Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Toyota PreRunner

2»

Comments

• spkirkspkirk Member Posts: 10
    I'm thinking of buying a V-6 Tacoma Prerunner 2WD extended cab pickup. I had a chance to drive a 1999 4WD Tacoma Extended Cab and it was a lot of fun to drive. I have never owned a Toyota, but, I hear they are extremely reliable and pretty good on gas. If anyone has any shopping tips for the South Carolina market, I would appreciate the tips. Is there anything that I should know about Toyota and their dealers? Any help would be appreciated!
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    I recently when to a Toyota dealer in NC and was very surprised at the treatment I recieved after what I have heard of Toyota dealers in general. I didn't buy a Toyota but it sure wasn't due to the dealer. Their first offer on price for a prerunner with TRD was very close to invoice but I never took it any further.
    The gas mileage is a good plus for the prerunner.
  • scott3scott3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my first truck with an automatic transmission - don't have a
    choice with the prerunner. Is it normal for the shift selector to vibrate
    while driving? It's not a violent shaking or anything - just constant
    movement.

Thanks,

Scott
  • rotorrayrotorray Member Posts: 42
    ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE NEW NISSAN DESERTRUNNER? TRIES TO COMPETE WITH THE PRERUNNER. DEALER GOING INVOICE PLUS FEES ON THE INTERNET. SAW ONE ON THE ROAD AND IT LOOKS GOOD AND HAS THE V6 ENGINE, WHICH WILL RUN ALL DAY AND NIGHT. TOYOTA DEALERS ALSO DEALING ON THE PRERUNNER BECAUSE TUNDRA CUTTING INTO TACOMA SALES. NO DEALS ON TUNDRA YET. APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS...
  • eholmeseholmes Member Posts: 1
    I want that truck when I turn 16 in a year so bad I can tate it but I cant afford it any won have a suggestion
  • rotorrayrotorray Member Posts: 42
    ERIC, WHAT TRUCK ARE YOU DROOLING OVER, THE DESERTRUNNER OR PRERUNNER? NOW I FIND THAT NISSAN ALSO OFFERS A $1500 REBATE ON THE DESERTRUNNER ON TOP OF INVOICE PRICING BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG THE REBATE WILL BE IN EFFECT. DON'T YOU JUST LOVE COMPETITION!!
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    The shift selector does rock back and forth when the truck goes over rough pavement or surfaces.
  • donniemacdonniemac Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 99 std cab Prerunner in January. Pkgs including wheels and 265 tires, bucket seats etc., variable wipers. Added aftermarket cruise control. Paid 14419 including freight from a DC area Maryland dealer, Darcars, a very positive experience. Driven the truck to the Keys twice and got 23 mpg at 75 to 80. I was originally going to get a regular 2wd but the extras with the Prerunner: HD suspension, HD transmission, 2.7L 4cyl, larger gas tank, 15 inch wheels, skid plates, HD rear axle, etc. along with the 14k price convinced me otherwise. I noticed comments about acceleration but I have found that with the A/C off the truck is very peppy (4.09 gear). The A/C is a bit of a drag. The only complaint is with the mirrors. I wish the truck had power mirrors as the manual mirrors are knocked out of position too easily.
    I would recommend this truck to anyone and especially in place of the 4wd if all one needs is clearance.
  • mike00bethmike00beth Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know what the current (mid Aug) incentives are for '99 V6 2WD Xcab PreRunners? I've heard $300, 500, and 700 from different dealers plus I heard 1500 (?) from a friend tonight.

Thanks.

-Mike
  • adamf1adamf1 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently looking at a used 99 Prerunner at a dealership. It is four cylinder, xcab, w/ cruise and a bedliner. It has 26,000 miles. What should I be thinking of paying? Is 15K too much, too little, or just right? Does the fact that new 99 prerunners are discounted now help me at all?
  • diego2diego2 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anybody out there that is having a problem with their prerunner (1998) jerking forward after coming to a complete stop and then releasing the brake? please advice.

diego
    Adam

Check out Kelly Blue Book

http://www.kbb.com

or NADA

http://www.nada.com
    Diego

I have heard that jerking or thumping as some say is due to the rear brake adjusting themselves when stopping.
  • randytynerrandytyner Member Posts: 2
    any news as to the price increase anticipated for year 2000... Please list your best price u have paid for a loaded Extended cab Prerunner with the TRD package and date and any news of the price increase,. Thanks in advance.
  • hvnguyenhvnguyen Member Posts: 7
    I'VE GOT A REALLY GOOD DEAL ON MY PRERUNNER V6, TRD AT 19900, PLUS 1000 REBATE WHICH MAKES IT TO 18900. I THINK IS IS WAY BELOW INVOICE.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Looks like they dropped the price 500 bucks on these trucks....I like it!
  • smokeyd123smokeyd123 Member Posts: 1
    i was looking at a 99 demo pre runner with 6 cyl,cruise, cd/radio/tape, automatic, air, trailer hitch - 1100 miles.. what do you think a good price is?
    thanks in advanace
    dan
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    invoice price drops on 2k models though...
  • alexm3alexm3 Member Posts: 2
    I LIKE THE XCAB PRERUNNER, BUT ONLY THING I DONT LIKE COZ ITS ONLY 4 PASSENGERS INCL.DRIVER, AND I END UP BUYING THE XCAB TACOMA 2WD (SMALLER ONE) COZ IT HAS BENCH SEATS AT THE FRONT AND WILL FIT 3 PEOPLE AND TWO AT THE BACK, TOTAL OF 5. AND I HAVE 3 KIDS AND A WIFE. BUT CAN I RAISED IT UP INORDER TO LOOK LIKE PRERUNNER? RIGHT NOW I JUST WANT TO RAISED THE BODY FIRST AND PUT BIGGER TIRES. HOW MANY INCHES I NEED TO GET THE PRERUNNER HEIGHT?
    I NEED SOME ADVISES PLEASE.THANKS FOR ADVANCE.
  • cmbakercmbaker Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in buying a 2000 prerunner. Can anyone give a report on theirs. Which engine is more reliable the 2.7 or the 3.4? Can you get one with a standard transmission yet?
  • batadbatad Member Posts: 8
    I've seen several rumors that the Tacoma will come out w/ their own 4-dr version sometime next year. Anyone else hear any rumors?
  • tsunami_waketsunami_wake Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know whether or not the Toyota fixed that damn side-impact problem they have on the 2000 Tacoma? The down-right ridiculously bad side-impact crash test rating the NHTSA gave for the 1999 model is one of the few problems that's keeping me from deciding on a Tacoma.
  • marco2coolmarco2cool Member Posts: 2
    Why would you pay for a vehicle that has all the 4wd equipment but no 4wd. You still have all that weight and the vehicle doesnt handle any better. Seems like there are plenty of fake people around.
  • hiawaseehiawasee Member Posts: 3
    I'm also concerned with the side impact rating. Was the test done on a regular cab or larger cab, was it a high ground clearance prerunner or a regular tacoma?
    Why is it not avaliable for the 4cylinder Prerunner? Can it be added after market?
    I purchased a 4 runner a few weeks ago and noticed on a topics board for them a lot of discussion about aftermarket add ons. Brush guards, Lights, Stereos, racks etc. Is there a page devoted to this for Tacomas??
    I am looking at a new 2000 and wondered how one would look with Brush guars etc.
  • prerunnerv6trdprerunnerv6trd Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 Prerunner Extended Cab V6 TRD 9 days ago. It's my first truck ever and I love it!! Get the V6 -- having that power when you need it is nice. I test drove a 4 banger too, but it just wasn't the same. But either one is just as reliable. I don't think they'll come out with one in std. tranny.
  • prerunnerv6trdprerunnerv6trd Member Posts: 2
    Marco,

Well, if you get the PreRunner TRD, you get progressive rate springs, bigger sway bar, locking rear diff, heavy-duty gas shocks, higher ground clearance, big offroad tires, etc. That *does* give you better handling and the ability to take on rutted dirt roads, muddy roads, offroad areas and even sand with confidence. You just can't go climbing boulders like you can with 4WD.

That does not add nearly the weight you get when you have true 4WD and the extra transfer case.

Also, you aren't paying for 4WD. 4WD adds a lot more to the price.

I think of the truck as being between a 2WD and 4WD. Just because the truck addresses needs that certain people don't think are important, doesn't mean the people who buy it are "fake".
  • katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    I THINK ANYTHING AFTERMARKET ON A TACOMA LOOKS LIKE COMPLETE CRAP!THEY LOOK FINE JUST THE WAY THEY ARE WITHOUT THOSE CHEESY BRUSH GAURDS AND ROLL BARS ETC................
  • dj116adj116a Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy my 1st truck and I think a 1998 Prerunner might be it. I was wondering how the prerunner ride with and w/o the TRD package compares to the 4x4 ride on pavement. Also I was wondering how important it is to get locking differential...it seems not practical if it can only be used under 5 mphr. Thank for your input,

dj116a
  • katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    the trd just rides soooooo much nicer.i have a 97 4wd x-cab and the lease is up this month and i'm definetely getting the trd this time.just go to the dealer and compare trucks,bounce on the back end of a non trd then a trd and you will see the difference.
  • dabigkalunadabigkaluna Member Posts: 1
    I just brought home my new 2000 PreRunner.It is the new 2000 only color Black Sand Pearl.I have one thing to say,WOW!The TRD suspension takes on almost everything, living in Hawai'i there are abundant places to go OffRoading and so far the Toy has made it out with no problem I have yet to put the differential to real use.I'm soon looking to get the TRD exhaust system and TRD headers, along with the supercharger in the very near future, I was wondering if anyone had any info on the performance gains of these items.Thanks again.
  • paulp575paulp575 Member Posts: 12
    Want more information on Tacomas from those who already have one? Just go to

www.tacomaterritory.com

On the web site there's a message board as well as every Monday night beginning around 8:00 PM Central time there's a chat. Topics cover anything and everything about Tacomas.

Paul
    '99 PreRunner TRD V6
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    As a result of 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.