Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

1303132333436»

Comments

• Options
    nra1871nra1871 Member Posts: 26
    >my slider didn't leak at all. what year of ranger do you have? is it 4x4? what engine?

Its not a slider, just a solid window. Not a 4x4, 3L pinging engine.

>id really drive a new ranger before you buy any toyota. ford trucks are just over built compared to any tacoma. sit the two side by side. look at frame thickness, driveshaft thickness, axles, etc. the ford is just more heavy duty built and also has more power and torque.

Most likely I'm getting a 4x4 tacoma with the 2.7 4. It's got the same hp (150hp vs 154 for the ranger) and torque (177lb/ft vs 180) as my 6, which isnt saying much for my engine.

>check out a new FX4 Level II. that truck is bad [non-permissible content removed]. and now that toyota is using its same torsen lsd, im sure it's okay now.

At this point Im not concerned about looking bad [non-permissible content removed], I want reliability, something to take me into the woods when I go hunting and fishing, and to haul "stuff" around when I need to. And Id personally rather have a locker I can engage when I want to.
  • Options
    midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Actually, that image is from a truck (or lorrie) for sale, and is not intellectual property of anything. If I take a picture of a ranger, Ford can't sue me.

Notice the subdirectory, USERIMAGES? Have a nice day.
  • Options
    plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    OK, let me PARAPHRASE what the website is saying:

A cross-plane V8 suffers a small degree of end-to-end vibration. It simply uses counter-balances to eliminate the vibration.

A flat-plane V8 is perfectly balanced. It does not suffer from end-to-end vibration.

ALL V6s suffer from end-to-end vibration. A 60 degree V6 suffers from this problem, but not to the extent a 90 degree V6 does. The 90 degree V6 requires a balancing shaft to eliminate the vibration, but at the expense of more inertial resistance.

With that in mind, would it be logical for somebody with their 90 degree V6 to say "who needs a V8 when you have a balanced V6..."? If anything is better balanced, it's the V8, especially in this case.

I like my Tacoma V6 very much, as I'm sure **TBUNDY** likes his Liberty. It just seems I have a little more automotive knowledge than **TBUNDY** and recognize engineering compromises, which is exactly what a V6 is.
  • Options
    The issue is not the balancing, it's that he's got plenty of power with the V6. That's the statement he made, You have made up the rest.
  • Options
    h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    Please explain the picture from your post #1636 from http://jefftaipale.crosswinds.net/tandemtruck.jpg

HAVE THE LAWFUL OWNERS OF THESE IMAGES GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO POST THEM HERE IN EDMUNDS? IF NOT YOU ARE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT LAWS. We can do this all night long. I assure you, I will find more copyright violations in your posts. I will be as persistent with you as you have been with plutonious.

If abiding by copyright laws is as important to you as you have recently demonstrated, why did you not cite the sources of these pictures simply to avoid even the perception of any wrongdoing?
  • Options
    http://jefftaipale.crosswinds.net/ranger.html

In my best Cuba Gooding Jr voice..."Show me the copyright!"

"If abiding by copyright laws is as important to you as you have recently demonstrated, why did you not cite the sources of these pictures simply to avoid even the perception of any wrongdoing?"

Because any novice can right click on the image to find the source. In no way did I represent myself as having created these items. In no way are these items marked as intellectual property of the site I found them on. On none of these sites are there any legal memorandums stating "Do not link to our pictures".

If you re-read my first post on the subject, I merely said to pluto that he should post links to the copyrighted material uses. I was trying to be more helpful than anything, but oh how you guys love to escalate!

We can do this all night, I just ask that you show me proof of copyright infringement before you open your mouth again.

• Options
    I love the third paragraph, it basically covers it all!

http://autozine.kyul.net/Comment.htm
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    When you were a kid did you eat ice cream dipped in paint chips?! I know this sounds difficult but in order to comprehend the meaning of a conversation you must listen (or read in this case) more than just one sentence. Let me help you out. What tbundy is saying is why would someone want a big V-8 that has 200 hp and 300lb-ft of torque ( those are estimates most older V-8's have been modified) when a V-6 is available that is is 1/2 the mass and has comparable power figures, gets better gas mileage and will run with very little vibration due to the engine being properly balanced by engineering the proper size balance shaft.

In post #1756 you state that a V-8 "suffers a small degree of end-to-end vibration" and "simply uses counter-balances to eliminate the vibration."So you know that a V-8 is not perfectly balanced and someone must engineer counter weights to balance the engine, hmmmmm dont they have to do the same to a V-6? The only difference is on a V-6 the counter weights must be bigger. As a result of the processes involved in the manufacture of engines and engine parts it is logical to come to the conclusion that through the use of counter weights that a V-6 engine can be balanced to achieve vibration levels so close to those of a properly balanced V-8 that the difference cannot be felt only measured.
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    that all v6's and v8's suck. Inline 4 cyclinders are the best there is and are the way of the future....
  • Options
    I didn't know **TBUNDY's** Liberty had 300 lb/ft of torque!

I can't make it any simpler:

ALL V6s have end to end vibration. Some vibrate so badly they need a balance shaft.

Many V8s are perfectly balanced. Those that aren't only need counterweights to eliminate end to end vibration.

Overall, V8s are regarded as being naturally balanced, while V6s are not. Many people do not like V6s for this reason.

I think any engineering student would see the folly in making a balance comparison between a 90 degree V6 and a V8 the way **TBUNDY** did.
  • Options
    The problem with arguing with Idiots, is that they first bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Pluto, for the sake of your own public image, please explain how Tbunder said his V6 is better balanced than any V8.
  • Options
    Pretty amusing what happened between you and h0udini, but I bet you won't be violating anymore copyright laws, huh?

That must be embarassing, raising such a ruckus about copyright violations only to find you're guilty too. How does it feel?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Once again, we've gotten into this personal battle.

We don't need to do this anymore.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

This discussion has been closed.