Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Odyssey Remote Engine Starter

complexcomplex Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Honda
I have a 2000 Odyssey EX. I have have played with the cars remote control and there is a sequence of buttons that will start the car remotely. I can not figure the sequence out and reproduce the starting on a regular basis. Does anyone know how it works. Any dealer I ask denies that the car has this feature. Thanks

Comments

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    There is no such thing on the Odyssey, not even an option. This is an aftermarket accessary. It has to be installed like an auto alarm system. I don't know why this is not a popular item. I have it on my '93 Accord. It never had any problem, just replace the battery on the remote. But people say it will hurt the engine, starter, igition, etc.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I have never heard of a factory installed remote start option. One of the main reasons is because a lot of cities have ordinances against leaving the car running. This all comes from the old cars that you didint ave to push on the brake pedal to get it out of gear. With the remote start installed the brake pedal is the kill switch, so if a kid gets in the car while it's remote started and the kid manages to get it out of gear, the brake pedal will shut the car off.
    One of the reason that this is not so popular because it is expensive and properly void the factory warranty. It usually cost $200 for the remote starter (w/o alarm system) and over $400 for the whole package. Don't know why the auto markers would not brother this as a special feature.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    I just added remote keyless entry and remote start to my 87 Buick.

The kit was $80 shipped to my house. It included the additional relays needed for my trunk release and the positive lock system GM uses. (The module supplies a ground when you press the button, so you use the ground provided to trigger a relay that provides the positive to the power lock or unlock circuit.) Another $10 for connectors to splice into the wiring harness and I'm done.

This kit locks the doors before you start the car and will kill the engine if the brake pedal is pressed, the hood is opened or you press the start button the key fob a second time.

If you can do it yourself, it can be done for well under $100

TB
    For those who are not good at auto alarm system, $200 is reasonable. Some people cannot even replace their light bulbs or check engine oil.
This discussion has been closed.