Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

oil cooler hoses leak

tgregory3tgregory3 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
My 1999 Chevy Blazer with 42000 miles leaks a lot of engine oil and I must replace original hoses and I feel this repair is too soon on such a newer truck. Does any one else have a comment?
The maintenance schedule does not mention oil cooler hoses check. Please comment. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    brorjacebrorjace Member Posts: 588
    tgregory3, I think ALL hoses should be periodically inspected whether they transport coolant, freon, oil, tranny fluid or even air, for that matter. sometimes they say to do this in the manual, sometimes they do not. <:^(

having said that, I don't blame you for being irritated with a hose that let go in a 2-3 year old vehicle with typical mileage.

--- <b>Bror Jace
  • Options
    zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    Those hoses have a reputation for leaking, but check to make sure if it is really the hose or if it is really leaking where the hose end bracket attaches to the oil filter mount...there is a washer shaped seal at that part that looks like a rubber disk with metal outside ring, if the rubber splits then you have a good leak at that point. If the hose end fittings themselves are leaking then you have to replace the hose itself.
    If it is the seal, it is a easy fix, just one bolt holds the bracket on the filter mount.
    Good luck
    Rando
  • Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    More than likely it is the fittings that go into the cooler.
    It may be as simple as replacing the hose fitting o-rings.
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Do you have a 4 wheel drive model? I seem to remember some talk in the Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada topic about there being a problem with the remote oil filter hoses on the 4 wheel drive models. If memory serves it was the crimps where the rubber hose and the metal tube meet that were giving out and leaking.

If you have a 2 wheel drive model, it is usually a bad o-ring connector or the adapter fitting that screws into the radiator. My wife's 2wd S-10 leaked at 300 miles and needed both upper and lower hose fittings and o-rings replaced. Dealer kinked the line and that ended up with another line failure at 9400 miles, so if you do it your self watch out for that one the replacement line runs around $100.
  • Options
    gjogjo Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 Blazer 4x4 had it's hose come off the crimp and empty 3 quarts on the ground. The oil light check gauges did not turn on. It happen just before I was home. Last year GM had a nation wide back order on the hoses. It is big problem with crimps. The hose that failed with no warning was the one from oil filter to radiator cooler is about $35 and not very hard to do (70,000 miles). I had to replace the hoses from engine to oil filter at 55,000 miles and was leaking (warning me) to be replaced before complete failure and it is much more difficult job to do. Under SUV town hall Blazer problems there was a thread of complaints on these hoses last year. Good luck.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hoses are generally thought to be expendables, that is, normal maintenance items like wiper blades, shocks, brake pads, fan belts, etc.

I think 42K is reasonable hose life, yes.
This discussion has been closed.