Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Grandis minivan

mtbiker1mtbiker1 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I sure hope it comes. Sounds like somthing smaller than a Dodge Caravan but larger than the Honda Latitude who IS coming over to the US.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    about time we get some of these leaner minivan type vehicles here.
    I agree, regfootball. It IS time we got some small and leaner minivans smaller than the Caravan.
    caravans are fat bloated whales.

My current fave minivan is the mazda MPV. Right sized, maybe a bit tall for my tastes.
    The Mazda MPV is VERY NICE and VERY COMPACT! But, when I decided to buy a van, we got an Odyssey. (Wife didn't like Mazda MPV) Another Question, When is the Grandis coming over or is it not coming over?
    IMHO the Odyssey is among the most bloated of them all. The MPV is not 'very compact'...it has 90% the space of the bloated whales and is a more efficient packaging job.
    regfootball,
    are we the only ones posting on this board?
    probably.

I checked out the new Sienna....its pretty much got it all. Should be a huge hit.
    This discussion seems like its dead. The Honda Latitude is coming. (A micro 7-seat wagon)
    where did you see the info on Latitude?
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/GRANDIS/

actually looks interesting.......would this minivan make it stateside?

Like the aggressive front end and floor shifter. Kinda of reminiscent of the Toyota Wish but maybe a little snazzier.

Hope they bring it over.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Nice to see there's a Grandis thread now. I started posting about it in the Honda Latitude thread as it had just been introduced and seemed like a more than worthy alternative to both the Latitude and Toyota Wish. Styling is the best of the three....tastefully aggressive...not too van-y or wagon-y....just the right blend. Size is perfect too....big enough to be roomy and comfortable but small enough to be nimble and sporty...not bloated like a "full-size" minivan at all. Close in size to an MPV (inch shorter, 2 inches narrower and 4" less tall) but proportioned much better...the loss of 4" in height means it loses that "van" look. Its also within inches of the Murano, the greatest difference being width, so it's not a small vehicle, but sized "just right". If they can keep the weight down, it should have a decent blend of performance and economy. The interior is a step above the Wish and several steps above the Stream/Latitude. I prefer the 6 seat version with 4 "captain's chairs" and the split-folding 3rd row seat. A six passenger layout makes the most sense for these vehicles as anyone needing 7 or 8 passenger capacity will gravitate to the larger minivans. Most reports have Mitsubishi going global with this vehicle, although the only specific mention I've seen about North America was in a J.D.Power-sourced article. I feel Mazda will probably grow" the MPV in it's next generation to take on the Odyssey, Quest, Sienna et al (all of which I consider too big, bloated, expensive and wasteful for our needs), opening up the door for it's Ford-CMAX-based Mazda4, and also for the Stream-Latitude, Wish and Grandis. To me, these vehicles are the new generation of wagon. Unlike Subaru, who continues to put out wagons based on the decades-old traditional wagon layout, the Grandis et-all blend the traditional wagon with the best mini-van features (higher driving position, flat floor, flexible multi-passenger seating) in a "smart-sized" package. They are the perfect combination of sportiness and practicality. The sooner they come to North America, the better.
    Came to this thread via the Honda Latitude thread, so didn't realize there WAS a thread (in Future Vehicles) and the the Grandis was labelled a "Minivan". It's getting harder and harder to classify vehicles these days, with all the permutations and blending (cross-breeding??!!) going on in the market. The Grandis does have a somewhat flat floor (there is a hump going down the middle, but it's a low, squared-off,flat hump)like a minivan and it does seat 6 or 7, but it's profile is more "tall wagon". Styling-wise, there's a little bit of Vibe/Matrix, Nissan Quest, Aerio, Murano but it all comes together very successfully. I guess you could call it a sport van (a term GM has coined for it's Transport/Venture replacements); an extended sport hatchback or multi-passenger sport wagon. regfootball called it a space utility wagon over on the Honda Latitude thread (which is in the Wagons, not Minivans discussion. Anyway, it must be getting extremely difficult for the Edmunds moderators to know where to slot some of these discussions! Whatever you call it, I think it's the best thing in Mitsubishi's lineup (well, maybe with the exception of the EVO VIII!). Let's hope we hear something soon about a definite introduction date for North America.
    Check out these pix:
    http://www.auto-g.jp/image.html?f=news/200305/20/newcar04/01_b.jp- g

http://www.auto-g.jp/image.html?f=news/200305/20/newcar03/02_b.jp- g

http://www.auto-g.jp/image.html?f=news/200305/20/newcar02/01_b.jp- g

from what I've been able to find out, the Grandis is an inch shorter, an inch narrower and 4" less in height than an MPV. Also virtually the same footprint as a Murano (same length/wheelbase) but 3' narrower and just over an inch less in height. It's available with AWD, in 6 or 7 seat versions, has a centre walk-through and CR-V-style flip up tray. I'll take the 6 seater sport version, Mitsubishi, if you're listening.
    http://www.worldonline.co.za/moto/moto_center_New_mo.612141.html

Mitsubishi is going global with the Grandis, but haven't heard whether North America is a "definite" yet. I did read somewhere (still searching for the link) that they are definitely considering it. Let's hope so. I need six passenger (occasional) capacity but don't want a bloated full-size minivan(is that an oxymoron or what?!) or a bloated multi-passenger SUV. A Honda Latitude/Stream, Toyota Wish, Mazda4 or Mitsubishi Grandis (my fave) would be ideal.
    The MPV, while close, is too tall and van-ish and the V6 means fuel economy suffers.
    Finally some photos!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I can't tell from the pics, and maybe I overlooked it in the text, but this is a 5 door w/o sliders, yes? Like the old Odyssey?

Steve, Host
    You're right, Steve.......the new Grandis (like the Grandis/Space Wagon it's replacing) has conventional doors. I guess, in a way, you could think of it (especially the 6 passenger version) as a kind of scaled-down Pacifica. I prefer the conventional doors to sliders....it loses some of that van stigma. It takes the best features of vans (flat floor, raised seating position, multi-passenger, flexible seating) and puts them into a sportier package. I see the need for the larger,, 7-8 passenger minivans but they are all too large for my purposes......a six passenger Grandis slots in right between the Toyota Matrixes and Siennas of this world and would fit my needs perfectly.
    I like 5 passenger minivans too (I got one in '89 and threw away the middle seat in my '99). The sliders are nice in my garage though after I squeeze out of the driver's door. But I could have lived with the old Odyssey style just fine.

Steve, Host
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The new Grandis is really just a new version of the old Expo (which never sold well). I like the idea, but somehow I foresee problems with introducing it here due to the close resemblance to the Lancer wagon and possibly stealing sales from the Outlander. However, I do think it would be a nice unique vehicle for the Mitsu line.
    Ingtonge18, the new Grandis is about the size of a Murano, only 3" narrower. While it may be descended from the old Expo, it is quite a different vehicle....much more spacious and it looks about a million times better. Good horsepower, torque and fuel economy in a versatile, nice-sized package.
    It's sized for someone who needs more room than the small wagon/hatchbacks (Matrix,Vibe,P5) but doesn't want a bloated, so-called "mini"van.
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    As much as I'd like to see it here, it looks like comments by Mitsubishi executives show that they think the American market wouldn't be receptive to it. I still think it would do better in Canada, and since the CEO of Mitsubishi NA is Canadian, he should know better.

http://europe.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=52711&a=a&am- p;bt=Grandis
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    should have bring this over instead of the lancer wagon
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    What I meant was the Grandis is the same exact concept as the Expo, just bigger and more refined (just like every car after 10 years of development). The Expo offered 6 passenger seating, a versatile interior, swing out side doors, and a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, just like the Grandis. It was a neat idea and way ahead of its time. They should bring the Grandis over instead of the Lancer wagon. But since they have the Lancer wagon, they won't see a need for the Grandis. They are probably afraid to bring it over after the dismal sales of the Expo compared to the Expo LRV Sport (the 5 passenger version).
    car executives are idiots.
    I agree! The Grandis should come! I want a four conventional doors wagon/minivan whatever. I loved the old Odyssey, but didn't want one because I wanted more power from the little four cylinder.
    As long as they keep the weight down, the Grandis should have a good combination of power and fuel economy. I prefer the conventional doors as well, together with the lower, sportier profile. Has all the benefits of a minivan and wagon rolled into one (without the stigma of either!)
    all the suburban moms won't let their husbands haven anything that's a bit smaller like the grandis and sporty looking. what would the neighbor wives say?
    Next door, drives a Blazer, "Wow! How much did it cost? I don't care about fuel economy, all I care about is that I drive a Blazer that's bigger than your car! HA! HA!"

the other neighbor, drives an Odyssey, "Wow. I bought an Odyssey because I was concerned about those mamoth SUVs running me over if I bought that Taurus wagon. Interesting car. Wonder if my husband wants one."

Across the Street, drives an Excursion and an MPV, "I'm afraid you'll get run over by someone who drives a Hummer. Interesting car though. I may sell my MPV for one."

Best friend, drives a Pontiac Vibe, " Nice. Now I don't need my Ford Explorer to carry friends. I'll just buy a Grandis and get rid of the Vibe. What a great little car this is!"
    And that's what the neighbors might say.
    ...the Grandis isn't all that little! It's about the size of a Murano, minus an inch in height and a couple in width; or about the same as an MPV minus about 4" in height. It's a bit bigger than the Stream/Wish (which are virtually the same size as each other). If Mitsubishi wants to promote it like the rest of their vehicles, they can promote the fact that with the Grandis, you can bring along even more of your cool friends for the ride!
    I still can't believe that its the size of a Murano. the Murano looks so much larger and heavier.
    Here are the dimensions in inches:
    (L/W/H/WB)
    Murano:187.6/74/66.5/111.2
    Grandis:187.2/70.7/65.1/111.4
    MPV:188.4/72.1/69.1/111.8
    1stGen Ody:190.7/70.86/64.17/111.4
    Stream:179.1/66.7/62.6/107
    Wish:179.1/66.7/62.6/108.3

I was a little off on the width...Murano is over 3" wider, but other than that, it's pretty close.
    Did Toyota benchmark the Stream or what!?
    The Grandis is 8" longer and 4" taller and wider than the Stream/Wish with an extra 4-5" in the wheelbase as well. I don't think you can call it a tiny car (unless you're comparing it to an Excursion!) but it's plenty big enough for our needs. Hopefully, it's a little lean in the weight department......haven't seen any curb weight figures as of yet.
    Some mommies who have 1 kid say they need that Excursion. (Which makes everything else look tiny besides Hummers)
    Not much help if you can't read Japanese, but you can check out the pix!
    http://www.carview.co.jp/express_new/grandis/index.asp
    clearly this 'van' has the goods to compete in the US. The Interior itself is even nicer than the new Quest van interms of design.

Maybe if they brought it to the US though, they would have to convert the rear doors to slide open type.

I despise vans but this one could convince me to buy one. This and the Toyota Wish to me are like larger Pontiac Vibes.
    I don't need or want a van, but occasionaly would like to carry 5-6 people in relative comfort. My wife likes a higher driving position than is available in a regular car but we don't want a large sport-ute either. The Suzuki XL-7's rear-most seat is a bit too small and it's gas mileage is nothing special either. A stretched Vibe-Matrix-Aerio in a six passenger version (2+2+2) such as the Grandis/Wish/Latitude/Touran/Mazda4
    (the list keeps getting longer!) would be ideal.
    Hey. The list is growing! The Subaru Traviq looks nice. When is it comin'? (That mom driving that Excursion better look out. She's gonna wanna Mercedes Unimog.)
    From AutoExpress:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/previews_story.php?id=37489
    Generally favourable although weight (3500 lbs) and roominess were issues. W.r.t. roominess, they seem to be comparing it with the Ford Galaxy (VW Sharan) which is a step up from the Wish/Latitude sized vehicles. Anyway, it'll be nice to see Honda's response to the Grandis when they get around to redesigning the Stream/Latitude.
    Will Ford and VW bring the Sharan and Galaxy over? Also, does anyone have an order form for that mommy driving an Excursion who wants a Mercedes Benz Unimog? Excursion drivers, after seeing these, will probably trade up into a Hummer or an Unimog. (Why? who knows)
    According to Ward's, Mitsubishi couldn't make a case for bringing us the Grandis sportvan or the Colt subcompact......too bad, but there's a glimmer of hope we may get the Honda Latitude and hopefully the Jazz as well. Mazda's MPV is currently the only player for those of us who want a true MINI-van (as opposed to the MAXI-van Grand Caravan, Odyssey, Sienna, Quest etc.) Too bad the MPV's fuel efficiency is actually worse than some of those Maxi's mentioned.
    Grandis: Case Closed (Boo Hoo)
    Latitude: who knows?
    Wish: probably dead.
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    That will probably not be the design if Mitsu. decides to bring the Grandis to America.
    At one end we have 5-seaters like PT Cruiser, Vibe, Matrix, etc., and then there's a big jump to maxivans. If the big car companies can offer 4-5 different sizes of SUVs, why can't they offer more in the van range? I guess that's not where the profits are.

I see that I'm stuck with my 1st Gen Honda Odyssey for a while longer than I thought.
    Automakers see the profit in SUVs, but not in Minivans. Obviously they haven't paid a visit to Edmunds Town hall recently- otherwise we'd have Honda rushing the Latitude, Toyota shipping Wish's as fast as they can, Mitsubishi Grandis preorder forms at dealers, and Ford Galaxies sitting on the Ford lot. Also, The Volkswagen pair (Sharan/Touran) would be on their way on a cargo carrier ASAP. How dumb are carmakers these days? odman- hold on to that first gen Odyssey- You'll need it longer. Maybe another 7 years.
    Even GM could get in on the game with it's Opel Zafira, and Nissan could bring over a rebadged Renault Scenic.

At least my Ody is a Honda, so it should last that long!
    A few more gas spikes like the ones in the last couple of weeks may help increase the demand!

Steve, Host
    Good point -- here in Canada we're used to higher prices, but it just hit $.83/litre in Toronto after a few months of hovering around $.72. Seems like they are taking advantage of the blackout situation and the manic reaction of everyone to go and fill every possible container with gas.

One part of me hopes the prices will come back down, but another part hopes that it will inspire people to start looking at the really good small car and small van offerings that are out there or should be made available.
    the mitsubishi grandis looks like it'll never make it to the states. high gasoline prices have forced me to rethink trading in that honda civic for a lexus es300, which is larger and gulps premium gasoline. That's why we have the prius for now, and hopefully the hybrid minivan toyota promised for 2005 three years back in the USA Today. they promised to bring the Estima hybrid over to the states for more fuel efficent choices in the automotive market and to boost up their CAFE ratings. now they're promising a sienna hybrid- not likely unless honda beats them bringing an odyssey hybrid over here. then the hybrid market could really take off and almost everyone would have a hybrid garage! Sure beats using hydrogen that gets very low fuel economy. (and high costs to make the hydrogen from solar)
This discussion has been closed.