Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Solstice

Comments

• rad1701rad1701 Member Posts: 13
    I'm tempted to get a Pontiac Solstice, but I live in Michigan. Has anyone driven one much in snow and or ice? I'm sure it wouldn't be great with the light car and rear wheel drive but I was curious on how good or bad it might be. This would be my main vehicle. I might have an old car around to drive on those rare really bad snow days. Just wondering if the Solstice is impossible to drive with snow on the roads.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    its not impossible to drive in the snow..but anything over a few inches...2-3...and it becomes a snow plow due to the low profile....it comes with all season tires....and has the typical rwd effects in winter weather.....

if this will be your main vehicle or daily driver...you also have to consider space....its not meant to haul much...and you definitely will not carry any large objects.....there are plenty of michigan drivers over at the solstice forum.....you can check over there as well
  • rad1701rad1701 Member Posts: 13
    Solstice forum?? On Edmunds or somewhere else?
    google solstice forum
  • stobarstobar Member Posts: 110
    I have a 2007 Solstice automatic, and notice that every time I start it up and back out of the garage, a small trail of water is coming from somewhere underneath the right side, I believe in or near the engine compartment. This only happens when I start it (or at least when I notice it). Is this normal? I thought it may be coming from the a/c or evaporator? I'm not a mechanic, but before taking it to the shop, I thought someone would know what I might be talking about. Thanks.
    it is probably condensation from the evaporator.....ours does the same thing...we have an 06...
  • johnnieboyjohnnieboy Member Posts: 16
    I recently purchased a 2008 Solstice GXP. Unfortunately, I parked it a few weeks ago for the winter and will be driving my Aurora for the winter season here in Edmonton, Alberta.

I have driven my dream car" fro only 2000 KMs. However, while everything about the car is as wonderful as i expe3cgted it to be, there are several engine noises that the dealer's performance staff have indicated is "normal' on may of the Solstice a and Sky' turbos and that after 15,000 or so kilometers the sound usually will fade away or lighten. There are more noises at start up than when the engine warms up. One is a clicking type of sound and the other is a like an old windup clock sound. Does anyone have the same type of sounds an dif so, have the y subsided over time?

I'm also planning to installl some performance enhancements such as the Kappasphere cold Air Intake and KS1` Sports Exhaust which are to increase the HP by 30. Any suggestions for me as to the sound, torque and HP from the types of installations?

John
    go over to the solsticeforum as well ....you engine sounds are normal...the ticking sound has been explained..but I cant remember the exact reason....as far as the CAI and exhaust....you probably will not gain that much HP from that...shop around for the exhaust...lots of compliments for solo performance and their exhausts for the GXP..they are a canadian co as well......some have experience issues with adding the CAI....as it has thrown some codes on the GXP as well..dont know if they have resolved those or not.......06 Solstice here...N/A
    Thanks N/A.

I'll delay moving too quickly to do the performance upgrade and do more research, based upon your advice.

Do you know if the motor sounds fade away with use?

John
    N/A is naturally aspirated since I dont own a turbo....form what there is also a GXP forum as well.....you might want to check out..from what I read the sounds do lessen.....but the ticking is part of the turbo...
    Thanks for the response and N/A explanation. I will check out the turbo forum. John
  • jenniferwalkerjenniferwalker Member Posts: 1
    hi i am about to buy a pontiac solstice 2007 convert. black automatic and they are asking for 19999. it has 17thousand miles. with 17in chrome rims. I live in las vegas nv.. Do you think it is a good price? I kbb it and it came out to be 22000. I have a trade in it is a 2001 gt mustang ford that has 91 thousand miles they are going to take it but only give me $5000 on it. I was really pissed when they told me that.
    Also, i know there was a discussion on warranty i have no idea what to get as well.. I desperatly need some advice. My plan is to buy it tommorrow but i want to make sure i am making the right choice.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    I can only say that the whole vehicle warranty is good until 36,000 miles and about 2010 (3 years from original purchase). 100,000 warranty on powertrain which is also transferable to repurchasers.

Because it has an included GM 100,000 powertrain warranty an all vehicle warranty past 36K should be reasonable?
    you can probably come down some on the Solstice.......is it from a Pontiac dealer....the 07 has a 5/100k on the drive train..but I dont know if its transferable between owners....$5k on your mustang.....7 years old and 91K sounds reasonable as well.....check KBB for trade in value.....

you can get a better deal searching for the GMPP extended warranty plan on line vs your dealer as well if you are interested in that...
  • ibheathibheath Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2007 Solstice GXP with 600 miles on it. After 200 miles the car began to make horrible engine noise. I took it to the dealer who stated it was normal and handed me a flier stating that General Motors is aware of this problem and until they can figure out how to fix it I will have to live with my car sounding like a diesel truck. I have had people come and knock on my window and let me know that there is something wrong with my car. I again took my car into the dealership and this time the mecanics and lot boys came running out to hear what was making such a loud noise. Guess what- it was my car!! Once again I was handed a flier stating this knocking in my engine is "normal" and that General Motors is aware of the problem but doesn't know how to fix it and won't let anyone attempt to. Now my car has been in a total of 4 times as requested by the Attorney General all because the General Motor company is aware that there is a "problem" with my car. All of the employees at the dealership have admitted there is a serious problem in the engine of my car and they can't fix it because of General Motors. I am just wondering if anybody else out there is going through the same bull**** as I am. Don't get me wrong- I adore this car. But I don't like driving something that souds like a big rig driving down the road.
  • srushingsrushing Member Posts: 38
    Hey you Solstice and Sky owners,

I'm wondering if my golf clubs will fit in the trunk space of the Solstice/Sky with or without the top down? Will 2 bags? I'm not talking the huge cart bags, just asmall stand bag.

Thanks
    I know at least one bag will fit...and I beleive two will two if smaller ones...you can make a little more room by pulling out the air compressor and storing it behind the drivers seat as well.....bags should fit with the top down..go to the solsticeforum.com to do a search..there are pics of bags in trunk there...also if new owner...join that national org at nassoa.org
    I'm took my 07 Solstice in to get a few corrections made and one problem I had was with a leaking roof. I got the old "cannot duplicate problem" response. I came out to the car one evening to have the drivers side map pocket full of water after a good rain storm. Has anyone else had problems with leaking roof. I'd like to throw something back at the dealer for not being able to duplicate the problem. Thanks.
    Well they were able to fix the leaky roof. Stated the drivers door glass was out of adjustment and not touching the seal correctly. They aligned and adjusted so hope that takes care of the leak. Also had the passenger door buttons fixed as all went dead. There was a circuit wire that wasn't grounded correctly. Last thing I forgot to get them to fix was the auto adjustment button for the passenger side mirror that's on the drivers side door. It stopped working. Oh well, will wait for next visit.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I ahve seen several Saturn Sky's and Pontiac Solstice's around.....both are great looking cars. However, I have yet to see one that, when the roof in in the closed (up) position, the rear sides have wrinkles in the top...not severe wrinkles, but noticible, none the less. Am I just "lucky" to see the cars with this issue, or is this a "condition" that is normal with these models? It just seems to me that modern cars shouldn't have wrinkles in the fabric in this day and age....

Again, I really like the car design. I hear that a hard-top is in the future...anything to that rumor?
    wrinkles are due to the stowage of the wings in the trunk...they go away in when they heat up in the sun...and yes a targa hard top coupe was introduced at the NY auto show for an 09 release
    www.solsticeforum.com
    www.nassoa.org
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I think we must be referring to different wrinkles. I have yet to see (and I have seen quite a few in store parking lots, etc.) Sky's and Solstice's without at least some wrinkles on the cloth "wings" behind the side windows. On the rare occasion that I have been by a dealer that has one out on the lot, even they have a couple of wrinkles (on a Sunday afternoon, with the dealership closed) in the same area.

My wife has a Mini convertible, and 15 minutes after the top is raised (other than on a cold winter day) almost any sign of a wrinkles has disappeared. I also look at other cars on the road, like Miatas, BMW Z-4's, etc., and I rarely see wrinkles in their convertible tops.

I am considering a vehicle of this type, and really like the body style of the Sky/Solstice, but frankly, I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable buying one with this condition. Surely, I haven't seen only vehicles with the top recently raised...
    we are talking about the same ones....the wings that connect into the trunk lid.......ours gets eliminated when we close the top by pullng down the side of the top along the rear of the windows before you secure the "wings" in place...will say that this is a unique top design as well and not like any other convertible top.....we do occasionally have the what I would describe as a wave..not a wrinkle persay in the wings........it poses not problems with the top at all....we have had ours over two years now....and no top problems at all...
  • zman_rx7zman_rx7 Member Posts: 1
    Lol K So I Took My Mothers 2007 Solstic GXP To The Drag Strip And After Learning How The Car Reacted And What The Cars Best Launches Where I Ended Up With A Fast Time Of 13.9 @ 101 MPH This Was Done At Around 6000 Ft Elevation. I Looked Up The Stats And It Said Pro Driver @ Sea Level Was 14.2 @ 99 MPH. So My Question Is Has Anyone Else Ran Their GXP At A Drag Strip And What Times Did You Get... .............To get the 13.9 @ 101 took a special type of launch wide open shifts and double clutching through 4th gear.......O Ya Car Is All Stock
    go over to solsticeforum and there are a lot of folks doing the 1/4 mile times and dynos as well....some with mod'ed GXPs putting at 300HP at the rear wheels with tunes and other mods....some I beleive are getting right at or just below 13 with their cars....
  • thecarbuffthecarbuff Member Posts: 7
    at the begining, i didnt really like it and i was in time square when i saw it for the first time

but then, when i saw it in the (correct me if im wrong) st paul auto show and sat in the driver seat, i absolutiy fell in love with it all

and now im seeing Pontiac beating almost every won

LOVE PONTIAC AND SATURN! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    Hello Carbuff.

My story is similar. I saw the Solstice, liked it generally and left it. Last year I was in a place called Whitecourt Alberta doing my consulting work. AS I approached the school I was going to, I noticed this absolutely striking yellow car - I put down my briefcase and went to see this beauty. It was a solstice. I fell in love with it. Within 2 weeks I bought by red 2008 Solstice GXP which is now not only my love, but also my mistress. I replaced the exhaust and turbo air intake to increase the HP by around 30. It is an absolutely fabulous car. Enjoy yours!!!!

Johnnie Boy
  • arieslagarieslag Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Solstice in April....absolutely love the car! Saw it staring at me for two weeks from the front lines of a car dealership....and on a whim....went in and bought it. I had second thoughts the day I signed the paperwork. I bought it for sheer looks and doubted driving it in our famous New England winters.I've considered trading it for an SUV...but don't seem willing to back out of the deal, having enjoyed it all summer. Winter is fast approaching....most people say I'd be outta my mind to drive it in the winter..saying I'll spin out with the rear wheel drive and light weight. Only two have told me they would drive it if they owned it, but not in a Noreaster.......and that's not a lot. So....I found this forum and decided to ask all you folks who own Solstice's and are experienced in their handling and performance. Can't wait for the responses.......
    their are many all winter drivers.....the solstice will turn into a snowplow with much over 3-4 inches of snow....RWD isnt the best....and an auto seems to be better but a manual will work...

any car can spin out and slip and slide...the solstice is a bit more prone to it...under full power.....in winter conditions...LSD will help along with traction control as well.....there are other solstice forums that you can ask as well...do a google search.....I cant advertise it on here.....they can give you more personal experiences
  • troybarwicktroybarwick Member Posts: 9
    I've been waiting on the 09's to come (Bluetooth), and am ready to buy a Black GXP. Any idea when they will arrive at dealers?
    check with your local dealers......they should be hitting the lots anytime now....at least by the end of Oct I would say.....base pricing was just announced recently...
  • bpgolfnutbpgolfnut Member Posts: 1
    Introduction
    The Pontiac Solstice gained popularity after the 2007 blockbuster hit Transformers, where the Pontiac Solstice was the autobot form of Jazz. The sleek little sports car is as quick as it looks. So if your debating buying a car from this class I would recommend taking a look at the latest American design in the group.
    This report is intended to compare the Pontiac Solstice with its nearest competitors in its class and make the argument that pound for pound and dollar for dollar that this is one of the best roadsters that a sports car enthusiast can purchase. The nearest competitors that the Solstice has are the BMW Z4, the Porsche Boxter, and the Mazda RX-7.
    Overview
    When benchmarked against these close competitors in its class the Solstice has a better price tag and out performs these cars. It also gains style points amongst Americans because it is the first American roadsters of its kind entering the market in this price range. Typically American sports cars are pictured as the high end V-8 mustangs and corvettes. The Solstice being one of the first performance four cylinders made in America by an American car company.
    The Pontiac Solstice hit the market in 2006 with that year being the first year of production. For the price which ranges from $24,000 to $31,500 it performs remarkably well when compared to the rest of its class. The five main categories to look at when evaluating a car are; power train, suspension, exterior, interior, and performance.
    Performance
    The first thing to look at when grading any sports car is the power train which is of course the engine. The Solstice has two engine options available through the production year of 2008. Both of them are inline four engines built by eco-tech. The base Solstice has a 2.4 liter regularly aspirated motor while the GXP version houses a 2.0 liter SIDI (spark ignition direct injection) turbo charged generation II motor. The base car can hit 177 horsepower at 5100 revolutions per minute while the GXP’s 2.0 liter can muster up 260 horsepower at 5100 rpms. While the GXP has substantially more horsepower both of these solstices have an admirable pound to horsepower ratio. It is rumored in late 2009 the Solstice GXP will have an optional 300 horsepower small block V8 available.
    Engine
    The Solstice GXP’s generation II ecotec engine block which produces 2.1 horsepower per cubic inch is what is impressive. GM thought of everything when designing this engine. The fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber, which is a characteristic of diesel engines and uncommon in gasoline motors. However, by doing this it increases fuel efficiency and increases the power output of the car. The newest technology was applied to the turbo aspiration system. It has a dual scroll turbo turbine that is fed by the dual exhaust coming off the engine. This allows for quicker turbo boost and less lag in the turbo system. When needed an impressive 20 pounds of forced air can be pushed into the cylinders on only 2900 rpms being made by the engine. All of this engineering allows this new 2.0 liter Ecotec engine to be one of the leaders of all of the four cylinder engines in production in the world today in both power and fuel efficiency. (New Ecotec 2.0L Direct Injection Turbo Engine, 2006) The picture to the right is of the 2.0 turbo engine by General Motors from worldcarfans.com.
    Suspension
    General Motors did not skimp on the suspension of the vehicle either. The car has four wheel independent suspensions with the power being distributed to the rear wheels. The car gets off the line efficiently because the rear wheel drive also is linked to a limited slip differential which is standard on the GXP model. Four disk brakes are connected air cooled high density steel rotors for maximum braking. Also, each wheel is suspended by an adjustable Bilstein mono tube shock absorber.
    Exterior
    The exterior catches the eye of many sports car enthusiasts by being smooth and soft. At night the car is noticed from a distance with high output xenon head lamps and fog lights. Another noticeable characteristic is the standard 18 inch, five spoke chrome wheels with silver polished wheels available. The car comes in 9 colors ranging from pearlescent white to mysterious black. All of the paint colors are shiny and bright, which is appreciated on all sports cars.
    Interior
    There are only a few interior options that are available on the Solstice, everything else is standard. Of these available options is an upgradable sound system, leather seats, and chrome pedals. All of the power options are standard.
    The interior is easy on the eyes as well. Motorcycle style chrome driver assist gauges are one of the characteristics that remind you that you are in a sports car. At night the entire dash and control panel are lit up in a sporty red, even the turbo boost gauge that gives a constant readout on the air pressure in the engine.
    The one drawback of the car is it is small. When the top is up the solstice can bring about a cluster phobic feel on the driver and one passenger. If you are a tall person you may have an issue with the 5 cubic meters of cargo space which includes the driver and passenger cabin. If you are planning on going on a trip there is no storage room in the trunk which is only big enough to house the fold down cloth top. With all of that being said, in the summer with the top down there is no feeling better than being free, low, and quick in the Solstice.
    Conclusion and Recommendation
    The Pontiac Solstice is light and quick with its turbo charged inline four engine. It can get up from stopped to 60 miles per hour in 5.4 seconds. This beats out its near competitors of the RX-7, Z4, and the Boxter. The braking and cornering comes in just average. The turning and feel on the suspension is more what the driver likes, but if you like a hard sense on the steering the Pontiac is right for you.
    When compared to its class the average price for the Solstice GXP is around $28,000. You are getting a lot of zip for your buck in the Pontiac Solstice. Compared to the Z4 BMW which has 225 pounds of torque and 255 horsepower comes in at $39,000. The Mazda RX-7 has 212 horsepower in its rotary motor and comes in at the same price as the Solstice GXP. Among the biggest bragging rights of the Solstice is that it is faster than the Porsche Boxter which has a 245 horsepower inline 6 engine and a hefty price tag in its class with the average starting price of $42,000. The Pontiac Solstice with a competitive price and performance engine has the bragging rights on the streets against these high dollar German and Japanese imports.
    When compared to its class the Pontiac Solstice excels in almost every category and for this reason I feel that it is worth the money if you like the styling for this little sports car. The best part about this car is that it is built here in America and is 100% American. I recommend the S
  • spoomspoom Member Posts: 85
    Nope, tried it once with my GXP and it's not worth it. Keep in mind I'm 53 years old, from the Midwest, and I'm "not skeered o snow" one bit. The light weight of the car, power to weight, & wide tires are a real problem. The traction control is working overtime and will just wear out your rear brakes. Only way it'd be half decent would be to put skinny, agressive tread tires on for the winter. For me it isn't worth it so I park it in the garage with Stabil and a battery tender, & breathable cover. Got the 4x4 PU for winter and we're expecting 9"-12" in the next 16 hours anyway :(
  • garnermikegarnermike Member Posts: 72
    2009 Solstice GXP, Wicked (copper), premium package, other niceties like upgraded audio and sport pedals, etc. With GM dealers needing to sell cars, got this $32,900 MSRP car for $26,900 out-the-door.
    Have wanted one since the 2004-5 concept cars. Sold my beloved 2002 Firehawk, which I tired of owning---taking care of that rare 'Bird and using it for carshows and only fair weather driving was getting to be too much. The GXP should fill my adrenilin needs just fine.....
    Will be installing the new GM Stage II Turbo upgrade to lift the car to 290hp and 340 torque.
    I already own a 2007 MX-5, so I know what a road-hugging 2-seat roadster is all about, but my test drives in the GXP tell me that this car will provide a different experience altogether.....
  • gogocartgogocart Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Solstice for 3 yrs. I am in Love every time I see it. The proformance is great. I can say that I have ever been dissappointed. Love it his Name is Bruno.
  • will17will17 Member Posts: 2
    I fell in love with the Pontiac Solstice the first time I saw it in person. My father owns one, and so far, great little car. Unfortunately, I have been reading that Pontiac is being phased out, and was wondering if the Solstice was going to be re-badged as a Chevy, or is this the end of the Solstice too? Anybody know?
    the entire Pontiac line will be phased out in 2010 to include the Solstice.....09MY production is finishing current orders on file......will see if they begin 10MY production or not......

dealers in my area have plenty of 08s on the floor...and even a few 07s not to mention their influx of 09s.......should be able to get some great deals out there in 2010 as the line phases out....

we own an 06 since Dec of 05 and love it....looking to pick up a GXP now.....and keeping our 06 one as well.....
  • eddierapidoeddierapido Member Posts: 3
    Writing from Canada. Picked up my Solstice near the middle of January. I trailered it to my home, about 225 kliks. It was covered in the driveway, for 2 months longer. We had a terrible winter in Muskoka. I started driving it in mid March. Even had the top down, early. And, let me tell you, it is not rocket science, to drop or raise the top. I can do it, in less than a minute. I will agree, about luggage space, with the top down. Belay the cup holders, who cares. They are in the same category as ash trays. It is a black GXP, 5 speed, goes like a bat outta of hell, and gets great mileage! Handles well, and shifts well, just watch the red line in first gear, under full acceleration. As to these so called experts, who tested the Solstice, they must be very girlish. Some wag, said bring tools, re: the top raising and lowering. What, sweetie, afraid you might break a nail? I love it, and the end of Pontiac, is a pity, indeed. Buy North American! It could be your neighbour's job.
    dont think you will ever see the convertible as a collector item unless you have the very last one or the very first one manufactured....the coupe with around a 1000 or so total production will be much more rare than the convertible.....but again....if its the first one or last one...with limited miles in 20 years....you never know
  • eddierapidoeddierapido Member Posts: 3
    But who would have thought, 40 years ago, that Austin Healey 100-6 and 3000's would fetch the price that they now get, at the auctions. I don't drive my roadster every day, I have another vehicle. I do plan to keep it for awhile. I still say, that it draws more than its share of admiring glances. And, IMO, outclasses the much beloved car of the test ladies, (Miata) in looks alone. Then there is the power advantage, of the GXP. This car is alot of fun, and a great ice breaker with the ladies and car enthusiasts. There are not that many up here, north of Toronto and London, Ontario.I got a great deal on the car, when I bought it in the winter, from a dealer in Burlington. Looking through the on line Auto Trader, the prices are $5000 higher for a used one now, with lots of kliks on them. So, who knows?
  • disappointed07disappointed07 Member Posts: 2
    Purchase my Soltice new in 07, at 4,063miles had to replace the rear and replaced rear tires because of uneven wear,at 5,010 had to replace door lock on driver side door, at 5.097 trunk lid to be realign, at 6,988 wind noise from both windows had to readjusted, at 8,481 had to replace the transmission and ignition assy. Mileage on car now is 8,541. I don't abuse this car its garage kept and cover. Paid $26,500 and tried to sell it, the best offer was $15,000. I have to admit its a sharp looking car, but would not recommend it to anyone, will never buy a GM product again.
    sorry you had so many problems with your Solstice....we purchased an 06 N/A and took possession in Dec 05...paid full MSRP at the time so drove it off the lot for just at $25K. We put 41K on the car and never had a problem with it that wasn fixed correctly the first time by our dealer....the major issue was replaced of the rear differential, which apparently was the weak link in the early MY 06 and 07 Sols...

uneven tire wear and replace rear tires at 5k....that does seem a bit excessive, how uneven was the wear....trunk lids are problematic if you force them close the wrong way or stuff too much in the "trunk."..Wind noise is subjective since it is a convertible, most involve tweaks to the top or replacement of seals, replacement of the transmission...that seems the major item with such low mileage on the car....again...you seem to perhaps got a bad one off the line....

we were extremely happy with the car during the five years we owned it and we would certainly recommend it, if you could get a good maintenance history for the vehicle..as far as trade in values go.....cars certainly arent an investment, and depending on the time of year and location, pricing for convertibles can be problematic, also consider the brand no longer exists, which also impacted values IMO....we traded ours in Dec 10 for $10.5, which was auction pricing at the time...just under KBB...

I own two other GM cars as well...04 Chevy Malibu Maxx with 180K on it and running strong and an 09 Cadillac CTS with 36K, with no concerns as well...The Solstice was traded in on a 11 Outback Subaru.....
  • garnermikegarnermike Member Posts: 72
    ...so far. Bought 2009 GXP in Dec. 2008. Only warranty matter was a leaking rear diffy which was corrected just after delivery. Only 3000 miles on her, but, still, not a hint of any of the problems you list. If I had to deal with what you've been through, I'd be disappointed too.
  • blestrangeblestrange Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new '06 Solstice. Had to have a shock replaced while it was still under warranty. Other than that, no problems whatsoever. I drive it all year long, even in the snow. Rarely listen to the radio, so the CD player's been running for five years. I can fit everything in it that I need to go camping: Tent, sleeping bag, cooler, clothes, etc. I camped in PA, OH, SC, VA. The only problem is I can't take anyone with me (if you consider that a problem). The paint and leather seats still look great, even though my dog often rides in the passenger seat and hangs her paws over the side. I'm on my second set of tires at 34K, but I used to do a lot more doughnuts with it than I do since I got married. My wife didn't like the car at first, calling it a "player car", but now she loves it, too. Plus it looks even better with a beautiful woman in it. The first time I saw one, I said, "That's my next car." It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm kinda glad they don't make them anymore, because that makes them even more unique. When you're driving a Solstice, it makes Mustangs look like a dime a dozen.
  • cjacobcjacob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Solstice. I am considering adding the rear Windguard option. Has anyone had this added. Is it effective and worth the expense. How about the appearance ?
  • blestrangeblestrange Member Posts: 2
    I don't have one on mine, but a friend of mine does. He likes it, had it customized, and it lights up when you have your lights on. He said it does help minimize the wind coming in from the back.
    its subjective to be honest...we had a customized one from windrestrictor done for ours back in 2007....wired it to the rear tail lights...led lights from the bottom...and installed an on off switch in the A pillar....

it does cut wind turbulence down on the highway with the side winds up...much below 35 MPH you cant tell a difference.....at highway speeds you can actually carry on a conversation...hear the stereo....and feel the heater working...as needed....
  • timlangetimlange Member Posts: 2
    I have a clear Windrestrictor (brand) on my 2007 Solstice GXP. It made a big difference, glad we got it. Very easy to install. We got the type 2 which installs right behind the seats.
  • disappointed07disappointed07 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my Solstice new in 2007, one of the worst cars, I ever own, had to replaced the rear suspension at 4,950 miles and a new transmission at 8,400, plus it was in the shop for other issues, paid $28,000 had the car for sale for a year (Garage kept, 8,400 miles). The best offer was $15,000. Will never buy a GM product again. Have a 2004 Pathfinder with 93,000 on it and the only repair to it is brakes. Hate to say but quality is not built into American cars.
    you make a blanket statement on american cars based on one car....a broad brush statement .....we too had an 06 solstice...had it for over 5 years...put 41K on it...had some minor problems..all fixed under warranty to include a new differentail....were you issues fixed under warranty since you had the 5/100k drive train warranty?....I also have two other GM cars which have been flawless less some minor wear and tear items...04 Chevy Malibu Maxx with 185K and a 09 Cadillac CTS with 26K on it...

as for selling the sol...it is certainly a niche car...and most people dont use it as a primary driver...you didnt say what part of the country you are from or when you tried or finally sold the car..in what month....all make a huge difference for a two seat convertible...

again...sorry for the bad owner experience.....most of us enjoyed it while we owned it..and many loyal solstice fans are still out there attending a national meet each year.......