Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vic_vinylevic_vinyle Member Posts: 34
    Our 99 Exped does the exact same thing. :mad:

Tap on the odometer and it appears again.

Happens on a random basis.

Any fixes for it yet? :confuse:
  • guzman5guzman5 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe you all have an answer for me.....I have a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer and I have a problem with my brakes...My problem is an unusual and terrible shaking when the brakes are applied, it happens while slowing down between the 70 and 30 mph range. Once the vehicle has slowed down to 30 mph the vibration goes away....while accelerating to any speed range there is absolutely no vibration....this problem has gotten so bad that the whole steering column shakes while applying the brakes....anyone help? :mad:
  • jmcartierjmcartier Member Posts: 2
    I am a technician, and have a solution to your problem. The problem is that the brake rotors are warped. meaning that they have high spots and low spots, caused by overheating. (usually city driving, towing, using your brakes hard etc.) the fix for this is a brake job. I would recomend replacing the the rotors. you can machine them, but if they are as bad as you say, it will just come back. As the rotor turns the high spots push the pads back and the result is a brake pulsation. At highway speeds this results in a severe vibration. you dont feel it below 30 mph because the rotors are not turning fast enough to cause a vibration. If you can feel it in the steering wheel it is the fronts, if you feel it in the seat, it is the rears. You will need a whole brake job because the pads have already worn into the old rotors, And you have to take the pads out to replace the rotor anyway. Hope this helps, Justin
  • guzman5guzman5 Member Posts: 2
    Justin

Thanks I plan on doing just that....thanks for your help

Sal
  • deanctdeanct Member Posts: 10
    I found out it was the battery. It was malfunctioning so they replaced it and so far it's been good. Hopefully I won't experience any of the other problems that I've read about. Good luck!!
    My ford dealers charged me close to $300 for the same problem. You got off cheap! :cry:
    :) Problem fixed for $344.

Seems there are 2 Hall Effect sensors on the rear axle that sense speed. They replaced the first one and a different code appeared...still the 4x4 light flashed.

So they replaced the second sensor...and problem is gone.

Each sensor is about $53. Seemed to make sense, at 110.000 miles, to replace both so I wouldn't risk future problems between the 2 of them on the same circuit.

• lamp1lamp1 Member Posts: 1
    your rings havent seaded yet weight till you get about 1000 miles on it i bet it will stop smoking you still have break oil in it
  • akfordakford Member Posts: 1
    Have a 97 Ex and have loved it but now I have a intermittent problem. has been to shop 3 times and dealer 1 time with no permanent fix. Started this summer,at about 40 to 50 mph it starts hesitating (chugging), worse going up hill. If I throttle back and go easy it smooths out I can ease it up thru 50 mph and then it is ok (or sometimes I turn off the over drive so the rpm's come up and it smooths out). next time in the car it is just fine. Shop replaced the #2 spark plug and coil. Worked for a while and then started doing it again. replaced the spark plug (#2) again ...Then I took it to the dealer and they had it for 5 days and could not get it to do it. (no fault of theirs, if it dosent do it how can they fix it) I did have them replace the fuel filter on advice of a friend and it ran for about 2 or so months with out a hitch then the other day it started doing it again. No engine light so nothing on the computer. I live in alaska so I am used to there being more "problems" in the cold but this started in the summer.
  • duane4duane4 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2001 Ford Expedition with about 64k miles. Last week she noticed it seemed to be jerking while driving like it was slipping gears or something. I checked it out over the weekend and the transmission fluid looks fine. I did notice that when I take off quick, it pauses and then jerks forward and it feels like it tries to engage the 4dw drive. We've been driving it with the service engine soon light on for about 5 months and all has been fine. Could there be a bad sensor that is causing it to act this way or do I have something more serious about to go wrong?
  • nbxnbx Member Posts: 28
    Just got on after being away for a few months. This noise is very normal and is nothing more than the A/C starting up after having been idle overnight or longer. The refrigerant currently mandated by EPA makes this unavoidable. I sounds terrible, but is common for all late model Fords and is no problem at all.
  • nbxnbx Member Posts: 28
    Dealer earlier replaced and then rebuilt(rebuild only Ford's new policy) rear diff in try to eliminate noise. 100% success the first time at 5,000 miles, but rear-end whine returned at 25,000 or so. Dealer unable to correct
    completely with rebuild and now claims the remaining problem is the wonderful OEM tires that Ford provides.

The vehicle's only other problem in first 37,000 miles has been a loud clanging noise on hills a couple of times from what the Ford dealer believes is bad fuel (maybe from the hurricanes?)

Overall lots of good performance from this vehicle, good running 5.4L, 260 hp, nice tranny upgade for 2004. Decent day to day mileage from 5.4L 2V engine given the 5,720 lbs for the 2004 NBX. Nice handling from stock off-road NBX setup. Newer 20.5-1 steering ratio in 2004 and up models pleasant to drive while being plenty quick. (2003 FX4 Expedition was too quick for me at 17.1 with R&P steering)

Again lots of performance,value, vehicle life, and brakes nd towing ability. And, best of all gasoline is $1.95/ gallon at least for now! Ha!

P.s. For NV BANKER--old FX4 now NBX
  • mindy3mindy3 Member Posts: 1
    I started my 2003 Expedition this morning and a very loud ticking or clicking noise was coming from the rear right panel where the reclining seat buttons are located. I could feel vibrations coming from there. I don't know what is under that panel but on my way to work it stopped. I drove it after work and it was fine. After running around all evening it started up again and did not stop until I turned the car off. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? It is so loud that turning up the radio did not drown it out.
  • davidz2davidz2 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently noticed a fuel smell coming from my 2000 EB. I looked under to see a drip coming from a return fuel line located next to the front of the fuel tank. It looks as if the protective shield in front of the tank hits the line perpendicular. I'm guessing from vibration the fuel line was eventually cut. Now 500.00 to drop the tank and replace the line. Anybody else experience this, can I do this myself? :mad:
  • suvsuesuvsue Member Posts: 1
    Just had this fixed. After 6 years of owning a 1997 Eddie Bauer with a lean. No one could ever find anything wrong including 3 dealerships!

The air bag does not return. Fix is about $150 at dealership to clean up solenoids, I believe they said. That was what was wrong with mine.
  • veev1230veev1230 Member Posts: 1
    CAN SOME ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ANY WAY TO GET INTO MY CAR , MY KEY ARE IN IT AND I HAVE NO # CODE TO GET IN THRU THE KEYLESS ENTRY !!!!! help
  • dwilson1dwilson1 Member Posts: 2
    My son drives my former 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer and has experienced the same jerking motion while driving. It feels like the vehicle is trying to engage the 4-wheel drive while the vehicle is moving. I've driven the vehicle and experienced it once but not as severe as my son. He has also had problems with the vehicle starting. It doesn't happen everytime but when it does, the vehicle starts and if you take the foot off accerator it stalls the vehicle. It's been in the shop three times, and each time we've paid for the diagnostic machine only to find out that it doesn't reflect problems with starting. So why put it on the same machine 3 times??? We've been told by each mechanic that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. We've had the solenoid replaced, checked the starter and replaced the battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This vehicle is a great vehicle but it's starting to be a money pit. :confuse:
  • dwilson1dwilson1 Member Posts: 2
    Try calling someone like Triple AAA or a locksmith (which can be costly) can probably disengage the lock itself which will have to be replaced. You may want to contact the dealership to see if they have any information to help you get into the vehicle.
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    You can go to a ford dealership and provide them with the vin# and proof of ownership(usually some kind of ID)and the dealership can provide you with the code for the keyless entry.
  • dendzdendz Member Posts: 1
    For the past 18 months, I can smell gas coming from my 2002 Ex. After I park it, I can smell it coming out from under the hood. When I first start it when its warm, I get a blast of strong gas smell through the vents. I have looked for leaks and can't find any. I have had it back to my Ford dealership three times and they keep saying they can't find a leak. They have even pressure checked my fuel system and still no luck. Now that the weather has turned cold, I no longer smell gas. But I know it will be back in the spring. Anyone else experience this problem? Any ideas??
  • 99eeb99eeb Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99 Exp. EB edition. My truck is all wheel drive but when I go to put it in 4wh Low or 4wh High, within a few minutes of me changing gears, I hear this LOUD THUMP. Took it to the dealership and they told me that there is no problem. Can anybody help me with this problem??

99EEB.
  • whortonswhortons Member Posts: 1
    I wish I found this thread before my hubby took my 01 Exp to the shop....$236.00 -- and I even called the dealer right after I found this and told him what it was...

Dealers suck!
  • barako927barako927 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just replaced the battery on my expedition and started getting these jerking motion on my expedition and now my wife calls me and told me that the Service Engine light is on. did you get get any luck with yours..
  • jeeppiperjeeppiper Member Posts: 1
    I dont have an answer to your problem, but my wife also has a 2001 Expedition and her "Service Engine Soon" light came on. We also noticed a similar hesitation (occasionally), and sometimes we get a white puff of smoke when we start the car.

I took it to the dealer, who ran diagnostics on it. Diagnostics came back with lean fuel mixture on both banks of cylinders. They took a sample of fuel from the tank, and concluded that the fuel was contaminated (i.e. bad fuel). The Ford Dealer was quick to point to the gas station where I got the fuel (Gulf) and said that some service stations will mix either diesel or kerosene in with the gasoline fuel because it is cheaper.

Ford dealer changed my oil, drained my tank, reset my Service Engine soon light, and gave me $20 worth of gas....all for the bargain price of $396.

Personally, I think the Service Mgr. at the dealer is the crooked one. I think the lean fuel is an indicator that a fuel sensor is bad and the car is compensating by making the mixture too lean. Good luck.
  • expeditionexpedition Member Posts: 2
    I have Expedition 2003. In June 2005 I experienced the same clicking from the back panel. It was mostly on, but would stop sometimes.
    I took it to local Ford dealership (Irvine, CA) and they said that "heater rear blend door" is stuck. They mentioned that it is a kind of motor that switch form heating to cooling. They replaced "aux. blend door actuator" and charged me $420 for it.
    At the beginning of December 2005 (a little less than 6 months later) clicking started again. I took it in yesterday, and they wanted to charge me again since the warranty on that part is 12 months or 12,000 miles and I had 15,000 miles since I did the work.
    So, be careful, ask how long the part/repair work would last! :mad:
  • jdub5jdub5 Member Posts: 1
    I often hear a popping noise coming from the rear end on my car. It happens at all times parked or driving. My guess is that the fuel tank is not venting properly and pops when to bring in air. Although no one/dealer can confirm this since I cant recreate it. The sound is much like a tin oil can being hit with a wrench.
    Anyone getting this?
  • shasta2shasta2 Member Posts: 2
    When the engine is warm (after a long trip) my 1997 XLT Expedition engine misfires after trying to accelerate from an idle (at a stop light, etc.). Every once in a while the idle also gets rough when at a stop. It seems to happen when I using the blower with the AC or Heater. The dealer can't find anything wrong. Anybody got any ideas what going on?
  • airborne6airborne6 Member Posts: 1
    jdub5

Sorry I have no solutions. But I am sharing in the same agony. I also have a 03 making the same noise. Only thing is; the gas tank is made of a plastic. But I swear the sudden pop sounds metallic.
    My wife wrote a website called texascardoctor.com. A guy named skeeter gave a list of possibilities. First he thought the gas tank may be getting sucked in by the vacuum that the fuel pump puts on it while driving. This he said could be caused by a bad emissions valve associated with the fuel vapor return system or possibly a bad gas cap. Secondly, he thought that maybe the exhaust system is cooling down and causing the noise when it cools off. Possibly the muffler or catalytic converter contracting. If a locking gas cap has been installed it could cause this problem.
    Skeeter suggested taking the Expedition in to a shop and listen to the noise with the mechanic. But you and I know that this sound is too unpredictable. Another suggestion was to have someone look underneath the vehicle after it has been driven enough to act up and see if the gas tank is sucked in. He said it would be real noticeable if this were the problem.
    Personally, I like the bad emissions valve theory. I just have to figure out what and where it is considering there are no hanes manuals available yet. Hope this was helpful in some way. If we figure out the problem and get it fixed we will let you know the results. Good luck!

Airborne6
  • km5km5 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my passenger side window on my 03 EB Expedition. Any ideas on how to fix it?
  • robin34robin34 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Eddie Bauer Expedition. It makes the same noise. I took it to 2 shops and they could not figure out what that nosie was so they told me to take it to the dealer which I did. They also told me that they did not hear anything and could not tell me what it may be unless they heard it. When I shut off the truck it makes that noise and then goes away. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it does not. Did you ever find out what caused that noise?
  • litezoutlitezout Member Posts: 4
    My 1997 Expedition is doing the same thing. The battery light was coming on when you accelerated and turned off when you weren't on the gas. Now it's on mostly all the time. I just replaced the battery a couple months ago. The only thing I can trace the problem to is the truck was broken into a couple of weeks ago and the entire ignition was broken off and had to be replaced, then taken to Ford to be reprogramed. The truck runs fine, but the light is annoying.
  • hartranft4hartranft4 Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 99 Exp EB Edition, my truck is also AWD, we had snow 8 inches of snow and I was in park put the truck into 4wh. When I got out of the snow. I stopped and put it back into awd (so I thought). The 4x4 light goes out but it still is in 4wh. We have replaced the shift motor today. What other suggestions does anyone have? Maybe a hub issue???
  • cathbunnycathbunny Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I was wondering can I somehow disconnect my front passanger airbag? I have a need for that front seat and I can not risk having an airbag explode on it. (Don't worry it is not a child) I make VERY LARGE paper mache pieces.
    Thank you
    Cath :confuse:
  • bluesstubluesstu Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced both of the rear light bulbs and everythings rosey.
  • andre0321andre0321 Member Posts: 4
    one of your lights is it. Doesn't necessarily mean it's your blinker. It's probably one of your parking lights.
    I have the same jerking problem with my 01 expedition. The service engine light came on as well. I'm going to have it looked at in an hour. I'll let you know what they say about it.
    The garage said the jerking is caused by a malfunctioning cylinder. Either the spark plugs are bad or the coil is bad. Since I just had the spark plugs changed during the tune up, it's most likely the coil. It's about $140 for the coil and about 30 minutes labor.
    Here's the deal with the jerking. The expeditions get condensation in where the spark plugs are so they blow. It also causes the ignition coil to go bad. I just changed my spark plugs, you want the ones from the dealer. They cost $12 a piece. If it doesn't solve the problem, then your ignition coil is bad. Don't get that from the dealer. They charge 150 for it. I got mine at autozone for $54. The mech charged me $20 to install it. It runs perfectly fine now.
  • emit84emit84 Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2003 Expedition. I thought that it was assoicated with the heat/air vents but the sound is coming from the right rear panel. I have an appointment with the dealership in the morning but wanted to get an idea of what the problem is. Did you get it fix ? If so what was the problem and how much did it cost to have fixed ?
  • syungsyung Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Expedition and I just started getting the same ticking noise. Did the dealer identify the problem?
  • kenatakenata Member Posts: 4
    I had the exact same problem with my 97 Eddie Bauer. I've got the 5.4 Triton engine. Each spark plug has its' own coil. I would say one of those coils is going bad. Might have to wait until it triggers the check engine light so the codes can be read to determine which coil it is.
  • kenatakenata Member Posts: 4
    My 97 Eddie Bauer also hums, sometimes, when I shut the engine off. It does not concern me much but I was thinking the idle air control valve was doing it. One of these days I'll get out there with my mechanics stethoscope and check it out to satisfy my curiosity but I would not worry about it.
  • knhd976knhd976 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Expedition that has the dead - start problem. I load tested the battery and it checked O.K. Replaced it with a new one anyway. Problem represented a few days later. Bought an automatic 1.5 vdc trickle charger that plugged into the cigarette lighter. Eliminated the problem for several months. Now the problem is back with a vengence. We have to jump start it if it sits more than 8 hours off a charger. The interior lights shut off or blink when the problem occurs. There must be steady drain on the system but nothing is obvious :cry:
  • b20755b20755 Member Posts: 1
    MY DRIVER SIDE WINDOW IS GIVING ME PROBLEM ALSO. SOMETIME IT WILL DOWN WITH OUT STOPPING AND SOMETIME IT WILL JUST STOP. AND WHEN I TRY TO UP THE WINDOW IT WILL TAKE A VERY LONG TIME. I WAS TOLD BY THE DEALER THAT MY SWITCH IS GOING BAD
  • john22670john22670 Member Posts: 4
    The leak might be under the hood with the hoses run to the heater core. If one camps is loose you will loose antifreeze and need new wires and plugs.
    PS
    Check the antifreeze overflow tank
  • azzleazzle Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '02 Eddie Bauer and it has been in once to fix a water leak (rain) on the passenger side coming in from the handle on the windshield column.
    I took it back to where I bought it and they had it for four days and finally said they found the problem. They stated they cleared all four drains from the moonroof.

Yesterday it started leaking on the drivers side???

Has anyone experencied this???

Thanks,
    Az
  • explorer2535explorer2535 Member Posts: 1
    I can't get my wipers to turn off. Switch (knob?) seems to operate correctly (I can turn it to "off") but the wipers stay on intermittent. Since the problem cropped up after washing the vehicle I'm guessing a short in the electrical system somewhere?

Thought problem disappeared on 2nd day, but as soon as I used the blinker the wipers started working again. Any suggestions?
  • johnracer6johnracer6 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 expedition also has a broken front blend door. How did you replace it ? did you have to remove the dash.and if you did can you give me info
  • 98expedition98expedition Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem years ago. It is more than likely just the Thermostat that controls the temp it cracks and when you turn it you think you are turning the temp but you are not. I suggest you get a new control if manual if digital I am not sure. Good luck I had it in the shop many times finally a deal after going to numerous one's
  • ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    OK, I will start off saying I have those continental tires that I keep hearing not so good things about. my problem is this, I have had my tires balanced twice in the last 3 months and i still have this ocassional vibration when operating at slow speeds while driving the expedition, balancing the tires helped some, but the tires according to the tech are spin balanced perfectly, he even recalibrated the tire balancing machine on this last balance job. But it still vibrates the dash at certain speeds. Most of the vibration is comming from the piece that fits over the passenger side airbag> this is getting very frustrating! Has anybody else out there experienced this excessive vibration with 2003 Ford Expeditons? and what can be done about it? any other areas to check on the vehicle besides tires? Thanks for any help!