Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your S-10!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owners Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owners Clubs

Comments

• jjstokes0430jjstokes0430 Member Posts: 16
    Hello Karen,
    I would like to know if GMC Sonoma owners are also welcome or do you want to restrict this to just Chevrolet. jjstokes0430@hotmail.com
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    What kind of Sonoma do you have? Have a 2002 S-10 Crew Cab, and it is Sandalwood Metallic in color.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Of course, you're welcome! The way the clubs are set up is awkward for vehicles with shared platforms, but I'm not sure how to remedy the situation.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    Thanks Karen. I have a 2000 SLS 4 cyl 5 speed. Nothing fancy., Tilt,cruise, CD player, full gage cluster and ZQ8 sport suspension pkg. Black, short bed regular cab. I wanted a grocery getter type vehicle that I could sit up in and carry an occasional sack of lawn seed etc. I have a 4 piece folding cover on the bed and this truck suits me so far. My only concern is the transmission is noisy in neutral with your foot off the clutch and the engine running. Dealer says it is normal..Still under warranty so I am watching it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is the 4 piece folding cover the one that is offered by GMC/Chevy dealers? What is it made out of? Does it have tracks along the bed rails? Does it require drilling to install? Does it lock the tailgate? How do you like it? How much did it cost?
  • pziggypziggy Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I just took delivery on our 2002 Crew Cab 1 1/2 weeks ago..ours is Forest Green..We just love it..
    Hello Moparbad,
    Regarding the folding cover on my Sonoma. It is made of a double layer of aluminum with styrofoam in between. The side rails are attached with double sided molding tape. The only necessary holes are two in the tailgate to mount the lock striker. It does lock the tailgate as well. It is water resistant but not guaranteed water proof. Water will get in my bed through the gaps between the side of the tailgate and the bed. It was made by Fold A Cover and sold through my GM dealer as a GM accesory.
  • scoops2scoops2 Member Posts: 4
    pziggy I was wondering if you've had any problems with your gas gauge when it gets below 1/2 tank, we have a 2001 and I've had the truck in the garage at least 10 times and now GM says thats the nature of the truck. I wouldn't have leased the truck if I knew it had a problem like this. I'm going to fight them on this one, already contacting the BBB.
  • pziggypziggy Member Posts: 7
    I have been monitoring the posts on the Gas Gauge problem, but as of now I have not noticed mine having the problem. I will monitor mine though to see if it does act up. What is happening with yours so I can see if mine does it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • gv1200gv1200 Member Posts: 1
    First an intro.
    I saw the 1996 S-10 pickup at the Auto Show in Feb. I saw the third door on the extended cab and said I have to have that truck. They started producing that model in June of 96. I bought mine off the lot July 5, 1996 two weeks after it came off the line. 88,000 miles on it and have not regreted my purchase once.
    Since I have owned mine I have had four friends and a brother-in-law buy the S-10 because it is a great vehicle.
    One of my buds is a GM mechanic(one of the best,even if he rides a Harley). I find out all the running problems with the Chevys. There is no gage problem that we have heard of. Fuel pump yes but no gauge problem.
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    I work for the Air Force, drive about 20-25 miles each way to work, will soon move to the country, and do some light to medium hauling with my truck (lumber, concrete, plywood for weekend projects). I've also added a power sunroof and electric seat to mine. The sunroof allows me to enjoy the Texas sky while not missing my convertible too much, and the electric seat allows my wife (5'1") to be able to move the seat up enough to enjoy driving the truck.

Great truck would be an understatement. I used to trade cars and trucks every year or so, but I've had this one two years and just added a 6 year 100K miles Warranty Gold contract on it. I expect to have it at least that long--will be great to have it paid for, under warranty, know it is dependable, and won't leave me stranded somewhere. No big problems, but several small ones ($200 here, $300 there) all covered under the new GM warranty. I like to keep mine as close to new and in perfect running condition, so I expect I will get about a 2-for-1 payback on the warranty between now (32K mmiles) and 100K miles.

To anyone considering buying a Chevy S-10 or GMC Sonoma, two words: DO IT!! My personal recommendation is to go for the V-6, extended cab with third door and automatic.

These trucks are very dependable, have great rebates on them now, and will have good parts availability for years to come. When the new Chevy Colorado comes out to replace the S-10, you can expect a 5-15% price increase and no rebates for a year or two. That means the Colorado will easily be $5K-7K more expensive than a comparable S-10. And, we all know what can happen with new models, new engines and new transmissions.

Joe
  • susannmarksusannmark Member Posts: 1
    Other than a single off-road adventure (what a blast), we've had nothing but heart-aches with our 2001 S10 ZR2 (extended cab). We've had it a little over a year putting ~11,000 miles on it. Here's our gripe list:
    1) The throttle stuck so they replaced the intake.
    2) Why didn't we notice that it didn't have a recirculation setting? We live in LA and the fumes kill us whenever/wherever we drive.
    3) Fuel gauge calibration is off even after we've taken it in to be 'fixed' several times. When the fuel light goes on there's still 6 gallons in there.
    4) The Max AC doesn't work.
    5) Lots of squeaking in the cabin, especially around the third door.
    6) The first bedliner didn't fit right. And the second one that we had them put in rattles.
    7) Scratches on rooftop from shipment.
    8) Floormats don't fit and are wearing terribly.
    9) When the mechanics replaced sending unit within fuel tank, they didn't put it in right. 10,000 miles later the truck stalled on a busy freeway as we were hauling a small boat...with gas spraying everywhere. Luckily no one was injured!
    I miss our Toyota!
  • alloveritalloverit Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I just bought a 2002 S-10 crew cab 4X4 , Indigo blue yesterday in Germany from an american dealer. My wife and I are pumped! We don't pick up for 60 days. I know this model comes with many standard goodies, but am not sure if it comes with the "Bed liner" as standard. Any one know? Great write up "MOPARBAD". We're stoked!
  • alloveritalloverit Member Posts: 2
    We have to wait a couple of months till our truck is delivered..so we are looking for any pics of the crew cab 4X4 to have as wallpaper, any one with pics? We would appreciate it!
    Alloverit~
  • thelmastoreythelmastorey Member Posts: 1
    My daughter is an attorney whose client owns a 2000 S10. How many compartments are in the console? Her client says there are two, that the police say there are three, the police say they did not have to rip apart the console to find the cash and wiring under the console. Client says they ripped the whole thing out to expose the wiring etc. Before I go to a used car lot for pictures, etc. thought I would ask an owner what they looked like and how they were set up. Thanks for your time. Thelma
  • len_zingerlen_zinger Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 chev s10, inherited it from my father. It has a 4.3 engine, and a 3.08 gear ratio, with 47,000 kms. I am trying to find out if I can reasonably pull an RV trailer. I believe the truck is rated to pull up to 5400 lbs, but I'm wondering what the real situation is. I'm looking at an RV trailer with a dry GVW of 2800 lbs. Do you have any experience or knowledge on this? Thanks.
    Len
  • madridjoemadridjoe Member Posts: 28
    I have a 95 GMC Sonoma 4Wd 4.3 that I use to pull a horse trailer (about 5000 lbs. loaded) and loaded hay wagons all the time with no problems at all. Keep your transmission fluid fresh, engine oil changed, and enjoy yourself!
  • playboy_20playboy_20 Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone i have a question has anyone ever seen a S10 Cameo? I know its a rare truck i wanted to post up a pic of it but i dont know how
    Thanks Jason
  • chevy_s10_lschevy_s10_ls Member Posts: 2
    Just Saying Hi...

Am new to the P/U scene.

My wife decided a few weeks ago that I needed a "new" toy to play with.. so she went out and
    got me a 99 S-10 LS extended cab.

It has a 4.3 V-6 Vortec and 4 speed automatic. Mileage on it is just a tad over 36,000. In addition, she also picked up a extra 36 month/36,000 mile extended warranty just for
    the heck of it.

She saw the custom bed liner, but at the time she first looked at it, didn't realize that it also had a class III Hidden Hitch receiver.

Well I guess you know where that leaves me now.. (LOL) I'll sure be giving her alot of " love'n " in the future.. (LOL).

As it stands, I'm nothing but happy with the purchase she made.
  • pecanwoodspecanwoods Member Posts: 2
    Hi All;
    I just bought a used '94 pick-up, because I loved the test drive (Mom came along and liked it, too). I tried out other trucks, but enjoyed simply driving this one, beyond its utilitarian function for my work.
    However, I do not speak "car"...could you folks please explain to me the following terms: Vortex engine; 4.3 (I think it's the block!?!); and, the S10's "LS" classification...none of the websites explain this stuff. Thank you so much.
  • eoghaneoghan Member Posts: 4
    Mine was built in February of 2002. I read the 2003's have a new fuel injection system. Did the later 2002's have the new system? Previously owned, similarly equipped, S-10 vehicles averaged 18-19 mpg, this one gets more like 15-16 mpg. I would like to hear what other owners experience. Other than that the new one is an improvement, particularly the 4 wheel disc brakes.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    HI,

I haven't been on the board for a while but when I saw the gauge question I had to jump in.
    The gas gauge is similar to the one in my old '69' Malibu.
    Once it hit the 1/2 mark the gauge can dive to empty. I have heard of this problem from many others. I find that on "E" the tank can have as much as 4 gallons.

I don't trust it though. I fill up at 250 miles normally.

I hope that GM comes out with a fix.
    Here's hoping.

Otherwise, we love this crew cab. My wife really likes it and that is unusual for her to like a truck. I added a Jerico cap and it is ideal for holiday travel to the relatives with the 2 kids/car seats, 2 dogs, luggage and baby gear.

Keep your eyes open for door problems. I first heard of this problem on Edmunds and my dealer admitted that they had a rear door just 'break'. Mine was getting stiff and making noise so they checked it out and lubed it up.
    Just to reply to inquiry...

Our 2002 crew cab 4x4 gets 15-18 around town and on a back road commute to work. It gets 19-23 on the road so far depending on speed and how long we sit in traffic.
    The best mileage of 24 mpg was on one trip averaging 55 mph. Since we usually travel 65 mph, we haven't seen that mileage repeated yet.
    I am not often pleased enough in a product to write about it but this past week provided what I considered to be a test for my S10. I was wrong.

We just experienced a nice 7-9 inches of snow in our area that kept most people at home. There was a layer of ice under the snow as well. Schools were closed and the roads were not plowed. After 1/2 day of work, we were sent home....in the middle of the snow.
    Dispite stopping to clean the ice off the wipers and being stopped at the base of hills while others 'burned' their way up the hill, I was able to drive the back roads without incidence.

This being deer season I managed to get my first day off in too long, so I took my S-10 up to a friends property. Not only was I pleased with how this truck handled the snow off road, but when I met a Pathfinder coming the other direction on the one way trail, the little S10 just went up in the woods to let the Pathfinder through. I thought that this would be a test of the ground clearance. I am happy to report that it didn't. It was as sure-footed as driving in town.

I know this 2001 S10 doesn't have the profile of the Z package or the "aggressive features?" of the frontier, or a V-8 like the Dakota to which the S10 was compared in the small truck category. But I hope Chevy keeps making this small truck. I understand that(Isuzu)will replace the S10 with the "Colorado" as a midsize truck. It's a shame that a best seller like the S10 can't stay in the market. I'll bet if Chevy put a diesel' engine in the S10 it would find a new market share. Maybe someone from GM reads these postings?

For me, the S10 won out over Nissans new plastic truck, the Ford Ranger, and the Dakotas(all the Dakotas around here need new transmissions). The only truck in its class that had more appeal was the Toyota that was $3000 more than the S10 and I couldn't afford it.

Oh, one more thing... the S10 did manage a respectable 15 mpg on a 1/2 tank using 4 wheel drive. That was better than expected.

Here's a vote to keep a truck like the S10 on the market...so I can replace this truck someday.
    I read the article regarding "purchase of an extended warranty" and found the website to the national "complaint" safety organization (NHTSA).

I was concerned that about 1/3 or the 100 plus complaints lodged against the Chevy S-10 for the 2001 model were in regards to hydrolic brake failure. Nearly another 1/3 were related to serious transmission problems.

Dealerships were not viewed as taking these problems seriously.

I am not seeing those types of complaints posted in this forum. The site was well worth the look especially if you are considering the value of an extended warranty.

I do not know whether the number of complaints to the NHTSA are "normal" or unusual.

Any ideas?
  • chevyjoe1chevyjoe1 Member Posts: 9
    HI KAREN... I WORK FOR A DEALERSHIP. I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE DON'T SEEM TO KNOW WHAT IS AVAILABLE SOMETIMES. IF I SEE SOME QUESTIONS, I CAN LOOK IT UP IN AUTOBOOK AND RESPOND...LOVE TO HELP
  • luffnuttluffnutt Member Posts: 13
    When I say old, you can that two ways; I am 69 and shortly 70 years old and I have a 97 S-10, 2.2 L engine, 5 speed manual transmission with a regular cab and long bed. This plain model has air conditioning and the heavy duty suspension. It was bought new and a second vehicle and to date has less than 24,000 miles on it. The only part that broke so far is the the windshield wiper module, which I found I will be reimbersed for, cold solder joint. I never like the the New Vision transmission, grinding in neutral with the clutch engaged, and it wants an extra long pause between shifts, especially from first to second and second to third. If pushed too fast it feels like your are catching a tooth on the gear. Complained to the dealer three times and was told it was okay. Gave up in disgust. Get good gas mileage, 20 to 30 miles per gallon. Have had as much as 1600 pounds of sand in it,and didn't hurt anything, but drove quite carefully, for the 3 mile trip. No other problems, but it is rather mundane truck, but it serves the purpose for which I purchased it for. Went back to the dealer for a full size sedan, Impala and ended up with a Toyota Avalon. Dealers just can't get the hang off things, if you are not pleased with their service, you find other dealers who hungry for your business, I do enjoy these "gearhead" postings and you will see me again, tthat" a warning. joshing
  • battlesbattles Member Posts: 1
    Does the rear end of a 2000 s-10 chevrolet extended cab sit higher that than a regular cab s-10
  • ffmcobaltffmcobalt Member Posts: 20
    Just found this place. Cool! I own a 1985 S-10 Blazer 4WD Tahoe. I got it last year from a friend who owns a towing company. Whoever had it towed didn't come pick it up, racked up a $990 bill, and decided not to come get it. After the towing company took ownership of it per Oregon law, they sold it to me for $300! It's got oversized off-road tires, original white paint that still has a shiny top (clear?) coat, and nearly PERFECT interior. The previous owner took good care of how the car looked, but sucked at maintaining the drive train.

The owner (my buddy) and a co-worker helped me overhaul it, as well. We put a new 2.8L V6 in it, virtually identical to the 2.8L V6 that was in it --but this one wasn't throwing a rod and actually had a functioning oil pump. The only difference is that the original block had a mechanical fuel pump and the new one had an electronic. Therefore, the hole that the mechanical fuel pump plugs into the block with was not there. Oh well, time for an electronic fuel pump.

Gave it a new clutch, new transmission fluid, and new fluid for the rear pumpkin.

Now all I need is a new heater core, new starter, new carburetor, and 3" suspension lift kit. :-p The leaf-springs on the back are virtually flat, so I'm thinking that I may as well put in a whole new suspension while I'm at it.

I love my baby. :-D
  • cage47cage47 Member Posts: 17
    I've had my '98 Blazer LT for a little over two months now. I've been generally pleased. I've looked on here and am keeping a leary eye on some of the suspect areas. But being in Houston, TX I don't experience many of the problems some people have like the worn out bearings or ball joints. I'm keeping an eye on my idler arm as that seems a little loose but everything else looks good. However I do have the dreaded wiper motor failure glitch. Not as bad as some but can get annoying. I don't have the vibration that other owners have but when I bought my truck (an off lease vehicle) the dealership replaced two of the tires. But the wingnuts put both new tires on the same side. I did have a slight shudder until I rotated the right front and left back to have both of the new tires on the front. Now rides like it's on glass. Or as smooth as that gets on Houston roads. My big concern is keeping an eye on those oil coolant lines and the antifreeze. I read that those are the other two BIG problems that I could see happening. But overall I'm pleased with my purchase. Just wish GM would include the '98 in the wiper motor recall so I could get that fixed free. Priced $78 for a new motor.
  • singwenzelsingwenzel Member Posts: 3
    Hi Karen,
    I have an original 125,000 mile Florida 96 S-10 LS extended cab pick-up, and I really love it. It's a Mark III conversion so it's lowered, mags & fat tires, bed rails, and skirting all around. A bit squirrely in the winter time with only rear wheel drive, but 270 lbs. of sand in the bed helps. It's loaded, with an aftermarket AM/FM Cassette/CD so it is a great ride. I/m thinking of selling it and get a SUV, but why? It runs great, and everything works, and it seems everything out there 4x4 is junk or there are a million problems with them! So, I guess I'm probably just gonna' stay a happy S-10 family member!
    Dick Wenzel
  • liltrkbighpliltrkbighp Member Posts: 3
    'LS means luxury like power windows a/c leather optional trim... the difference in the regular s10 and I/s has more value than just a regular s10
  • mikeys10mikeys10 Member Posts: 7
    Say hello, I have a 1985 s10 blazer and just a few miles of 400,000 miles. Runs good Still has the original engine (knock on wood) it still a working truck. It been a good truck.
  • xteme03xteme03 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, My name is Aaron and I am from St.Cloud, MN
    I have a 2003 Chevy S-10 Xtreme Black w/silver stripes. I have done a lot to the audio/video side of the the truck, but I am still working on the performance portion. So far, so good! I love it! If anyone has questions for me or would like to see a pic, just ask!
    I am pretty much always signed on to AIM: screen name, eatalargecorndog
    -Aaron
  • mattivmattiv Member Posts: 1
    i have a problem....maybe someone can help! my 1996 chevy s-10 has been sitting for awhile (i was travelling and not using it). when i returned home i started it and let it idle but accidently let it run out of what little gas it had. then it sat again for a few weeks before i put in more gas (about 3 gallons). now the truck will not start....the battery is fine, it cranks but no gas seems to be getting to the carburetor. i thought the gas line was probably dry and figured i could put some gas directly in the carburetor like i had done in the past with a '76 silverado--but i can't even find the carburetor under the hood!!!!
    does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do to get the truck running again? any help is very much appreciated. thanks so much for your time.
    matt iv
  • whitewingswhitewings Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have recently picked up a challenge. A 1988 S-10 that had been sitting for a year. I was originally going to put in a 350 but with the gas prices I decided to rebuild the little 4 cylender. Truck seems to be in good shape with just minor problems (I need a code checker) and so far am having fun with it. After a year of sitting in the Pacific Northwest there are the obvious problems, I have put my first tank of gas thru it and need to change the fuel filter, re-do the brakes and a paint job. I am having a real problem finding a console as my truck is a five speed. I looked at all the pictures of S-10s for sale on E-Bay but I didnt see any consoles. Anyone have any ideas? :blush:

Bill
  • whitewingswhitewings Member Posts: 2
    Matt, you have electronic fuel injection. Dont pour gas into it. Try a spray start like they use on diesels. WD-40 will work also. Then before you you fill your tank pour a bottle of HEET or one of the gas dryers into the tank to clean up any mositure in the tank and fuel lines. If it doesnt start disconect the fuel line at the fuel filter, (on the firewall at the back of the engine) have someone try to start it, if you are not getting gas thru the line your fuel pump is bad. It is located in the gas tank. Get a Chilton manual, changing the pump is easy. :blush: Isnt this fun?

Bill
  • ccbigchris074ccbigchris074 Member Posts: 1
    where can i read the complaint
  • low14ucameolow14ucameo Member Posts: 1
    i own a 89 chevy cameo im looking for any parts anyone has.....i need a new tranny,body kit, front left quarter panel,and tailgate. im lookin for good prices on all things.....if anyone has any info on where to find any of this email me at i_am_me_kristi_lee at yahoo dot com. o yeah i also want new decals....i called chevy and the no longer sell anything for cameos.. thanx. Kristi lee
  • tnhuntertnhunter Member Posts: 1
    HELLO ALL,I WENT TO A AUTO AUCTION LOOKING FOR A FIRST CAR/TRUCK FOR MY 17 YEAR OLD AND WAM BAM,FEEL INTO A GREAT DEAL,I THINK,UP FRONT TILL NOW I HAVE NEVER OWNED A CHEVY ANYTHING,PERIOD. FORD TRUCKS AND MY JEEP SCRAMBLER,THANK IS IT. OK I BOUGHT A PAIR OF 90 REGULAR CAB 2 WHEEL DRIVE PICK-UPS FOR 125.00,EACH. FOUND THAT THEY BOTH STARTED,RAN,BUT HAVE 167000 MILES/213000 MILES ON THEM BUT AGAIN THEY RAN,NO SMOKE,NO A/C,NEW TIRES,BREAKS WORK WELL,BUT ONE DOES HAVE A SQUEAK IN THE CLUTCH,WHEN AT IDLE OR THE CLUTCH PETAL IS NOT PUSHED IN,BUT IF YOU EVER SO SLIGHTLY TOUCH THE PEDAL THE NOISE GOES AWAY,ANYWAY TO ADJUST THE CLUTCH LIKE I DO ON MY JEEP?ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE,THESE TRUCKS ARE IN GREAT SHAPE TOO. LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU ALL.CHETT :)
  • twotoolstwotools Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Phil. I have a 2001 3rd door with a vortek 4.3 v6. I bought it a year ago
    some one put a flow master muffler on. It sounds sweet.the other day while driving
    with the air on (CALIF- HOT), Whoa let me back the truck up to make some sense.
    I never filled my gas tank up. now I am driving further to work so i fill it.while running on free way w/air onI feel the motor kinda miss a beat.is this normal
    at 95 to 100mph it shuts down governor?I am trying to explain this and ask questions at the same time. Ok last week driving w/air on truck don't want to shift out of 1st from stop. if i let off gas it shifts. bottom line is I think since I just started filling up the tank
    i think the sediment in there got to the filter.(in the mean time service engine light comes on) I buy and install filter They say have it donedue to 60psi..
    I did it my self . now it don't
    t start like it should i have to put gas in carb or i'll run battery down.any body have this problem? sorry it took so long to explain
  • chevlvrchevlvr Member Posts: 18
    Hi chevy people!

As far as the L/S being luxury, thats wrong I have a 2000 S10 extended cab
    L/S, its not luxury. You have to add some of those features you spoke of, like
    leather, power locks, windows etc-. the option is there but your gonna pay out the
    nose for it. Mine only came with AC. No other luxuries, but I am very happy with
    my truck, has 51K and only thing i've had to do is replace throttle position sensor
    which, in case you did not know is a common problem according to postings I see
    on the problems and solutions site. Anyway mine is 2.2L, I have added cold air
    induction, flowmaster exhaust, and got rid of the original rubberband (skinny)tires
    and put on some low profile fatties, handles alot better! sounds great!
    Anyway, love the site keep up the good work! and CHEVY'S ROCK!!!!
    If posting 39 does'nt work, when you ran tank dry and added gas to it, you may
    have stirred up some settiment in bottom of the tank. check you pickup valve in
    the tank, which is not too hard. good luck!
    Hi Phil,

first things first, you dont have a carb, youshould have fuel injection, second alot of newer vehicles do have a rev limiter, or governer. I have not
    had my S10 to that speed, but my work truck(2001 ranger 4x4) does the same
    thing around 92mph, called ford and they said normal(rev limiter). last but not
    least, the hesitating and not shifting could be your throttle position sensor, your
    tranny has to see the proper rpms etc- from the computer to shift properly, and
    your hesitating and or surging is probably related to that, I just replaced my
    TPS a week ago because I was having problems, truck would act like it was running out of gas(spit and sputter) it would throw a code(check engine light)but
    would go away, then would be ok for another month or more, and would do it again
    so I took it to my mechanic and he pulled code history and found it to be the TPS.
    the one for my truck was only $41, they run anywhere from $35 to $70 depending. good luck Phil, hope this helps
  • mstuartmstuart Member Posts: 1
    when the clutch is not engaged and you hear a squeaking noise and it stops with just the touch of the clutch pedal it is generally caused by a dry clutch fork pivot ball stud, which causes metal to metal contact with the clutch fork. good luck
  • woolblazerwoolblazer Member Posts: 1
    I need help!! I have a 95 chevy s-10 blazer 4.3 vortec engine. I just changed the fuel filter in Aug 05, fuel pump changed in 2001, new fuel line...new sending unit...
    Problem is the vehicle stalls at a stop light and also takes several times to crank when starting...what could it be the fuel pump?
  • donronaldodonronaldo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1988 S-10. It has a 4-cylinder, five speed. The truck has some customizing, and I cannot determine if this was original or added later. There is a fiberglass visor over the front window and a cowl mounted just behind the cab. The truck has a special "Outlaw" decal on each side. I've researched te RPO codes, but haven't found anything related to the style package.

My 15-year-old and I are fixing this truck for him to drive. We're looking for a 1988 owner's manual, if anyone might know were we could find one.

Love this site!
  • jeremypkcjeremypkc Member Posts: 1
    I have owned chevy trucks my whole life. A couple things could be wrong...It may need some sort of a tune-up...such as spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap/rotor. Also your fuel injectors may need cleaning. Try some fuel injector cleaner from an auto parts store. Also could be a battery or other electrical problem but not likely.
  • getreal1968getreal1968 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me out here. I have a 95 Chevy S-10 pickup and I love it. It's going on 11 years old with about 150,000 miles on it. My question is my truck is parked outside all the time and whenever it rains or there is moisture in the air the next morning when I'm leaving for work it just hesitates until it warms up then it run perfectly. On dry days I never have the problem. Can anyone tell me what might make it hesitate when placed in drive? It clears up when the engine warms up. I'm just clueless? Could it be a sensor? What part would collect moisture and then hesitate when placed in drive? Any info would be great.

Mike