Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    varmint: Pilot looks to be a serious contender. I saw one in person at the NY show and I was even more impressed after seeing it in person.

OK, one nit-pick: it could use bigger rims/tires.

Denise: yes, you have to open the front door first. The rear door is clever, though, and hides its hinges. The pockets in the front door allow you to stuff, say, a wet bathing suit in there, and they have drain holes for the water. Lots of clever touches like that.

Nav at that price? Doubt it. You could always add one aftermarket, many people do.

Model X was the concept, the Element is the production version. Actually, what we saw in NY was a pre-production version, but that's closer to how it'll really look.

-juice
  • denise31denise31 Member Posts: 21
    i got the information on the navigation system for the 2003 honda element (model x ) at www.hondacars.com/modelx/pressrelease2.html

Interior features include a flip-up navigation screen with integrated wireless Internet capability, video input and DVD playback. The stereo system incudes MP3 download and playback capability, along with satellite radio, cassette and CD player
    cross your fingers let's hope that all of these things are still there at the release date!!!!
    Oh well, even if they are not there, thanks for the info.....let's still continue to share updates.
    Really? Wow. I bet it's not included for $21k, then again I've been wrong before.

-juice
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Does anyone know the exterior and interior dimensions of the Element? Let me know, thanks.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Bigdaddycoats - Honda hasn't released dimensions, yet.

Ropedart - You may be right about the moonroof. The concept car was supposed to be part dorm room after all. Of course, it'll only work with the windows tinted.

The rear facing front seat was a feature on the concept vehicle. The front and back of the back rests were both padded and the whole thing pivoted on a joint mounted to the floor. This allowed the seat cushion to stay in place, while the seat back folded forward. Then the seat could be used in reverse. It did not make production. Note the difference between the Model X and the Element.

• moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    ropedart:
    Thanks for the dims, ehh! Translated to 'American' below:

"I would like to know also but Model X was according to motorshow.or.jp in mm."
    ..................ELEMENT......CRV
    L=4085mm..=...160.83in....178.6in
    W=1810....=.....71.26........70.2
    H=1800....=.....70.87........66.2
    wb=259....=....102..........103.1
    "These are quite close to CRV dimensions as it has same mechs. Except X is 500mm shorter. Mag-X accurately predicted AWD CRV mechs."

Glad to see greater width and height, but disappointed at shorter wheelbase and length. Even with these dimension, looks like Element may be similar volume to CR-V. I was hoping for the 'Stream' 106in wheelbase. Oh well, we shall see.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Unless there is a typo, 160" isn't very close to 178.6". That's a world of difference, as there should be.
    I'm sure you meant beach balls, right? This is a family site. ;-)

I saw it in person and it certainly didn't look like it was 160" long. I would have noticed such an enormous difference. I bet Mag X missed the mark this time, it's probably more like 175".

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, missed that! (gone now ).

Carry on...

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • ropedartropedart Member Posts: 163
    Sorry about the language (U can imagine the forums I have read that are really bad). But what I meant was the concept of the Element rear moonroof was to enable men to change their bathing suits standing up without offending anyone. I cannot see putting a surfboard up thru without creating a lot of drag. I think the concept of a front to back open roof would be cool. But it would probably fail impact tests. Nothing to stop aftermarketers like Westfalia.
    OK the Element is shorter due to short overhangs. I was hoping for more but being cheaper than the CRV you would cannibalize CRV sales if it was as big. I was impressed by the cargo space of the new CRV. My son can stand in the back. I thought of putting one of those aftermarket jumpseats in for my kids. I got this idea when everyone says that the Suzuki XL7, Honda Pilot, etc. have third row seats good only for children. Why don't I put one in my self. These jumpseats are available for Xterra and Escape/Tribute etc.
    You're not going to get good crash protection back there, so I'd leave it for cargo. Pick a Pilot or an Ody for hauling lots of kids, they'll be far more comfy.

-juice
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I wouldn't recommend the seats, either. That's why Isuzu's Trooper comes with a 3rd row in other countries but not in the U.S., because they don't have soccer moms tailgating them in Ford Excursions.
    My intention was to use the jump seat on a temp basis.
    I think the Pilot is dull if not ugly. Even the front end of the new CRV does not appeal to me.

If you put a bush bar on the front of the Element I think it would macho it up. There is a little too much Honda trapezoid approach to the headlights. Accessory people are u writing this down?
    I only wish the new CRV looked more like the Land Rover Freelander. Very popular in Europe. I like the front end. I like the stepped roof like the Xterra for stadium seating and cargo. And real AWD. But the CRV is not so I am leaning towards an Element to make a lifestyle statement.LOL
    repedart:
    I think you are in the target demographics. Interesting how different rationale can arrive at the same conclusion.

"Element.ary my dear Watson"

"In every job that must be done, there is an Element of fun......."
    My wife test drove a CR-V yesterday, and interestingly, I think the Element might address the weaknesses of that car.

First, she wants a lift gate rather than a door, for shelter from rain. It also wouldn't block the curb when you parallel park.

Second, with the stroller inside, there wasn't room behind it to lay the baby down for a quick diaper change. I'm not sure if the Element's cargo area is any bigger, though.

Finally, the price is a bit high. $22k for a manual EX, and they're selling near MSRP still. Element would top out at $21k. Delete the automatic, and we're talking $20k. That's value.

Only problem: we can't wait long. Hurry it up guys!

-juice
    Juice - Your first issue may not be addressed. The lift-gate is actually more like a clam shell. So the top part of the gate isn't very big and she'll have to stand behind the lower half (rather than under the top). It would only work if she doesn't open the lower half.
    IMO the Pilot and CRV are bland and ugly. I actually like the look of the Ford Escape. Lots of Power and Lots of Problems. How can Ford ever live it down?

I hope the Element kind of bombs at first so I can pay much less than sticker and have choice of models and colors. I want to wait for Ohio to learn how to build these things properly and sort out any early recalls. About this time next year should be good time to pick one up.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Comparatively low production numbers and mostly positive reaction so far. It's even going outside its target demographics. I am 31 and married and think this is a pretty cool vehicle.
    Honda marketing has us all fooled. It is not marketed at Gen Y but Gen Y wannabees. It will cross demographics. A lot of Gen Ys will hate it. A lot will like it.
    Particularly after the dot.com crash and 9/11, luxury SUVs seem garish-a contradiction. Bushwack with a Silver X7? The BMW and Merc Suvs are embarrasing. Except the Merc G-500 a classic.
    But a Honda Elements seems just right. The image of frugality and functionality.
    I like the Element's styling, but I do think they need to lessen the amount of plastic cladding on the front.
    Well according to Edmunds they sold 876,716 Ford F-Series trucks in 2000. Is that a beautiful vehicle? Also 800,000+ Chevrolet Silverados. As trucks go the Element is on par. Ironic that the Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari box vans end production this year just when that style is coming back. Another strike for GM marketing. Good for Honda.
    I always admired Honda with not doing a lot of silly and impossible conceptual cars for autoshows. They seem to me to do less concepts than other makers and actually deliver real products like the Civic Hybrid. The Model X concept style seemed very conservative to critics but it went straight into production. They walk the talk.
    One thing that is better on the Element than the CRV and other Suvs is the spare tire mounting. Does everyone know that when you have a spare mounted on the rear door and you get hit from behind the damage is huge? Thousands of dollars worth of damage(to door, hinges, frame, latches etc). I do not know if the Element was part of CRV engineering but the CRV has under that picnic table a space for a small spare tire. This is where the Element will have the spare.
    If I had a SUV with a door mounted spare I would put it on my roof or inside.
    Recent Edmund's video of Element:

http://www.edmunds.com/video/honda.html#element

Again, and knowing height of Element is about 6'-0", and CR-V is about 5'-6", Element looks longer/larger than CR-V. This video, especially side views of moving Element, sure do make it look like a stretched CRV platform, and a practical utility vehicle.

Walked up to a CR-V yesterday and being able to look over the vehicle greatly reduces its apparent size (I'm 6'-0"). Still strikes me as small...I know, I know, very large inside, rivaling Highlander. Still hoping for Stream wheelbase...106".
  • whatever_7whatever_7 Member Posts: 13
    Honda need to put a big freaking emblem to this baby! Like escalade big.

You know sooner or later some guy is going to hang a mailbox outside its back door...

"dude, where is my car"
    Thanks for the video. For some reason the cargo space behind the seats seems bigger than in the pictures I've seen. I'll have to see it in person.

Given the styling on this rig, I forsee a huge aftermarket following. It'll take a significant number of sales, though. Folks might have to make due with products from other Hondas for the first few years.
    I emailed Jackson Racing and they do not plan a supercharger kit for the Honda 2.4L :-[
    They did have one for the 2.0L CR-V.
    Hmm, varmint, I wonder how much longer the upper half of the lift gate would be, vs. the lower portion. We had to change a diaper in pouring rain on Saturday so already this was an issue.

My best quote on a CR-V EX manual was $21,500, better than TMV but could be even better.

We ended up buying a Legacy L wagon 5 speed for $17,827 last Friday, with options being keyless entry and carpeted mats. Even though it's the entry level model it comes with 4 disc brakes, ABS, A/C, power everything, and cruise, all the basics.

No moonroof, but I was quoted $895 for an ASC roof with one touch open/close and lifetime warranty, plus it's 17"x30", fairly big.

Element could appeal to bargain hunters, too.

-juice
    Moonkat - I'm not surprized. While there were people in the market trying to up the HP of the original CR-V, most were not willing to pay $4-5K for it. When the V6 competition started to show up, the demand for more power dropped even further. Now, with the 2.4 under the hood, most people are satisfied with the stock output. No blower necessary.

Juice - Congrats on the new wheels. Add some leather to the seats and a few custom accessories and the Legacy can be spruced up quite nicely.
  • dralstldralstl Member Posts: 7
    I am almost 70, retired, in good health. I bike, hike, camp & kayak. The Element seems to be an ideal second vehicle for my wife and me. We now own a Honda Odyssey (for her) and a Jeep Wrangler (for me). The Element will give us/me the cargo capacity I need for my outdoor gear. There must be many "active seniors" like me who will also be attracted to this common sense and versatile vehicle. I hope they reinstall the open rear roof. I want to be able to transport my 12' folding kayak (Folbot)without disassembling it all the time. I can hardly wait until December so I can trade in my Jeep for an Element.
    It's for active people! Way to go dralstl !-)
  • dralstldralstl Member Posts: 7
    Where are the cupholders?
    On the floor, next to the e-brake.

I'm in the demographic, and I would like my beverages within arm reach, thank you.
    Diploid - I guess you'll have to buy an Aztek. =)
    Judging by the forums there is 10x the interest in the Pilot and CRVs. There seems to be a lot of pent up demand. The Element though, looks like a wait and see situation. People have to see it to believe it. I should would like to see one and grasp the scale of this thing. This is hard to do on a monitor or a piece of paper. I am sure it is bigger than I think and smaller than I think. The Edmunds video seems to suggest a big vehicle. In sunlight, the hood shows better off better detailing than I thought was there. The two tone scheme is awkward. I would put that CRV side cladding on. Yes, I am one of those guys that likes side cladding because I hate door dings.
    You're supposed to use your hydration packs that you've already acquired for your active life-style !-)

Pilot forum is only busy with newbies asking questions already discussed in that topic. I think the CR-V and Element topics may eventually blend together (after production) what with the common underpinnings.

ropedart: I just want to know the wheelbase, and track dimensions. That would answer my questions of size. As for color scheme, I think it is unique, functional and not unattractive. I say functional cause it enables production/finish of body panels independent of appearance. That's got to be a cost saver for production and maintenance.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    and made the rear seats removable. Not a major complaint here, but when those seats are up you create some blind spots back there. I know that's what side mirrors are for, but with removable seats there is no problem and a larger cargo box. Hopefully the bolts holding the seats to the wall are exposed and easy to remove.
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    I'll take the flexibilty of being able to move the rear seats out of the way without having to find a place to store them. Very cool when you impulsively buy something big, like a new TV or, er, a folding kayak.

Our Odyssey has the magic 3rd seat and it's great. There when you need it, gone when you don't and stowable 100 miles from home.

Besides, most folks will probably spend 90% of the time with the seats down. If that's not you, get those little stick-on curved mirrors for your rearviews and drive it like a van. Most people (including my mother) can adapt to driving-by-mirrors rather quickly.

-jim
    Thanks, varm. I found out my dept was imploding and started a job search Monday within the company, so the budget buy turned out to be the smart one. I pretty much have a job lined up already, but it was still scary - new car and a baby due in July!

Leather? No. She likes the soft cloth. Her bottom is extremely sensitive now, a 7 months pregnant. She sat in a leather Benz and found it too hard!

Moonroof maybe, but I'll wait until the dust settles at the new job.

On the folding seat - the catch with the Odyssey is if you have 3 kids, you can't fold the seat because seating capacity drops to 4. So for road trips with lots of cargo, you can't fold it. A split fold would be truly magical.

-juice
    While I'm not for the removable seats, I would've preferred them to fold down and not onto the sides. They don't even have to fold down like the Ody's 3rd row, they can even fold forward. But to the sides?
    I think they wanted to fit bikes inside, in an upright position. So length was more important than width, perhaps?

-juice
    We know they fold back. How about how much forward? Then front seats can be used as chairs to seat yourself backwards and face your guests. Wasn't that the idea.

I took my sons to the local car show. They had so much fun playing in the RVs and campers. For them to play in an Element would be so cool. Especially with the seats up and they can walk around. This would be great while waiting around.
    ropedart:
    While Element will not have the changeable forward-backward facing seats of the Model-X, Honda already has rotating front seats for handicapped accessibility. The images/articles I've seen show a driver's seat rotate 90 degrees to enable hc individual seat then rotate to drive. Shouldn't be much more difficult to engineer 180 degree rotation! Big question is if this can be included in Element budget.

This again changes Element demographics, as this capability would likely make the Element the most handicapped friendly production vehicle. I can see the hc person wheeling up to the Element; position themselves on the rotated driver's seat; lift the wheelchair into the open area behind the driver's seat; close the doors; and drive off. Cool!
    I imagine the greatest hurdle for rotating seats is the side airbag in the front seats. I do not think Honda wants people to mess around with it and the seat. In the old days, there were a lot of rotating captains chairs in vans. I do not know what has happened with those chairs lately.

Actually moonkat, wouldn't you wheel the wheelchair into the back up a ramp(with the seats up!) Clamp the wheelchair down. Pull the ramp. Close the doors. Then work your way through the front seat pass thru to the front. A 180 drivers chair would be nice for this situation I agree.
    The Element looks extremely versatile so maybe the aftermarket could step in and offer things like that. The huge opening means almost anything could climb in.

-juice
    The 1st generation JDM CR-V has a rotating front seat. Dunno about the 2002 models. It can be turned a full 180 degrees to face the back of the vehicle. It's possible that the Element could do the same, but I'm sure we'd have seen pics of it by now.

The seats from the Model X were reversible, but the Element has a different configuration.
    A new picture...rear 3/4 view with gate up, hatch open. Again looks bigger than CR_V...wheels/tires look good, & larger than...you know...

http://www.hondacars.com/theelement/index.html?show=intro