Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chev 2500HD or Ford F350

jrs400fjrs400f Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I can't decide what to buy, the chevy 2500HD with the 8.1, or the Ford F350 with the V10. I have heard pro's and con's to both. The chevy is claimed to have more horsepower and tourque. I need to pull a 16 foot enclosed trailer, and a fairly heavy bobcat. What is the better truck?

Comments

• mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Why on earth would you compare a 3/4 ton Chevy to a 1 ton Ford??? That's like comparing an S-10 to the 2500HD. Go with the Ford. It's built heavier in every way.
  • jrs400fjrs400f Member Posts: 9
    Because the 2500HD is the heaviest built truck Chevy makes with out getting a dooley. The 2500HD is not to far off the payload and GVWR of the F350. So no it's not like comparing an S-10.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    isnt the 2500HD basically a 1 ton but badged a 3/4 ton?
    Ford 350 ext cab 4wd to 2500HD ext cab 4wd

Ford is on the left and chevy on the right
    FORD CHEVY
    Base Price MSRP 32605 34388
    Destination Charge 740 720
    Performance Performance
    Manual Transmission standard
    Automatic Transmission optional standard
    Power Steering standard standard
    Extended Service Interval standard standard
    4 Wheel ABS Brakes standard standard
    4-Wheel Drive standard standard
    Front Suspension rigid independent
    Rear Suspension rigid rigid
    Stabilizer Bar standard standard
    Transfer Case standard standard
    8-Cylinder Engine standard standard
    10-Cylinder Engine optional
    Engine Name 5.4L V8 6.0L V8
    Horsepower @ RPM 260 @ 4500 300 @ 4400
    Torque @ RPM 350 @ 2500 360 @ 4000
    Displacement (cc) 5408 5965
    Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.55 X 4.16 4 X 3.62
    Compression Ratio 9 9.4
    Brakes Disc Brakes Disc Brakes
    Driveline four wheel drive - part time four wheel drive - part time
    Steering Type recirculating ball recirculating ball
    Steering Diameter (Left) 51.9 46.8
    Steering Diameter (Right) 51.9 46.8
    Fuel Type unleaded unleaded
    Fuel System sequential electronic fuel injected sequential electronic fuel injected
    Warranty Warranty
    Basic Months 36 36
    Basic Miles 36000 36000
    Powertrain Months 36 36
    Powertrain Miles 36000 36000
    Corrosion Perforation Months 60 72
    Corrosion Perforation Miles UNLIMITED 100000
    Dimensions, Weights, Capacities Dimensions, Weights, Capacities
    Doors(standard) 4 4
    Doors Maximum 4 4
    Standard Seating 6 5
    Maximum Seating 6 5
    Optional Seating 5 Data Not Available
    Wheelbase (in.) 141.8 143.5
    Standard GVWR (lbs.) 9900 9200
    Maximum GVWR (lbs.) 9900 9200
    Track Width Front (in.) 68.4 68.6
    Track Width Rear (in.) 68.1 66
    Fuel Capacity (gal.) 29 26
    Front Head Room (in.) 41.4 41
    Second Row Head Room (in.) 38.5 38.4
    Front Leg Room (in.) 40.7 41.3
    Second Row Leg Room (in.) 32.4 33.7
    Front Shoulder Room (in.) 68 65.2
    Second Row Shoulder Room (in.) 68 66.3
    Front Hip Room (in.) 67.4 61.4
    Second Row Hip Room (in.) 67.3 61.5
    Length (in.) 231.4 227.7
    Width (in.) 79.9 79.7
    Height (in.) 80.7 76.2
    Bedlength 82.4 78.7
    Bedwidth Wall 63.9 64.8
    Bedwidth Wheel 50.9 50
    Bed Height 20 19.5
    i guess if you go by

GVWR (lbs.) 9900 9200

ford out does chevy by 700
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I didn't realize Chevy only offers the 3500 with duals. I have not verified the numbers posted by "ryanbab", but it seems you get more for your money with the Ford. Other than the load ratings, the only real differences I see are in the engine. But even there, real truck guys know horsepower doesn't mean squat when you've got 10,000lbs behind you on a long uphill grade. The torque ratings are nearly identical, but the Chevy's torque doesn't peak until 4,000 rpm while the Ford's peaks at 2,500 rpm. When was the last time you ran down the road at 65 mph with the engine spinning 4,000 rpm's? The standard Ford engine may be smaller, but it has more usable power and coupled with the manual tranny, Chevy appears to not even offer one, you'll do more work and it will last longer. Again, I have not verified "ryanbab's" post, I am assuming it is correct.

I've owned three GMC's over the course of my relatively short life, and I can tell you from experience, the F-350 is by far the heaviest built truck I have ever owned.
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    As you said the peak torque for the Chevy is at 4000, you may want to consider how flat the torque curve is over the entire RPM spectrum. I believe the torque curve for these Chevy engines are quite flat providing the truck with more range to work in. You may want to compare both trucks in a real world example versus a number on paper.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Possibly that difference is suspension? No specs here but the Ford is straight axle where the Chev is independant. Would stand to reason the straight might add a few pounds being that's it's really a differential. Anyway, just a thought.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    We've been comparing the wrong engines.The original post was about ford V10 vs Chevy 8.1 V8.
    Ford 6.8 V10 310hp @ 4250/425lb torque @ 3250
    Chev 8.1 V8 340 hp @ 4200/455lb torque @ 3200
    The torque curve is flatter on the Chevy so it FEELS more powerfull than the numbers indicate.I test drove each at least 3 times before buying my Sierra 2500HD and chose the GMC for the power and comfort,but the Ford is very capable and many consider it to be a better work truck.The Ford gets better gas mileage(or so I've read).I get about 11 at 75 mph and 13.3 was my best at 65.They both get about 7 1/2 to 8 towing 9000 lb.Gm's 2500 and 3500 are the same truck except for the dually.My advice would be ,drive both ,see if you can get someone to let you tow with both,then buy the one YOU LIKE the best cuz they will both do the job.
    kip
  • mtnlakemtnlake Member Posts: 2
    Well there's a proud Ford owner talking. Actually you can tell a Ford owner, they are the ones that buy just because of a name. As the thread shows Ford actually loses in every way except because it is a Ford. Actually the first Ford truck that can compare to the Gross Vehicle Weight of a 2500 HD is the F550. The Chevy 2500 HD has a 22,000 GVW Ford 19,000 then the F550 goes to 22,000. The only way to get a Ford to come close to 2500 HD specs is to start with the F350. I did about 6 months of comparing, comfort spec, talking with owners, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics. I choose the 2500 HD because of it's specs and comfort. When I pull my 11,000 LB hard side I easily pass every Ford and Dodge on the hill towing half the trailer. So far my only limitation on power is how much I want to spend on gas. If I want 8.5 GPM I go 65, If I Want 6.5 GPM I go 75. I have gone over the Eisenhower, 7% grades and a few short 9% and haven't slowed down yet. I have the 2500HD regular cab, 4x4 long bed, and 8.1 with the Allison.

By the way the only difference between the 2500HD and the 3500 HD is the 3500 has one extra leaf and a 2-leaf overload and Duels. But don't get confused the 2500 and the 2500 HD aren't even in the same class.

Also look at the Power break booster (PTO off the Power steering not vacuum) and emissions requirements the 2500 HD, 3500 HD are in a commercial class where Ford doesn't start that until the F450 class. Mae sure you compare Apples to Apples on specs not 3/4 ton vs 1 ton.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    First off the correct term would be GCVWR or CGVWR not "Gross vehicle weight." There is a HUGE difference.

Second, all the Ford Super Duties(250/350) are at 20,000 CGVWR, not 19,000.

Third, the F550 GCVWR is 30,000 POUNDS!!!!! The F450 is 26,000 pounds.

Lastly, the emissions does go by the GVW and anything over 8600(8800?) pounds is in the same class. The 2500/3500HD has the same emission standards as a 250/350.

My '97 Cobra uses a hydra boost for the brakes...it must be in the same emissions class as a 1 ton truck. LMAO!!!

As far as research, Truck trend had the Ford outperforming the GM empty and the GM winning by a few seconds up a hill while towing.

Pop. mech. has the Ford winning both loaded and empty.

I guess it's a proud Chevy owner who can mess up numbers so badly..LOL!!!
    modvptnl,

You are right in these two magazine articles posted. However they also mentioned when towing that the Ford was in a much lower gear and the transmission constantly gear hunted. Climbing a hill, the V10 was producing much higher engine RPMs to do the same work as the 8.1. The 8.1 required little effort to pull the same load as V10.
  • mtnlakemtnlake Member Posts: 2
    I took the specs off of the Ford web site as I wrote the comment. And I am looking right now at the Motor Trend and Pop Mech where I got my info. Must be different years you are looking at and definitely a different web site.

Oh well I know what I have and what I am reading and I still out pull other makes, I have never been passed. So you can talk gear rotios and specs all day 2500 HD stll out pulls.
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    Thats funny, when I look out my window at work I see a '99 Forde F350 and a '01 Chev 2500HD. I have been pulling max GCVW loads with the Ford for three years and 160k miles. The Chev is a year old with 40k on it. The Chevy should pull better but, in the real world the Ford kills it. I have even had an engineer from Allison Trans mission here trying to figure out why my Chev is such a pooch. Out here in the real world pulling real loads the Ford out pulls every day. No blind brand loyalty here, before the Ford I had a Dodge. I look around and buy what is claimed to be the best each time. So far I've been lied to by Dodge and GM, the Ford however works.
    V12power, I too own a 2500HD D/A and pull a loaded 36' Montana trailer. This is a very big trailer both in size and weight. However I have never had the trailer weighed, however empty the tag indicates 10000 pounds and gross is 14K. When I do pull this trailer it is far from empty yet the D/A has no problem pulling it even up the steepest grades with eagerness to continue to accelerate. This experience is similar to others with their towing stories.

Perhaps your scenario is different from mine. But I think both trucks are capable of towing very large loads with little difficulty.
    I am glad you are happy with your truck. Do you have both to compare them back to back with identical loads on identical roads ? I do, that is how I know for a fact which truck is the better workhorse. In your case the truck probably sees more daily transport duties than hard work, am I correct? Under duress I assure you that the Ford is the stronger truck. Yes they will both pull big loads. Some of the things that make the Ford better out of the box include, decent shock aborbers, decent trailer tow mirrors, proper sized tires, better ground clearance, the list goes on. In each catagory Chevy has chosen to lean towards carlike features. When i buy a truck labled heavy Duty or Super Duty, that is what I want. Chevy chooses to pander to 1/2 ton owners.

As for similar experiences, I had an Allison engineer come and ride in my truck. He admitted that the truck is falling short of its promise. They are out constantly trying to get these things to pull as to not sully their reputation. BTW my Ford has 160k miles on it and still shames the Chev with 40k.
    My truck is used for camping and transportation. When I am not hauling my trailer, truck is used to transport my family. Pretty much 50/50. I would not want to pull that size trailer all the time. However for very long hauls the truck serves its purpose for both power and comfort.

I do have a friend who owns a 2001 Ford 350 PS. He likes it however he has tried my truck and was amazed with the power and smooth behavior of the D/A.

Last summer he used his truck to pull a 36' Prowler across the US. He was pleased with how his truck ran although he did have to get the transmission replaced. Thankfully Ford addressed the issue on the road and him and his family could get back safely.

After hearing your story, you would not happen to be Trussman who has posted on another website?
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Chalk one up for the allison.....which I believe is the best auto available right now.

Mtnlake, please post your source. You still aren't trying to say the Gm's have a 22,000 GVW or the Fords have a 19K GVW are you?? I have the Truck Trend here with the performance figures I posted(no mention of the hunting in that article)Never saw a MT camparo.

My specs on ford GVWR/CGVWR come from fordtruckenthusiasts site, which seems to be down right now. If you get on just click to specifications and find the F250-750 spec sheets....You'll learn quite a bit.
    Yep, I am not going back though. The moderator hit me up to pay to use the site and suspended my posting.VERY TACKY ploy.

If you followed the story, I had allison look at the truck. The latest is that they are trying to push a fix through GM right now. I am far from the only one having trouble. Hopefully it will make a difference.
    Gee from what I read, Big Al was doing you a favor in trying to get your rig set up right. In addition, the folks on that web site were eager to hear what the outcome would be.

From what I gathered from the posts though, it was the transmission and the down shift that gave you the most problem. The Duramax was very capable.

I did not know that there was some price to pay for all this.

I was also wondering what happened to your situation after not hearing from you for a while.
    Big Al was great, he must have some serious connections. The guy from Allison said the word came from high above him to look at my truck. I feel that the site is kind of a community. I frequent several other vehicle specific sites and have never been asked to pay to participate. Especially when I see ad banners on the site that I know contribute to the coffers. I am very greatful for the help, but the webmaster is not truely responsible for what happened. One day my password was no longer good. At the same time I received requests from them to become a paying member. I emailed to see if the I had been banned due to not buying a membership. The guy walzted around it saying he would appreciate me becoming a paying member. He did not even have the cajones to admit he cut me off because I didn't pay.

It is pretty sad because if this does work out I would like to share it. But to have to pay for the privalige to help out rubs me wrong. When something happens I will come back temporarily under a new username and fill everybody in.
    Trussman, I was just visiting the diesel page and they had some discussion on the down shift problem that you have faced when towing your truck. Apparently someone fired off a tip that may solve your problem.

Here is what they posted as a solution:

"just a few comments I would like to add! at just about 2/3 of the way to full trottle is max power.the last 1/3 is to tell the trans to down shift.(APP)also if you turn on the cruise and set it to well below your driveing speed like 35 on the high way and drive with your foot at 75 it will almost never downshift!"

Thanks to mark45678. Check out the topic "Allison shiftiness when towing" for the remainder of the discussion. However it seems that others have found this technique to work with success.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.