Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
Been seeing the spy shots and the artist renditions of this joint venture with Porsche. Theirs will be the Cayenne and is due out later this year but the VW version is more sketchy as far as specs and production schedules. Anyone heard anything??

Comments

• scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Yes, we've seen shots of the Cayenne but I haven't seen any of the Touareg yet. Can somebody post some spy shots or renditions? ...also, anything descriptive or statistical that's been published so far? Tentative price range?

The only thing I've read is this article at VWVortex about the Cayenne which briefly compares both vehicles. No pics of the Touareg though.

VWVortex article on the Cayenne

TIA

--'rocco
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    US dealers are asking VW to change the name, which for some reason is named after a Saharan slave trading tribe.
    I just ran into the forum that they have over at VWVortex Vortex Touareg Forum that's devoted to the MAC. So I just got through reading a thread on that subject name change thread. Interesting. Still no "for sure" photos, though. There are two renditions which I noticed were posted:

http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/bbtitle_mac.gif ...an "Allroad" Golf

http://www.dobletraccion.com/marzo01/colorado1.jpg and http://www.dobletraccion.com/marzo01/colorado2.jpg ...an "Allroad" Passat station wagon.

Or this "Thing:" *laughs out loud* http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/concept2001/helmut.htm

--'rocco
  • sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    I heard that the agreement between VW and Porsche was that the SUV would be delivered at the same time.
    True?
    If so, some actual pictures should be surfacing soon as the Cayenne did.
    I was invited to a marketing survey for SUVs. I have done this before, no big deal. This time, the usual cast of up scale SUVs were there, but also, the VW Test Vehicle.' Yes, a Tourareg or whatever right in front of me!
    Briefly:
    The front looks just like some of the net pics floating around, that is a Passat on steroids. The back end was a Golf on steroids as well. The front worked very well, rugged, yet with some sophistication. The back didn't work so well. The roofline slopes downward toward the liftgate similar to the new Pontiac Vibe/Matrix. This makes it less like an SUV and more like some crossover thing in my opinion. But more importantly, it cuts rear vision and cargo capacity dramatically. Size-wise, it is larger than the Lexus RX300, but smaller than an Ford Explorer. More along the lines of the BMW X5.

Inside, it screams BMW, very upscale. Lot's of brushed chrome and wood accents everywhere. This prototype had ever conceviable option/gadet you could think(except navigation). Leather, sunroof, multi CD player, etc.
    One of the questions was, "if this wasn't a VW, then what other brand would you think made it?"
    I think VW is really going for the upscale market on this.
    The doors height seemed tall and the dash very pronounced as well as the seating seemed low. This combination made it feel cramped inside, not like a high riding SUV with a commanding view of the road. Reminded me of sitting in a low-slung sports car(like an Audi TT).
    The stat sheet showed a 6-cylinder engine, AWD. Pretty basic. Buy strangely, the automatic shifter only appeared to be a 3-speed, which I doubt will be production.

All in all, I was excited and dissapointed at the same time. I guess we shall see what comes out of production. I heard from VW's marketing department, that they heard 1st quarter 2003 for delivery.
    I just can't help but wonder why they didn't just make it an Audi. Porsche's version will be more expensive than the class that the X5 and RX300 is in.
    diploid-- yeah, it would seem to me that it would make much more sense from a marketing standpoint to make the Cayenne an Audi. But I suppose they want to portray the image of an ultra-high-perforance SUV ...something that would far outclass the X5 and RX300. As Steve implies, it sounds like it will be the VW model which will compete with those two vehicles. It sustains VW's strategy of continuing to offer more upscale vehicles which personally disappoints me. IMHO, VW should concentrate on making affordable cars exremely reliable to compete with Honda, Toyota and the like and leave the upscale vehicles to their Audi division.

Steve-- Wow! ...so you were actually able to see a pre-production model, eh? I suppose you weren't able to take pics at this marketing survey function you attended. I'd still like to see a snapshot. Where was this marketing survey located? Is it moving around the country? I wonder if I could get invited to one of these things!? *lol*

--'rocco
    rocco-
    No, no cameras, phones, kids. I didn't even know the VW was going to be there. It was a suprise and they just said be careful with the switches and accessories as it was a prototype and not up to typical quality standards.
    The survey just came in the mail, nothing preplanned. The moderator made a comment that this was the 'last go-round' of market tests. I agree with the upscale comment. But that seems to be their company direction with the Pheaton etc.
    Steve-- Did it look like this?: Click Here

The Magellan supposedly will be Audis rendition of the Touareg and Cayenne(?):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=296602

--'rocco
    No, the Magellan is something all together different.

The nearest pictures that I have seen are at:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=234990

scroll down to obelix posts. The blue color looks the same that I saw in person. The only difference is the tail lights/rear section didn't protrude outward so much, it was more sleek.
    Steve-- The pic of the Magellan and the Touareg prototype that you saw really don't appear or seem to share the same platform as is stated in the article that I previously posted ...odd. I suppose we'll see more reliable pics late in the spring or during summer as the launch date in Europe gets closer. Thanx for your response.

--'rocco
  • sswxysswxy Member Posts: 2
    News titled "Volkswagen’s exclusive off-road vehicle" with some official released pictures was published on April 26 at site : http://www.germancarfans.com/Features.cfm?FeatureID=1020426.001
  • luonghluongh Member Posts: 12
    Are there any chance VW going to offer a seven seat configuration? This will be interesting.
    I was going to respond to the comments which were posted yesterday but I see that they have been deleted. Actually, IMO, they were not stupid or uncalled for at all. I completely agreed with diploid. VW AG has had complaints that the name is offensive --due to the fact which diploid pointed out-- but yet they refuse to change the it ...if it is offensive to only a small segment, then it should be changed.

The [non-permissible content removed] reference, although harsh, made a good analogy. Change the name, Volkswagen!

Sincerely,

--'rocco
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    "and decided it was going to lead us down one of those paths that didn't really have a lot to do with the SUV."

That was my point, I read the add from VW and said, named after some tribe who are rugged and bla bla bla somewhere in Africa, 99,9% percent of the people has no idea who this people are, I didn't, why look for something that is not there, if we apply that principle we will find wrong everywhere, Jeep Cheroke for instance, trail of tears, expelled from their land , reservation, etc. Just keep it bolts and nuts.

The initial name was to be Colorado but somehow the name of the state or Red in color in spanish is the trade name of GM, beats me.
    I think there's a difference between a Touareg and a Cherokee name. The Cherokee people were the ones who got enslaved; the Touareg, on the other, does the slave trading. And yes, I do realize that the Native Americans crossed the land bridge many thousands of years ago and displaced the then native inhabitant of what is now modern day North America. It all comes down to splitting hairs, but I was just commenting on the initial impact of the Touareg name. Generic descriptions such as "rugged" or whatever terms that VW used could be applied to any group of people, depending on which side of the gate you're from.

But aside from that, did anyone else notice that the "official" pic is practically the same as the computer-rendered "spy" pic that was floating around when we first heard that VW was coming out with an SUV?
    No animosity here.

Going back to the SUV business I dont like the name either but for the reason that is a strange name and hard to pronounce, I wish VW would switch to alpha numeric designations instead, the names they come up with leave a lot to desire, like rabbit, golf, phaeton and touareg, give me a break.

On a more serious note, by reading the article about the SUV it seems like it will be a real nice vehicle, to the point that I would seriously consider it, lets wait and see what more information comes about.
    Reading the article I find the most impresive the towing capacity at 7,700lbs, compared to the MDX at 3500, the ML at 5000 and the BMW at 6000lbs.

The pictures must be deceptive like the article says because it almost looks like a Passat station wagon but in reality is bigger that all the above.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The towing capacity is indeed impressive (as is the ground clearance and pneumatic suspension).

Too bad a lot of the heavy-duty towing is probably assuming the 10-cylinder turbo diesel, which produces tremendous torque. That engine is unlikely to make it to the U.S. An 8-cylinder gas engine will probably be the top engine here.

To me, its only significant limitation is the probable low amount of cargo room. Wonder how much it'll cost here, and whether VW dealerships will be up to the task of supporting a relatively costly and complex vehicle. Probably won't come with free scheduled maintenance (with various limitations) like the German luxury brands do.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not sure if they're playing games here with that 7700 pound tow capacity. A Range Rover can also tow 7700 pounds—in low range. The towing capacity of the RR in high range is much lower. Also with the RR, those tow ratings are with trailers that have brakes. A RR can only tow about 1650 if the trailer has no brakes.

Bottom line: we need more info on exactly what the VW tows, and if there are any restrictions, such as I noted above.

Bob
    They say the SUV has a low range so no problem there and if equiped with that monster V10 with 550ft/lbs torque it could tow double that amount, I guess the limiting factor is the weigth of the vehicle itself, it comes a time when the weigth of the tow starts pushing the towing vehicle around.
    Until I see an owner's manual, I'll remain suspect of that 7700 figure. I'm sure it will tow that amount, just under what conditions? It may well tow 7700 pounds in high range. Then again it may only tow that figure in low range. I need to see the owners manual...

Bob
    They could be talking about towing a boat. Or that the rating is for the V10 engine.
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    Does anybody have any idea when the Touareg will be released in the U.S.? Is it scheduled for release in 2002?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is the blurb from our Future Cars page (see "Reviews"):

"Few concrete details have been released about this upcoming sport-ute from VW, but we've managed to obtain one of the few pictures of this twin of the Porsche Cayenne. Designed to compete against the likes of Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti and Lexus, the vehicle is expected to go on sale in 2003.... Its first unveiling is expected at the 2002 Paris Auto Show this fall."

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    Speaking of VW trucks, the XLT is basically an LT setup with a 5th-wheel. But it comes with a factory VW cargo trailer. Its light-duty, rated to haul only 3 tonnes (6600 pounds) load in the trailer, which is probably between 1 and 2 tonnes itself empty. (this link should work)
    http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ltxlt.html
    Thus gross trailer weight is around 10,000 pounds.
    Now, take that trailer, convert it into a deluxe travel trailer (with slide-outs) and drop the V-10 TDI into the double-cab tractor unit, and I've got my dream RV!
    (...do we need to start a VW trucks forum? )
    Vee dub of the desert

Steve
    Host
  • jefepro2jefepro2 Member Posts: 16
    Hey Edmunds,

In your section that shows all the new cars coming out, you have the Touareg availability as Summer 2002 but in the article it says Mid-2003 with it debuting at Paris. I am pretty sure the later is correct but wouldn't mind it being a tad bit earlier!
    I see what you're referring to the Future Telling article -- sending in the Feedback Form will insure that the errors get looked at. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
  • rabbott36rabbott36 Member Posts: 1
    If you guys who are wondering why the towing capacity and other specs are so large please read the fist overview and you will see that the specs in the overview do not match the detailed spec site.

I would bet that they are pointing you to some huge NA truck
    "It may be late to the party, but initial inspection says that all those loyal VW aficionados will snap them up promptly."

First Drive: 2004 Volkswagen Touareg

Steve
    Host
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    Great review. Actually sounds like it will have more "Utility" than I would have expected, plus plenty of Sport. Memo to VW: BRING THE TDI TO THE US. 0-60 in under 8 seconds with 23 MPG... what's not to love?
    Do you think people really will take a SUV that's meant to compete against the likes of the Volvo XC90 offroad?

Steve
    Host
    Utility: see also, cargo room :)

Was referring as much to the comment about more cargo room than the X5 as the off road ability, but it's nice to know that if I was crazy enough to take a $50K vehicle off road, I probably won't need a Ford or Jeep to get me unstuck.
    << Do you think people really will take a SUV that's meant to compete against the likes of the Volvo XC90 offroad? >>

Absolutely. People take Range Rovers and Land Cruisers off road, so why not the Touareg?

Remember, this vehicle will be sold world-wide, not just to the country-club set here in the USA. I tip my hat to VW for offering a state-of-the art "true" SUV, and not just another 4WD solid-axle anvil.

Bob
  • carjunkcarjunk Member Posts: 10
    Steve,
    How can I get the message to the VW people that we need 7 passenger seating as much as or more than a diesel engine? The VW website email keeps locking up!
    Would one of your auto journalists who get to drive these have an email address to contact at VW for customer feedback?
    Thanks
    This is the direct link to the US/Canada VW contact info page -- maybe that'll work for you.

Otherwise try the international VW page at www.volkswagen.de and click on the British flag at the lower right for English - I understand they are very responsive.

I'm telecommuting from Boise so can't walk down the hall and ask the editorial folks for their secret contact info ;-)

Steve
    Host
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    I THINK THAT TOUAREG PRICE SHOULD GO FROM 25,000 TO 35,000. IF THE TOUAREG STAYS IN THAT RANGE IT WILL BE A HUGE HIT, I KNOW I WILL BUY IT.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Delete your *Caps Lock*...
    Does anyone know when more info will come available on the touareg.
    Go to
    I just went to vwvortex.com and saw the touareg road test and it looks awesome. The only thing that i think volkswagen should change is the rear and the price. The rear looks like a wagon not a suv.
    I had initially written this vehicle off as a bad joke (especially with its Porsche cousin), but the review here on Edmunds and the one on Vortex make it sound like a real contender. I don't think we're going to get the price down, given that VW only intends to import 25,000 or so. But I do hope we get the TDI 10 cylinder diesel. That engine sounds sweet. VWguild, any ideas on the overall pricing structure (beyond the starting point of $35K), and whether or not (or how soon) we could reasonally expect the TDI?
    You are probably right about the price, but i think they could sell at least 100,000 touaregs if Volkswagen would lowerd the price to the 25,000 to 30,000 base price.
    We don't even have published prices on 2003 Jettas
    or Golfs, much less a product that is a year away
    from delivery...I think Jamie indicated that the TDI would be coming this way in the 2nd year of
    production...Disappointing, but I believe this has something to do with Fed Law Changes regarding Diesel #2 Fuel and cleaning up as it is in Europe and the fact that Diesel truck emissions are different than passenger cars...

And think how many they could sell @ $15,995.00...:) Technologically speaking this is
    not an entry level SUV, and is not supposed to be...
    The last time I checked Volkswagen was a mass auto producer, and you would think they would want to sell vehicles not price them so high that the Touareg goes against Mercedes-Benz ml class, bmw x5, and Acura Mdx. If they want to increase their market share in the U.S. market they need to have vehicles that compete technology, and price wise. I know Volkswagen is comepting technology wise but not price wise. When the Microbus debuts will it be charged so high that they cant reach their own expectations for sales. I think that the microbus and the touareg could both sell well here but they need to priced correctly. I' am aware that Volkswagen is trying to go upscale but they cant forget about the lower priced segments trying to go their. I heard somewhere that they wanted to reach 500,000 in sales by 2005 how are they going to get their with prices like these. Vw has always been high priced, and I think you get alot for the price but to end it somewhere.
    If you look at the competition, most 4WD mid-sized luxury SUV's are priced from the low to mid 30's, including the Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Explorer EB, and a host of others. Given the level of sophistication here, I don't think an estimated $35K starting point is out of the question. Given something like the 10cyl TDI, I'd pay a premium over these prices, and I think others will, as well.
    The Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer, and Honda Pilot all have lower priced models.