Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW SYN 10W-60 oil for M5

q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
edited March 2014 in BMW
Interesting bulletin that Castrol is NOW making a SPECIAL oil for the M5 and Z8. Sounds like they have a serious problem with the engine.

Comments

• Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    This is OLD,OLD, news. BMW has specified Castrol RS 10W-60 for the M V8 since it was introduced in 1999.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Does the use of a higher weight imply that the tolerances are not as tight, high performace engines sometime opt for oil consumption and power over closer tolerances and manufacturing specs.?????
  • Options
    erniekceterniekcet Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 bmw w/ e46 engine that consumes a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and they said it is normal. Also checked the owners manual and they indicated likewise. Seems like a lot of oil! Has anyone else experience this?
  • Options
    sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    erniekcet - definitely normal. I had a 97 M3 with about the same oil consumption.

1qt per 1K miles will be excessive, unless you race the car.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    no problem but keep monitoring it to see if you notice a marked change in consumption for the worse. If it stays steady for a few oil changes, then that's where the engine has settled in.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Of the six bimmers I've owned since 1983 only one-the wife's 528iA-used essentially no oil between changes. Don't sweat it. Do as Shifty says and keep an eye on it, but I doubt thatbyou'll have any problems.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Especially M-spec engines.

They get Mobil 1 fill from the factory, with I believe no special break-in additives.
  • Options
    joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    BMWs get factory fill with BMW Synthetic made by Castrol.
  • Options
    mbbenzmbbenz Member Posts: 47
    All BMW gets factory filled with Castrol Syntec.
This discussion has been closed.