Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Toyota PreRunner

truckdrivinmantruckdrivinman Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Does anyone have any news (availability, price$,
etc.) on the '98 Toyota PreRunner? It seems to be
available for viewing on the "net only!!

Comments

• SSNCHOPSSNCHOP Member Posts: 2
    Just bought one on Saturday (6/20/98). They started showing up at the dealerships in Northern Virginia in April. Mine is a fully loaded TRO V6 version that I paid $19,231 for.
  • tgralltgrall Member Posts: 3
    I got mine in April. A great idea, for those
    who can live without a 4x4 the 2 times a
    year when it's desirable. No problems with
    my truck so far, paid $17,100 with alloys and
    265s, conv. package, bedliner and a couple of
    other options. Oh yeah, I'm in MD.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    What the hell is a "prerunner"? Please inform me.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I believe it is a two wheel drive Tacoma, but still sits up high like the 4wd model. I think it has the bigger, meatier tires, like you might get on a 4wd off-road package. It might have a few other sporty items, but from what I can tell, it's a 2wd Tacoma that looks like a 4wd.
    The name comes from vehicles used to pre-run an
    offroad course before a race. It is the same
    as the Tacoma 4x4, minus the front-drive axle
    and transfer case. It also comes standard with A/C and automatic. V6 is an option.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    oh. Thanks for the info. I thought it was a new model.-ROC
  • yxryxr Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering on buying one. Any updates from current owners on gas mileage - I'm planning to use it as commuter vehicle.
    Plus regarding earlier post from SSNCHOP - what TRO stands for ? Is it TRD - Toyota Racing Development package ? Does Toyota offers it for PreRunners ? Thanks for sharing in advence.
  • tsinclaitsinclai Member Posts: 4
    check out

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/prerunner/

for more details (click the charts link on this page to get all the options)

sorry no prices here
  • jholcjholc Member Posts: 25
    I heard that the Pre-runner was going to be offered in TRD trim which I believe includes a locking rear differential. I also heard that the dealer would even offer the Supercharger package with it although that might be a rumor.
  • paulp575paulp575 Member Posts: 12
    I just ordered a PreRunner brochure from Toyota's 800 number (800)-GO-TOYOTA. They told me I should receive it within 5 to 7 days.

While I can't comment about a Supercharger Package, from what I remember, a locking rear differential will be available only with the 6 cylinder.
  • smithmansmithman Member Posts: 1
    To SSNCHOP,
    What options did you get on your prerunner (convenience pkg, power pkg, etc)? Also, what is the name and city/state of the dealer from which you purchased your truck? Trying to find a prerunner in New England is like a blind squirrel trying to find an acorn.

I drove the 4 and 6 cyl prerunners on a trip to the southwest in April. Seemed like a fine truck, especially the 6 cyl model. What are your thoughts after owning one for a few weeks? Do you think it would tow a 2500 pound trailer okay? Thanks for your help.
  • GwinGwin Member Posts: 2
    I am torn between the Dodge Dakota 2WD V6 and the Toyota Prerunner 4cyl. I prefer the Dodge because of its larger size but I am skeptical about the transmission. I am curious about any mechanical problems with the prerunners.
  • truckdrivinmantruckdrivinman Member Posts: 5
    SSNCHOP--
    Prerunners have finally arrived at a dealership near Baltimore. Both are 2.7l fours w/ the TRD pkg. Close to $19.5K for either. Your truck is about what I'm after. I could probably get by w/ the 2.7l for towing a 19 foot center console. How much did you pay before taxes for yours? Is the hp and torque in the V6 worth the cash? Can I haggle for this truck?
    Finally? I picked mine up 5/1 at a MD
    dealership. I ended up paying $900 under
    invoice.
  • BansheeBanshee Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my PreRunner V-6 July 4th. it's great although very hard to find at my local dealers,
  • truckdrivinmantruckdrivinman Member Posts: 5
    tgrall-
    I'll clarify the "finally arrived at" dealership locations specifically as Koons in Westminster and Antwerpen in Columbia. Two just arrived in Westm., none in Columbia as of yesterday. Any HELP you can offer would be appreciated!
  • gbp1gbp1 Member Posts: 2
    How does a locking rear differential work? Is it worth getting?
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Truckworld Magazine has named the Prerunner as their 1998 2wd Truck of the Year. www.truckworld.com
  • BMundayBMunday Member Posts: 1
    Any idea of if or when the PreRunner will be available in Canada anyone? I was planning on buying a Nissan Frontier XE King Cab 2WD but might wait for the PreRunner if I don't have to wait too long.

The reason I went to the Nissan in the first place was that the plain Tacoma 2wd sits too low to the ground. To me, it doesn't look like a real truck. Then again, I guess the same could be said of the Frontier right?
  • sbronsbron Member Posts: 2
    Thinking of replacing my 91 with a 99 prerunner. I have been talking to a dealer about ordering one because that's the only way I can get what I want which is almost everything. I want the sport seats of the "limited design" and power mirrors which are also from the 99 limited. I can have both at a price. I have only been able to drive the TRD version. I hope the ride will be softer without this package.

It would be a extracab V6, ABS, sport buckets, power mirrors, value pkg, all weather pkg, diff. lock, power pkg, moon roof, air and 265/75R15's on alloy rims.

Really want the height or I would stay with the 2X4. The seats in my 91 are similar but better than the Limited seats because they also have an adjustable lumbar support. And I find I use the power mirrors alot. Would be used primarily as a commute vehicle. Appreciate any comments.
  • lab357lab357 Member Posts: 3
    I am also looking at buying a 99 PreRunner with the Convenience Pkg., Power Pkg., Keyless Entry, and the Preferred Equipment Pkg. #2 which includes the tilt wheel, cruise control, larger tires, etc.
    It looks like $19,500 would be a good price. Any response on this would be greatly appreciated. I live in Tennessee and wouldn't need a 4 X 4.
  • fstrnufstrnu Member Posts: 1
    Ive driven the PreRunners for 99 and find them both (4cyl & 6cyl) somewhat underpowered, especailly with AC on. They do fine on the highway, but dont try to get out in front of anything from a stand-still...
    Recently I went down to the local Toyota dealer to inquire about available option combinations on the 99 PreRunner. The salesman took me outside and showed me the sticker on several Tacomas (not the PreRunner which they didn't have at the time). He told me options come in two categories: Factory and Port (I live in Alabama so the SE port distributor adds some options to the vehicles). He stated that factory options are decided at the factory - you can not order a PreRunner from the factory equipped the way you want it. He further told me the "port" options can be order to my desires. I feel that he basically was telling me was that I could not order a PreRunner with just the options that I want - I'd have to settle for what the factory "thinks" I want! Does anyone have information on ordering a PreRunner from the factory. (Hint: I don't want the power package that most V6 trucks come with. I want the PreRunner V6 because of the locking rear differiential.)
  • pinheadpinhead Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know the web address of TRD? I have searched a couple different ways and can't find it.

I have been thinking about a 4x2 PreRunner with the TRD supercharger. i think that its great that Toyota backs the supercharger with the full warranty. Has anyone out there done this yet?
    Pinhead -

I was just at the Toyota website. I saw a link to TRD. Click on Tacoma and then you should see a link on the Tacoma page - somewhere under the PreRunner section.
  • pinheadpinhead Member Posts: 33
    paulp575,

THANKS. Found it. Catalog ordered.

Pinhead
  • vlrogersvlrogers Member Posts: 1
    Well, I am feeling like I didn't make a good deal after reading that someone got theirs for 19,200. I paid 21,837. It is loaded with v6 power door/locks, cd player, cruise etc. According to the numbers I saw the dealer lost 300. on the deal. Any thoughts. Did I get taken?
  • ApexEnv34ApexEnv34 Member Posts: 23
    $19,200 don't mean much if the options are unknown. If I am right you got yours $300 below invoice, you must have a good deal. I have never seen a v6 toyota truck sold below invoice. However the dealer did not lose $300. So don't feel too good either that they were taken by you.
  • stevo24stevo24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at getting the 99 PreRunner very soon. I'd love to have it with a sunroof installed, but I'm 6'3" tall, and I've always had issues with the sunroof cutting into the height of the cab. Do any of the taller folks out there have any comments on their experience with the sunroof?
  • tom64tom64 Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if this applies to the Prerunner or not, but under "Dealer Incentives" Edmunds mentions a Tacoma B - Cab and a Tacoma C - Cab; Each has a differenct incentive dollar amount. Does any one know what they refer to? Regualar cab and xtra-cab? If so which letter applies to which cab?
  • jburgosjburgos Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone driven the PreRunner in the snow ? If so how did it handle?
  • desertdesert Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I'm really looking forward to buying a 99 Prerunner V6 Extracab. I've been doing a lot of research, reviewed all of the standard and optional features, and then found out that this Prerunner does not have the option of 5-speed manual transmission. Does anyone know why the Prerunner is the only Tacoma that does not have the 5-speed manual transmission? Is this actually true? This would be a huge disappointment for me if this information is true.
  • jps11jps11 Member Posts: 3
    The Prerunner only comes with an automatic. The new 2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner that will compete against the Prerunner is due out in May/June. It will only come in an extended cab version, XE or SE, with the 3.3 SOHC V6 and either an 4 speed automatic or 5 speed manual.
  • dhouledhoule Member Posts: 1
    I thought I'd pass on my experiences. Hopefully they will answer some of the questions posted here...

About two weeks ago I ordered a PreRunner from Vero Beach Toyota (FL). I did my homework on the Edmunds site before talking to any dealers. Vero Beach was the fourth, last, and best dealership I visited.

I ordered a
    99 4cyl XtraCab w/Black ext/Grey int
    SE (chrome trim,privacy glass,sliding rear window)
    Bucket seats
    Value Package III (mats,CD player,bedliner,toyo)
    Power Package (windows,locks)
    Convenience Package (tilt,cruise,tach,clock,etc)
    Color Keyed Fender Flares
    15" Enkei Alloy Wheels
    Reese trailer hitch

I added up the dealer cost for the base truck + dealer cost for each option + $300 for the South Eastern Toyota (SET) distributor fee + $400 for the dest charge + $300 fair profit (based on the Edmunds fair price formula.) The price I settled on with the dealership came to $19,900. I know the dealership made some money on me but I'm happy and they're happy (I payed exactly $2000 under sticker/MSRP)

Some things I learned along the way...

-Not all dealerships are create equal - take your time and don't let them talk you into anything. Get up and walk out to another dealership, eventually you will find one that will sell for your price. Do your homework before you step on the lot. It only took me 40 minutes to close the deal because I knew exactly what I wanted before I even talked to a dealer.

- The PreRunner ONLY comes in an automatic. Also, the on-demand positraction is not available for the 4cyl. One good thing about the 4cyl PreRunner, it has a slightly larger engine than the 4cyl "street" version. 2.7 liter compared to 2.4 liter

- If you live in the southern states (AL,FL,GA,NC,SC) you will get value package III on this truck whether you want it or not. The SET distributor (Mr. Moran) adds this package to every PreRunner automatically. Every other option can be added/deleted...if you are willing to wait for your truck to be shipped or located.

- It cost me (and the dealership) nothing (except the normal destination charge) to order the exact truck I wanted, so don't let them tell you it costs more.

- There are 2 different 15" alloy wheels I've seen around here. The Toyota wheels and the Enkei "Directional" and "Flat Face" alloys. Most of the dealerships around here use the Enkei wheels. Make sure you know what you'll be getting and what they look like.

- If you want color keyed fender flares (the ones that come on the 4x4's with the sport packages) you will have to pay about $255 extra (dealer cost) as there are no packages for the 4cyl PreRunner that include them. This individual option (flares) is not listed on Edmunds 4cyl PreRunner page.

- Option AA (15" wheel package) was a bit misleading to me in that I thought the "wheel arch moldings" were the fender flares. They're not. Also, the larger tires in the AA option (at least around here) have raised white lettering on them. I didn't want that so they let me keep the stock PreRunner tires and charged me less.

- I also requested that they not attach a dealership emblem to the body, instead, they said they would use a Vero Beach license plate frame. I have had problems with other vehicles in the past where corrosion has started around or behind these little emblems.

- I noticed the invoice price Edmunds lists (as well as our local loan interest rates) just went up a little - better get 'em, while they're hot!

Hope this didn't bore anyone. Heck, maybe it was even informative. If you want to know anything more feel free to e-mail me:

dhoule@health-first.org
  • kityhwkkityhwk Member Posts: 2
    To Uptime: Was the price of $19,900 including tax and license for a total out the door price?
    You really did your homework. You can e-mail me at kityhwk@aol.com. Also, what did you do with the wheel arch moldings that came with AA packet?
    Thanks for your information on color key fender flares.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I was going to buy a prerunner, but unfortunately I was unable to get the price I wanted haggling. I have been told that since the Prerunner was a new special truck the prices would not drop too much. Also, the dealer had only 4 cylinder Prerunners. Well, I bought extended cab SR5 4wd Tacoma with V6 auto for $23,5000
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    you guys need to check the incentives/rebates section here. There was a pretty large incentive ( $1,000 plus?) going, though I'm not sure if it's still on.

So, if these incentives are still on, if you're paying "$500 over invoice" you're paying too much. I heard a few examples in past weeks of people paying "below invoice" prices for Tacomas. Also, Tundras will be canibalizing a lot of their sales, so I'd look for further, deeper discounts on Tacomas in the coming months.

Also, as for Toyota's (in)famous "toyoguard package", toss that right out the window when comparing to other compact trucks. It's profit, pure and simple.
  • chiplawlerchiplawler Member Posts: 1
    I have had my PreRunner (Extended Cab V6) for 24 hours and have just one thing to say about it. Damn this is a fun vehicle to drive!

I have only had cars in the past (the last being a 1988 Honda Civic LX) and was a little nervous about buying a truck for the first time. It has been really great in traffic, I get to see what is ahead of me and people seem a little afraid to cut me off!

I got the "Sunfire Red Pearl" with the oak interior. It is a feast on the eyes! I did have some trouble getting it though. I ordered it from a local dealer and waited two weeks, all the time the fleet manager was telling me that it would be in at anytime. On Saturday (5-22) I was told that it would be at the dealership within hours. I called back on Sunday and the fleet manager that was there could not find it. I ended up driving to another dealership and finding the truck of my dreams. I got it for $250 bellow the invoice plus the $1000 rebate.

Here is the list of items it has;

Bucket seats
    TRD Off-road package
    Power Package
    Special Edition Package
    Tilt steering wheel
    Cruise control
    Digital clock - Hard to read, its in a bad spot.
    Carpeted floor mats
    Over the rail bedliner

Has anybody installed the TRD Supercharger? I am thinking about getting it a year down the road and I am concern about the life span of the engine.
  • k2skimank2skiman Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know how to get ahold of a regular cab Prerunner. I live in San Diego, and three local dealerships have told me that they have yet to have a regular cab sent out from Toyota, and although it's listed, they're not sure Toyota's producing any regular cab Prerunner's, or, at least, they're not shipping any to our region.
    --I would think that I could order one from the factory, but the dealers continue to argue that they are certain they can't order the regular cab Prerunner.
    --Any advice is appreciated.
    I have seen the regular and extended cabs prerunners here in the Northeast. They don't seem to be selling well here the prerunners. Ask the dealer to check the inventory of other dealers.
  • sushisushi Member Posts: 99
    Why would I want to get a Prerunner instead of a Tacoma 4x4?
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    Sushi, I'm wondering the same thing but maybe hauling around 500 or so lbs. of stuff you rarely use might be a factor. I'm sure gas mileage is 2 or 3 miles better. Seems like a good idea if you don't really need four wheel drive.
    So basically it's for looks?
    Well the Prerunner is the next best thing to the Tacoma 4x4. I used to work at the constructions sites and although you may not need the 4wd the clearance is handy.
  • zookazooka Member Posts: 2
    I have had it for a couple of days now and absolutely love it! I had a '91
    Toyota 4x4, and decided to go with the Prerunner because I just didn't use
    the front axle I much as I thought I would. I got the locking rear
    differential, which should get me out of some tight spots.

Great 4x4 looks, but without the cost of a 4x4!!!

Love it...

Joe Blanchard
    But If I go snow mongoosing, and forest 4x4ingm then it's not the greatest choice for me?
    Congrats on your new truck.
  • caloy101caloy101 Member Posts: 1
    i got my toy prerunner alil over a year ago... when they first came out.... i got it when it wasnt on toyota's homepage yet...... *i think* .. good looking toy... and it aint that heavy... i have the 4cyl engine.. and i must say.. its powerful enuff for my daily stuff...i love it ....... enjoy~
    Why would anyone want to get a PreRunner? Simple - if you seldom use 4WD, why spend the extra $2500 or so on a 4x4 when the V6 PreRunner comes with a locking rear differential. I used to own a '96 4x4 and used 4WD only when I needed to pull my boat or jet ski out of the river (very steep ramp!). The $2500 to $3000 savings on the PreRunner (at least according to Four Wheeler magazine's May 1998 issue) caused me to take a hard look at the PreRunner. I looked at both the '99 4x4 and the '99 PreRunner. After all was said and done, I purchase the '99 PreRunner with the V6 (so I could get the locking rear differential) and the TRD package. Haven't had to use the locking rear differential yet because the V6 is powerful enough to not have wheel slip coming up the ramp (the V6 is rated at 190 HP - my '96 was only a 4 cyl.). As for the TRD package - that is probably 'dressing' to an already good looking truck, but it gives me the 31" tires which results in (if you can believe Toyota's product description) a ground clearance of 12.4" - quite high for a stock vehicle.
    Definitely you would need a 4x4.
This discussion has been closed.