Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I suppose you could have a faulty thermostat. I'm thinking that it might stick just a little and as such you get some heat until it opens, and then it stays wide open until it gets really cold again.

Just a thought.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gwizgwiz Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Shipo. Is this something that could have been damaged in some way during the engine repair or is this a totally separate issue?

I've got a call into the VW dealer and they are checking with their lead technician and will call back. I'm hoping that since there were no problems before the engine issue, and since they just completed the repair this week, they will take care of this repair.

Of course, I do understand that there is always a "wear and tear" issue which is not covered. I'm not someone who will rant and rave over something that the dealer really has no control over and is not responsible for. It could be some other type of problem as well. I'll just hope for the best.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Just thinking out loud here, but maybe air trapped in the system?
    Funny you mentioned this altair. I spoke to another mechanic this morning, who has done service work on our car in the past, and air trapped in the system is one of the first things he mentioned as a possibility. I'm still waiting to hear back from VW.
    Air trapped in the system is another good guess.

Regarding the thermostat, I have no idea whether they used your old one or put in a new one with the engine. Either way, these things do fail from time to time and are generally a very cheap fix.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo...it's a Passat! "Very cheap fix" and "Passat" don't overlap when drawn as Venn diagrams.
    LOL at altair's comments!!

By the way, I heard from the VW dealer a little while ago and they said that they want to take a look at the car since there should not be this type of heating problem. I told them that their was no heating problem before they replaced the engine. They are even going to give me a rental car when I take it in next week.

I just hope that their goodwill extends to this repair as well, especially if it is not an unrelated part failure. We'll see.
    ROTFLMAO!
  • eric48eric48 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Passat 1.8T (53k miles), and it has been running great since I bought it back in 2003. On my way home from work yesterday, I pulled on the highway, got no more than 1 mile and the temp gauge shoots up to 260, and a "STOP, check coolant" message appears. As I slow down and pull over, the temp falls back down to 190 in a matter of seconds. The coolant level is fine, and aren't any leaks. I don't know if it is really overheating or if the thermostat or some other sensor is malfunctioning (as i was able to get home ok) but this issue does not occur at speeds under 50 mph or in stop-and-go driving. Has anyone had something similar happen to them? If so, any thoughts?

thanks
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    mine never climbs from 0 from time to time but hot air blowing from vents says otherwise.
    Your experience is definately more scary.

According to dealer it is $200.00 fix.

I think one can find directions on Internet how to do this oneself.

Krzys
  • pmdfpmdf Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I just purchased a 2004 Passat Wagon GLX V6 43K miles. I have felt/heard the same "kerplunk" when stopping as you describe in your 1/13/07 post. Does not happen every time I stop. Did you ever discover the cause of the problem?

Thanks,

MDF
  • dontudaredontudare Member Posts: 12
    Yes I did - after three times to the dealership, they realized that it was something related to the computer that had to be reset - there was a recall or "notation" that this was a problem. The transmission wasn't downshifting as I slowed down so when the car finally stopped it would brake and then buck once and then the kerplunk. It happens maybe once in a great while -so I chalk it off to the car not always properly downshifting- other than that it's fine.
  • healthnut07healthnut07 Member Posts: 17
    I need to replace the wipers on my 03 Passat 1.8T sedan. Not interested in paying out my *ss to a dealer, but I cannot find these unique wipers anywhere...

Any suggestions?
    How much at the dealership?

www.getcoolparts.com has 'em for $35.28. Buy a couple of other items and get the total above $50 and the shipping will be free.
  • colleenr74colleenr74 Member Posts: 3
    Are you replacing the blades or the whole assembly...if it's just the blades...I recommend Bosch. They run about $56, but they are terrific.
    The ones that getcoolparts.com has are the Bosch aerowipers, for $20 less, than Colleen mentioned.

http://catimages2.sophio.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/339711892- 5.jpg

You can replace the rubber inserts and they sell those, too. $21.15.

http://catimages2.sophio.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/000824992- 7.jpg
  • mschweersmschweers Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to program the garage door function on the sun visor of an 04 Passat? I don't have an owner's manual and am hoping to find out.

Thanks!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    go to www.homelink.com. They should have some general instructions for it.
  • kaaekaae Member Posts: 4
    My daughter has a 1995 VWPW...The mechanics have it in pieces and are unable to find why...the wipers and the heater do not work. They have told her it is a lost cause.Her job is minimum wage...She has 3 children and it's not even paid for.!
    Help Please !!
    While I don't really know what a VWPW is; I'm going to guess it's a Passat Wagon. Yes, no?

Regarding your question: Do they not work at all or do they work for a while and then blow a fuse? If the latter, does the car have heated seats? If yes again, try the having the seat heaters disabled and see if that makes a difference. I remember hearing that some of that generation of Passat had an insufficient electrical system to support all of the peripherals operating at the same time, and the seat heaters always seemed to be the primary culprit. I had a 1995 Passat GLX (loved that car by the way, great engine) and never blew a fuse on it, that said, I hate seat heaters and so I only tried them a time or two just to see if they worked, and then left them off for the next four years.

I hope this helps... Keep us posted on your progress.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ncpassatncpassat Member Posts: 4
    We have been experiencing a smell in the passenger compartment of our 99 Passat for about a year. The smell is getting progressively worse. It is not present when the A/C and recirc is on or the fan is off. We took it to our dealer when we first notice it. They were never able to smell it. We have since taken it to a local shop. They have replaced oil seals and gaskets to no avail. They have checked out the fuel system and cannot find anything. Their latest theory is that the heater core has a leak. in reading other posting about leaking heater cores, we do not experience fogging in the car, just a smell which we can not identify. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • kaaekaae Member Posts: 4
    Yes, it's a Passat Wagon... : ) Yes, it has heated seats and she has been using them...12 to 18 months...when it's cold...The wipers and heater "stopped" working in August...new fuses have been installed...no response at all...
    I want to thank you for the information. She is going to call the Garage first thing
    Monday AM and have them disable the seat heaters...and see about replacing the wiper motor and the heater...They have no idea why they don't operate...it reasons
    out that the seat heaters shouldn't be used and that they're the culprits that started
    this mess...post again when we have something new...Thanks again : )
    Is a mold smell? Could be the drain for the A/C condensate is blocked, allowing mold to develop in the HVAC system, Without some clue what the smell, uh, smells like, it's very difficult to come up with an answer. Sweet, sour, locker-room, etc. Any clues there?

Hot oil smells like hot oil. Gasoline smells like gasoline.

Are you losing coolant? Watch the level carefully and see if it's dropping.
    Any recommendations on which brands to buy for the following parts? I will probably buy from getcoolparts.com, but the site has many brands for the parts I want and I am unsure which would be the best for my 03 Passat 1.8T.

Fuel FIlter
    Spark Plugs
    Air FIlter
    Cabin FIlter
    Oil Filter

Also, anybody have a link to a DIY site for 03 Passat's with pics?
  • feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    We are not suppose to have linky's to other forums/boards here but if you Google "Info Forum Passat" you will find a useful information forum for the Passat ... ;)

You can't go wrong with Mann filters. I'll let others comment on the other parts.
    Spark Plugs - stick with the OEM recommended NGK's PFR6Q.
    Fuel Filter: I used a Bosch.
    Air filter: Mann C26168.
    Cabin Filter: I used a Bosch.
    Oil Filter: Mann makes a nice product.

Order the whole kit from a place like getcoolparts.com or stpshopanddrive.com and get free shipping.
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be so vague on the smell. It is really hard to describe. We think it seems to be a mixture of fuel and oil. The local shop thought it smelled like anti-freeze. We are not leaking anything that we can see. You can smell it outside the car and only when the heater is on or the AC and recirc is off.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Have you replaced cabin air filter?

Just a shot in the dark.

Krzys
    We replaced it when we first noticed the smell, about a year ago. It got better for a short period of time but now it is really bad.
    Thanks for your recommendations. It looks like I had picked out the correct parts, but I wanted to make sure. Germanautoparts.com even had the right front grill piece I need.

Here is another question:

Does anyone know of a place to get the Volkswagen Passat Bentley Service Repair Manual 98-05 cheap? I think the best I found was on amazon for $81 with free shipping.

I also checked ebay and it was pricier, but I found a lot of other repair manuals. However, I am worried they may by rip-offs. Here are two examples:

VW Service Repair Manual Passat 2000 2001 2002 2003

and

VW PASSAT 1998 - 2004 2005 OEM SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL

Anybody have any experience with these? Are they legit? Are they any good? Any other feedback on them?
  • bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Member Posts: 26
    My '06 3.6 Passat (23k miles) just had the driver's side front wheel bearing go out. Took it to local VW dealership and they fixed it within a day. Concerns me a little since this component usually lasts a lot longer even in the American made econo-boxes. Anyone else have this problem? Also, I asked for a loaner since I work 35 miles out of town. They said they didn't offer loaner cars because of "insurance reasons and we'd have to get driver records", (yeah, just like you have to give them your driver history when you rent a car?? B.S.). Has anyone ever gotten a courtesy car from their VW dealer? Our local Lexus dealership has courtesy car available. If VW wants to consider itself a premium brand, it better get it's act to gether in the service department and start competing with premium brands. When they do this, people might be willing to plunk down $75,000 for a VW (read:Pheaton)
  • paulc8125paulc8125 Member Posts: 5
    We have had our 2006 Passat for 3 weeks and the "Service now!" already shows on the display screen. Very annoying actually. Our VW dealer is a little ways away. Is this usually on just for regular maintenance?? Like when it gets to a certain mileage on the car??
  • bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Member Posts: 26
    Hello,
    I just wanted to report that yesterday I recieved a recall notification about the possibility of my '06 Xenon headlights subject to condensation. VW is driving a campaign to fix the problem. The recall also mentioned that cars equipped with the park distance control may be faulty and they will fix this problem as well. Letter says fix should take around 2 hours.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Check the service schedule. IIRC, it'll probably come on every 5K miles.
  • nishwnishw Member Posts: 3
    Hi all

I hope someone can shed some light on this intermittent electrical fault on my 2002 Passat TDI.

The problem: The heater, rear demister, indicators and headlights don't work.

The hazard lights work okay..., the radio is fine..., the drives fine.

The main dealer has no idea what it is. The fault happens at any time of day, not just after raining, or when its cold, just whenever it feels like upsetting me. I've changed fuse 25 (30amp) as that seemed to be the most likely, but the fuse was fine.

Any advice welcome.

cheers

Nish
  • seby3seby3 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a VW Passat and i was wondering if anyone knows were can i find a repair manual or wiring diagram. Thank you very much. :D
    I just bought a VW Passat and i was wondering if anyone knows were can i find a repair manual or wiring diagram. Thank you very much.
    What year? Anyway, Bentley is a reputable publisher of VAG aftermarket repair muals. Lots of sources for them so do a web search.
  • shadingdingshadingding Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

A friend of mine accidentally broke a thin pipe, which leads to 'blue can' on the left side under the hood. The car model is 2001 Passat GLX V6.

Can anyone here tell me what the 'blue can' is and what the system belongs to?

Thanks in advance.

SDD
  • nishwnishw Member Posts: 3
    Hi Seby

If you can get a Haynes Manual that would be good. I haven't got one for my Passat, but i have had them in the past, and they all worked out fine.

cheers NishW
    Thank you.
    Depends n the year of the Passat. The last time I looked into a Haynes manual, it only went up through 2001 model year or what many people call the B5 model. It didn't cover the B5.5 model. For most repairs, that's probably not a problem. Could be for electrical stuff, W-8 issues, etc.
    Just wanted to update all that replied. Well, the source of the smell has been found. The car started to shake and then stall on me the other day. The mechanic found the #2 spark plug was missing the top metal arm of the plug and the plug itself was not installed properly. When it was replaced, along with the #2 coil pack, the smell vanished. Phew, I was getting ready to junk the car.
  • roalruroalru Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, just signed up, so please forgive me if my protocal is sub-standard. I promise to try to learn the rules. My history with the car, if you will ablidge me, goes like this: My car is a 2000 Passat. The engine is a 2.8 litre V-6. The trans is a 5-speed manual. The body is a GLS sedan without 4-Motion. I must say that for the money, I love this car. I am no stranger to MB, BMW, Lexus, and still I am very impressed with this vehicle. I bought the car used 1 year ago with 85k on the odo. It now has 111k and I have seen no evidence of aging. I have had to replace the ABS module, which I did with a reman unit from bbareman.com It worked great, by the way. New tie rod ends and timing belt, tensioner, water pump etc...Finally, my question: Does anyone have a car like mine with high miles? Should I flush the vehicle in favor of a newer one based on common probelms, or do you think the car will be good for a long time to come? For instance, when I was a service Manager for Lexus, I knew which cars to ditch before X miles. Most cars of the same model, by my experience, share almost the exact problems, and I just don't want to be blindsided by a (whatever) at X miles costing $$$!!! Your input is greatly appreciated, and thank you all.
  • jpmnovajpmnova Member Posts: 15
    My '01 Passat 1.8T (104,000 miles) recently had the check engine (MIL) light come on. Brought the car to a dealer in NJ and ended up having the Mass Airflow Sensor replaced ($380) as well as replacing the coolant temp sensor ($220). While the car was in, I was also told that one outer axle boot was torn, so had that replaced also (for another $275). Anyone have any insight as to whether these charges seem reasonable, or if I was taken for a ride? Thanks.
    These are fairly typical dealership prices - you were taken for a ride for sure but you are in good company ...
  • calvinycalviny Member Posts: 13
    Please advise how to adjust the clutch pedal; it is pretty high to release/engage it in gear.

thanks for advise.
    I don't believe that it is adjustable as it is most likely a hydraulic linkage.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • calvinycalviny Member Posts: 13
    So, just top it up with hydralic oil???

Or, if there is any linkage that I can adjust???

I got this 2000 V6 GLX 5-speed 1-month ago...
    Car has 224K Km on odometer; but the engine + transmission was a recycled one; clutch, startor + battery are all new (I believe it has been stolen & insurance company replaced the above parts..I have the receipt on hand)
    It only has 7000km after that.. Paid Canadian $5K for it.

Is there any way to check the year for this second engine???
    (called dealer with VIN #, no record for timing belt changed record)

Car is running strong & only 1 code pop-up :P431 (the oxygen sensor after
    catalyic converter) I will replace this later on. not a big deal.
    There is nothing you can do to change the clutch pedal position, it is what it is. Also, there should be no need to top off the fluid in the clutch reseviour as it should easily last for two years (and then it should be replaced just like the brake fluid).

As finding out the history of your engine and tranny, I have no idea how you would go about doing that.

Best Regards,
    Shipo