Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bjonesybjonesy Member Posts: 6
    I apologize for going overboard. I am still upset about what is going on in my case with Toyota. They have admitted they have a problem, implied they are not sure they have found the solution, yet still don't care. They say they will fix the problem, (for the fifth time now), yet don't understand the concern I have for my children's safety. How many times should I give them to fix something? I shouldn't have taken out my anger on you. I am going to court sometime next year and based on all the people I have discussed this with, should win. I have notified my local and state senators, I have contacted consumer advocacy groups and have talked with numerous other people. As for knowing too much about the industry, sadly this problem has given me a crash course in it. Toyota has chosen to make this last a year before we settle it, so I am angry and I lashed out. My goal now is simple, get my money back for my car, give my car back, warn people how I was treated, and hopefully force a recall on the seatbelts. The problem I am experiencing is the second most complained about problem for the 1997 Toyota Corolla. The first, airbags, has already been recalled and there were only a couple more complaints.(www.nhtsa.com) Again I am sorry for my accusation.
    Thank You,
    Bryan
    I apologize for going overboard. I am still upset about what is going on in my case with Toyota. They have admitted they have a problem, implied they are not sure they have found the solution, yet still don't care. They say they will fix the problem, (for the fifth time now), yet don't understand the concern I have for my children's safety. How many times should I give them to fix something? I shouldn't have taken out my anger on you. I am going to court sometime next year and based on all the people I have discussed this with, should win. I have notified my local and state senators, I have contacted consumer advocacy groups and have talked with numerous other people. As for knowing too much about the industry, sadly this problem has given me a crash course in it. Toyota has chosen to make this last a year before we settle it, so I am angry and I lashed out. My goal now is simple, get my money back for my car, give my car back, warn people how I was treated, and hopefully force a recall on the seatbelts. The problem I am experiencing is the second most complained about problem for the 1997 Toyota Corolla. The first, airbags, has already been recalled and there were only a couple more complaints.(www.nhtsa.com) Again I am sorry for my accusation.
    Thank You,
    Bryan
  • ant1ant1 Member Posts: 4
    does wenyue know if the 0-60 of 8.4 seconds correct as listed on the edmunds site, and will they update the horsepower for the 2000 models to 125.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    It's most probably correct. I have an automatic, and I know that it's offical (from Toyota) 0-60 time is 10.4 seconds in 1999. With the extra horse power in the 2000 corolla VVT-i engine, I would expect an automatic to do it in 10.3 seconds.

I don't know the offical 5-spd 0-60 time from Toyota, but typicall a 5-spd manual is about 2 seconds faster than an automatic. So 8.3-8.4 seconds 0-60 time for a 5-spd corolla would be most likly correct.
    Also, 0-60 time from the manufacturers tend to be on the conservative side. I think they don't push their car beyond the design specifications. That's probably why 0-60 time from car magazines tend to be lower than what's published by the manufacturer.

For example, I got the 0-60 time for automatics from one of the car buying guides in Barns and Noble. It stated, and I remember, "While Toyota said corolla with automatic transmission could achieve 0-60 in 10.4 seconds, we clocked one LE do it in 9.7 seconds...". It's one of those Consumer Report type buying guide, the size of a TV guide, and I think it was the 1999 edition. YOu can probably find it in a bookstore.

There are always safty margins that technitians design into their cars, but I think pushing into it will end up costing big in the long run. :)
  • jonathan75jonathan75 Member Posts: 10
    I just put in a Car Alarm in my car. I disconnected a lot of things to install it but put everything back. But now I get a check engine light! What did I do??? :(

Also does anyone with the Factory Alarm can tell me where the Security Light is on the Display? I want to use it but can not find it. I think maybe they use a different panel for cars with out the alarm.

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    To install the alarm, you probably had to cut a few wires, and other things. That's complicated stuff. Wow, you managed to do it yourself. Don't know what's wrong. Maybe their is a bad or loose connection in there. Or maybe just the car senses that it got disconnected for a while. I think a dealer mechanic probably will have an idea.

Anyway, the security light for the factory alarm (RS300) is located in the center of the car. Just in front of the center console and hand brake. It's a small rectangular piece with 2 lights, and a small microphone for glass brake detection.

Good luck. :)
  • jonathan75jonathan75 Member Posts: 10
    I was looking in the wrong place. I thought it was in the Display Panel. The same place where the other warning lights and the speedometer are. I wasted two hours looking for it. I was hoping it was in there and I would just hook my car alarm wires to it.

I took my car to Toyota and they gave me a car to drive for free. It turns out it is NOT my fault! :) It was a fuel injector! That is the reason I had knocking I told you about they said and poor idle the whole time since the car was new. They had to order the part and I should get it back friday just in time for my trip to Califonia where I will visit the NUMMI plant and see my car built! :) I hope they let me take pictures!
    Wow, seems like you are all set again. :) Hum, so it seems like the Toyota and your dealership treated you all right.

So, ah a fuel injector. That doesn't cost too much, mostly the labor I should think. Besides, they are doing it under warranty. I wonder if that's the same cause for many of the people's complaint in this forum. Maybe there was a shipment of defective fuel injectors... Plausable.

So which brand of alarm did you got? And would it fit in where the factory alarm display goes? I bought an aftermarket alarm system (Black Widow brand) for my wife's 96 Mazda Protege. Took one look at the instruction manual and chickened out. It looked way too complicated for me. Luckly Best Buy were doing free installation with every car security unit sold, so just took it in and they fixed me up in 2 hours. Ah, but I digress...

Well, have fun in sunny california. Here in Michigan, I'm freezing my butt off every mornging going to work... :<
  • toto11toto11 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a CE 2000 two weeks ago, and the "check engine" signal turned on too! I brought the car back to the dealer who just reset it but the engine light came back today. I will take it back tomorrow for a more thorough inspection. For information, the sticker says that the vehicle was built in Fremont, CA.
    Check the fuel cap. One of the common reason why check engine light comes on is if the fuel cap is not tight enough. But an thorugh inspection by the mechanic is always a good idea.
  • jgirishjgirish Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

Today while reading the topics, I found some more persons having problems with the 1999 toyota. I think its a better idea to go to the site which "bjonesy" suggested http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and post all the problems out there. Because TOYOTA is not going to help us and that's why we need to get help from some other place. I hope NHTSA will be able to help us.

Thanks.
  • donger1donger1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone:

My wife drives a'97 Corolla and we just moved to Colorado where you have to have a front plate.

Unfortunately, and maybe I'm being completely stupid, I can't find any bosses to mount the damn plate! I looked everywhere! My Acura GS-R was much more agreeable... :-) Any thoughts, rants, hints, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • mazda323mazda323 Member Posts: 66
    Just drill holes in the bumper's plastic molding and screw some self-tapping screws. It seems strong enough to hold a license plate. That's what the dealership did to my Corolla.
  • ginger16ginger16 Member Posts: 1
    When I saw the post entitled "Toyota Corolla Trouble" I just had to check it out, since our 1990 Corolla has been an amazing car. As of today, it has 146,000 miles and the only repair it has needed (besides routine things like brake pads, etc.) is a starter at 100,000 miles. The clutch is still going strong and I thought for sure the car would become troublesome when my teenager daughter started driving it because she's tough on this car. But no, she can't kill it either! I promise you, I have no connection with Toyota and have no alterior motives. I am just so happy with this car, unlike my current car, which is an American brand and not so great.
  • mano2mano2 Member Posts: 9
    1998 Toyota Corolla with manual transmission - had transmission cover, throw out bearing, flywheel and disc replaced not too long ago (after only 22000 miles!). Since the repair it is kind of hard to shift first, second and third gear. Went back to dealer for adjustment under warranty but dealer said (without taking a look) that it cannot be adjusted. Is it possible or they just wanted to brush me off? True, I went back to a different dealer, not to the one who did the transmission warranty job.
    -----
    Also, the engine started to have a kind of hissing noise. At first I thought it was due to being cold. I heard this kind of noise in someone else's car (not a Toyota), but that same kind of noise had a good reason: the owner of the car did not accelerate adequately before shifting gear, so the engine started to rattle and hiss a bit.
    Should I get a tune-up? I never had a fuel injected car before, so I do not know how much a tune-up can help. Oh yes, and I have a question about tune-ups. Is not it enough to replace the spark plugs? Does something need to be adjusted? I do not want to pay $30-40 for a tune-up if all they do is replace the spark plugs and "inspect" hoses, connectors. I had a GEO Spectrum before, but throughout its 120 000 mile life with me it never had a "real" tune-up. I just kept replacing the spark plugs every now and then.
    Thanks for the help!
  • johnyoojohnyoo Member Posts: 18
    Hi,
    My girlfriend has a 99 Corolla with about 10,000 miles and every single one of her windows makes a creaking sound as it goes down. One window has actually stopped making the sound but the other three windows persist. Has anyone had this problem and if so have you come up with a solution? Thanks
  • stevep417stevep417 Member Posts: 1
    Well I finally bought a new corolla. I missed my old friend. I had a new 92 corolla that worked like a champ. I got rid of it after a rear-end and thought it a good time to buy American, wrong. I hated the next car and went back to toyota for a truck. I had more problems with that truck than anything (2 trannys in under 2 years). I went back looking for my old friend and there he was better than ever. I bought an LE only because it was the only manual on the lot, and it was cheaper than an auto CE (Best deal in town if you ask me). The new corolla continues to suprise me. It is smooth through the gears even with less than a hundred miles and takes a downshift at high speeds very well. And now it has 4-wheel independent suspension! Man for under 16 this is a steal. And it is so quiet. I had wanted a Saturn but once I found out about the CE/LE suspension I was hooked!

Enough about the excitement I have a couple of questions. I read a post that the Corolla plant is in Cali. My sticker reads that the port/plant is Buffalo, New York. Is this another plant, or a port? And does anyone know where they come from? Do they make American Corolla's in Japan? Or are they shipped from CA on a boat? The sticker also mentions on/off headlights? Is this light sensitive and how do they work? I can not really figure out when the running lights come on in the manual? Is it speed sensitive? I know in the auto the daytime running lamps come on once in gear.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Have you looked at Toyota Corolla over in our Sedans conference? That's probably the best place in Town Hall to find other recent purchasers of this vehicle.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • nick29nick29 Member Posts: 19
    If you look at your vin# and the first # is 1 it is manufactured in cali by GM.If the first # is a 2 it is manufactured BY Toyota in Cambridge Ontario Canada.
  • awisecaawiseca Member Posts: 1
    Watch those Corolla power windows! My 94 Corolla (50,000 miles) has lost TWO windows in the past year -- the regulator broke on each of them, causing the window to drop into the door. $300 a piece -- I was also told "normal wear and tear." Of course, I've also lost an alternator, a CV Joint, wheel hub...Beware Corollas made in California.
  • cdog88cdog88 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 96 toyota corolla froma used car delership in Central PA. Hartman Motor Cars. Tell me how much you think this all cost. 96 toyota corolla with 34,000 miles with 2 and a half year powertrain and 5 year bumper to bumper warrenty valid at any toyota delearship in the US. automatic with AM/FM and air conditioning.

I got it for 10,000!!!!!!
  • vt399vt399 Member Posts: 6
    I have a new 2000 Corolla CE, auto, AC with a couple hundred miles. It is in break-in period.

When removed the key from ignition switch, I feel
    the switch is warm. (After driving under 55 MPH, around 1 hours, heat or AC is not on and it does
    not have the light.

Is it normal?

Thanks for your advice
  • shannonbshannonb Member Posts: 1
    No, I did not read all of the responses. I just wanted to share my experience. I bought a 99 Corolla LE with in the first month had it back to fix the drivers side window. My biggest complaint so far is the fabric that was used inside the vehicle. For the first three months of owning this car I was a smoker and had been with all my other toyota's I never had a burn mark on any of the upholstery, in this car their are probably 5 marks. Needless to say, I have quit smoking. I still own my 93 toyota corolla station wagon and I love it.
  • filupfilup Member Posts: 1
    Not a bad price, I could get it for $9760.
    I often wondered. Why buy a used Corolla when you can buy a used Prizm (rebadged Corolla) for thousands less.

Even though they are the same thing except the few sheet metal differences, the Prizm's resale sink like a rock. And that's a good thing when you are thinking about saving some money by buying a used corolla.

I once owned a 87 Chevy Nova (Corolla clone before it was called Prizm), that baby served my family faithfully for 13 years (not to mention being abused by me, a teenager back then for that last 7 years). My father bought a 97 Chevy Prizm back in 1998 for commuting. That one year old prizm with 24,000 miles only costed him $8900, still had more than a year of factory warranty left on it! What a steal. And that car haven't had any problem with it so far.

I wonder why buy a 3-4 year old used Corolla when you can buy a 1 year old used Prizm for less money? Just my 2 cents. Any thoughts on this?
    Hello All,

Thought I would update you all on my case. Toyota has responded to my suit. In their response they say that I didn't give them enough opportunity to fix it. (I guess 4 times isn't enough). They also claim I misused the seatbelt. (I guess if you have children in carseats do not buy a corolla because it apparently isn't designed to hold them.
    I really hope they take these statements to court, it should be a short case.

My deposition is on March 24th and hopefully we can get things done shortly after. I also want to publicly state that any money we would win in the case above and beyond the actual amount we requested (i.e. penalty awards) will be donated to a as yet determined charity that focuses on eye care. If anyone knows of a good charity that deals with eye care please contact me.

I hope you all consider how Toyota has treated a customer that they had admitted was right. Please think very carefully before commiting to their product.

Bryan Jones
  • johnyoojohnyoo Member Posts: 18
    well just in case anyone wants to know I had windows that creaked when you rolled them down(99 Corolla LE) and this was intermittent on all four windows. Finally took it into the dealer and they sprayed some silicone in the window channels and for now at least it seems to have done the trick.
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    ..consider yourself lucky, I had to replace 3 transmissions and one engine on the Nissan 300Z and Sentra in addition to the numerous AC Compressors, Alternators, Water Pumps, Window Motors and mechanisms, interiors, Oil Gauge and sender, Steering mechanisms, etc... on and on... so kiss your Toyotas every night and tuck them in tight, cause U can't even imagine the horror of owning a bad car......:0(
    Hey reddogs sorry to hear about your problems, sounds like you had a really bad car, but I think that having the number one safety feature on your vehicle break 4 times and being told by the manufacturer that it really isn't their problem until your child is actually hurt IS definitely a BIG problem to me. I hope your situation gets better.
    Bryan
  • farrizfarriz Member Posts: 10
    My 92 Corolla driver side tail lamp is broken.It is all red and I could not find one.I called my toyota dealer and he told me that he does not have that in stock and he can order one for me but it will cost about $130 just for the part. Where can I get a cheaper one since the car is about 9 years old I dont want to spend that much on that car and it is also easy to fix it.I tried to get a used one it is not available here in NJ.
    Any leads.
  • calfabcalfab Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new corolla CE two weeks ago. On the
    first day I drove it back I found a noise coming from the brake. It happens when you make a full stop then release the brake a little bit. The same noise comes out when you release your brake on a back-up. The noise sounds like "BuuBuu..GuuGuu..".
    Is it common? Should I have the dealer check it out? Any suggestion? Thanks
    Keep phoning the scrap yards and auto recycling centers. The 92 Corolla was a populat model and sooner or later, one is going to end-up at a yard for parts. Some places even let you 'reserve' the part and will phone you when it gets in.
    The noise you are hearing could be normal. When you release the brake pressure slowly when the car is stopped or almost stopped, the brake pads can vibrate, causing weird noises. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are hearing some loud grinding noises. If you are worried, take it in the dealership and have a mechanic listen to the noises. He should be able to tell you if it's normal.
    If the noise is not loud, then it could be normal, or it could be dust or the material of the brake pads, or just be that something is being worn-in during the "break-in period". I think you should observe it, see if it gets better or worse. And when you are getting your first oil change, ask the mechanic to see if it's normal. Good luck.
  • mak9mak9 Member Posts: 5
    Just got a new Corolla 2000 (3 months old). I have noticed that there is a smell of rotten egg coming out from the exhaust pipe from time to time. I am under the impression that it happens when it about to rain or when there is a high humidity in the air.

Anybody with the same problem ?
  • mak9mak9 Member Posts: 5
    calfab: I heard that noise too. Dunno if it is normal or not.
  • nsybokn8nsybokn8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I need a bit of help... I'm trying to install new rear speakers in my '90 corolla. I can't seem to figures out how to get the old ones out though. I tried to the grate off but I can't find the screws and i dont' want to risk breaking anything by trying to yank them off. I'd appreciate any help any of you could give me... thanks...
    nirenj@hotmail.com
    The grate probably just snaps off from the speaker. Use a flat screwdriver and pry off at the back of the speaker grate, so if it does break, at least it will be hidden. Also check under the rear dash, from inside the trunk for any plastic clip that could hold the grates down. You might have to release them from inside the trunk.
  • aichezhuaichezhu Member Posts: 6
    Hi, there

I am looking into a 93 corolla with 91K on it, and another 92 one with 89K on it. Is there any particular problem with them at this age and mileage? I am a little concerned about the high mileages. I would like to know what are the possible problems with them after they reach 100K. Any input, advise, thank you.
  • dchinndchinn Member Posts: 64
    Don't know where U live and where the cars are located but the Toy engines are relatively durable if well-maintained (regular oil changes & belts changed as annotated in the service records). If the cars are in the e. Coast/Midwest, I would be hesitant due to the salting of the roads during winter affecting the undercarriage of the cars, i.e. their steering components, exhaust systems etc. They are prone to premature rust. West Coast & South have less of a problem. Hope that helps. Best yet, get a reliable mechanic to give it a good diagnostic.
  • aichezhuaichezhu Member Posts: 6
    Thanks dichinn. Yes, I live in Midwest and there are lots of snow. Rust is really my concern. the car I am looking at has 89K on it. there is no rust now. does it need changing timing belt and any thing recently? I just want to make sure it's worth buying before I have it checked by a mechanic. By the way, the price is $4400. Is that reasonable? It is auto, radio and tape, power lock, window, steering, rear defroster. Thanks for your attention.
    U need to check out the owner's history of repairs. Ask him/her 4 the latest receipts which show service changing the timing belt, brakes, hoses, sparkplug cables, transmission fluid, etc. Look at the owners manual when the major engine service is due. Normally, it's at 90K miles. As 4 the price, pls check www.kbb.com for a ball-park figure based on condition & options. TTFN.
  • cchiefcchief Member Posts: 1
    WE CURRENTLY HAVE A 90 TOYOTA TERCEL, IT HAS APPROX. 120XXX MILES ON IT AND THE ENGINE HAS BEEN GOING BAD FOR ABOUT THE LAST 5XXX MILES. TOYOTA APPARENTLY ISSUED A TSB (TECH SVC BULLETIN) ON THE VALVE SEALS FOR THIS ENGINE, AND SO WE ARE AT A POINT WHERE WE NEED TO DECIDE WHETHER TO REBUILD THE ENGINE, INSTALL A NEW/USED, SELL THE CAR, OR TRADE IT IN ON A NEW ONE. ALSO THE REAR SUSPENSION MUST HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT, WE HAVE GONE THROUGH 4 SETS OF STRUTS IN THE PAST YEAR (INCLUDING THE ORIGINALS), BUT THE MECHANICS SAY THAT THE REST OF THE REAR END IS OK.? THE CAR WE ARE CONSIDERING PURCHASING IS A 2000-TOYOTA COROLLA. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE YET? AND HAS ANYONE RUN INTO THE TERCEL/ENGINE AND REAR-END PROBLEMS? THE TERCEL WAS A GREAT CAR UP UNTIL IT HIT 100K MILES, BUT IT IS BURNING OIL AND COOLANT AND IT GETS WORSE EVERYDAY.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Hi cchief,

Welcome! Have you had a chance to look through out Sedans conference yet? There are several topics on the Toyota Corolla that might interest you. Here is a link to one of them: Toyota Corolla. You can just click on that link to find lots of opinions about the 2000 model. Also, you can key Corolla into the Topic Search feature on the left side of this page to find more conversations about that car.

Meanwhile, maybe someone around here has some thoughts about your Tercel difficulties.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    I have a '92 Tercel with 164,000 miles on it that is still going strong and hammering out around 40 MPG. I bought it new and commuted in it about 100 miles daily round trip until I retired. The only thing I have ever done to it is change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles, put brakes on it once, and gas in it as needed. And it will still start at the touch of the key and run like a scalded ape.

It and the rest of the Toyotas I have owned have opened my eyes to the fact a car can be built to run 100,000 miles without a problem, so I have developed a terrible taste for American built vehicles and the poor mouthing of those who are convinced otherwise.

The Tercel is no longer made, replaced, apparently, by the Echo. I have been retired for a couple of years and don't put the mileage on this car I used to, but when I do need to get rid of it I will probably get an Echo. I have plenty of vehicles, but live in the country and find it is nice to have a "scooter" vehicle that gets good gas mileage to run around in.
    By yourself a new Corolla or Echo. Save yourself the aggravation on worrying when and what is going to go wrong next w/ your Tercel. I bought my 2K Corolla CE in late March. Currently, I am still breaking it in. No problems w/ it so far except for replacing a floor mat where the threads were unravelling at no cost.
  • mano2mano2 Member Posts: 9
    What can be the problem with my 1998 Toyota Corolla? I have 28,000 miles on it. When the engine is warm, it wants to stall on me while idoling. If I give it a bit of gas or when the cooling fan kicks in, the engine starts running all right again.
    I just got an oil change and tune up (replaced spark plugs and air filter) about a month ago. My gas milage is incredibly good, and the car starts without a problem all the time.
    I posted an answer for your problem in Toytoa Corolla forum. It seems to be a pretty obvious sign of low idling speed. Just ask your dealer to tune the idling speed up a little and you won't have a problem at all.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I think a check of the electrical system is in order. Could be something as simple as a loose wire, bad relay or bad ground. But finding out what is the exact problem in the electrical system is the hard part.