Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here (retired discussion, please see the new one)

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    How do you explain the price dropping from $21 per barrel in 1996 to $10 per barrel in 1999? Or how about an inflation adjusted price of $97.50 per barrel in 1979 all the back down to $10 per barrel. If what you are saying is true these BIG OIL countries would have kept the price high forever by just pumping enough to keep the demand high. Your economics defy logic. Who drops the price of anything? It is controlled by demand, only when the supply meets the demand does the price start down. Current price $59.96 down close to $6 from the high of $66.06.

I am not so naive as to think the executives at BP or Exxon are soft. Neither is Bill Gates or Larry Ellison. If anyone has a monopoly, as you suggest, it is Bill Gates. You should worry more about Wal-Mart and the Chinese products than the oil companies. Our trade deficit with China is about double that or our oil import deficit.

Oil price history
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Bill Gates and Wal-Mart doesn't sell us anything we absolutely have to have in order to survive.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Prices are rising because there is more money available. Especially US $.

Let's just call it "inflation". US is partially fueling higher prices because of Government and Trade deficits. It's a flood of money spreading all over the world. Gov't price indices just don't show it.

I hear that Newark, NJ. has lowest prices on gas today. Avg. $2.15/gal. Doesn't NJ have "full service" stations, instead of "pump it yourself"?
    How does a deficit fuel higher prices? That makes no sense.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Sunoco at Rhawn and Verree in NE Philly:
    Regular = $2.24
    Silver = $2.34
    Super = $2.44
    Ultra = $2.54
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Much cheaper gas across the bridge, $2.33 in several places vs. $2.55 in Potomac. :(

-juice
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I caught a brief news story last night on public radio that quoted Lundberg as saying that the seasonal increase in driving (Spring Break is almost upon us) combined with new government fuel formulation requirements would result in additional inceases over the next few weeks.

I believe the seasonal driving thing... more RVs and vehicles towing boats on the road this weekend.

james
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...I actually log into my credit card website to make sure I can afford a tankful.

My usual Sunoco truck stop, Palisades Park NJ

87 - $2.139
    89 - $2.239
    93 - $2.299
    94 - $2.339
    diesel - $2.419

kcram - Pickups Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    2.49x x=9.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Wil posted : " Let's just call it "inflation". US is partially fueling higher prices because Trade and Government deficits. It's a flood of money spreading all over the world. "

Lots of money going out and not much coming in. Credit needed. If currency drops in value then it is easier to repay debts. Drops in currency value usually mean increase in prices.

It's just a partial answer...to a compley question on why prices rise for oil....not the total answer.....
    There's seems to be pat excuse for every season, it's the excuses for the in between times I can't wait to hear; it's a full moon, the groundhog saw his shadow, it's that time of the month for Hillary, etc.......
    Believe what you want. I believe prices are going up.

james
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    the local Citgo was at $2.319 for 87, while the Shell is at $2.399. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that they were down to around $2.15-$2.20.

On a happier note, this winter's been so mild that even though home heating oil has shot up, I think my total bill for this winter is going to be about what it was last year! :shades: FWIW I paid $1.74/gal last year. This year, when they filled up in December it was $2.54/gal and a few weeks ago was $2.64/gal. I thought about converting to a heat pump, but then I hear that electricity in these parts is going to jump 40-80% this summer! :cry:
    Oh, I believe prices are going up, I just don't believe there's any reason for them to go up except for greed.
    I guess the price will stop going up when everybody's out of money.
    That's a simple way to look at it, and almost half right. Fear and greed are the primary motivators of a commodity market. But it's a more complex issue than that.

Just wait until the supply and demand curves cross. Can we say $100+ per barrel?

james
    While it will be painful for the consumer along the way, I hope big oil prices themselves right out of business!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I passed the Shell station first and saw that 87 is now up to $2.449. So when I came to the Citgo and saw that it was still at $2.319, I pulled off and filled up. The low fuel light had just come on, so I figured I'd do it then, instead of waiting till morning.

Also interestingly, my fuel economy for this past tank was something like 22.6 mpg. The tank before was around 19.5. I did a little more highway driving, but also balanced it out abusing the car in DC stop and go driving, almost getting smeared by a metro bus, etc. That tank before may have still been the oxygenated stuff though, which I think they quit selling around here at the end of February. So that may be part of it.
    Gasoline prices shot up nine cents overnight! It was $2.26 for Sunoco Regular last night, now it's $2.35! Ultra is $2.63! Do they know I've been driving the Seville this week and fell like hitting me up for Ultra? Guess I'll be going back to the old Park Ave until this nonsense blows over. If it gets ridiculous, I'll leave the cars at home and take the Nikes or Neoplan.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    10 cent bump here today as well, up to $2.45 for 87
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Central VA: Hess went up to $2.39 overnight for 87.

Sheetz and Exxon had the same price. I gassed up at the nearby Shell, which is a little slower to act, paid $2.29.

Is there a hurricane somewhere? Stock market doesn't seem to notice.
    There have been more stories on the radio news the last few days about gas prices and how they EXPECT them to be higher this summer. That's the ONLY thing I see that's driving this right now.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    2.43 for 87, .10 higher increments for other grades. I've lost track of how many times it has changed this week. At least 2x per day.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

....dime this AM. That's right, price yourselves out of business.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    To $2.45 for 87 (central VA)

Just as I said yesterday, the Shell I used last evening raised their prices a dime, to $2.39.
  • 2zmax2zmax Member Posts: 140
    The summer is coming! Let the price gauging begin!
    I think that once the gas hits 2.50/gal for 87 and stays there, the new Tahoes will be selling for $10,000 off MSRP again ;) So GM might as well declare that bankruptcy now.
    I am still waiting for reprisals against the Big oil :mad:
    I guess the eggheads on Wall Street think that we have bottomless pockets like they do – we’ll find out this summer, when 1/3 of the country doesn’t take that summer drive vacation.
    Gas pricing is a compromise. The conservatives want it to be kept where the American public can afford the big dollar SUVs. The Liberals want gas to be $5 per gallon (per Al Gore) so we will all ride the bus or get a Yugo. I don't think the gas price is anywhere near to causing a budget crunch in most households. My water bill is higher than my gas for my cars.
    I don't think we are at the point where it is a budget crisis for most households, but it will make many people pause and think when vacation time comes around and they are budgeting how much to spend.

I think there is a real risk of people sticking closer to home rather than loading everyone up in the Suburban for a 700 mile jaunt to Disney.

With prices the way they are this week, I will go back to post Katrina driving behavior: Combining trips, leaving the SUV in the garage and cut out unnecessary "sightseeing" trips.

It used to be the summer price hikes started Memorial Day weekend. This year and last year they began in March. Next year will they start in Feb or Jan?
    It jumped 4 cents overnight again! Sunoco Regular is now $2.39! I guess it's time to break out the Nikes!
    Our regular unleaded gas prices have remained stable the last 2 weeks. Cheapest is $2.48 and the high end dropped to $2.89. The Chevron that was $2.94 is now $2.74.

The pricing has shifted to a different area of metro San Diego.

Is there anyway to figure what is going on?

It is not high enough to impact traffic. It is more congested now than ever. No good time of day to run errands.
    The big oil has spent the last 12 month, trying to condition us to higher gas prices.
    Now that we’re ready and most people would say that at the present levels the gas prices do not affect them the BIG oil will stick it to us good. BOHICA guys!
    While lots of folks are struggling with their heating bills, the Big oil is planning on the next rip-off scam.
    What’s the next hurricane name again? Let’s see, shall we:
    The summer driving season is approaching cha-ching (hits the register) the hurricane season is approaching – cha-ching twice! The unstable situation in the middle east with Iran threatening us with a nuke – cha-ching!, ding, ding, ding – Jackpot! :cry:
    I say that by July the gas will be $3.00/gal or more.
    Good time to sell that SUV and trade it on a Prius (Just kidding) :P
    I wish I could bike to work, but there are no housing projects close to where I work.
    Plus I travel a lot, so I need a good and reliable car.
    I guess I am screwed. :sick:
    I wish I knew. It has jumped at least once a day here, sometimes twice in the same day.

...I live close enough to work that I can walk or take the bus. There's something to be said for living in the city! I could stand to lose a few of those winter pounds anyway.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    For 86' octane. Ahhhhhhhhhh :surprise: I have 2 refinery's (Valero, Phillips) within 30 miles of my house and I have to pay $2.49 a gallon *GULP* :cry:

Rocky
    ....to get in an uproar about prices again. It seems like when enough people get pi$$ed enough, prices go back down. Let's hope we don't wait until gas hits $3 a gallon again before we start making a lot of noise.
    I agree, but what is a realistic measure of protest? These e mails that come out now and say 'Don't buy gas this Tuesday' etc are not realistic. Face it, if you need gas, you buy it. No matter the price.

Take public transport? All in favor of it, but not an option where I live.

Telecommute? Absolutely and may pursue this one with my boss at least a few days a week. But for many, many others its just not possible.

Ditch SUV's and pick ups? Free country man, you can drive what you want to drive. Besides most of us, myself included, would take a bath in resale as we're upside down or locked into leases.

Conserve? This one has the most legs. At the current prices and continuing upward trend, I'll leave the SUV at home, combine trips, watch my driving style and generally think about every trip I need to make (necessary or not).

Not going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things but if others have the same thought process demand will go down slightly, I'm afraid we're getting to the point where prices won't go down accordingly.

Let's see which oil company posts record profits this quarter.

....the most impact is made when much attention is drawn to prices through media avenues such as when Bill O'Reilly starts ragging on big oil for gouging. This tends to stur up the public anger and is usually reflected at the pumps......then it all dies down and whole cycle starts all over again. It's now time to start the anger. Conservation is also a good route to take, but only so much of that can be accomplished.
    I think one thing that is different from years past. Production would get cut back when demand would slow. I think most of the world production is at near capacity. China and India are buying even at current high prices. I think prices will come down a bit. But probably not like 10 years ago. I still think $40 oil is feasible.
    I still think $40 oil is feasible.

I think that $100 oil is far more likely. The prez is now talking preemptive strike policy and Iran confrontation in the same breath. Someone is likely to punish us for our (administration's) arrogance.

james
    to use alternate sources of energy, which seems to be science fiction so far, the Oil will never be $40/barrel unless there is a major recession here in the US.
    Of course at that point we'll all be standing in a line, so we won't care about the gas prices ;)
    Would you rather let Iran have their yellow cake and for us to eat it too?
    We'll see how arrogant you'll get when the islamists will smuggle a baby nuke.
    I would gladly pay 3.00/gallon knowing that Iran is but a big glass parking lot.
    I agree. We can't just sit back and wait for something catastrophic to happen before we act.
    Randy Newman, "Political Science"

No one likes us-I don't know why
    We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
    But all around, even our old friends put us down
    Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful?
    No, they're spiteful and they're hateful
    They don't respect us-so let's surprise them
    We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old
    Africa is far too hot
    And Canada's too cold
    And South America stole our name
    Let's drop the big one
    There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia
    Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo
    We'll build an All American amusement park there
    They got surfin', too

Boom goes London and boom Paris
    More room for you and more room for me
    And every city the whole world round
    Will just be another American town
    Oh, how peaceful it will be
    We'll set everybody free
    You'll wear a Japanese kimono
    And there'll be Italian shoes for me

They all hate us anyhow
    So let's drop the big one now
    Let's drop the big one now
    The reason I am thinking $40 oil is likely. The oil producers do not want to shut down the economy that will pay big bucks for their oil. Several good reasons not to mention their huge investment in the USA. Canada is liking the windfall also. I would think the Saudi oil barons would rather we keep driving the big SUVs than buying Toyota Prii. They probably have a large interest in the banks that finance the Big 3. It is a balancing act for them.

PS
    I'm with you on keeping Iran in our sights.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Yesterday on a trip from Columbus to Akron I paid $2.44 per gallon for regular. Today the price is $2.66 across the region.
    That's a BIG part of the problem. Even if more oil gets pumped out of the ground, there's no place to refine it since we've spent 25 years or so NOT building refinery capacity in somebody's backyard or where the lefthanded, northfacing turbosnail won't have their sleeping habits disturbed ;)

That's why even the THREAT of disruption in production facilities gets us a spike in prices at the pump now.
    We are running on the ragged edge of our gasoline supply. I wonder where the legislation to build more refineries is hung up. Would be interesting to know who wants more and who don't.
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    We are running on the ragged edge of our gasoline supply. I wonder where the legislation to build more refineries is hung up. Would be interesting to know who wants more and who don't.
    Look to the Democrats. I believe that all tree huggers vote democrat. They blocked the National Energy policy from 2001 until very recently and I believe that you still cannot drill in ANWAR. Better to save a few Polar Bears than the entire country.
    Drilling in ANWR would not affect the Polar Bears. There is no logical reason to not get the oil that is there. The main opponents are clueless about what is there. I know I have been all over that country for the last 25 years. I was there when Jimmy Carter came up and went fishing. That was when he passed his magic wand and tied up the large reserves. There is some interesting history to that region. Ike was instrumental in bringing ANWR to the forefront in 1956. Long before the Left grabbed it as a political tool. To bad the progressive party is so regressive.
This discussion has been closed.