Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Cobra and SVT Cobra

Comments

• texaszachtexaszach Member Posts: 119
    One of my customers is in top level management of the number 2 volume Ford dealership in the nation. I've purchased several trucks from him including the '01 Supercrew currently residing in my garage. This particular dealership happens to be SVT certified. I spoke with him yesterday regarding the new snake. Their allotment of '03 Cobras is a total of 6. They have a waiting list for these cars despite a rumored premium of $10,000 above MSRP at their dealership.

In my opinion, Ford could choose to limit production on the Mach 1 as well, which will result in customers paying MSRP or above. Hopefully, the unvieling at the N.Y. Auto Show this week will shed some light on production numbers. I was leaning toward purchasing a new Mach 1, as the last one I purchased new was in 1973. It would be cool to buy another one 30 years later!

There is no doubt that I'm a Ford fan, but what really chaps me is that the blue oval guys choose to limit production on the pinnacle of their horsepower offerings while GM does not. The rival cars which Ford is targeting are readily available to the masses. I can understand Ford limiting production of the upcoming GT40, but have never understood this approach on the Cobra.

While exclusivity may build excitement, it can also build resentment from the premiums being charged. Of course we all have the right to vote with our wallet and refuse to pay "the market adjustment" premium.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I doubt if Ford's suppliers can make too many more than 10,000.
    Thats 10,000 superchargers, intercoolers, hoods, etc.
    SLP doesn't mnake 10,000 SS's and Chevy held back on the first year of Impala SS's due to suppliers unable to make that many sets of wheels.
    The story is in from the NY Auto Show, good article on blueovalnews.com. The Mach 1 production will be 6,500 units. The new Mach will revive the shaker hood scoop design which made the 1969 Mach 1 unique and like it's predecessor, the scoop will be functional. Horsepower is rated at 300 on the new Mach. With production numbers this low, a new GT is looking better all the time.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=11508
  • ccasey2ccasey2 Member Posts: 2
    I don't typically follow trends in rebates, incentives, etc.... Does anyone have any thoughts on whether introduction of the 2003 Cobra will put downward pressure on prices for new GTs. I see that ford is currently offering a 1500 rebate but the program ends soon.....future?

Also, how "real" are some of the predictions about dealers pricing Cobras ~10k above MSRP (and lack of availability). I could probably be convinced to go 35k for a top of the line mustang.....but mid-40s...that seems pretty steep. Of course, my only experience with mustangs was my sisters '77 (4 cyl) which was a dog and I had a '79 5Lit. Capri when I was a teen(which moved pretty good) but fell apart when it hit 85000 miles.

Sorry for the "wandering" nature of the post but some you folks seem pretty knowledgable about these cars.
  • in_sa_nein_sa_ne Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I am currently a Cobra owner and it is an awesome driving machine. Yes, I am biased. But if you drove one you would know why.

This is the true American car.

The 03 Cobra is expected to be a BIG hit. This car is already fully loaded, the only option available for upgrade is chrome rims. Everything else is standard on this car.

The average dealer mark up is around 2-5k above MSRP. Although I really want to get in to this car I will not pay the mark up. I think the price will come down. In comparison to Vette, this car is in a totally different class.

The Vette is a sport car, the Cobra is a muscle car. Sure the Cobra may keep up, but that is not Ford's intent. The only reason people are comparing these cars together are because of the hiatus of the Camaro and the Firebird.
  • speculativespeculative Member Posts: 36
    I think that no matter what the curent cobra is fat fat fat, I dont care if it has close to 400hp, it is overweight. Wait for the next mustang instead.
    The current incentives on Mustangs have nothing to do with the upcoming release of the limited production Cobra. GM, Ford, and Chrysler are offering incentives to boost sales, which has consistently been the case in our post "September 11" economy.
  • blingbling2003blingbling2003 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone I'm new but i thought I'd share this info, seeing as I'm in the market to buy a 2003 Cobra and I just got a quote from th dealer 1000 below sticker or about around 33500 before tax of course. Just thought this would be helpful since I've been reading a lot of posts claiming that sales wouldn't budge on the price. Also the number they gave me of cobras produced for 2003 is 5200, that's it.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    That's a rather impressive hp-per-dollar ratio.
  • madmax9madmax9 Member Posts: 8
    I never noticed it before - you are correct -$87 bucks per horse! That is very impressive.
  • blingbling2003blingbling2003 Member Posts: 3
    And I just checked it out in Beverly Hills and they won't budge much below $5000 above sticker, some sales people can be morons. And that quote was from down in San Diego
  • jacuzzjacuzz Member Posts: 3
    I have owned many automobiles, I well appreciate the engineering marvel of them all, yes some were problematic,I personally have never owned a Toyota,or Nissan, the only foreign cars I have driven are Mazda and Hyundai,Chevys, Fords, Chrysler and Jeeps I have had quite a few and currently have Jeeps and my newest Baby the SVT Cobra 2003.

My 93 Chevy s-10 4x 4 pick up has 120,000 miles and runs well.

I loved my 68 327 camaro and had a 90 RS that was a lemon. My 95 thunderbird was great, of all my cars the fords were the most reliable. Chevy and Chrysler in that order the worst. drove the heck out of my Hyundais, with minor problems.

There was only two cars I really felt bad about selling that was my first Camaro and my T-bird.

Earlier this year I purchased a Mustang-gt premium coupe-automatic,what a Great car.It far surpassed any other car I owned.

But along came the 2003 Cobra, one test drive and I was
    impressed. I agonized over taking a beating on the GT on Trade, but folks let me tell you-for me The Cobra is phenomenal. Yes we all read about the specs and the comparisons. But I feel it all boils down to the individual response to the vehicle.

My dark shadow Gray cobra is a magnificent automoble.To me it handles and accelerates with authority and precision.

People who know me will say in a few years he will
    get another car, but as of now of any car I have
    driven or owned, I like to think this one is a keeper.

It has all the feel of what a performance car should be. It is so much different then a GT-mustang. I plan to drive about 5 thousand miles a year in this car. I also feel this vehicle can be driven just like any other Factory performance car.( The side to side handling is outstanding)

Yes it is high performance,the cab is not like a sedan and the clutch is glunky and a little hard to shift, but the more you drive the car
    the more second nature it becomes, and all of sudden it can be a car you do not want to stop driving. The sixth gear has value especially when your touring.

To each there own but for me,yes $36,000 is a lot for even for me, but I do not think I WILL HAVE ANY REGRETS.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    When is Ford USA going to quit this mess? They don't seem to have these problems over-seas. (Of course their offerings abroad are not as archaic as what is offered here)
  • demonspeeddemonspeed Member Posts: 75
    Welcome Back '99
  • jacuzzjacuzz Member Posts: 3
    Talked to SVT folks at ford today--all is well with the Cobra's all cars built and held were released.

Production has resumed.

It seems a dealer bulletin on Quality CONTROL CHECK POINTS was confusing.

No engine issues at this time---the engines have been performing well. They will build 2003 models until August 2003-( 10,000 to 12,000).

Cobra certificates will be issued October 2003.
  • novoqnovoq Member Posts: 26
  • coolsly2coolsly2 Member Posts: 25
    Anybody went on the track and got some results with their 2003? I have a 2002 Z06 right now and sold it and may re-consider buying another Mustang. I had a 1999 Cobra, planning a 2003. Don't know if I should wait for the 2004 Cobra or the 2004 S4. Btw, what I dislike in my 1999 Cobra is that when you were flooring it on bad surface, the end was "jumping", was it solved in the IRS of the 2003 Cobra?

What do you guys think...

Sylvain :)
  • graynylonsgraynylons Member Posts: 3
    I talked to a dealer in N. Calif. the other day and he said that there was a hold back on the Cobras because of a problem with the superchargers. Am I getting smoked? Anyone got the straight scoop?
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    it was so they could retool for a shipment to Japan but that was just some smuck on a message board.
    Does anyone have this snake? I was wondering what kind of feedback you got on how you and others like the color? I think it's HOT!!!
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Reminds me of the old "grabber" colors of the 1970s.

Looks pretty good, though to me Sonic Blue is more "musclecar" than "road racer" (I personally like Cobras in subdued colors that match its purposeful, "function over form" styling...how many other performance cars allow you to delete the spoiler if you want?)

Of course, I'm biased...I own and love a True Blue GT.

-John
  • morekmorek Member Posts: 1
    I recently got 2003 Cobra.It definetly does worth 34 K what I paid for it .The only thing what I am concern about is T56 tranny.In 1-2 gear when you drive really slow and RPMs are around 1 - 1,5 there is a crisping noise when you are gradually accelerate.The noise comes not really from underneath of the car , but below the 12V power outlet.Also when you shift ,it shifts with clapping sound sometimes.Any feedback ? Tnx to all
  • fish69fish69 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the same clunking sound in my car as well. Any feedback would be great!! Thanks.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    The crisping noise sounds like something might be burning up inside your 12V power outlet. I would check it out if I were you.
  • xbamxxbamx Member Posts: 2
    ford is aware of that problem and fixing it right now, so i assume they will have a mini-recall to fix the stiff clutch and clunky shifting
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    In post #71, Sylvain said he sold his ZO6. I am wondering why.

Thank you!
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    About 40,000 miles ago, my 95 Firebird Formula with the T56 started making what I called a transmission noise while using 1st or 2nd gear at low RPMs. I've heard others on Edmunds refer to this noise as if marbles were loose in the transmission. As soon as I bring the RPMs up a bit, the noise stops. The car has approximately 110,000 miles on it and it did not make this noise until about 70,000 miles. I wonder if this is the same noise as referred to in the posts above. I've heard that the T56 just makes this noise and it is not a problem. Still, I wonder what the noise is and what it would take to fix it.
    Hey Guys,
    Is $37,750 a good price for this snake? I live in N. Cal. Which color looks sexy?
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    What for a coupe? no droptop yes
  • msennettmsennett Member Posts: 1
    I have a gas guzzler tax question for anyone that can help me be better educated. I am going to negotiate a purchase price for a 2003 Cobra tomorrow. The dealer (very friendly person) faxed me the window sticker. The numbers matched exactly with Edmunds. However...the dealer's window sticker has a $1,000.00 gas guzzler tax. This price is not specifically mentioned by Edmunds. Consequently, I am now unsure about my offer. Here's a little background about my car buying record: I have never paid over invoice for any new car I have purchased. This includes the 2002 Acura TL type S and the 2001 Maxima 20th Anniversary Edition that I have bought in the past. I wish to offer the invoice price for the Cobra, but I'm not sure if Edmunds includes the $1,000.00 gas guzzler tax. Can anyone help me with this matter. Thank you! Max
  • intellimaticintellimatic Member Posts: 2
    If you go to the link:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6197.pdf

You see that the IRS charges the dealers the 1000 dollars for a cobra. The posted gas milage on a cobra is 22 miles per gallon. If it were 22.5 you would not have to pay anything.
  • bxd20bxd20 Member Posts: 68
    Will the 2003 SVT Cobra be carried over into 2004 ? I am NOT talking about the next generation Mustang Cobra, I know that is years off.

What do you people think of the collectability of the 2003 Cobra? I like it a lot - I also like the way the next generation is looking. Part of me thinks that the 2003 Cobra will hold its value and become a collector car whereas the 2005 GT will suffer from high production numbers. Initially they may be pricey, but I'd guess that 10-15 years down the road the 2003 Cobra will be worth a much higher percentage of its original sticker than the 2005 GT. Opinions??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's a supply and demand thing rather than the rarity that determines value in the future. People have to WANT it. Some very very rare cars aren't worth much.

High horsepower and good styling, added to rarity, would help but for American cars, it has to be really really rare and really really powerful and really really desirable to bring serious money.

Probably it'll be a "second tier" collectible but I doubt it's going to see Mopar Hemi money in our lifetimes.

But you know, you never know. I never thought anyone would pay $15,000 for a Delorean, but it has happened.
    Shifty, how 'bout those "classic" late '70s Mustang 2 Cobras then? ; )
  • mmaximus1mmaximus1 Member Posts: 9
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think any car made in the late 70s is doomed to extinction, except forthe few that are never driven or damaged; otherwise, not worth saving in dollar terms I mean.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic :)
  • intellimaticintellimatic Member Posts: 2
    I would guess that after the payback from re-engineering the cobra in 2003 ford would consider changing the body style to match that of the new GT (2005?). However they would need to entice you to spend an extra 6 or 10k to move up from GT to Cobra. I would suspect that ford would use some of the engineering and motor part which came from the GT40 development. The move to a cobra would include a larger size displacement and other engineering benefits derived from the GT40. Two body styles would probably be too expensive for Ford. Best guess 2007.
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    What are you talking about? The Cobra sharing platforms with the Ford GT(40)? Um, NO.
    I don't think that's so far-fetched what he said..."larger size displacement and other engineering benefits derived from the GT40." That's not the same as "platform" as I understand it...
    Yeah, but he also talks about changing the bodystyle of the Cobra to the GT. You can't just take a Cobra based on the Mustang platform and slap a GT body on it. He also says it'd be too expensive to have two bodystyles. The Cobra doesn't have its own bodystyle. Larger displacement wouldn't come from the GT either. They've already made 5.4 Mustangs (00 Cobra R), and they've already got a 5.0 DOHC crate motor. Any increase in engine displacement would come from those two sources, not the Ford GT. Basically, his post makes no sense.
    Actually I think it's partially Ford's fault...it can get pretty confusing when discussing the forthcoming supercar when Mustangs are around... : )

I assumed that when referring the the "GT" he meant the Mustang GT (since he does seperately refer to the GT40 in other parts).

I still think Ford should have called it the "GT44"...I was also in favor of Chrysler calling the turbo PT-Cruiser model the "GT Cruiser"...shows what I know.
    Yeah, I thought of that also, but it still doesn't really make any sense. Of course the Cobra is going to be using the same bodystyle as the new Mustang GT. They always have. Pointing that out is like pointing out that grass is green. And the other points still hold true, any increase in displacement is going to come from the GT(40), and I don't really think theres going to by much, if any, trickle down engineering from the GT(40). The new 40 certainly uses a lot of design and production tricks (The "plastic" forming of the body panels, roll bonded floor panels, friction stir welding, etc), but they're either too expensive or geared toward a car thats composed almost entirely of aluminum, or both, to be used in the Mustang platform.
  • leftywaynleftywayn Member Posts: 15
    According to SVT, the next generation Cobra will be a 2006 m/y. Very little other information is available. One must assume though that it will have at least 400 HP.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I test drove a new 03 convertible yesterday and I am rather disappointed with this car. First, there was marked shaking and vibration in the car, supposedly because the tires had flatspots in them because the car sat for some time (this is the dealer's explanation). The clutch is really stiff and very sensitive on engagement - the engine stalled on me twice before I got moving (I have been driving manual transmission cars and trucks for years so no problem with competence here). The shifter was notchy and would get some getting used to. It seems that it is easy to miss the intended gear until you really get used to the shifter. the top was already showing signs of malfunction when I tried to open it and close it. It could be just the switch, but who knows.

Concerning the vibration, there is little excuse for this. I have also test driven new BMW 540i 6 speed which too has been sitting for some time and no vibration on that one. They are willing to sell the Cobra for $ 35K even. I would probably buy it if it were not for the vibration, which is in my estimation a bad omen. I had horrible experience with a 85 Mustang GT with vibration. It too had initial vibration which was eliminated by the dealer, but it came back with a vengeance after I bought the car and nobody could get rid of it. I simply do not need a muscle car that lacks refinement. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • love_2_drivelove_2_drive Member Posts: 5
    I looked at (didn't drive) the 2004 Cobra and the dealer told me it would be the last one released for a while. He didn't know when production would resume, but I am guessing a year or so after the 2005 mustang debuts. My only complaint with the 2004 Cobra is that they have not changed the styling much since 1994 inside, and that it doesn't seem very refined for a car built in such limited production. I just hope SVT stays far away from the GT40 when it redesigns the next cobra.
  • leftywaynleftywayn Member Posts: 15
    QUOTE.."The clutch is really stiff and very sensitive on engagement - the engine stalled on me twice before I got moving (I have been driving manual transmission cars and trucks for years so no problem with competence here). The shifter was notchy and would get some getting used to. It seems that it is easy to miss the intended gear until you really get used to the shifter. the top was already showing signs of malfunction when I tried to open it and close it. It could be just the switch, but who knows."

I suggest you buy the BMW then. When one buy's a Mustang GT, or Cobra (I have an '01 Cobra) you're buying performance for dollar, not a high expectation of refinement. Stalling out a v8 Mustang, that's nothing unusual for a first time driver. Vibration.. my car is actually quite smooth, a blast to drive, in spite of the lack of refinement.
  • mike342mike342 Member Posts: 15
    Recently purchased a new 03 Cobra. I'm considering installing Bassani's Aft Cat "Quiet Thunder exhaust sytem. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has installed same. Specifically, is there a significant difference in tone compared to the stock system?
    Have you tried stangnet yet? (I can't give you the exact link due to Edmunds' policies, but you can figure it out...) It's a wealth of information, and I'm sure people have described the system/it's sound and operation in detail.

There's also a review section where people post reviews of products, so that might be of use.
  • mustang_svtmustang_svt Member Posts: 23
    Can anyone tell me if clicking in the steering is a known problem with '03 Cobras? I've got an '03 and at 6000 miles I took it into the dealer for a clicking sound when I cranked the wheel to the right. They claimed to have applied lube to moving parts inside the steering column - never heard that one before but I'm no mechanic. In any event, the problem disappeared. At 12,000 I started hearing the subtle beginnings of the problem coming back but, too subtle for the dealer - got the infamous "can't duplicate the problem." Pulled it out during a mild spell in mid-winter and it was clicking like a !@#$%$#. Pulled it out for the season a couple of weeks ago and still clicking quite loudly. Took it to the dealer this morning, pulled it inside, service writer gets in and cranks the wheel all over the map without a peep!!!! The lengths some cars will go to make me a liar! :-| It was definitely clicking when I backed out of the garage and I'm not sure when during the drive that it settled down. Anyway, am I the only lucky one out here or has anyone else experienced this? I know it's just a matter of a few days before it comes back and I'll have something for the dealer to listen to. It was raining on the drive this morning and I think 10 miles of wet driving was enough to temporarily quiet down the racket.

Any input is appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.