Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Solstice

Comments

• dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    I also live in Houston and for us, its not an option on a car you drive much, but cheers to GM for not loading the car up with crap and letting people order it simple if the want a lighter and simpler car to drive/hot-rod/race. While I'd opt for AC, I might forgo elec windows and some other junk that adds weight.

Adding a turbo or supercharger would be really cool, and the aftermarket would keep you VIN as a non-blown car, making insurance easier to afford. The Ecotech (is that a non-sporty name or what? I can also remember the ill-fated "dual twin cam" V6 which I thought was funny name) is pretty good for hopping up I read.

DD
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Just came from my preferred Pontiac dealer and they have been allocated 5 Solstices from the preliminary order status. They expect them to begin arriving early June. WOO HOO!!
  • mcebmceb Member Posts: 4
    I have a deposit in. I'll be doing the early order program for the first 1000. Those are first come first serve starting on April 15th. Some kind of marketing tie in with The Apprentice TV show on 4/14 too.
  • lurking44lurking44 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I would have put down a deposit for a new Solstice, but my nearest dealer (Farrish Pontiac/GMC in Fairfax, VA) is charging a $1,995 markup on MSRP for the Solstice.

Give me a break. 6-months after initial release they'll be going for MSRP or less, I'll wait 6 months to save 2 grand. The rest of you, good luck.

BTW, got official GM Specs that I haven't seen published elsewhere:

Horsepower: 177 @ 6,600rpm
    Torque: 166 lb-ft @ 4,800rpm
    Head Room: 38.5" (this is awesome as I'm 6'3")
    Shoulder Room: 52.4"
    Leg Room: 42.7"
    Wheels: 18" x 8" (crazy size, but I love it!)
    Fuel Tank cap. : 13.8 gallons

If anyone knows a dealer taking orders at MSRP in Northern VA, let me know. Thanks and enjoy!
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    $19,995 including $575 destination! Awesome. Optional limited slip differential!

• lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    the photo looks pretty darn hot. my first thought while looking at it is "It'll be hell cleaning the smashed, baked bugs off that front end and outta the grill!" small price to pay for a car that looks that good. hope they put a little more hps under it later. i probably won't be trading my eclipse spyder for one until they do!!
    is the above photo the actual production car or is it a prototype that may be changing somewhat? i've seen some pics in car & driver, but it didn't look this sleek and clean. kinda bumpy and bulky like some of the other pontiacs. this looks great!!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Investigate the Pontiac special sold order proccess. First 1,000 cars will be sold at MSRP. Any dealer that participates can earn as many as 5 cars when the order period opens (currently scheduled for APril 15th).
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Ah, but how much does it weigh? 2700 pounds (240SX) = yaaay! 3200 pounds (Cobalt) = yuck!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    It really does. That design is destined to become a classic one, IMO. I have to say I even like that polished Navy Blue color, too!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Nice! Very affordable, C$25,695. I really want to buy one in the next few years.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/050316-1.htm
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I think it weights 2860lb. Rather more than the Miata, but not more than good balance and tuning can deal with.
    BMW Z4.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Interesting...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    From GM Canada website:
    "Modified, supercharged ECOTEC 2.2 L 4-cylinder engine (240 hp)
    Six-speed manual transmission (5th/6th gears overdrive)
    Modified GM delta platform with front engine and rear-wheel drive
    4-wheel independent, strut front suspension
    All steel, unibody chassis
    Saddle brown, leather-trimmed interior surfaces"
    Most of the interest currently is in the first 1,000 early order program. Those cars aren't what you are posting about.

I am sure you will have no problem selling the 4 cars you have available for the model year. Although you have no way of knowing for sure that you are getting them (on other forums it has been posted), Pontiac hasen't announced to dealers how many cars they are getting for the first four months, never mind the whole year.
  • bradkurtzbradkurtz Member Posts: 24
    That picture is the production car, pretty amazing for the price! I will wait until I can pay GM supplier price and use my GM card, but I am getting one of these.

Even if the new Mitata can outhandle it, the Miata doesn't look half this good!
    the Mazda Miata in looks. Not even close IMO. If this Solstice handles well and accelerates reasonably well and reaches racing...I..I mean cruising speed reasonably effortlessly Pontiac should have a hit here.

This is the best looking GM car since the '69 Camaro IMHO.

Oh, it must also hold up mechanically very well. That will be interesting to follow in these forums, eh?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This discussion will move to the Coupes board in a day or so. If you've subscribed to the discussion or have it bookmarked, nothing will change. If you haven't, now's a good time. You can always find it using the search tools at the left.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Pontiac finally has a roadster to offer to the public. Pontiac considers themselves a company that build driving oriented cars, yet they never had a roadster until now. It should have come out long ago, it would have been a hit even then. With the new Solstice, the G6 sedan coupe, convertible, the Montana SV6, and the new Pontiac Torrent, the Pontiac brand shows promise for the future. And to imagine Mr. Lutz considered killing the Pontiac or Buick brand. I do regret the fact that Pontiac killed the Bonneville, now they have no large car.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    My parents have 3 bonnevilles, so I know a fair bit about them. While it was a nice car and the SE/SSE versions handled well (albeit stiffly) the design was not really up to the market competition, and the interior was usually only about 75% "right". The 3.8 motor had its strong points, but was a torque motor that when short-shifted as the trans is want to do, it would have less than great throttle response - unless you used decent amount of throttle. Compare to a spinning import type smaller OHC motor it seemed a bit archaic.

Rather than spend money to update a lower volume car, perhaps it makes sense to have another marque have a big car, like the Chevy Impala and Buick/Caddy. The CTS is nice and RWD, to compete now a days, you need a newer motor and AWD option, nicer interior, etc.

DD

I bet this car will be hot at this year's SEMA show.
    Nice!

Where were those taken? Must be a pre-production test car.
    I think it was NYC.
    be a hit, guys.

What a knockout! :shades:

did everyone see the solstice in the pontiac commercial last night? this was the first time i had seen it in any advertising. it was for the g6 coupe and the solstice - their "soon to be released" vehicles. it does look good!!
    I bet the new Solstice will be the hottest affordable sports car this summer. What do you think?

• gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    The Pontiac Website has more info on the new solstice. The pictures were very impressive. I was shocked to see that the hood and trunk open in reverse. The interior looks stellar esp with the two-tone coloring. I do wish for a turbo option to increase the hp, but if the weight is low enough the eco-tec four should be acceptable at 185 hp. (Don't quote me on that hp number though). I am trying to convince my wife that we should sell her GA and buy this instead since I use the car for simple transportation to work and meetings for myself. Right now she is giving me the wifely glance of disapproval. I will keep trying though. ;)
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    I just saw the Solstice commercial and this car is simply stunning. Even though starting price is just $19,995 I think this car will have a very positive "halo" effect for Pontiac which will equate to more sales of the upcoming GP GXP and G6 coupe as well as the GTO.

Pontiac really needs a true image car and the Solstice certainly provides it. This car can NOT be ignored!!
  • christopher35christopher35 Member Posts: 29
    I am a GM vendor that works in the Wilmington, DE plant where these babies are hand made. Production is just now ramping up to "hand build" each unit. This plant used to be one of the most automated factories in the country. Now many of the Body Robots sit idle as the line workers weld body panels in place on that amazingly compact unibody frame. Since adjusting to their new fabrication methods used to build the Solstice and future Saturn Sky, the build teams are now becoming more proficient in their jobs. This will result in the expected 22 builds/day( two shifts).
    Be prepared for a car that will handle amazingly well- Front & Rear independent suspensions with stabilizing bars front & rear, 4 wheel disks, and those 18's with low profile performance tires!
    I have seen this car on a the street. The Solstice has excellent torque. While driving behind the Solstice a few weeks ago and after a traffic light turned green, it kept pulling away from me as I tried to stay close in my 227 HP Saab 9-2X. The Solstice had two people in it too. The HP/weight ratio was the difference.
    All of the cars I've seen on the assembly line have dual exhausts. I've seen the car with the top up and it looks great. Who knows, if the Solstice clicks, then maybe a T-top will be in the offing.
    I've heard of a possible supercharging for MY '07. So far that's only speculation and chatter among the management folks. Get Ready!
    Are you sure on that build rate? At 22 per day, it would take almost 4 years to build the 20,000 2006 Solstices.
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    No way full up production will be truly hand built. It will most likely be some form of "hand assembled" ala the Corvette. If they are going to make any money on the Solstice / Sky then production will have to be a heck of a lot more than 22 a DAY. As we were told on a recent tour of the Vette plant the only thing actually "made" there is the hydro-formed frame members. Everything else is sourced from vendors and "screwed together" by hand if you will, so to that extent I guess Vettes are "hand built" too. Little automation to be seen at the Vette plant except for some robot welders putting the frame shells together from stampings from outside sources as well.

I have a family member in middle management @ Delphi. I'll ask him what the story is on this. No doubt some pilot production is hands on to verify fit and finish but you can bet @ the level of production they are shooting for will rule out any real hand building.

believer
    Saw an ad in the paper this week taking pre-orders for the Solstice. When was the last time you saw GM taking pre-orders for a car, cool!

I am badly excited about this car even though I can't buy one yet. It gives me hope that GM is slowly turning around.
    It is coming.

Pontiac Solstice

• dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Solstice but...... It needs MORE power!! How about a hopped up V-6???
  • victor6victor6 Member Posts: 7
    Yes! Yes! Yes! They finally got it out!! The American Roadster is back, affordable and within reach of any budget. I love it!!!!! Watch out Miata, watch out Z3, this is Pontiac doing it right!!! The sweet curvy lines, oh man I am drooling on myself. It is a dream come true!!! So cool!! :shades:
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    a ad in Autoweek by a Pontiac dealer is offering "a special opportunity" to custom order one of 5 Solstice roadsters on a first-come, first-serv basis " live the excitement ! delivery dates closing fast" I bet that "opportunity" will be a arm and a leg to live that excitement. looks like the Miata intro all over again. How long do you think it'll be before "Solstice postions, futures" are on E-Bay ? LOL. I wonder if the Solstice will command a $35,000 price tag as did the Miata.

Believer
    According to the ad on "The Apprentice" last night, they started taking orders on the first 1000 limited edition Solstices. The whole show was based on them creating a brochure for the car which will be used.

Anyone order yet?
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    If anyone wants to pre-order the car, go to http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/ and preorder. It's only 1,000 cars, so act fast. ;)
  • sportgtosportgto Member Posts: 14
    the 1,000 pre-orders have all been filled. I believe it took about 30 minutes.
  • saved_rusaved_ru Member Posts: 1
    My brother and I ordered one each. The story from the dealer is that they were allocated five cars. The first five orders will be filled and sold at the sticker price. I have a shot at getting one of the first 1000 because of placing the order at 2pm sharp. I called the dealer at about 4pm and there were only 4 orders placed from their location. My brother who lives in a larger city was unable to get one as the dealerships sold out immediately. He came up to my dealer and got the last one they had to sell.
  • christopher35christopher35 Member Posts: 29
    Sorry for the bogus info on 22 builds a day. That was a short term July to September target. Ultimately the goal will be 100+/day. A third shift will be added, if necessary, to meet demand. If it goes bonkers they will dust off the robots and/ or retool another plant to meet demand.
    Sorry but some things between men & women were meant to be separate. I hope the Solstice does NOT become a chic car like the Miata, BMW z3/z4 and Mustang.
  • joewilkersonjoewilkerson Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a picture of a red one? Where will we Illinois drivers mount the front lisence plate? Joe
    best looking new American car since the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro. This thing is a knockout. I think build quality will be pretty good-it's handmade through part of it's build process. Check out this article on it-it's a well-written article that describes the materials used and build process in pretty fine detail if you're interested.

http://www.ai-online.com/issues/article_detail.asp?id=413

• nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Boy this Pontiac Solstice is so hot I just might trade in my 2004 350Z for it next summer!
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    So, what's wrong with Miata? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    It's a little too feminine! I've never like that car. Too cramped, too slow, basically.... it blows! :D
  • bluebrainedbluebrained Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way golf clubs are going to fit in this car?