Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The six speed manual was off restriction for about a week and a few orders made it in to the system. It's made by New Venture, same as the five-speeds.
    update on my last post:

The NVG 6 speed manual is on restriction until the end of February. But more good news for us oil-burner fans - the following link is confirmed by several dealers. Cummins/Allison, anyone?

Allison 6 speed automatic for Cummins Ram
  • wheeler2wheeler2 Member Posts: 13
    I'm ordering a Ram 2500 in the next few days. I've done a fair amount of home work on it but have not been able to find much info. on the mileage of the V8 compared to the V10 (yes I've been to the mileage town hall). I expect to use the truck much the same as Sdwolff in response #38 with some light towing added (2000-4500lbs). I also plan to get the 5 spd and 3.54 axle as Sdwolff does. I have seen very few V8 powered 2500's am I correct in thinking that the V8 is just barely adequate for the 2500? I looked at the 1500 also as it would do for my use, but lost interest when the dealer said you can't get the 5 spd with the 5.9. I also was quite suprized to find that when the 1500 and the 2500 are equiped the same that they are the same price! So for $400 and some change I can have the V10. Plus the 2500 would have better resale value?
    The 2500 will hold its value pretty well, but the difference in engine price dissolves quickly - after three years, there's only a $100 difference in resale value between the V8 and V10 2500s and 3500s.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I just found out today that my truck was shipped on 2-2-99. I called Chrysler and the rep said it left Mexico and will be heading for Laredo, TX, then on to Delaware, then through to Linden, NJ. He said a "conservative" arrival date would be two weeks from shipping. Needless to say, I'm hoping for sooner. I just hope with all those train changes they don't bang it up!

The next call I get should be that it's here....I'll let you all know.
    ladyblue,

I'll bet you wish NJ's license plates were still blue, dontcha? :)
  • wheeler2wheeler2 Member Posts: 13
    In my posting #109 about V10 mileage I failed to mention the truck would be a QC 4WD. I'm not too concerned about the engine value. What I was trying to get at is if the 1500 and the 2500 are almost the same cost is a person better off to buy the 2500 for the trade-in value down the road?
  • texaszachtexaszach Member Posts: 119
    I ordered a 99 QC 2500 4x4 5sp Cummins today. The salesman said the 6 speed is on restriction at this time, limited to Cab/Chassis only and in limited numbers at that. He also talked me out of the 4.10 gears because of bad fuel mileage and a top speed of approximately 75 m.p.h. Can the top speed be that limited with the 4.10's? Anyone have any experience with this one?

(Ladyblue) For what its worth, this same salesman also said it takes a week longer to get a truck from Satillo, Mexico than it does from St. Louis. If that is true, two weeks to get yours may be a tad bit optimistic.
    kcram:
    Yeah, I wish they were....I may have to move to Connecticut. :)

texaszach:
    Hey, I'm an optimist! At least I know it's out there rolling along.
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    Many of the rodeo crowd around Oklahoma drive Cummins-powered Dodge 2500s and 3500s. I have talked with several who said the 3.54 was more than adequate for pulling even the large trailers. And yes, they do comment on a top end speed in the low eighties with the 4.10.
    My 3.54-axled 3500 4x4 Cummins has hit 94 mph. (Did I say that???)
  • thecowdoctorthecowdoctor Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I am looking for some info and this appears to be the place.
    I am looking at buying a basic truck, 1996 Ram 1500 extended cab short box with the 318 and automatic. It seemed to test drive OK and is A! shape. Currently shows 105000 KM (about 63000 miles for you lucky people that don't have to live with metric). Any ideas on realistic fuel economy with this truck (the Expedition that is going back off lease was a drinker)? Anything I should really check out on this truck? The dealer is offering an extended warranty..is it necessay with this truck? ANy and all advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • magyarmagyar Member Posts: 1
    As "thecowdoctor," I'm looking for some realistic information on Dodge Ram pickups with the Cummins diesel engine. Our horse doctor has a 1996 extended cab Dodge Cummins diesel with automatic transmission. She claims to get 22 - 25 miles per gallon of diesel soloing on the highway and 16 mpg pulling 12000 lbs of hay on a gooseneck flatbed trailer. City fuel mileage is claimed to be between 18 - 20 mpg. While I do not doubt she is sincere in stating these fuel consumption figures, I wonder if this is a realistic expectation or does she just have an exceptionally frugal engine? I'm also curious about maintenance costs compared to a gas engined truck. Does anyone have any fuel consumption figures for a Cummins diesel measured over an extended period of time rather than a one-time check on a downhill run from Albuquerque to Amarillo with a 50 mph tailwind and an unloaded truck? Does anyone know of any publications which have tested and published the results of fuel consumption tests on Cummins diesel Dodge trucks?
    magyar,

If your horse doc has the 3.54 axle, then her mileage is very realistic. My Ram 3500 (club cab, 4x4, dually) weighs in at 7000 pounds, and I can get 22 mpg out of it at a steady 55 mph. At a steady 65, I get 19-20. From her figures, it sounds like she has a 2500, which gains 1-2 mpg over the 3500 dually.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    magyar, Sounds like the horse doctor has a light foot. I don't... I have a 98 Q-Cab 2500 24V Cummins 3:54 auto. I get 16-17 around town, 20 hwy(70mph), 13-14 towing 7000 lb 5th wheel (65mph). Great truck! Awsome power! It will pull anything you can hitch to it.
  • earsonlyearsonly Member Posts: 9
    Hi, Yall. new to this place. Fell in love with my buddy's 2500 ram. Love the Cummins Diesel. A lot of Ford and Chevy owners say stay away. What's the scoop? I hope I don't have to give up on one of these. Earsonly
    earsonly:

Welcome to the Town Hall! It's always good to add a new friend to the forum.

If you scroll back and read some of the previous posts, you'll find some good, objective opinions on all three trucks.

Personally, I've never owned a Chevy truck, but I have owned the Ford (loved it) and am awaiting (anxiously) the arrival of my new Ram 1500.

My best advice to you is to do some research. Compare all three, go to a dealership and look them over, and test drive each. They all have their good points, and it may just come down to individual taste plus individual needs.

People will argue endlessly over looks, performance and price. I switched from Ford to Dodge for many reasons, but one of the biggest is I love the "big rig" look of the Dodge. Remember, whatever you choose, you've got to live with it for quite awhile, so choose wisely. :)
    earsonly, What would you expect to hear from Ford and Chevy owners. Ignore them and follow your heart. The Dodge is a great truck, and like anything else if you take care of it and treat it with respect it will give you many years of faithful service.

The Cunnins is the best diesel on the road. They have a reputation that is unsurpassed. It is true diesel in every respect. FEEL THE POWER!

When they come out with that 6 speed Allison automatic...God help the competition.
  • 4myjob4myjob Member Posts: 19
    Howdy Folks
    I just finished reading all your postings since Dec. Some good information there. I'm looking to buy a 2500 5.9L QC 4x4 SWB and am wondering about the axle ratio. After reading the recent discussion about the diesel, three questions come to mind about the truck I'm looking at: 1) will I lose top end speed with the 4.10? 2) does the 4.10 accelerate faster or slower? and 3) what will be the effect on gas mileage? Thanks in advance for any information.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Don't worry about it with the gas engine. Remember, diesels get rev-limited below 3000rpm (my Ford was 2800, what's the Cummins?). You won't have any problem with that with the 5.9L. The 4.10 would accelerate faster than, say, a 3.73 (and slower than a 4.56) and get you worse mileage.
    stanford,

here are the rev limits:

in gear Neutral
    ----------------------------------------------
    Cummins 12v w/ manual - 2800 rpm 3000 rpm
    Cummins 12v w/ auto - 2700 rpm 3000 rpm
    Cummins 24v - 3200 rpm 3500 rpm
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    That 24v revs high! That's gotta be nice on the highway.
  • wilbrowilbro Member Posts: 4
    I started looking for a truck a few months ago to pull our travel trailer - 24', 5000 lbs. As we love the mountains I wanted to err on the side of power so have been researching F250 & Ram 2500 Diesels.

A few weeks ago I decided, reluctantly, to review the Town Hall boards. Reluctantly because my experiences with BBs and/or chats has been limited. Rather than finding meat I seem to find cow chips (most should be called "Bull Boreds").

I started with the Dodge Ram board and was shocked. Nearly every post was by interested, and interesting, people who were informed and helpful.
    (I just found out I have to keep it shorter)
    I also checked out the Ford & Dodge board and was, again, pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness and civility - fully expecting to get die-hard, one brand only, hard-noses. (Only when I went to the Ford, Dodge & Chevy did I see the "my thing is bigger/better/tougher/faster than your thing" - there's something about those Chevy people)

Anyway, I found the right dealer & price and yesterday drove home my SLT2500 Quad 4x4 Cummins. Thanks for the help and for a great board.
    stanford,

The increased rev range was one of the things Dodge requested of Cummins. Add in the fact that a diesel can easily hit its governor in overdrive, and you've got some speed. My Ram can hit 94 in overdrive at 2600, so if I had a 24v engine, I could easily get to about 110 (the torque is there to do it).
    Thank you, LadyBlue and you too Mharde2. As much as these 2500 cost, I will for sure make my choice wisely. Maybe I will get to meet yall at a Cummins rally somewhere. Do you subscribe to the The Diesel Register? It's really helpful. Happiness always, earsonly Zsterpup@aol.com
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    A friend who owns a 99 2500 Cummins, 5sp. man., QC, SB, 3.54 had it up to 120 MPH. Said there was still pedal left and didn't realize it was going that fast until she looked at the speedometer. On a trip to Texas it got over 24 mpg empty.
  • steve103steve103 Member Posts: 2
    Is there a Ramcharger in our future? I have heard
    rumors of a new Ramcharger for the 2000 models.
    Has anyone else heard about this? My dream would be for a Ramcharger with a Cummins! Should I wait
    or be happy with a Ram 2500? In advance, thanks for all of the help.
    There already is a Ramcharger - just one problem - you can't have it:

Ramcharger
    Why would they market the Ram Charger only in Mexico? The American market would have to be 1000 times greater, + Canada. Whats to stop someone from buying one in Mexico and bringing it north of the border? Plus you could make a nice little mark up if you had some buyers. Or would that be considered smuggling?
    mharde,

Mexican Rams and Ramchargers don't meet US safety or emissions specs, and there's no fuel economy regs since Mexico is a major oil producer. The Mexican Ram 1500 originally offered the V10! There is even a full medium duty Ram 6500 in Mexico that looks terrific - would give the Ford F650/750 and GM C6500/7500 a run for their money.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    KC

Any web site offering pixs/specs of the Mexican Ram 6500?

Bob
    Bob,

Chrysler Mexico's webpage (www.chrysler.com.mx) used to have great pics and stats of it, but the truck is still available. I'll drop a pic to you in the mail if you want to see it. The Chrysler Mexico site does have the Ram 4000 (a match for the GM 3500HD and Ford F450). I love the mirrors on it - I wish they came on US spec trucks.
    Called Chrysler again today...my truck should arrive in Delaware by Saturday. That's only about 4 hours from here, but the rep said it probably won't get here until Monday at the earliest. I guess they have to slow down for a lot of RR X'ings between there and here.

The suspense is killing me......
    Looks like we're gonna have to strap some gym weights or something to ladyblue to keep her from bouncing off the walls til next week :)
    I'd tell you what a great time I'm having with my new Ram but I better not or you'll really feel bad about having to wait.
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    The last few days are the hardest ladyblue, but hang in there. Just think, in a week you'll be telling all of us how great your new truck is. Good luck.
    kcram, wilbro & sd99:

Thanks for the encouragement guys! You have more patience with me than I have with this waiting thing!

Talk about obsession, I even got out a map and tried to find where the rail yard in Linden is - like I could sneak in there and find my truck. Yeah, right! However, it IS easier to type since I've bitten all my nails off.........
  • wpeng1wpeng1 Member Posts: 12
    I am planning to buy a ram 1500 2wd 5sp as my first truck, and never driven a truck before. Any comment about the manual tranny, the feeling of clutch and shift? pros and cons?
    Any comment is highly appreciated!
  • electhorse38electhorse38 Member Posts: 1
    Just stumbled onto this site. Am researching D's and F' trucks. You guys are a crackup.
    Ladyblue and her ramcharger......
  • ronb2ronb2 Member Posts: 3
    Its good to hear of a lady that knows, likes, and is interested in trucks ... I asked my wife what kind of truck I should by to replace my F-150 ... She said "A red one"!

(I'm now shopping for a Red 1500 series Ram.)
    You go, ronb2!

Red was my second choice, but it's very popular and I like to be different. ;)

I've loved trucks since I was a child and could never understand why my brothers always got those really cool Tonkas and I got stuck with dolls. At the age of 4 I set out to prove that Tonka trucks are not indestructable. With a bread knife and some patience, they can be completely disassembled. (Boy, did I catch it for that!)

It's taken me a lot of years (I won't tell you how many) to work up to the truck of my dreams. If the Ram 3500 dually had been practicle for my needs, I probably would have gotten that. More power! Argh argh argh!!

Good luck with your shopping. I've seen some of those red Rams on the road, and they're really beautiful.
    ladyblue

Awwwww Boooo - get the dually next time anyway - we can drive side-by-side up the GSP and keep the car people from seeing past us LOL
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Isn't that GSP like the Grand Central Parkway Parking Lot on Long Island?
    yep, akj, it is most of the time. The fun part is, the norther\n half of the GSP has many stretches with severely narrowed lanes (the Drisocll Bridge is downright scary now).
    Well, here it is Monday and STILL NO TRUCK! So far I've harrassed everyone I can think of and I can't get any info on when it will be in. To make matters worse, today I was at Bradlees and I saw a Ram 1500 with the sports package in the same color I'm getting. I'm glad I didn't get the sport package - those blue bumpers and grill do nothing for me.

I just have to keep chanting - patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is........
    Whew! LadyBlue, I drove down to the Dodge Dealer in Arkansas and Drove off with a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT with the Cummins Diesel. Man, what a ride. I hope that I can get 24 mpg like the lady from Texas that was doing 120 mph. The dealer told me to drive the heck out of it to break it in, since I wasn't gonna haul a trailer right away. Hang in there and soon you'll have that big grin like I have. Earsonly Happiness always.
  • goldrushgoldrush Member Posts: 20
    LadyBlue

Be happy! I ordered my 99 2500 cummins QC the beginning of Jan and still don't have a build date yet. :( . I ordered the six speed so I don't know when it will be here. Have fun when you get yours.
  • 606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    goldrush,

You may want to check out the following chat board
    for the 6 speed transmission status:

http://www.anyforum.com/for/CumminsBoard/posts/322.shtml#322
  • rockfive0rockfive0 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me? I am doing research for my new Pick up. I have heard a lot of great things about the Dodge cummings diesel. The only thing I haven't heard is what type of mileage it gets. I have friends who own the ford Powerstroke and they tell me it gets better mileage that the dodge. Can somebody out there give me some information on the mileage of the 5.9 diesel? the last thing I want to do is to be forced to buy a Ford for the mileage !!!!!
This discussion has been closed.