Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger

brucer1brucer1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I am looking very seriously at a Ford Ranger XLT
King Cab 4x4 with the 4.0 engine with auto trans.
I have had trouble finding anyone who has
purchased a similar vehicle the last year or two.

I would appreciate any comments, pro or con that
anyone may have. Also how anyone who has one feels
about the automatic trans. I currently have two
other 4x4s with five speeds. How does the
automatic 4 wheel drive handle snow and ice?

Bruce

Comments

• MotormouthMotormouth Member Posts: 99
    You don't mean the "SuperCab" do you?

I don't see any listing for something called a "King Cab" in the Ranger line.

If, however, you meant the "SuperCab," then we have plenty of information available right here if you're willing to make a few mouse clicks.

While you're waiting for others here to provide you with their feedback, why not take a moment to look at ours. Here's how:

At the "Town Hall" entry page, look at the upper right hand corner. Click on "NEW TRUCKS" and follow the hot links to "Ford" and choose the make and model you're interested in. There, you will also find such other info as:

- What's New For 1998
    - Pros & Cons
    - Edmund's Review
    - Competing Models
    - Warranties
    - Specifications & Safety Features
    - Insurance Cost
    - Vehicle Prices (MSRP & Dealer Invoice)
    - Standard Equipment
    - Optional Equipment (Descriptions & Prices)
    - Financing Information
    And there's even a link to help you find a low-price dealer near you.

Then, come on back here and see what others have to add from their personal experience.

Good luck!

Motormouth
  • kirkpamakirkpama Member Posts: 64
    The 4 door ranger is already out at my dealership. You may want to look at the 4 door model if you want the supercab. It sure improves access to the back seat.
  • ansonanson Member Posts: 1
    Does the 4 door Ranger have forward facing seats/bench?
  • kirkpamakirkpama Member Posts: 64
    It didn't have a bench in the back. It had, what Iooked like a football staduim seat that you put on the bleachers. It looked like two 1square foot pads that fold up when you are not using them. It didn't look comfortable at all.
  • JackieSJackieS Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 4 door ranger, and tho the back seats are small, they seem comfortable...mostly for kids, but adults could ride for a short time. The only problem we have is, right out of the lot, we have a transmission problem..If they can satisfy us on fixing this, we will enjoy this truck. We have the 3.0 V6, and seems like it will have enough power. Any veiws on this? Where would I find other 3.0 owners to talk with and see how they hold up? Thanks.
  • 1z11z1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 98 Ranger 4x4 XLT 3.0 liter. I've heard it has a transmission made by Mazda which might give me trouble down the road. Anyone ever have a transmission problem with one of these trucks?
    Would appreciate any other feedback concerning this purchase. I've had a Ranger for 16 years and had no major problems at all.
    Thanks for any help.
  • ricegradricegrad Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a used Ranger but don't know much about the different years/styles/etc. Any advice? The most important thing to me is reliability. But what can you tell me about variations like extend cabs and rear seats and all that? I don't know anything about it, so if you could fill me in on which models come with which options (and exactly what one means by "extend cabs" and all the other lingo) I'd appreciate it.
  • bohdalbohdal Member Posts: 1
    I am the '98 college grad and ready to buy 98 Ranger XL: plain vanilla; manual, perhaps A/C.
    The only "extra" is 7 feet (not 6 feet) bed (I am big boy).

Where do I look for good price? Leasing conditions?
  • jtruckjtruck Member Posts: 5
    anyone have any thoughts on why i should choose the 5sp 2wd extended cab 4 cylinder Ranger over the comparable (tacoma) or frontier (nissan)? The toyota and nissan out perform the ranger in every catagory (HP, torque, mpg, payload, towing). The foriegn trucks have a full 5 year engine and drive train warranty compared to ranger's 3 year warranty. They seem to ride nicer too. Sombody stop me, i'm passing up an american truck... Should'nt the Ford dealer be giving me a price break?
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    The only knock I've heard on the Ranger is the lack of power with the engine. Overall quality is supposedly very good. The Tacoma appears to be a very good truck, but I suspect you'll pay a bit more for the Tacoma than you will for a similarly equiped Ranger. If the price difference doesn't scare you away, the Tacoma may be what you are looking for. I've heard some dissatisfied customer remarks about the Frontier. You might check out the posts in the topic on compact trucks. If I'm not mistaken, the Nissan got a "poor" rating in the insurance industry crash test, whereas the Ranger and Tacoma both got "Acceptable" ratings.
  • HectoroHectoro Member Posts: 1
    what type of alarm would you recommend for a ranger, better stated what is one of the best/most reliable alarms in the market to get?
  • oliverokoliverok Member Posts: 3
    To ricegrad,

I have a 98 Ranger XLT with the 2.5 L engine and 5 spd. manual. The truck has plenty of power for basic transportation and for pulling a small boat. The power curve drops noticeably with the A/C on though. I traded out of an 85 Toyota Xtra cab that had 100,000+ miles. The few times that I had to buy repair parts from the Toyota dealer, it cost me dearly. An ignitor module without a coil was $314 + tax. In other words, the import was worth the purchase price; however, you will pay big bucks for the repair parts that you cannot get from an auto parts store.
  • rmnixonrmnixon Member Posts: 21
    I just bought a 98 4x2 supercab with a 4 cyl and a
    5 spd. Two things: first there is a drone with a slight vibration once I shift into 5th gear I have no idea what might cause this or if it is a normal sound of the truck. Number two the mileage I got on the first tank was 20 MPG (mostly highway) I am hoping this is just because the truck is new and needs to break in. I would appreciate any thoughts you all might have.
  • myshamysha Member Posts: 1
    GETTING READY TO PURCHASE A 98 RANGER XL 4 x 2 ( 4 CYL 2.5 LITRE) TOOK IT OUT FOR A TEST RUN AND IT SEEMED TO STRUGLE CHANGING GEARS EVEN THOUGHT IT WAS AN AUTOMATIC! AS WELL, WHAT'S THE GAS MILEAGE LIKE FOR THIS VEHICLE??
    To rmnixon,

My new 98 regular cab 4 cyl. 5-speed Ranger XLT is getting between 26-28 mpg with the a/c running. This is mostly hiway mileage. It has 2,000 miles now and I haven't noticed a change in the mpg. I also have a slight vibration if I shift into 5th gear below 50 mph. Over 55 the vibration is gone. The vibration is probably from the additional strain on the small engine.
  • chugachuga Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a 95 S-Cab, XLT, 4wd. Anyone have any comments to make about them?
  • grindlegrindle Member Posts: 4
    I too am looking for a new truck to replace my '88 Ranger xlt supercab 2 wheel drive. Looking for 4x4 supercab either Frontier,Tacoma or Ranger. Purchased 2 '97 4x4 Rangers with plows for work and love them. See Frontier as weak on power, but probably quite reliable and very affordable. See Tacoma as great truck that is grossly overpriced. Both will kill you in repair costs if ever needed. Ranger has great styling, and is mechanically bulletproof. Problem is RUST on Ford. Have replaced 2 gas tanks, spring shackle, rear breaklines, and soon a radiator mount. (And I really baby my vehicles with 3 coats of wax, pressure washing underside etc.) Anybody know how to keep a Ford from rusting out?
  • tkinpatkinpa Member Posts: 19
    Any word yet whether Ford will put the Explorer's V6 in 99 Rangers? I keep hearing how good it is.
  • twysstwyss Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 ranger splash. I took all of the information provided by Edmunds about actual dealer cost and ordered the exact model that I wanted. With the rebates I got a $20,900 vehicle for $16,300. I didn't really believe that the dealer would go for it but he did! They were just glad that not enough people looked up the info from a reliable source.
  • 18941894 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experience with the automatic shift extended cab Rangers? I've been comparing Tacoma's, Mazda's, and Nissan's. Unfortunately, the only one that "fits" me is the Tacoma and Mazda, and I've also read that the Ranger WOULD fit.
  • justus2justus2 Member Posts: 1
    Mine has 6 months on it and gets only 20-21 mph on the highway also. It also runs poorly using any brand and grade of fuel. By poorly, I mean has an engine "stumble" that all the other 4 cyls seem to have also (rangers I have tried).
  • sfosfo Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a '98 Ranger with the Supercab, 4X4, Std transmission and the 4.0L engine. I had an 87 4X2 Supercab std with over 150,000 miles. I loved that truck. It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned in my life. I eliminated the Toyota Tacoma as soon as I saw that it had manual locking hubs. The shift-on-the-fly system on the Ranger is real nice. The 4.0L engine has plenty of power, which is important to me since I tow a camping trailer. I get 20 to 21 MPG on the highway, which is acceptable. I haven't had a chance to test it in snow yet, but it pulled my camping trailer out of a tight spot with no trouble! I have noticed some uneven wear on the front tires, and am going to take it in for an inspection. Since it only has 6k miles on it, I can't really say anything about reliability yet. I did get the extended warranty, just in case!
  • coryrcoryr Member Posts: 2
    JackieS,

I just found this topic so I'm jumping in a little late. I owned a 1995 Ranger XL SuperCab 3.0L for 3 years. Overall a nice vehicle, but the engine never ran right. Computers were replaced, dealers squirmed, voices were raised, but the problem was never solved. If I ran 89 or lower it would knock like crazy under any load (acceleration, hills), and if I ran 92 or higher it wouldn't start. It would crank over 15 times before catching. I ran 89 with 5% ethanol for the best results. It still didn't like warm days or hills but it was the best I could do. I think it was the emission system leaning out my fuel mixture to acheive better pollution/mileage numbers, but I wasn't able to change it.

Other than the engine, I really liked the seats and the ride quality. It handled well, except for bumps of course, and looked great.
  • JockoJocko Member Posts: 13
    Has Ford come out with ant info yet on what the 99 Rangers will be like?
  • ricks2ricks2 Member Posts: 17
    Just hit 1K on my new '98 XLT Supercab and it is getting about 22MPG in the city (man. 5-spd, 4cyl. with AC). The 4-dr option really makes the supercab much more usable. I'm planning to take out the back seats though, there's no way anoyone over 3' tall could sit comfortably in them! I already removed the middle seatbelt in the front for the same reason.

-R
  • mikec13mikec13 Member Posts: 26
    I envy your city mpg. I've got around 1,400 mi on a '98 xlt x-cab 4x4 4.0L V6 auto and I'm only getting around 14 mpg city. But I do a lot of very short commuting in an area that is all hills. BTW, this is a very well-built truck...zero problems, quiet, handles nicely.

I'm 5'10" and I tested the middle of the front split-bench and the jump seats in our 2-door. Either could be useable for a short while. I think a 3-door with single jump seat would be the best compromise in a compact pickup for both access and a rear passenger.
    You learn something new most everyday. You are right about the Ranger and Mazda being basically the same truck. I found this out when shopping for some after-market accessories. Parts fit both trucks. Is Mazda a Ford vehicle like Saturn is a GM? Anyone know?
  • wkdfwkdf Member Posts: 2
    Mazda B series & Ford Ranger are the same truck coming off of the same assembly line in Edison NJ...only the nameplate and a few cosmetic touches are different...When I bought my 97 Mazda B 2300 they were offering a much better deal than the Ford dealer on the same truck...it wasn't even close...
  • ken11ken11 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading all the comments with interest. Does anyone have a handle on what a good price would be for a 98 Ranger XLT extended cab, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder engine, short bed? Only option Would be A/C.
    Like Tim_S said, the 2.5L seems a lot better than my old '96 XLT (2.3L). It runs smoother and there's not as big HP hit, when I turn the AC on.

The only thing I would like to see different, is the way the jump seats are stored. In my old '96, the seats folded into the sidewall. Now, they kinda fold back against the back wall, but still eat up a lot of cargo space.
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    #0 of 1: JW (jaton) Fri 14 Aug '98 (11:10 AM)

I am planning to purchase a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT
    Super Cab 2WD. I currently own a 1986 Chevy
    Blazer S-10. I would like to some input on the history of the Ford Ranger. I would like to know is it a good truck, is it dependable, what type of
    problems develop after years of use, and what are your personal experiences with this particular truck.

I would also like to know would it be wise to trade in my sport utility.

#1 of 1: ricks2 (ricks2) Fri 14 Aug '98 (11:35 AM)

I just got my '98 XLT last week (traded in the '96
    version). I had zero problems with the '96. The
    truck was absolutely perfect. The only reason I
    traded it in was because I wanted the new 4door
    version.
  • tim_stim_s Member Posts: 1
    I raised the issue of the Mazda B-series being the same truck as the Ranger a few days ago, and with a longer warranty to boot. Someone else mentioned that it's built on the same assembly line in the same NJ factory which is absolutely correct. It really came down to the dealer. When I went to trade in my '96 Ranger, my Ford dealer seemed disinterested and aloof. On the way home, I drove past the Mazda dealer which is much closer to my home anyway. They were extremely easy to deal with. Showed me the invoice, told me how much money they'd like to make on the deal (which was quite reasonable) and that was it. They even went to another dealer to get the exact color and interior I wanted. As for warranty service, you DO have to take it to a Mazda dealer -- not Ford -- but I'm happy to do that since it's so much more convenient anyway. As someone else mentioned, it really comes down to the dealer. I haven't had much warranty work anyway in the 10 months I've had this one. Routine maintenance is easy, which I do myself (saving receipts for warranty proof). I find it interesting that in many of Mazda's ads they refer to their truck as an "import," which of course it's not. They seem to be marketing it against the Nissan Frontier and Toyota pickup, but I think it's a great little truck regardless of what you're comparing it to.
  • larrywdlarrywd Member Posts: 2
    Have any Ranger supercab owners had trouble with the rear doors rattling?
  • mnchkn777mnchkn777 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Ranger XLT and if I knew before I bought it just how lousy it really was, I would have never bought it. I bought my Ranger with only 24 miles on it and have had nothing but problems with it. The only problem is, that I can't seem to get the Service Dept at the Ford Dealerships to do anything about it. All I hear is that the problems are normal because it is a truck. I may be female, but, I am not a total idiot that they seem to think I am. Word of advice before anyone buys a Ford Ranger: One of the Service Reps at the dealership I took mine to told me that "the engines Ford puts in their Rangers (4 cyl.) are weenies". I have tried talking to different dealerships and I have even tried talking to Ford Motor Company and have been unable to get any satisfaction. Anyone have any advice? I would greatly appreciate any advice that will help me get mine fixed before the warranty runs out.
  • jimontjimont Member Posts: 5
    My two cent re:Fords-- my brother had a 1990 Ranger which he meticulously maintained (power train wise) since he purchased it. His truck's A/C
    gave out after 2 weeks and the display/tuning on his stereo was screwed up from day one. He put up with this after one trip to the dealer for each problem failed to provide a permanent fix (don't ask me why.) The big problem came when the head
    gasket went after 113,000 miles of 3000 mi. oil changes and 40,000K coolant changes. He gave the car to charity and bought a base Dakota (he's not made of money.)

My research into Fords, conducted because we really like the Windstar, reveals stories of dealer incompetence and almost Soviet-style
    customer relations (ever wonder where the "Voice of the Customer" went after a few short months...
    they didn't want customer feedback but answers to
    pre-determined questions and I think they got more than they bargained for.) In the end we bought a Mercury Villager( because Sussex County Nissan, Stanhope NJ wasted our time), since they seem to be more reliable than other FoMoCo and Chrysler
    minivans and more affordable than Honda or Toyota
    minivans.

God help us if we have problems, because I agree that Ford customer service will probably SUCK after the warranty runs out.
  • jimontjimont Member Posts: 5
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the paint (dark red)
    which peeled after two years. The engine was a 2.9 V-6, FYI.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    What problems have you been having with your Ranger that the service departments won't help you with?

As a sidenot, I've been very happy with my '93 F350. If it wasn't for the redesign, I wouldn't be selling it even now.
  • bobstl4nowbobstl4now Member Posts: 3
    I was thinking about buying a Ranger but some of the stories I have read scare the daylights out of me. I have a Camry now and was considering a Toyota truck. The only thing that would stop me was the price. The Toyota's are expensive but reliable. Please help!
  • rthompson1rthompson1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving a Mazda B4000 extended cab 4x4 equipped very closely to the one in Edmunds new long term road test. I like the truck and will probably buy another in '99 or 2000. I have had one problem with a blown intake manifold gasket but my dealer took care of that. This is one tight truck. 10,000 miles now and still not a rattle. Fuel economy is 13.5 in city and have gotten as high as 19mpg on highway.
    BobF:

I looked at the Toyota Prerunner before purchasing a new Ranger XLT 2wd. I really like the Toyota, but it was $5K more than the Ford and didn't come with the back doors.
    . I have 2K miles so far an have had absolutely no problems. (I had a '96 Ranger, too, also with no problems.)
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    #0 of 2: Question about 88 ford pickup? (Sdwolff) Sat 29 Aug '98 (07:40 AM)

I have a friend that has an 88 ford ranger ext cab
    with a 4 cyl engine and 5spd tranny combo. other
    than some body damage the truck supposedly runs
    good. Is this a good truck as far as engine
    tranny combo?

#1 of 2: hubcap (hubcap) Thu 03 Sep '98 (01:56 AM)

It depends on what you want to do with the truck?
    For comuting purposes this would probably be fine
    but to tow anything or off road your best bet would be the v6. my brother-n-law has an 86 ranger with the v6 automatic and it is a nice truck. Faster than my S-10! It also has a touchy throttle as it will smoke the tires if your not carefull. I hope this has helped.
  • shawn5shawn5 Member Posts: 5
    to back up the ford ranger; I have had two rangers both 93 models. My first was a 4cyl 5 spd brand new and never had any problems with it. Then I bought a used 93 with around 40k on it, this one was a 3.0 liter v6 5 spd. I still drive that one and since it's purchase I have put 30x9.50 tires on it and still no problems in the power department. I've even been through some georgia mud that my buddies 4x4 jeep cherokee couldn't handle. And my truck is only two wheel drive. The ranger is a great truck and now that I'm getting ready to buy a super duty 250 4x4 with a v10 my wife wants the ranger. Need I say more?
  • shawn5shawn5 Member Posts: 5
    One more note to add to the praise of the ranger. I just had to tow a nissan hardbody for a nieghbor of mine and with the 3.0 liter v6 and 30x9.50 tires I still had no problem. god i love this truck. And now that I'll be moving back up to Pennsylvania i can't wait for hunting season and all those toyotas and nissans with the body lifts. I do believe that I'll be able to show up my fair share of these "4x4 Machines" when the real test of a truck comes to play.
  • FETZFETZ Member Posts: 51
    I don't buy Fords anymore.

I bought an '88 V6 automatic Ranger new, which was a fairly good truck - while it lasted. The only problems it had were two cracked exhaust manifolds and a bad catalytic converter that were covered under warranty. Unfortunately, in spite of my 3,000 mile oil changes, the engine was worn out at 74,000 miles. The dealer wanted $4,000 to rebuild it! So I traded it in on a new '93 F150 V8 (351) automatic.

That truck was the worst lemon I ever owned. The engine blew up at only 7,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty - after 2 weeks in the shop. The paint faded at 9 months old (Ford refused to repaint it). I had a myriad of other problems with it, which made taking it to the shop my second career. I finally traded it (after only 12,000 miles) for a new Chevy truck that I've been very happy with (3 years and 30,000 miles later).

My advice: DON'T BUY A FORD!!!
  • DonaldjrDonaldjr Member Posts: 6
    My cousin recently bought himself a 98 Ranger 3.0L. I was wondering if any of you know of a good mailing list for the Ranger? If you do, could you please post it along with subscribing instructions? Thank you.
  • cswallowcswallow Member Posts: 1
    1 Year ago I bought a used 88 Ford Ranger, at first I was happy with it. Then I started towing small trailers w/quads and this stupid truck could not handle it. I blew my rear main seal. I have made this expensive repair and selling it now. I'm buying a Chevy k2500 now. See ya FORDS.
  • xmusxmus Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at compact pickups for my wife. It'll be light duty, but I want to be able to load the bed and use the truck as a truck if necessary. We want a 4x4 for several reasons. The only trucks we've ruled out are Nissans, GMCs and Chevys. Comparing the Dakota and Ranger/B3000 trucks, I'm concerned about the 175hp vs the 150hp engines in the respective trucks. I'm leaning away from the Dakota because of problems reported here in the Town Hall. Here are my concerns:
    --Will I be disappointed with the less powerful engine?
    --Is it worth it to jump to the 4.0L Ranger or B4000?
    --Is 25hp that big of a deal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sandy
  • ghtrapghtrap Member Posts: 26
    xmus,

In my opinion, the 4.0 liter is worth the extra bucks, and it only gets 1 mph less gas mileage than the 3.0. They also couple it with the 5-speed automatic. The 4 cyl is too wimpy, the 3.0 is OK, but it's hard to beat the extra power of the 4.0 if you need it.

You also might want to consider the 4-door version of the extended cab. A fantastic idea, I think. Ford (and Mazda) have the extended cab world by the horns for small pickups. The others will have to play catch-up. These are really convenient!
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    to xmus,
    just curious as to why you ruled out the nissans
    and GMC trucks, they both have a better track record of reliability than the ford.
  • ghtrapghtrap Member Posts: 26
    cncman,

Maybe Nissan and Toyota rates better than Ford in the reliablility of their compact trucks, but certainly not GM! They are near the bottom of almost every consumer survey and magazine report for reliability. GM's full sized trucks rate much better than the compact S10/Sonoma.
This discussion has been closed.