come with flawless, vehicle specific directions that are very clear and easy to follow. I have never been disatisfied with their stuff.
  • bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    I want to add a bug deflector to my Expedition, but I have a few questions. To those of you who have owned your Expy without one, did it help to install one, or was it a waste? I know vehicle aerodynamics play a part in the effectiveness, so do they work on Expeditions? If so, what brand fits well without drilling or rubbing the paint off of the hood or grille? I saw a Lund on one, and it rubbed the top of the grille. I prefer bugs to rust or worn paint, so I want to buy one that fits well and works, regardless of cost. Thanks for any input.
  • shand32783shand32783 Member Posts: 76
    I have a factory one installed. Painted to match. Looks sharp. I would let the professionals do it if your not worried about cost. They have these things called Bump ons. The put them on your hood. So when you have wind force instead of the Bug guard hitting the hood it touches the bump ons. Saves the paint that way. Let me know if we can help any more.
    Shane
    I can do the installation and paintwork, but I prefer a brand that doesn't require drilling screw holes. Do you mean yours was dealer ordered and installed? Does it have a brand name on it? Also, do you find it prevents bug splatter on your windshield, or did you get yours mostly for paint protection?Thanks for your input.
    Has anyone put one of these in their Expy's or Suv's?What did you pay? What type of increase in HP and tourqe did you get? Any other modifications that helped out. i'm looking at Superchip or Diablo chip. Please Help.
    Thanks
    Shane
  • bbmdbbmd Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 L V8, 17 inch wheels, and the 3.55 axle ratio. I would like to increase the truck's towing capabilities. The Ford information I have indicates that having the 3.73 axle ratio can increase the capability by 400-500 lbs and having 16 inch tires can increase it by another 500 lbs. My question: Can the truck's axle ratio or wheel/tire size be modified like this aftermarket? Would it be a huge job that would put my truck at risk of problems? Would the speedometer have to be recalibrated? Would I need new tire rims? Would either job likely be prohibitively expensive? If it was possible to do either, who does this sort of work- a Ford mechanic at a dealership? a transmission guy? some specialty shop? Any help someone can give to these questions would be greatly appreciated?
  • mentor34mentor34 Member Posts: 60
    We are interested in installing a third seat in our '98 Expedition. It has rear air. We don't know if adding a third seat is even feasible. Any info would be greatly appreciated. You can also email us Okiebadger@charter.net Thanks.
  • jwicecarverjwicecarver Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition with the General Grabber P275/60R17 tires. It has the 3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle.

The General Tires are being recalled and I would like to replace them with the Michelin P265/70R17.

Does anyone know if this can be done with the current stock wheels that came with the 2000 Ford Expedition?

Curious also if anyone has any other comments regarding these issues.

Thanks,
  • sleeping_docsleeping_doc Member Posts: 3
    Hi! anyone knows if 2003 Expedition's LARGE exterior mirror can be fitted with Lincoln Navigator's power fold mirrors?
  • abrownpup64abrownpup64 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Expedition XLT and was wondering if it is possible to turn the seat around, facing the rear?
    I have an '03 Navigator mirror if you want to compare them. It does not work correctly, but if you are interested, let me know where to e-mail you.
  • cherlmerlcherlmerl Member Posts: 1
    Does the 2002 Bugflector fit? My husband doesn't think it will. Thanks
  • caseman22caseman22 Member Posts: 8
    Does any know who makes the system for the 2001 Expedition. I just purchased one and it is missing the headphones and the remote. Ford want 61.94 for the remote and 82.32 for one set of headphones. That is outrageous!
    So if you know the maker, where I can get these parts or if there are universal counterparts please let me know.
    Thank you in advance.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    had a 2000 expy. bought a bug deflector from the dealer, think it was about 70 bucks. holes to attach were predrilled. came with a template to attach bumpers so the hood wouldn't get scratched.
    i think 3-m makes a clear covering that you can't see unless the hood has just been waxed. i would look into something like that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    went to a well known catalog electronics merchant, cheapest wireless headphones were about 80 dollars each. don't think they will work on an expy, though.
    Well, I may have answered my own question. I called FORD and oh course the say that the maker of the product cannot be released to the public it is Proprietary information. Whatever. I tried to match it up on the net by pictures. It seems to be an Audiovox unit. AVP7000 mono!!? VCP and VOH 641? TV. The headphones that should work with it are the Audiovox MVIRHS or IRHS40 I found them for $35 and $40 at www.discountmobilevideo.com . They also carry the remote 0993000 for $18 for the VCP. I will be going to my local Car audio place to confirm which heaphones work. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks for nothing FORD. Let see FORDS price for remote and two headphones=$226.58 my price=$88 free shipping ( UPS ground). Now I guess I know why they did not want to tell me the manufacter
    caseman22
    looks like you did some great research.
    hope it works out for you.
    that mono thing would kind of sleazy, if true.
    caseman22 = detective?
    you didn't really expect to get a bargain price from the dealer did you?
    it's a pretty limited audience item for a car dealer.
    how many vcp expy's do you think are out there?
    you're probably lucky if you could even get them.
    Actually, in case any one is interested. you would be better of purchasing a aftermarket system. you can get a much bigger screen and much better features for the same cost. I am talking about a 10' screen not a bug size 5' screen. Check out your local car audio dealers for the best deal.
    I did not expect to get a good deal but I did not expect to be robbed! because that is wht they are doing. As soon as I receive my peices and testing everything I will post my findings. Especially about the mono VCP!
    ..aftermarket system. that's what i did. bought the dvd system with the longest battery life i could find. you can get killed on the 12v adaptor. kids love it and you can hook it up to any tv with snap connectors (came with 120v cord).
    i came this close to buying an 01 expy (still new on the lot june 02, eb with 2nd row capt chairs) with a vcp entertainment system, but they wouldn't get real on the price.
    Well, I received the parts and they work great with the system. Thanks but no thanks FORD.

My 01 EB is good as new. 24k miles. All options. $25k.
    Has anyone added these to there 97-01 Expy? I have a 01 and am thinking of doing this. Would like to know how hard the install was and if there worth it?

Shane
  • grey03xltgrey03xlt Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to put a grill in the lower opening on my XLT, the big opening below the front bumper. I see that the Eddie B models do, and the others all don't have a grill there. Has anyone else done this?
  • grey03xltgrey03xlt Member Posts: 2
    What experience have readers had with dog/cargo barriers for Expeditions? I would like a metal one which could be used behind the second seat, and which stows up against the ceiling, like the gas spring model on our Volvo wagon. If these are not available, is there any metal barrier which does not rely upon pressure against the headliner to keep it in place?
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    A few questions.

1). Does anyone out there know if you can reprogram the 6 disc in-dash "audiophile" radio on an Expy to come on in dual play mode, instead of single play mode? I know all I need to do is hit buttons "2" and "4" at the same time to switch, but it would be more convenient to have it default to dual play all the time.

2). Does anyone out there have any experience with the satellite radio option with this system? Sirius has a "free tuner" promo, and all I would need is an antenna and service. Any suggestions, comments, etc.

3). Regarding wireless headphones. I hate the stock wireless units that Ford provides. After taking delivery of my '01 with rear-set vcp, I found an enclose-the-ear unit (6000IR) from Unwired Technology (http://www.unwiredtechnology.com) that both I and my kids enjoy. After 2 years of constant use, the only problem I have experienced is an ear cushion that comes off. They work with my new Expy DVD system, so my investment was protected, to boot.

Scott
  • JKocinsJKocins Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone come across a way to add head restraints to the 3rd row bench seat on the 2000 Expedition? Our kids sit back there quite often and have now out grown their car booster seats which used to provide a head restraint. Now without the booster seat, they seem to be exposed to neck injury without a proper head restraint similar to the middle row.

The restraint would likely have to be removeable in order to fold down the third row when needed. Any ideas?
  • anolananolan Member Posts: 2
    I too was interested in adding a lower grille, like on the Eddie Bauer, in the opening below the front bumper on my XLT, I believe they call it the valance. The dealer told me it couldn't be done, because there are no pre-drilled holes, and they would have to put in an entire bumper. I find it hard to believe there isn't a way to add the lower grille, it seems like it should be a fairly simple request. Although I haven't been able to locate just the lower grille, so maybe there is more to it than I think.

Any information on getting the lower grille or if this is possible to install would be helpful, Thanks!
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    You can order the lower grill for an EB from Ford. It is a different color than the grill on the XLT so it will need to be painted. I think it runs around $120 if memory serves me. I will not be paying the difference if I'm wrong though. The other option is to get a matched set of billet upper and lower grills for around $250
  • deanctdeanct Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone noticed that the steering wheel on the expedition is thinner than the explorer, focus, mini van or trucks? It reminds me of cars I drove from the 70's. Other than that, I love the truck, have 1k on it and so far no problems. One last thing, has anyone noticed when running the A/C it sometimes smells like burning plastic?
  • deanctdeanct Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone replaced their Expedition steering wheel or had it done with the wood grain option??
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    I've noticed this unusual smell too. I guess it must be "normal" for this to happen.
  • javnerjavner Member Posts: 23
    We just purchased an 04 Expedition XLT and we want to put a flip down video system in it. Since it has the sunroof we are getting conflicting information on whether or not it can be done...some say yes, others say no. When I looked on the Ford site, a) you can get RES with the sunroof, and b) they have an aftermarket unit avaiable from Ford. Is it possible that their is sometype of reinforcement built into the sunroof system that would allow it?

Easy answer is to use the seat back systems, but since we want to be able to spread the 3 kids out during road trips, would be hard to see from the far row I'd think.

Any experince anyone has would be appreciated.
  • javnerjavner Member Posts: 23
    Update for those interested.

Last week we had a Sony Dream System (MV-7101DS)installed in the truck. Because of the sunroof and rear ventilation system I got many mixed opinions on whether it could or couldn't be done. Because the system we choose uses a 7" screen and the player is a seperate unit it was not a problem. Circuit City did a great job with the installation.

We had a FM modulator installed that is hard wired with a switch since the 1 and 3 year old can't handle headphones. Good thing is with the FM modulator, we will be able to use cheap wired headphones with the rear audio controls as they get older and we'll be able to listen to CDs up front.

Color of the bezel and monitor blend in perfectly with the headliner, and the player fits very nicely under the front seat. Total installed with warranty was 1/2 of the FORD after market. If interested find one of these systems soon since Sony is pushing them out in favor a larger screen with a built in player that is to big and heavy for install in this truck. We got free install at Circuit City.

Good Luck.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    The sub-woofer does not sound good to me. It's stock on the '04 Expy EB -- sitting in the 2nd and 3rd rows is pretty annoying. Am interested in having a mid-range speaker in place of the sub. To me, it will be much more tolerable back there for passengers. Any thoughts? Anyone else agree with my assessment?

Thanks in advance.
  • ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    I noticed this, and i have a friend who owns a body shop, he says that he could do it. the part cost somewhere around between 100 dollars and 150 dollars.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    A tip for '97 to 2002 Expy owners who dislike the sloppy front-end: I recently installed heavy-duty urethane sway bar end-link bushings ( not by choice- one of the OEM's broke and fell off in the road somewhere!). What a difference! Much less body roll in corners and tighter handling overall. Cost about $100 installed at Pep Boys.

Best hundred bucks I've spent in awhile.
  • soldbysislersoldbysisler Member Posts: 4
    Ok, here's a crazy question. Just bought an 05 EB and love it. I'm trying to buy a spare set of carpeted floormats - including a mat for the 3rd row which does not come with the truck. The parts guy at the dealer is on set #3 for me and none seem to match the color of the carpet in my truck. The Ford accessory cataloge "on-line" shows a great set of mats, but the color is very different (darker) than the factory. If it helps, I'm a Realtor. I put clients in my truck and am just trying to keep it nice. Any suggestions??
  • ladyexpyladyexpy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XLT as well and know that you must have the dual media prior to DVD installation. I have the dual media, but find it rather ridiculous to pay the almost $1600 they want for their 7" DVD which doesn't include installation. I have priced them and you can get a nice portable DVD with a 10" screen for about $350 from places like Costco or Sam's Club and it includes 2 sets of headphones and all the adapters. This is the route I'm taking. Considering the power ports it would be the best option. Plus, I am hearing the DVD systems have become a prime target for theives. I understand that theives can remove the DVD system in less than 10 minutes. The portable can be neatly tucked away out of sight under a seat.
  • djrobdjrob Member Posts: 8
    I did this when I bought my car. I have a '03 Expedition XLT. When I bought it I got the Billet style grill that comes with the bottom piece. If you're gonna get the bottom piece I suggest you getting the Billet style one, the price difference is probably about 50 buck, but looks wise it's beautiful. ;) :surprise:
    of course 350 is a better deal than 1600, the only thing that you don't get is the "great sound". But I'm sure you could get an adapter of some kind where you hook it up to your stereo system from the portable DVD player.
    To answere your question about the sub wiring. I have a 2003 XLT and mine di not have the wiring.
    I have a 2003 XLT. First it didn't come with wiring plus I tink the stock sub woofer is self amplified, and I think you would need to cut out the rear right paneling, but they sound like crap
    OK! First off you do not need an entirely different bumper, that's a joke. If you want to buy a lower grill just go into the parts Dept. and see if they have it available without the whole grill. If not I'll send you an e-mail with my phone number and I'll try to get it for you. As far as the installation, all you need is a phillips screw driver and four screws, but it does screw right into the bumper. Make sure you get metal screws. My email is djrob9@yahoo.com
    everytime I shift gears I get a couple of very annoying clicks from the rear. Does anyone have this problem and is it possible to fix this?
    Hey guys anybody out there drive the new T-Birds? :shades:
  • dds02dds02 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 04 EB expedition with the audiophile 6 disc changer...does anyone know of a good product/harness to connect my ipod directly to my stereo without using one of those junky FM modulators?? thanks
  • scdscd Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking for a DVD system that will mount on the ceiling of my 2005 XLT, no sunroof. Does anyone know an aftermarket system that will work? Also, who makes the system that Ford installs at the factory. The XLT's on the lot only came with a 7" screen. Was looking to go a little bigger on the screen, and wanted an all-in-one system to avoid mounting a separate unit somewhere else.
  • german8rgerman8r Member Posts: 1
    SCD,

Try Crutchfield
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tC717pJwlD7/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=170450&avf=Y

The 7 inchers go for $499 and the 10 inchers are around $799. I had an Audivox in my last truck and it worked without a hitch. You should be able to get a good feel for the style you want and what the ballpark figures are.

As to your other question, the ones in the new Fords are made by Panasonic.

Hope that helps.

;)
  • dawn713dawn713 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to program the homelink garage opener on a 2001 Ford Exp?? My owners manual doesn't even mention the feature.
This discussion has been closed.