Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Element

Comments

• Options
    cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    but they plan on 50k a year as I recall. Still, a good number considering there can't be many out there.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    3700 * 12 = 44,400, but they're still ramping up supply so they should meet the 50k sales per year goal. The bigger question is how will it affect CR-V sales. I'm sure Honda wanted 50k incremental sales, but that may be a bit optimistic.

-juice
  • Options
    rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    "Motor Trend" did the comparo between the E and the Aerio in their March issue. "Car and Driver" did a test in their February issue which I found a bit more detailed than the MT test.

Saw my first E on the road yesterday (instead of at the dealer). It was dusk to dark and the brainiac behind the wheel didn't bother to put his lights on.
  • Options
    howieghowieg Member Posts: 3
    We're Baby Boomers who want a vehicle flexible enough to to haul things but don't want a pickup or a big SUV. I've driven the Element (EX auto) and liked it(let's face it, you either like it or you don't.) Power was acceptable but not a rocket. I haven't driven the PT Turbo but I've heard from many sources that the engine is too weak without it. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on comparasion. Also, I am concerned about the comments on the durability of the cladding on the E.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    As I understand it, Honda's original estimate was 40K units per year, with the possibility of producing as many as 50K. I think that is fairly realistic.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The current issua of Car & Driver has a review of the Element. At the end, they have little graphs comparing the Element to the Toyota Matrix, PT Cruiser, and another vehicle. One of the graphs shows acceleration - the PT Cruiser was slower than the tested Element (which I think was a manual transmission) to 60mph. I'm sure the PT Turbo would be a lot quicker.
  • Options
    cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    I don't think there was really that much difference between the two.
  • Options
    The 4th vehicle in C&D's chart is the Forester X. Thing is, it's the only one of the 4 with AWD, so you can't compare the figures directly (0-60, gas mileage, and price would differ).

In fact, too bad C&D didn't test an Element with RT4WD. The Matrix is also available with AWD, but not the PT, of course.

The PT is versatile, but not as large as the Element. A turbo might have some torque steer, especially since it's FWD. Other than that they're cute and interesting.

-juice
  • Options
    philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know how to anchor a bike down WITHOUT taking off the front wheel?? Honda has posted many pictures of this configuration.

I understand that the available Interior Bike Attachment accessory is for those owners who want to remove the front tire(like the Nissan Xterrra).

I'm taking an Element EX 4wd for a couple of hour cruise this week all by lonsome. My salesman really hooked me up. I told him I'm bringing my bikes with me too.

Also, what is the final price discount average on the Elements these days??
  • Options
    howieghowieg Member Posts: 3
    I haven't talked to any dealer that is discounting the Element. Two dealers whose Elements I saw had added several after market products which upped the price considerably.

Does anyone know when side airbags will be available? The brochure just says "delayed" until later in the model year.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Dealer that I purchased my Si from is discounting their Elements. Selling EX 4WD for just under $20,400. Talking to a salesperson that I know at a different dealership told me that their inital Elements sold out very quickly but they now have 5 of them and people are very curious to look at them but no buyers. Was interesting that they said all the buyers of Elements at their dealership had been new Honda owners and not previously purchased any Honda product.
    I wonder if initial demand will continue?
  • Options
    mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    To get installation instructions go to this website:
    www.collegehillshonda.com
    Click on the "Genuine Honda Accesories" link at the top left and then on the next screen pick your car and then it will display links for the interior/exterior/audio/wheel accesories.
    Have fun.
  • Options
    jondavidjondavid Member Posts: 28
    Varmint,
    I saw the link in the CRV vs Escape forum that Baggs posted on CRV sales. Sales in January 03 were down closer to 3000 units than 2000 over January 02 sales or -21%. I was surprised myself. Puzzling.
  • Options
    Maybe Element production is cutting into CR-V production, at least until they ramp up?

-juice
  • Options
    sarahb3sarahb3 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Element (EX, 4wd, automatic) for exactly 2 weeks. I'm taking it slow - only have 280 miles so far. Yesterday I bought my first tank of gas and discovered that I had gone 230 miles on 12 gallons of gas, which is only 19mpg! I've done about 25% highway/75% city driving, but have kept it under 60mph. I've read reports of people getting much better mileage than this on the same model - any ideas of what's up with mine? Should I ask the dealer? Other than that, I LOVE my blue Element! And I'm firmly outside the target demographic - I'm a female in my mid-40's, although have no kids and am still living the "active outdoor" lifestyle (when I'm not trapped in my office!)
    Thanks in advance for any advice you might give!
  • Options
    Don't worry about the first tank. In fact, the first 1000 miles are break-in, and that engine is quite green. I don't think mileage will mean much until you pass 1000 miles, and even then it could improve with age. Hang in there.

-juice
  • Options
    rleirlei Member Posts: 26
    Yup, I won't worry too much about the first few tanks. I got 7km/liter (17mpg?) for my first tank of gas on my 2000 civic (auto), and now it's 11km/liter mixed and 17km/liter pure highway.

BTW, I've been using (mpg * 0.425) for km/liter conversion. Is this correct?
  • Options
    Jondavid - January of last year was one of the first months that the new CR-V was one sale. There was a glut of buyers who were waiting for the new 'V. Add to that this year's introduction of a similar vehicle on the same sales floor and the numbers make sense. Until Honda sales people start dealing on CR-Vs, I don't think we'll see figures like those from last year.

Juice - I don't think it's a ramp up issue. The CR-V is made is Swindon and Sayama. The Element is made in Ohio. Unless there is a shortage of a particular common part (there aren't many), they shouldn't get in the way of each other's supply lines.

Sarah - Here's a third vote for waiting until the engine has been broken in.
  • Options
    sarahb3sarahb3 Member Posts: 4
    rlei, juice, et al: Thanks (or should I say "tanks") for the encouragement re: my Element's mpg. I will try to contain myself until the engine is broken in!
  • Options
    Is this punday night? I thought it was satireday.
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Honda started a CRV assembly line in Taiwan last month , projections are 12000 a year. Maybe some of the engine and transmission went that way.
  • Options
    I stand corrected - I didn't realize the Element was made here in the USA. I figured it would be made in the UK, guess not.

-juice
  • Options
    toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    Go here for the best deals. You can even download instructions to install before purchase.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/
  • Options
    puppy_vaugnpuppy_vaugn Member Posts: 4
    I'm very, very happy. My Element (2WD EX; 5 speed; Shoreline Mist) was delivered on Jan 23. I've got just shy of 600 miles on it (mostly commuting miles) and have filled up the tank twice; been getting about 22 mpg. I've been trying to take pictures of the darned thing, but the weather has been bad or it was too dark for me to get the pictures (I had my bike up on the roof-mounted bike rack, which looked great, but by the time I got back home to take some pictures, it was too dark)...

In regards to the cladding issues that I've been reading about, I haven't seen it. I've taken my finger nails, my wedding ring, etc and tried scratching it (with a medium amount of pressure), and I haven't been able to scratch it at all. It's not as soft as some may lead you to believe....
  • Options
    Congrats, enjoy your new set of wheels.

-juice
  • Options
    I read a post earlier by Shutupanddrive, where (s)he said: "The first Element sold had the side steps added at the request of the owner. Either the buyer was very very short, or they liked the looks, because they seem quite unnecessary."

I also got the side steps, mostly because I liked the way that they looked. However, they also prove useful when loading my bike on the roof-mounted bike rack....
  • Options
    a2000lea2000le Member Posts: 1
    the plastic body panels look blue in pictures but
    gray in person. would anyone shed some light to this? thanks!!!
  • Options
    Those were pre-production pictures.
  • Options
    Yep, they're gray. Too bad, I kind of liked the blue.

-juice
  • Options
    So did I. I didn't want them all to be blue, but would've been nice if the customer could opt for blue or gray. Blue with silver, and I would've loved to see a white Element with blue.
  • Options
    rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    Can plastic cladding of the type used on the Element be painted? I was just talking w/ a friend who may be interested in one as a commercial vehicle - but would want a custom paint job with company graphics, etc.

Perhaps others would prefer color-coordinated cladding as well.
  • Options
    Here's a story from biz.yahoo (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030203/lam072_1.html) dated February 3rd:

TORRANCE, Calif., Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- American Honda posted new records for light truck and total vehicle sales for January, with total vehicle sales of 90,003, up 6 percent from last year's previous record, according to figures released today by American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

From this story, it looks like the Element sold about 3,725 units...
  • Options
    Rob999 - I don't see why not. Most plastics can be painted. Though, if it is a rough surface, the parts will have to be sanded smooth before the paint is applied. That can get pricy.
  • Options
    ssender1ssender1 Member Posts: 28
    Odometer just turned 2,000. Still no rattles, squeaks or other gremlins, electronic or otherwise. Plastic door sill plate seems to be the only area taking a beating (scratches easily). All else is holding up well. I'd buy (and possibly will when the lease on my Volvo S80 is up in July) another one in a heartbeat. Overall combined mileage in the low to mid 20's (I drive 26 miles each way to and from work every day so a lot is highway mileage). Zero oil loss.

New driver's side armrest w/storage installed in 3 minutes 30 seconds- adds additional wider area for driver's arm and allows front passenger to use as well and has storage (flip up lid) but makes it more difficult to fasten seat belt and my 2 y.o. can't walk through from the back seat to the front seat as easily (he likes to pretend he's driving).
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm starting to see spray cans of paint specially formulated for painting plastics at the hardware stores. I've been tempted to get some of that "granite" spray paint for my grunged up plastic bumper covers - a cheap answer to that Rhino stuff, and maybe it'll make the parallel parkers think twice about squeezing me.

Then there's this polymer to look forward to.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    wing_nut_19wing_nut_19 Member Posts: 3
    I had to swerve to miss a truck today and clipped an icy snowbank with the right front of my Element. The cladding cracked and punctured my windshield washer fluid reservoir. New front bumper is in my future.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    that sucks wing. Important thing is that you are OK though.
  • Options
    ropedartropedart Member Posts: 163
    Let us know wingnut how much it costs to replace bumper and labour. I wonder if it is cheaper to replace than if it was painted steel piece. Painting costs so much these days I wonder if the math works out.

You should put the foglights in while you are at it. To put foglights in you have to remove the whole bumper.
  • Options
    I wasn't at the Design Forum in Detroit to hear Schumaker's Element speech but CarDesignNews had this tidbit about Element colours.

Talking about colours, he noted that "Guys say they want funky colours, then go and buy a silver or black Element. But they still want to be able to drive past the dealer to see those orange or yellow Elements to make em feel good!"

What does that mean? There's no point in offering funky colours? Orange is popular. Its true a lot of guys are going for conservative colour choices. Chicken!

I'd like to see a white one now.
  • Options
    jamesshelbyjamesshelby Member Posts: 7
    Every time I test drive an E I get this groovy feeling about what a fun practical and funky beast this would be for me (47yo high school theatre teacher lugging stuff all around). Then I get home and start feeling iffy about the mediocre gas mileage and all the plastic. I would LOVE to drive a hybrid suv... any talk about toyota or honda coming out with one? the prius is pretty damn cool but has none of the practicality and storage that I need.. I want it all... Still the E is, in the moment, a really good drive and a fun strange look. I've got a deposit on a 5sp EX 2wd in silver. As we go into Iraq and the world oil issue comes to the front of my mind, it seems like a strange time to be guzzling gas if I don't have to. Yeah yeah I know it's a matter of compromises, and just try to find a better mileage vehicle that can carry as much etc... anyway I keep going back and forth on the whole thing. I am sure if my old '85 civic would just last another year or two I'd have a few more very attractive gas stingy options... any thoughts?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    If the fuel mileage is the major concern with the element you should consider that fuel cost is a small portion of vehicle cost. An alternative vehicle could be a VW Jetta TDI Wagon which obtains 50 mpg. Purchase price is similar to the Element and it has a longer warranty. Even with double the mileage the difference in fuel cost is only a few hundred dollars a year on average.
    There is no other vehicle that offers the unique styling and function of the Element either.
  • Options
    mid 20's isn't bad for the versatility that the Element offers. Besides think of all the money you will save from not having your interior detailed :).
  • Options
    tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I like the idea of buying a smaller SUV to get better gas mileage and be able to carry large items like a 27in TV. Currently, I have the Element and CR-V in mind (maybe Accord Wagon if there is one coming soon). I would appreciate your opnions in comparing the two? (I did not see an Element vs. CR-V thread.) Thanks!
  • Options
    moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
  • Options
    the CR-V is the more comfortable ride. They have the same engine although the Element is probably geared shorter than the CR-V to compensate for the added weight. They both offer plenty of cargo room. As much as I love the Element it's a little too spartan so I would probably lean towards the CR-V. Now if they put carpet in the Element I would lean back to the Element.
  • Options
    moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    I started this thread almost exactly a year ago (Jan 26 02) and finally got to test drive the E.

Local dealer had three in stock and I drove an EX AWD. I really wanted to like this vehicle; so much utility, so much versatility, so much personality....but our current vehicles; Pilot and 99 Ody are tough acts to follow.

Reports of sluggish auto with AWD are confirmed by my perceptions. Feels slower than my Ody with 4spd auto (205 hp, 4400 lbs). NVH is good but not as good as the Ody which I want to upgrade from. Handling is go-cart like quick...good on center feel on highways but very quick to change direction.

No 2wd 5spd available, but glut of AWDs. In fact dealer had 3 Es up front, 3 Odys, and a Pilot. who knows what was out back. I would like to try the 5spd and salesman wanted me to take it for an hours solo drive later.

Bottom line, not enough power for me. Now leaning to an 03 Accord V6.
    Sigh....:-|

• Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Against a big V6 in the performance area. From an Ody the Element is not an upgrade. You went in expecting too much from the thing.
  • Options
    tomguinesstomguiness Member Posts: 20
    Just locked up an E at $500 over tissue(dealer invoice) Black 4wd EX. $ 20,222.00 I thought that was reasonable Sticker was 21,310.00
    He showed me dealer invoice. The next day the dealer was running an ad, they had 1 @19,999.00.
    I figure that one is always "sold" by the time you get into the dealer.
    They are willing to deal now, but I don't see them doing it much longer, they had plenty of people there checking it out.
    This was the only vehicle I would buy in it's first year of production, I trust Honda.
    By the way that price was in NYC.
  • Options
    That's a good price for an EX. My local dealer had a DX that cost around the same.
  • Options
    What do mean you're leaning towards a Accord? You started this forum. LOL

I know the frustration though. I figure things are not going to change too fast on the Element. I see no power coming in the horizon. You want peppy get the manual. That's it.

I just got the Canadian brochure and it simply states the 4WD MT is not available period. We won't be getting that manual. You want the sunroof you must get the 4WD and AT. Typical Honda and others. To get to the Sunroof you must get everything else. Which makes me think do I want peppy or do I want convenience? Need to talk to the wife she doesn't drive stick.

I'm frustrated but I wanted to buy the car and see what happens in the future and trade in when things are improved. Acura RDX a ways in the future and probably expensive. So I am concerned with future resale value. I willing to put up some small first year problems unless they really affect resale value. Will others be willing to buy my problems. For example how will that cladding age?

I think I'm like chris777. My head is spinning around different vehicles. The CRV, Xterra, Land Rover Disco, Mazda MPV, Suzuki XL7, Mits Outlander, Escape, VW Eurovan, etc. I like the Element mainly because I'm bored.