Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• taikenstaikens Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out what was causing this as I am having the same issue. My car went dead about 4 weeks ago, couldn't find anything wrong. Was OK for 4 weeks and now the problem is back, excactly how you described.
  • jenm24jenm24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Passat with the exact same problem. Anyone know what it is yet? Anyone know how to fix it?
  • craigers77craigers77 Member Posts: 2
    I have not figured out what the problem is, but it has stopped for now. I disconnected the battery during the week once I got to work (dead batteries after a long day at the office are no fun) and at night. On Friday night I left it connected just to see what would happen and the fan ran a couple times but the car started. It has now been more than a week without the fan running at all. Go figure. My wife picked me up one of those battery jumpstart machines just in case. I still want to know what the hell the problem is, but hopefully it can wait until the next oil change.
  • thesherriffthesherriff Member Posts: 11
    I just took my 03 Passat in for an oil change and was told their is a leak and I need to replace the camshaft tensioner and timing belt at $510 and $650, respectively. Aren't the two related and easily fixed at the same time. I was previousl told approx $650 for the timing belt and to replace it around 90K miles but now the tensioner also, is this reasonable? Also should I expect to get another at least 90K mile with no problems?
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Timing belt is on the front of the engine. Camshaft tensioner is under the valve cover at the rear of the engine's valvetrain (on the 1.8T). The timing belt has a tensioner, too, but it's not called the camshaft tensioner.

Does the $510 price on the the TB include all the associated parts? While you are in there, you might want to consider replacing the water pump, the t-stat, the rollers and tensioner. I would, especially if you're planning on keeping the car. If the $510 covers it all, it's an outstanding price. ECS Tuning has an Ultimate Timing Belt kit for $279 that includes:
    Timing Belt
    OEM Tensioner
    OEM Tensioner Roller
    OEM Idler Roller
    Hepu OE Water Pump With gasket
    Wahler OE Thermostat with O-ring
    A/C Belt
    P/S Belt
    2) 1.5 Liter bottles of G12 Coolant

Can't tell you if the $650 for the cam tensioner is good or not. Looks fairly labor intensive, to me.

The mileage to change the TB is a real crapshoot. I can tell you this, though: while VW suggests a 105K miles changer interval, the editors of the shop manual (Bentley) suggest 60K. I have an '03, mostly city driven, and I'm getting this done next autumn when I'm at about 60,000 miles.

If your car is mostly highway driven, maybe you'll make 90K. If you are mostly stop-n-go, maybe you won't. The problem is that if the TB goes, the valves get smashed and the repair is pricey.

So, how many miles on your car? What engine is it?
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    If I may add to this discussion:

If the timing belt is the original one, I would highly recommend changing it between 60K and 65K. The reason being that the plastic impeller on the waterpump begins to disintegrate at said interval. I had the timing belts changed on my two 1.8Ts at 73K and 65K (respectively) just for that reason.

As far as the timing belt itself, here's a guideline to follow:

1) If you have a 1.8T Passat prior to 2003, the timing belt is more than likely the older design which should be changed at 60,000 miles. The newer replacement belts is a robustly constructed redesign which will last 100,000 miles.

2) If you have a 2003 or later Passat 1.8T, the engine has the upgraded timing belt which will last 100,000 miles.

My advice to you is to purchase a complete timing belt kit with the upgraded metal water pump, improved timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, etc. from places like germanautoparts.com or ECStuning (approximately $280-$300), and have a private VW mechanic perform the installation (approximately 4-6 hours labor). You will save hundreds of dollars, and the improved timing belt and metal waterpump combination should last for the next 100,000 miles before you need to have it changed again -

(CAVEAT): provided you also have the oil changed every 5,000 miles with a VW 502.00 or VW 503.01 specification motor oil (hint: motor oils in both specifications are synthetic only) - lest the engine may suffer from the dreaded sludge monster - and all bets are off.

If you have the dealer perform the installation, chances are you will get the improved timing belt, but they will install the factory plastic waterpump - which means you will have to change the timing belt every 60,000 miles (because of the plastic waterpump) - and pay several hundred dollars extra for the privilege.

The same timing belt guidelines should apply to the V-6 model Passats (30-valve engines).

HTH.
  • blitzg99blitzg99 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,
    I own a CPO 2003 VW Passat with 48 k miles on it. Looks like the battery needs to be changed.Does anyone know if the battery is covered by the CPO warranty.Also what is a " good battery" for VW Passat 2003 and any pricing info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    DG
    I had the timing belts changed on my two 1.8Ts at 73K and 65K (respectively) just for that reason.

I'm curious about how the impellers looked on your two pumps. Did you get a chance to see them after their removal?

So, basically, you are saying the belt will go 100K, but the pump won't, so change the whole thing out since they're all going to be disassembled to reach the pump anyway. Good advice!
    84,200 mile, 1.8T engine. The $510 and $650 covers all parts and labor, the water pump was replaced under the recall, just last year. I'm taking it in next week to have both repairs done. I drive highway miles and I agree that the alternative is lots of damage that could be avoided.
    I have a 2003 Passat 1.8T, have had the oil changed every 5,000 miles with a VW 502.00 motor oil by the dealership from day one. I could have saved $20 going to a regular shop but after what I've read about the sludge--I want this to be on VW if something were to happen. I feel they should know their product better than anyone else.

I will ask and consider replacing the plastic for metal waterpump. Thanks for the tips!
    You wrote:
    ...the water pump was replaced under the recall, just last year...

What recall was this? I have a 2003 1.8 T and this is my first hearing of a recall involving the water pump. I know about the one for the fuel pump. Please share some knowledge! Thanks!
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    if owner can prove that oil was changed each 5K miles and oil used was the proper one.

Krzys
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    My wife has a 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T. The warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Looks like your four years are up, so unless you have an extended warranty, I doubt if the dealer will replace it for free.

Now on to your battery question. I just had the battery changed on her car with an Interstate battery (which I highly recommend - I also replaced the battery on my 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta 1.8T with an Interstate battery). I don't know if it was just me, but the factory batteries don't seem to last as long as they used to (only 4 years on both cars). Maybe its due to an ever increasing number of electronic components, computers, and sensors that are in most cars nowadays. I replaced the original battery on my 1997 Jetta a couple of years ago (the original battery lasted 8 years).

I would stay away from the factory batteries - as they are outrageously expensive, and don't seem to last as long as a reputable aftermarket battery.

HTH...
  • navyguy1990navyguy1990 Member Posts: 71
    I'm a US Naval Officer stationed in Seoul, Korea and am about to wrap up a deal for a 2003 VW Passat 1.8T GLS. The car appears to be in pristine condition with 36,600 miles and thought it was a bargain at $11,000. The seller claims that she has used synthetic oil since new, so I'm hoping to avoid any possibility of engine sludge.
    The VW emblem on the engine cover fell off, because the adhesive melted from the engine heat. Is this normal?

I'm purchasing this vehicle in lieu of 2003 Toyota Sequoia, because of reported reliability issue with the Sequoia.

What are the most common problem area that I should focus on.

Appreciate your insight.
    Thanks.
    Is this a US spec car? I've got a 2003 1.8T GLS, too.

About the emblem - yeah, they fall off. Look around under the hood, though. They often get caught on the passenger side of the engine, down by the heat shield. That's where mine was!

Here's some random thoughts:

So you already know about the sludge issue. Use 502.00 or better yet, 503.01 full synth oil (M1 0w-40 is what is commonly available in the States). Use the larger spec'd filter (the old VW diesel filter). Don't exceed 5,000 miles between changes.

It's a turbo - let it cool down a couple of minutes after harding running before shutting it down.

Clean the drain plugs in the plenum area. There's a drain under the battery and one under the brake booster. This will keep water from accumulating and leaking into the car. The transmission and comfort control modules are in wells under the front carpet - big issues if these get wet or corroded.

Expect the rear brakes to wear out before the fronts at about a 2:1 ratio.

TIming belt needs done around 60K. Have the water pump, tensioners, t-stat, and rollers done then, too.

My CV boots started cracking around 45K. Catch 'em before they actually rip and you can get away with just having the boots replaced rather than new driveshafts.

Stay on top of the maintenance. VW's need more TLC than most cars and probably lots more than the other cars you see in Seoul.

Watch the door bumnp strips on the front edge of the rear doors for any signs of lifting. The tolerances on the doors is very tight and if they start to lift you will hear a crunch and be looking at some body work on both doors.

Use the OEM spark plugs for this engine. NGKs, but I can't recall the number. They're pricey but seem to work best.

Clean the slush filter regularly. If you follow the air intake before the air filter box, you might find a fine mesh screen - a few leaves or a piece of celophane can really starve the engine for air.

That's about it....good luck with the purchase!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "So you already know about the sludge issue. Use 502.00 or better yet, 503.01 full synth oil (M1 0w-40 is what is commonly available in the States). Use the larger spec'd filter (the old VW diesel filter). Don't exceed 5,000 miles between changes."

I believe that in Korea the best oil is the Shell Helix (I don't remember the grade), but it is a full synthetic and is both 502.00 and 503.01 certified. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thank you for your insightful advice.
    I'm suppose to pick up the vehicle this coming Monday.

It is a U.S. spec vehicle and the lady told me that she bought it new in California and had it shipped here two months after the purchase.
    The emblem was turned into a local VW service shop for reattachment, but the shop didn't attach it back on. She's suppose to get them to reattach this weekend. The seller couldn't remember the name of the synthetic oil, but she told me that it was more expensive than Mobil 1 and cost about $7/quart at the military exchange (purple bottle?).
    I'd be sure to check the trouble spots that you've pointed out. The seller told me that she replaced the brake pads every 15,000 miles and that the car is on it's 3rd set (36,600 miles thus far on the car). She also complained about the brake dust build up on the alloy wheels.
    Do you take your vehicle to a local dealer? I'll be forced to order the replacement parts online and provide them to VW-Korea service center, because replacement parts run about 2-3 times the U.S. price. The labor runs about 1/3 of U.S. mechanic labor, so I'm trying to take advantage of both worlds.
    There are plenty BMWs, Mercedes, Volvos, and Hyundais on the military base, but VWs are quite rare.
    Thanks again for your advice.
    Sincerely,
    Navy guy in Seoul, Korea
    Does Shell Helix come in a purple bottle?
    The seller keeps mentioning purple bottle that costs about $7/quart.

Thank you for your advice.

Sincerely,
    Navyguy
    Hey Navyguy, (former) Marineguy here. ;)

The Shell Helix 0W-40 and 5W-40 (both of which meet the stringent 503.01 oil spec) is in a black bottle.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=sg-en&FC2=/sg-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/- - zzz_lhn4_3_1.html&FC3=/sg-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/oils_lubricants/helix_- - new/products/ultra_ga_0707.html

The bad news here is that even though I thought it was sold throughout Asia, I cannot find any references to Korea. :( Check your local autoparts store, and carefully look at each of the synthetic oils that they sell. If the bottle states that the oil meets either the VW 502.00 or (preferrably) the 503.01 oil spec, then you're good to go. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,
    Thank you for your advice on the synthetic oil. I'll carefully check the military exchange shelf for the right oil.

Sincerely,
    NavyGuy
    The "Purple Bottle" sounds like Royal Purple if she bought it at the military exchange, but I'm just guessing. Royal Purple is one of those "boutique" oils...Shipo may have more thoughts on that. I'm not sure if they're compliant with 502.00 or 503.01 or what they have. I'm sticking with M1 in my engine.

About the brake dust...the OEM pads can be pretty dusty, but some of the after-market ones are much worse (Ate pads, for one). Others are much less dusty and the dust they make is lighter in color. Specifically, I'm thinking of PBR brand, Deluxe Plus pads. They're about equivalent to OEM for stopping power, dust less, and last longer.

I get some service done at the dealer (mostly oil changes to keep the sludge warranty fully in place). Other stuff I take to a local independent garage that specializes in German makes.

You might want to check out the following for parts:
    getcoolparts.com
    stopshopanddrive.com
    germanautoparts.com

There are others. You'll need to make contact with them about shipping to you there.

Thought of something else about maintenance:

VW recommends that the brake fluid be changed out every two years regardless of mileage. I'm following that guideline, too.

If you get a BRAKE Failure message, start searching the web for places tht will refurbish your ABS module.
    As far as I know, Royal Purple is NOT certified to meet any VW standards of any kind.

Regarding Mobil 1, yup, great oil, I use it too. I was just trying to give our buddy in the Navy different options just in case it isn't available in the PX. ;-)

Regarding brake pads, I used the PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads on my 530i and they were wonderful. Good stopping power, no noise and no dust. I wish they were out for the Audi A3 as it looks like a good possibility that my wife and I are going to be filling both of our garage bays with a pair of 2008 Audi A3 2.0Ts. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I hear ya about the PX thing. Having never been in the military, do they handle only stuff from the US, or do they also sell other products (like the Shell Helix you mentioned)?

A pair of A3's? Schweeet! I'm waiting on the Jetta TDI wagon to get here and for the techs to get familiar with it. Might be in line for one in about a year or so (I won't buy a first year production model....and, yeah, I know it will be out in Europe before here, but that still doesn't count in my view!).
    Looks like 0w-40 M1 is available in Korea:
    Mobil 1 Korea

And it looks like Shell has a 0w-40 and 5w-40 on their Korean webpage:
    Shell Korea (click on the engine in the cutaway car).

Motul's Korean website:
    Motul Korea
    Their 8100 Ester E-tech is 502.00 and 503.01 compliant.

I have, of course, no idea where you would buy these in Korea, but at least you know that you have some options that meet the specs for your engine.
    "I hear ya about the PX thing. Having never been in the military, do they handle only stuff from the US, or do they also sell other products (like the Shell Helix you mentioned)?"

I don't remember what the PX carries as I left the Marines back in the late 1970s. That said, my guess is that you can buy lots of U.S. domestic market stuff as well as a healthy smattering of stuff from the local market.

Regarding the Jetta TDI, a TDI Sportwagon is extremely attractive to me too, however, I don't know if I want to wait for another year or more for the initial bugs to get worked out and for the dealers to stop charging a premium for a car that is surely to be in high demand.

As a side comment, Mrs. Shipo decided on adding another member to our family in the form of an 80 pound Labrador Retriever, and as such, normal sedans are kind of out for our future transportation needs as our Lab needs to get schlepped around fairly frequently. While the A3 is a tad small for fitting all four of us plus our puppy, I doubt that we'd ever need to fill them up that full (we’d either be carrying the kids or the dog but not both at the same time), and if we do, we're planning on keeping one of our two current mini-vans for when the need arises. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My bad, it was the fuel pump. It seems like there were so many, I got them confused--sorry. The last one I'm aware of is the brake switch.

By the way, are there any other gaskets, belts, hoses etc. that I should consider changing while they've got it all opened up for this service?

Only after asking, the service guy suggested serpentine belt at least. I'm going to have VW change any gasket, belt and hose they can access at that time. I wondered aloud why wouldn't you just change out what you could since all the parts work together to run the car or at least recommend this upfront and let the customer be well informed and decide. This way it all starts out on the same page--my thinking. I could just see it now, timing belt changed and then the serpentine belt goes-another $500 repair. He couldn't tell me how much wear in mileage I should expect to get on the the other nearby parts so that's why I'm opting to have any gasket, belt and hose they can access changed. I also asked about the water pump and was told it is metal--will have this double checked and confirmed also.
    I dunno what else you can do while the TB is being done. That list of parts that I posted earlier is pretty comprehensive, but others here may be able to help you.

You wrote:
    I also asked about the water pump and was told it is metal--will have this double checked and confirmed also.

I was at my dealer about three weeks ago and I was talking with one of the techs about the water pump. She told me that the metal pumps are available aftermarket (like by Hepu) and that the VW part still has a plastic impeller. I'd make real sure about this before they do the install, if the plastic piece really concerns you.

BTW, at my dealer, they'll install parts other than VW's, but their warranty won't cover that part. YMMV....I'm thinking I'll get mine done by a German-specialist indy.
    Shipo and Altair4,
    Thank you both for your time and words.
    I know for sure I can Mobil 1, since I put that in my wife's Toyota Sienna. I'll check for other synthetic oil while I'm at the PX auto parts store.
    They are usually good about stocking high demand items, but I've discovered I need to order the filters (oil, fuel, air) and other low demand items on my own.

Since VW Passat is such a rarity on base, the associated parts are difficult to find.

I'd be sure to check out the websites and if needed, google for me.

Thanks.

NavyGuy
    Keep in mind that while there are LOTS of grades of Mobil 1, only one of them meets the VW 502.00 and 503.01 oil specifications, and that oil is Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,
    Thank you. I'll look for that specific viscosity Mobil 1.
    Sincerely,
    NavyGuy
  • taikenstaikens Member Posts: 2
    I had my car into the dealer and they could not find anything, they looked for 2 days. It has stopped for now. When I turn my car off I listen to see if I hear the noise, if I do, I disconnect the battery. I also invested in a battery jumpstart after being stranded 3 times at 9 o'clock at night after work. The only thing I found on the internet that may explain what is happening is a faulty secondary air injection pump. When i happens again, I will bring my car straight to the dealer. In the meantime, if anyone figures this out, please let us know.
    Thanks
    I dunno know if this is meaningful to you guys or not, but I once had an '87 Golf. It had an electric radiator fan. At one point in its long life, the sensor that controlled the "after run" function of that fan went bad. The fan was supposed to run under certain high underhood temperatures to prevent vaporlock. What would happen is the fan would stop when the temperature had dropped, but sometimes would start back up again. Other times it just wouldn't stop at all, until the battery drained.

I remember that for awhile I just disconnected the sensor, so it would never run. It never vaporlocked, so I just shrugged it off. Before I ultimately got it repaired, the car was totalled when my wife got T-boned in it (solid little car - my wife came out of it okay).

Dunno if this helps or not, but your problem finally brought this back in my memory....
    Shipo,
    I found Mobil 1 0W40 at the military exchange here. It's $6.70 per quart. I've also found out what the seller was talking about. It's called Royal Purple synthetic oil. It doesn't have the specification in the back label, and costs about a dollar more per quart. Not sure if more expensive means better, but I think I'll stick with your advice.

Thanks again.
    NavyGuy
    In terms of any remainin warranty on your car (if there is one), more expensive is certainly not better. The Royal Purple is NOT certified for your car. Does that mean that it won't perform satisfactorily? No, not necessarily, however, are you willing to gamble the health of your engine trying to find out? ;)

Regarding the price of the oils at your PX, ouch! Granted it's been thirty years since I shopped in a PX, however, I remember them always offering lower prices than what was available on the outside. Paying $6.70 for Mobil 1 0W-40 is a bit steep, here in the States I'm able to buy it in the mid to high five dollar range.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Regarding the price of the oils at your PX, ouch! Granted it's been thirty years since I shopped in a PX, however, I remember them always offering lower prices than what was available on the outside.

Makes you wonder what the average Korean would be paying, doesn't it?
    Yeah, scary thought. :surprise:
  • nfletchernfletcher Member Posts: 1
    i have a R reg passat tdi and i have occured black sludgey water in my header tank ,any ideas what may be causing this to happen
  • diondonnediondonne Member Posts: 8
    Possible crack in head gasket allowing water and oil to mix ??
    Check oil for water contamination also !
    Shipo,
    Mobil 1 synthetic oil runs about W10,000, which equates to about $11 per quart. Additionally, when it comes to auto parts, it's roughly twice the US going rate. Hence, I was trying to get a reliable online VW parts store to develop a relationship.

I've finalized the deal yesterday, and now my "new" 2003 Passat GLS is sitting at the Embassy compound, waiting for diplomatic plates to be authorized and installed.

Thank you again for your advice.

Sincerely,

NavyGuy
    Any time. :)

Semper-Fi. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • irish20irish20 Member Posts: 7
    Recently I had the battery on my '02 Passat wagon run down. I ultimately replaced it, but in the process I've had problems with my two remotes. They will unlock/lock the driver's door, the rear lid and the panic button, but not the passenger doors. I've tried resetting the keys and reprogramming them according to the manual, but to no avail.
    You can hear the acuators working, but they're not unlocking the doors. A trip to the VW dealer brought the "We don't know. Leave it and we'll take a look." Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • majicmanmajicman Member Posts: 40
    Here's a thought... is it possible that the radiator cap is not keeping appropriate pressure in the cooling system? Or the cooling system has a leak that is not apparent?

If the cooling system is not properly pressurized the antifreeze can expand and push out into the expansion tank. This condition will also reduce the cooling system's ability to keep the engine temp where it should be, possibly causing overheating, which in turn expands the antifreeze even more.

The radiator cap should hold around 15 psi pressure in the cooling system. It might be worthwhile to pressure test the cooling system and the cap. The former will reveal any leaks that may exist in the cooling system. The later will tell you if the cap can keep the pressure up.

Jim
    :shades:
    The thought that crosses my mind when reading about this (fan noise) problem is... the fan will run even after the car is shut off to cool the engine. This is normal. It is possible for the fan switch to become locked in its on position. It is a temperature sensitive switch. It is a relatively inexpensive part and should be located in a relatively accessible position (not sure where). I would suggest that you replace this fan switch.

Jim
    :shades:
  • wrightsaxwrightsax Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 VW Passat with the 1.8t ATW engine. I drove it for 190,000 virtually trouble free miles...then it ate the timing belt. I had the top end of the engine rebuilt because when the timing belt went, it took out a number of valves etc. Anyway, new top end, water pump etc was installed. It ran perfectly for about a day, then the idiot light circus began. Here are my questions:

1) The check engine light came on first, and after checking the code it says that my Air Intake Sensor is bad. This isn't the same as the MAF sensor, right? I think that I have read somewhere that it may be possible to take this sensor out, clean it and perhaps it will work again?

2) My engine temperature light was on. I could see that my engine temp would stay really low, then jet to the extreme, so I had the thermostat changed, and now the engine has no temperature problem. BUT, my heater has a mind of its own. It comes on, and then goes off (the fan works perfectly). Is there a valve, or some kind of sensor that controls the heater? This is not the electronic climate control system.

3) ABS fault. My brakes work fine until you get almost to a complete stop, then the ABS engages. Some days the ABS light will come on and the brakes work fine, but the ABS will not engage. Most days, no light, but the ABS engages just before full stop. Anyone venture a guess?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
    1) I'll take a shot at the Air Intake Sensor question. I'd like to see the actual code, but it sounds like you are referring to the Air Intake Temperature sensor.

I had a CEL and pulled the code at a local Autozone store. My sensor showed as intake temp sensor showed as bad. I pulled the sensor and cleaned it (I may have used brake cleaner spray, I don't actually recall) and reinstalled it and it never threw another code. On the AWM engine, that sensor is located on the intake manifold and has two hex bolts holding it in place. Very easy to find and clean yourself. Not sure where it is on the ATW.

Post your actual codes to make sure...

2) Heater issue: Is this with the Climatronic system, or the manual controls? Could be something as simple as air trapped in the coolant system.

3) ABS: Sorry, I've got nothing for you on this one.
  • pioneerichpioneerich Member Posts: 3
    Hi: Had the same problem with my 2000 GOLF at 75,000 miles. The cheap VW water pump froze, and stripped the teeth on the timing belt. It took out valves etc.
    When they put it back together, they had to completely reboot the on board computer.
    And now...VW says to replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles.

Oh, and the new water pump has aluminum innerds. jesss my 2cents.
  • wrightsaxwrightsax Member Posts: 3
    Yes, you are right, it is the Air Intake Temperature Sensor. I will remove and clean it and see what happens. --thanks.

My heater is the manual control kind. Hmmm. I was wondering if there was an electronic control of some kind between the radiator and heater core...

Thanks for your suggestions!
  • cragg3rcragg3r Member Posts: 16
    i have the ABS problem. mechanic said my abs wires were stripped at the ends and they're shorting themselves out, so the ABS device is going to malfunction. Usually when the road is dry it should work fine as opposed to a wet road, but Ive noticed the problem regardless of weather conditions. So I havent actually gotten around to getting it fixed yet. So I have no input for you but its definitely a job for the dealer because they would have the right wire and stuff. I don't know if the problem actually will go back up to the actual ABS module but I am afraid to find out since its a VDUB.
    If you decide you need to replace the ABS controller on your Passat or any other car for that matter. Consider having it rebuilt, instead of putting a new one in. In a car that is more than 3 or 4 years old I think this makes more sense than installing a new part.

2.5 years ago I had this company rebuild my 2001 Passat ABS controller
    http://www.autoecu.com/index.php
    At that time it cost me $250, and it is still working great! They provide a 3 year warrantee.

I also had them do my Volvo S80 ABS controller more recently at the same price.

I don't work for these people, nor do I get any compensation for recommending them, I am just a happy customer.

Jim
  • fredb1fredb1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if it is possible for an owner to replace the air filter on this engine?
    The dealer will not talk to me about any maintenance unless they are going to do the work. They go dumb when you ask a question, and lawyer up on you!!!

I have mastered the oil changes, with the oil draining kit but the cover on the engine is not a simple screw off. Can I get some direction out there on replacing the air filter??

Thanks,

Owner :)