Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram

Comments

• jerryg4jerryg4 Member Posts: 13
    Ladyblue-
    I too would like to use something made for that purpose. Considering that a lot of people have toppers and would probably like to keep the back reasonably clean, I was quite supprised that the gap was not weatherstripped from the factory.
  • tmd01tmd01 Member Posts: 23
    The Dodge Power Wagon reminds me of an older Power wagon of vintage 40's range. I remember seeing Earl Flynn? being presented with one. It was a very rugged looking truck. I'd like to have one. But this new one looks like it might get beat up a bit on the trail.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Just an update on an earlier post....I spoke to the Dodge dealer again concerning the mileage limit of my proposed lease - 12,000 vs. 15,000. When I told him I was aware of the dealer holdback, and how since I was factory-ordering he'd be getting the full percent on this, he jokingly threatened to cut my phone lines to my computer and gave me the 15,000 miles at no extra cost.

Two years ago I was ripped off by my local Ford dealer. Although I was upset at the time, I didn't know until now the full extent of it. When it came time to close the lease on the truck I got from him, he again gave me a line of BS and actually got angry with me when I told him I was looking at Dodge. I got the name of another Ford dealer from AutoVantage and called them, but they never returned my call. Two thumbs down for Ford, with an extra boot in the pants for Licardi Ford, Watchung, NJ. I will be sure to wave at them as I drive by in my shiny new Dodge Ram!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Ladyblue

I did the route 22 Ford dealers years ago - and I never left with a new one. The Fords I did have were obtained elsewhere, and after the last F-series, you'd have to give me a Ford free to get me to drive one again. And I certainly won't shop ANY dealer on 22...
    kcram,

You are so right! I hit every dealer on Rt. 22 and came up empty. Besides the above mentioned Ford dealer, the so-called Chevy dealer only had ONE truck on the entire lot, and the Dodge dealer pulled the "what do we have to do to get you in a new truck today?" schpiel. This kid was greener than the truck he was trying to sell me. The GM dealer acted like he was wasting his time and wanted to know why such a "little lady" needed such a big truck.

I ended up at Linden Motors (thru AutoVantage) and they have been princes!
  • DmatDmat Member Posts: 43
    You guys are making me homesick. Please stop with the Rt 22. Talk about the toll boths every quarter mile on the GSP. :)

Matt D
    Anything you say Matt...I can see exit 136 from here!! Don't you love how when you ask someone from New Jersey where they live, they usually answer with an exit number?

Cheer up, you aren't missing anything...New Jersey is still the armpit of the nation!!
    BTW, is there a website where I can see a recent road test of the Ram 1500? Edmund's doesn't have one, even going back as far as 1996. Is this because it's not a new design? Shouldn't they do an update of these road tests every year? Seems they only test new trucks or revamped models. With this method, they're only testing new models against each other, disregarding the old "stand-bys" that have been around for a couple of years.

Please excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question.
    ladyblue,

Not a silly question at all:

Truck Trend's current newsstand issue has a test of 4x4 extended cab short-bed half-tons, so expect it on their website (www.trucktrend.com) soon.

Motort Trend has a compariosn of two wheel drive trucks at
    http://www.motortrend.com/august98/trux/trux_f.html

A fairly lame road test can be found at
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/dodge.html
    Matt,

Ever sincew I-78 was finished, route 22 just hasn't been the same :)
  • fitz99fitz99 Member Posts: 1
    Can any give me a web site that has reviews on the 99 Ram 1500? I've been to Edmunds and they don't any reviews for the 99 models. Thanks.
    fitz,

No one has tested a 99 Ram 1500 yet, because outside of the Sport model trim changes, there's nothing really to test. Expect plenty of tests in 2000 when the 4.7L oHC V8 replaces the 318, as well as the rumored Quad Cab changes (Trex reports in his topic #486 that the Quad may be enlarhged next year).
    I also heard that the quad cab will grow by 5 inches next year. Too bad I can't wait another year, I sure could use the extra leg room in the back.

Thanks, kcram. I, too, was looking for info on the 99 Ram 1500. I assumed there weren't any road tests done because it's not "new".
  • tolleyactolleyac Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in ordering a new 3500 quad cab ram. Does anyone know if dodge is going to offer any incentives or rebates in the near future.
    tolley,

You will be very hard-pressed to get a rebate on a 3500 unless you qualify for Farm Bureau or commercial discounts. I have a 96 3500 Club, and it was ordered and delivered at the negotiated price. Many Dodge dealers will be reluctant to do much else, simply because the 3500 is such a low-demand truck, especially when customer-ordered. If you back out of the deal, they may have trouble selling it off the lot.
  • DmatDmat Member Posts: 43
    I disagree. I don't think that the 3500 is a low demand truck, however this may be a regional thing. Out here, the popularity of the Dodge is not slowing down one bit. I would not have a problem selling an ordered unit that would not be picked up.

Tolleyack, look into a business rebate. You can also save more money on the back end (finance rates) then what you can do on the front). Go and set up a home business, make sure that you get your tax ID#. Use this for your rebate, (If we still have them on Business). This may allow you to have a deduct for the I.R.S.

I'M NOT A C.P.A. OR A LAWYER, HENCE, I AM NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE LEGAL OR TAX ADVISE OF ANY KIND.

Matt D
    http://members.xoom.com/99overNvoice/Index.htm
    Matt:

Love your website. Too bad I don't live near Albuquerque. Unfortunately, the trip out there would negate any savings I might get from you! You wouldn't consider moving back to Jersey......?

Just an update on my truck - I'm waiting for a call back with the build/delivery dates. I feel like such a pest calling these guys so much, but OH! the waiting is a killer! :)
  • rglissonrglisson Member Posts: 1
    Have a friend with a '98 RAM 1500 2WD, SB. The problem is that when shifts into overdrive, you get a bad vibration in transmission. This is due to the fact that the motor is not turning fast enough to engage overdrive system. Crysler says that they are aware of problem, but EPA will not approve computer chip to change the shift points in transmission. Anybody else had this problem? Dealer is no help. Please email if you have. Thanks.
  • 606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    mharde2,

How many miles do you have on your truck now?
    Thinking of trading my reg cab for a quad. Do you have any clearance problems with your 5th wheel and the cab when turning? How sharp a turn can you make? Do you have an extended kingpin? We'll planning a trip to Disney World in June.

Take care,
    Ron
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    to the front page of www.edmunds.com will be the 1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4 Quad Cab Sport Road Test.

Watch for it and then let us know what you think!

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, edmunds.com
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Hi Ron, I have about 15,000 miles on mine now. Still running great..I have no problem with the short bed and the 5th wheel. I have a 26' Terry 25 5H. I can make a 90 degree trun with no problem. It does have an extended pin box, but yours should have one too. Isn't yours abut 26-27'.
    Disney World sounds great. Let me know how it goes there. I want to do that one in the next year or so.
    Good to hear from you...Mike
    I called the dealer Tuesday night to see if they had any dates on my truck and guess what?.....they never called me back! Guess I'll just HAVE to be a pest and call them again.

I know it's only been 3 weeks since the order was placed, but shouldn't they at least have some info by now? Is it true that small dealerships are a lot slower getting delivery? When I ordered the truck I explained to the sales manager that I only had until the end of March to keep my old truck.

Anyone have any experience with Ram orders?
    I just spoke to my salesman and he said Feb. 3 is the estimated ship date!! My new Ram should be here around Valentine's Day...isn't that sweet? Maybe they'll tie a big red bow on it, ya think?
    Ladyblue, congrats!! Make sure they save the window sticker for you. Since you ordered it, it will have your name on it: "This vehicle was built especially for..."

----------------

Ok, I just read the Edmund's Road Test, Bonnie mentioned above, and I'll try not to get too wordy :)

1) It's Cummins, not CumminGs - those of us who own one can always tell when a "newbie" got hold of one with this misspelling.

2) The active redline of the engine is just 3200 rpm, and the idle redline is 3500. If Mr. Brauer really did get his truck up to 4000, I'm sure someone at Cummins would like to speak to him. The torque rating is only 460 lb-ft, according to both Cummins and Dodge, not 480.

3) The brakes were functioning properly (unfortunately); one must remember how much that engine weighs. The Cummins makes the Ram extremely nose-heavy, reducing the contribution by the rear brakes. Despite it's much smaller displacement, the Cummins weighs some 300 pounds more than the V10, and you can feel it as you drive empty. As a clue, look at it this way - just one cylinder of the Cummins is the approximate displacement of the entire three cyliner Geo/Chevy Metro engine.

4) The cupholders on Rams with automatic transmissions is completely different than the floor scoops in the manual trans console. They can just about hold a Thermos steady.

Ram 2500s are more often sought by people who regulalrly pull a trailer, and are more interested in strength than a luxury car ride. The 1500 is a much better "car replacement," offering excellent performing V8s and softer springs.

Now, on the plus side:

Rams DO turn heads. I have had appreciative glances and comments over nearly 3 years from little kids to professional truckers. I had a guy in a Benz roll down his window in traffic to tell me what a beautiful truck I had - at the time, it was in serious need of a bath (my Ram is solid black), so to me, it was nothing to look at.

The purchase price of the Cummins is all relative. Yes, you pay approximately 4 grand more than a V10, but after 32 months of service, my Ram still wholesales at $2000 more than the V10, so I'm already almost even in terms of fuel savings alone. Of course, diesel and regular unleaded have to be close in price where you are to make quick work of that discrepancy.

The rear seat is much roomier than it looks. After years of Ford Super Cabs, I found the Ram's back seat room like night and day in comparison.

Overall, I give the road test an "ok". It promoted the car-like features more than its towing and hauling abilities, thus the truck's purpose seems to be lost in the report.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    That seems to be a fairly common problem. The tests of the Ford SD were the same way -- pointing out that the trucks were 'big' and rode a little rough. They never hooked up even a small trailer and, from the comments in the review, were dissapointed in the SWB bed length (but didn't try an LWB model). The reviewers certainly seem to be looking for car replacements.

I wonder if we'll ever see a review of the new corvette with 'When hooked up to my 37' 5th wheel, this car had almost no power and sank tremendously in the back.'?
    Thanks, kc.

I plan to try to be there when the wheels touch ground at the dealer. Mine will look something like the one in the Edmund's 2500 review - same color, chrome wheels, cab clearance lights - but mine has the long bed and no sport package. I like the chrome grill better than the color match. I'm getting chrome sidesteps put on, and a high-top cap with lots of windows. Also getting the bug shield and window guards - I have them on my old truck and love them.

I can't wait!! Something tells me I'll be getting plenty of attention with this new truck - it's gonna be a beaut!
    stanford,

If it's still on a newsstand near you, grab the Winter issue of Open Road. They tested a Ram 2500 Cummins against an F250 Powerstroke. And guess what - they actually pulled boats through the mountains! In fact, it was the OR test of the Ram Club Cab Cummins back in 1995 that sealed my decision on buying one. In that report, they wedged some small trees and a wooden picnic table (with benches) in the bed from a local nursery, and said the Cummins didn't even notice. The writers fully understand they're driving TRUCKS, and they don't bore you with how well it does or doesn't do on the Rubicon like the off-road/4x4 mags. OR is put out by Road & Track, and unfortunately only comes out 4 times a year with no subscriptions (yet). When they do allow subs, that will be the first truck mag I will have subscribed to in almot 20 years.
  • brawnybrawny Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I just bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab automatic with a 410 rear end gear. The milage really stinks. If anyone out there knows anything about this please let me know. I did't know what kind of milage to expect when I bought it and no one else knew so I need some input.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    heres a dumb question but need to know answer asap. Is there cruise control on a 5sp cummins, or only for automatic.
  • panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    Dodgeram, my Step-dad has cruise control on his 5sp cummins so I would assume they still offer it (his are a 95 and 96).

Brawny, did you expect good mileage with a 3500 QC and 410 rear? What do you want to know about it? my 1500 QC w/ 355 rear end get about 10-12mpg city and 13-15 mpg hwy. If you are somewhere in this vicinity, I would say you are doing really well for your truck setup.
  • brewer2brewer2 Member Posts: 1
    I read the article on the "Cummings" engine. I didnt know there was such a thing. I Know that Dodge uses Cummins engines. I think you should proof read your articles before posting them!!!
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    The Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab Review....

is Here. Enjoy!
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    brawny
    What engine do you have? if you have the 5.9, i would expect about 12mpg. if you have the v10, i would expect 8-10 mpg.
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    To Ladyblue

Congradulations on your new Dodge Ram. Hope it comes in time for valentines day.
    Thanks, sd99. I'm really looking forward to it. My salesman says coming from "up north" (where?) so we should pray for good weather and it will be in by Feb. 14.
    ladyblue - that sounds strange. The Quad Cabs come from Missouri or Mexico. If the train route takes them north of here first, then DC needs to find a more efficient rail company.
    kc:

Maybe he considers Missouri "up north." I don't know - I didn't ask him where it was built. When I find out, I'll let you know.
    Well, I ordered the cap today. It should be in the same weekend as the truck. I also took a ride out to the "other" Dodge dealer on the highway to look at a couple of trucks in the same color as the one I'm getting. Sorry to say, but mine's gonna be nicer than what they have on the lots!

My friends are already sick of hearing me talk about my new baby, so I figured I'd bore you guys with all the details. Stay tuned for more mind-numbing junk! :-)
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    its OK, some of wish we could be sharing your same joy.
    I, for one, love to hear about other people's trucks ladyblue. I know what you mean, your friends don't want to hear anymore, but most of us love to. I like the color blue you picked out, almost got the same color myself. Instead, I took delivery of a 99 Super Duty F250 Lariat on 1/2/99. Hope none of you think any less of me, I compared the two trucks at great length, and I really like the Ram, but I thought the Ford would be best for me, and so far I am really happy with the truck. I never really considered the Chevy. I used to work for them, and I didn't care for the product. The reason I read the Dodge chat is because I almost bought one, and the Ram is still a great truck. I really believe if you own the Dodge or the Ford, you've got a great truck, and besides, we shouldn't be fighting over who's truck is better, we should be happy for each other. That's what it is all about.
    sd99:
    Thank you. You are a gentleman and a breath of fresh air in this sometimes-antagonistic truck debate.

The truck I'm trading in is an F150 4x4 extended cab, and I absolutely LOVED it. The reasons I went with Dodge were: a) The Ford dealership kept trying to screw me, and; b) The Dodge dealer treated me like family. Besides, Dodge makes a good truck.

I rejected Chevy mostly because they left the 4th door off their new truck. I'm also not crazy about the look of the Chevy - boring.

So here's the details on the truck of my dreams:
    Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4 long bed
    5.2 automatic
    Intense blue w/mist grey interior
    Travel convenience group
    Rear underseat compartment
    Sliding rear window
    Remote keyless entry
    Cab clearance lamps
    Fog lamps
    AM/FM stereo w/CD, cassette and equalizer
    Steering wheel mounted audio controls
    Chrome wheels
    Bedliner, high-top cap, chrome sidesteps,
    window guards and bug deflector

The only options I dropped were the 8-way power seats and the upgraded tires. Other than that, it's loaded.

Two more weeks and it's mine, mine, all mine!!
    (Sorry, got carried away {*_*} )
    Ladyblue...Thank you for the nice comment, I appreciate it.
    Sounds like you have one heck of a truck coming your way, and I hope you enjoy it for years to come. When you order a vehicle, you might as well get it exactly the way you want it.
    And, ladyblue, it's O.K. to get excited, I would worry if you didn't.
    I hope everyone is driving their new trucks, whatever make they may be, real soon.
    ladyblue,

Here's how to find out your Ram's birthplace. If you have your VIN already, if it's a St. Louis product, the first digit will be 1. If your Ram speaks Spanish like mine, the first digit will be a 3.
    Little off topic but thought all of you should know that dodge is bringing a new six speed transmission for the diesel in the next month or two. It is not a manual but a 6sp automatic, built by allison, so for all you people whining about the dodge auto in the diesel, whine no more!
    kcram:
    I found out that my truck is coming from Mexico. Guess the salesman didn't know that when he said it was coming from "up north."

Seems there was also some confusion regarding the bedliner and steps - I thought they were going to give me a break on these items, but I found out today that it will cost me MORE to have the dealer install them than if I look elsewhere. Oh well, miscommunication and all that.

Any advice on truck accessory places in NJ? I know of a couple, but I want to compare prices.
  • richram123richram123 Member Posts: 35
    Lady Blue.

Truck accsessory places in NJ:

Meyers Speed shop on RTE 33 in Mercerville

Sand and Hill on RTE 130 in New Brunswick (expensive)

Rich (Fellow Ram Owner 98 4x4 1500 Club Cab)
    richram:

Thanks for the leads. Here's what I did - I called both places you gave me and got prices from them. I also called Monmouth Truck Accessories, and they had the lowest price. Then I called Suburban Cap in Oldbridge (where I'd ordered my cap). Originally, Suburban was too high, but when I told them what I wanted and what their competitors were asking, they came down in price. They were still $20 higher than Monmouth but I'm getting better quality products and the convenience of having it all done in one place. I'm one happy trucker!!!
  • goldrushgoldrush Member Posts: 20
    DodgeRam,

I ordered a 99 QC Cummins with 6 speed manual at the beginning of Jan. Dealer originally said available Jan. 5. Dealer says it is not on hold. The www.wheels.com site shows it on hold until Jan 25 now. Also shows limited slip on hold until March. Looks like Lady Blue will get her truck before I do.

Ed
    goldrush:

Sorry to hear about your hold up. Mine's probably coming in so soon because it's just the "baby" 1500 5.2 automatic. Seems like those who order bigger have to wait longer. Hang in there.
    Mabye dodge is offering a six speed manual, but is it by allison or dodge. All I know is there will be a 6sp automatic avaible very shortly by allison.
This discussion has been closed.