Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• fourseasfourseas Member Posts: 15
    Get over It!- What is your hang-up on pure leather. Are you buying a Mercedes or BMW. This material is far superior to pure leather- it breathes and clean-up is a snap. Get a LS if you are are not satisfied!
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    the '04 had no side airbags. The curtains came in the 1SB power package. The '05s have side thorax airbags in addition to the curtains. The '05's also have a standard spoiler on the roof of the car which mandated adding a standard rear wiper as well. I'm personally glad I have the '04 since the wiper is NOT necessary. I can only give you my city mileage since I have not done extensive highway cruising: 22, 21, 20, 22, 23, 24 have been my city only mileage so far.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I consistently get 28.5 to 30.5 on the highway.
    Above 75 mph the mpg takes a hit. I'm always above 21 mpg around town. I get a little less when RI switches to the winter gas. Usually about 1.5 mpg less. I have the side curtains.

You can go to the Chevrolet web site and view the 2005 MAXX and read all the option packages.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Appreciate the posts. Now I understand the 04 vs 05 differences. Only Saturn to my knowledge offers head curtains but no side air bags. Not sure what the safety data would show, if anything in terms of it being an issue. The rebates on the 04s are very tempting unless they do the same for the 05s in the winter when sales typically slow down. Anyone know if these are selling well or sitting on the lots? MPGs seem to be very competitive with most 4 cylinder cars. Anyone with any experience putting a standard sized adult bike in the rear with either both wheels on or just the front wheel off?
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    Mpgman-

My best mpg was 32.8. This was cruising mostly in the 65mph area, and included a limited amount of stop/go traffic.

In my usual commute, I'm running a consistent 28.5mpg. This includes 65 miles of cruise (at 65 & 75) and 20 miles of freeway parking lot (Seattle grid lock) each way. If there are no traffic back-ups, Maxx will do over 30mpg.

My Galaxy Silver LS Maxx will be two weeks old tomorrow, and 1900+ miles. The more I drive it, the more I like it!

I've just started to "exercise" the 200hp engine. What a change from my 110hp '87 Accord. Maxx MOVES. And is bigger, quieter, and smoother.

MadMaxx
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    The IVC *is* a legit extra $500. It came off the bottom of the pricing, right after the $3500 rebate. Then, my GM Card points followed that.

My earnings were $1185. I almost fell off the chair when the salesman got off the phone and said "Hey, you just made $1000!". Turns out the program had just kicked in...the next day, after I drove home in the new Maxx, there was a flyer in my mailbox announcing the bonus program.

My total savings: $3500 rebate + $500 IVC + $1185 GM Card earnings + 1000 GM Card bonus = $6185

P.S. According to my dealer, only certain dealerships get the IVC coupons. It depends on their previous volume of sales, customer satisfaction indexes, etc.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I've had my 04 LS for only 2 days now, but I've been driving it every chance I get. :-)

Your questions 1 - 3 have been answered here, but regarding gas mileage my trip computer so far shows about 25 MPG when driven around town and 31 MPG on a a short, local expressway drive of about 15 miles each way.
    mpgman: I ride my bike to work everyday. I tried loading it into the cargo area, but found it to be too big of a hassle on my back, and a quick way to scratch up the bumper. Therefore, I went and got a hitch and bike rack put on. Having the hitch gives the car numerous options such as carrying bikes, or using it for a cargo shelf to haul heavy and dirty items back and forth from the store.
  • limingliming Member Posts: 22
    I have seen in the forum to avoid the maxx produced Jan-March.

Is there anyone know any detail about this?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the early production models ahve two recalls against them...and an issue with a howling sound during shifting..caused by resonnance with one gear in the transmission......might was built in Feb....and have had the recall work done....and havent noticed the howling sound..some owners have complained about during acceleration and shifting first to second....I believe that is the major issues for the early models...
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I test drove an 04 Maxx LT on Saturday and walked away very impressed. It had plenty of pep, a nice smooth ride, and maneuverable handling. Not to mention the huge rear seat and long list of luxury features. The large rebates make it possible for me to trade my car in that has negative equity. I have a few detail questions that I'm hoping current owners can help me with.

I noticed the small push light in the hatch area. Is this bright enough to see in the hatch at night? Does the regular dome light turn on when opening the hatch? I find it so odd Chevy didn't put a real cargo light in such an expensive car.

Does the car have an audible alarm if the door/hood/hatch is forced open or only a passive immobilizer system? Does the car chirp the horn or only flash the lights when locking with the remote?

How do people feel the AC works? The car I drove seemed to take an awfully long time to cool down the car and I'm disappointed they didn't put any rear AC vents for the limo rear seat (it was stifling hot in the back seat). After the 10 minute test drive, it still wasn't cool inside the car. Granted, I live in Florida so it was hot and humid out, but the AC still seemed weak. The car was red with neutral interior by the way. Any thoughts on this from other southern climate folks?

I live on a dirt road and am worried about the lack of a rear wiper. Does anyone live in a similar situation and can comment on how clean the window stays? I really think I'm gonna kick myself for not getting an 05 but the lack of rebates makes that impossible. All hatches should have a rear wiper!! Shame on Chevy for making this mistake on the 04. Does the front wipers have a single wipe "mist" feature and does the intermittent have multiple settings?

Lastly, I've never bought an American car and am used to cars with nice long warranties. I'm leery of taking a plunge on a GM car in its first year, though this Malibu seems to be doing much better then the 97 model. Would it be prudent to buy an extended warranty or is it a waste of money? How much should I expect to pay for a GM protection plan for maybe 5/60k or 7/75k?

Thanks for any and all insight!
  • walletwallet Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for the explanation.

1) From here and other forums, it seems that only certain GMcard holders got that extra $1K. I've spoken with Card Mkting Support a few times over the past few weeks about getting a few extra Reward $s, and every time, they used the phrase "this account" (does not show any offers currently). We used up all our earnings ($3200+) back in June on a Tahoe, so I can kinda see why we never got the offer. No soup for me, other than the $75 we earned since June.

2) the IVC was in the fine print in two ads in northern NJ, but when we got up to MA to buy our car, the was no mention in any ads.

FWIW (for the poll), I'm 42 and my wife is 38; the boys are 5 and 3. First choice of color was medium gray (which we got, LS with 1SB); second choice was silver. Primary selling points of the Maxx: legroom, bang/features for the buck, legroom, Espilon, legroom....

LS with 1SB: final cost was 15,8 (after MUCH negotiating) since they had to bring it in from elsewhere.....
    let me see if I can help with the questions here..I have an LT just as you described with all the options except the multi disk CD player and the heater block...so here goes;

the rear cargo light works well and yes the dome light comes on when you lift the hatch..the rear cargo light is problematic depending on where you place the rear cargo deck/platform.

I believe the alarm is just an immoblizer system and you can set the horn to beep chirp when you unlock and lock the car..all done from the center computer console.

I find the AC to work well..set the auto function and temp on 70 and it cools rapidly for me..I cant speak for the rear seats..as there is seldom people back there....I find the front comfortable after just a few minutes...living in northern va here.

The 04 hatch remains very clean at speeds above 30...this is the first hatchback/SUV that I have owned where the rear window actually stays clear without a wiper...as for the dirt road...can't add anymore..but I can say at highway speed in a driving rain..the rear window is clear!. They added a "spoiler" to the 05 Maxx and as a result had to add the wiper in order to keep the rear window clean. The wipers do have a mist function and multiple speed settings

Extended warranties are a customers choice, shop around prices vary by dealer..and GM plan is a GM plan regardless of what dealer you purchase it from. I'll have to go back and find the website of a GM dealer that had the best prices I could find....the price also depends on the deductible you may choose, I have also purchased one based on how long I intend to the keep the car..if more that 5 years I purchase one, as I have done for my past three vehicles.....hope all helps...
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Let's see if I can help any...my wife drives the car a lot more than I do...

The light in the hatcth area is OK...it would be nicer if it was a bit brighter or there was another one on the other side...I don't know if the dome light goes on or not...I'll have to check when I get home...

Not sure about the audible alarm...I believe there is one...I believe the lights flash and the horn chirps...

The AC in my car has been fine. There is a small button with a snowflake next to it that needs to be pressed IN (a small indicator light will come on) for the AC to be ON. If the button is not pressed in, you are just running the fan. We have had some hot days lately and I haven't had to turn the dial past 2 to get the car cooled off. Also, the top set of front vents are made to cool the back of the car...seems like a long way to travel to get to the back, but my kids have never complained about the heat back there.

Back window has not been a problem for me...but I don't have dirt road concerns...Not sure about the single mist feature, but pretty sure there are multiple intermittent settings...

We went with the standard warranty on our car, but I think we were quoted a decent monthly rate ($10 or so) to extend to 6 year/60K miles. Can you purchase an extended warranty AFTER the original expires? I need to look into that.
    here is the URL for the best prices I have found on the GM extended warranty plans..call or email them for a quote....you can purchase one at standard prices for one year or 12K whichever comes first...

http://www.capperautocenter.com/
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The other folks did a good job but here is my input:

Cargo light? - Nothing really to add. If I had to guess I would say that the dome lamp does not come on when liftgate is opened but I haven't been in a Maxx for a while.

Audible Alarm - The vehicle has standard vehicle antitheft system (Passkey 3 Plus) - what you call the passive immobilizer. Also for vehicles with remote keyless entry the vehicle has a basic "Content" theft system which will honk horn and flash lights when any door or rear liftgate is opened without using unlocking first using key in driver door, key in trunk (on sedan) or RKE fob. This feature doesn't arm itself unless you lock the doors. I think it also will trigger if the hood is opened under those conditions if your vehicle has the remote start option.

You can control whether you want lights to flash and horn to chirp when using Remote Keyless fob with the personalization features of the Driver Information Center. I think default is that the lamps flash but the horn chirp on first button press is off.

The remote start system is available to help with vehicle cool down and heat up although doesn't really answer your question. If you get a vehicle with automatic climate control the system goes into a special remote start mode depending on inside temperatur of vehicle.

Airflow over the liftgate showed a rear wiper was not required for the 2004 but with the optional rear spoiler in 2005 a rear wiper was added because it is necessary because the spoiler messes up the airflow.

The wipers have a mist feature. Momentary position with right stalk down. Intermittent has 5 different settings. On top of that the delay time decreases based on vehicle speed!!
    wow, you guys did great in answering his questions. Pao: thanks for posting the capper site; he'll be glad you did.
    Jonathan: definitely get the '04 if you can. The rear wiper is merely to cover up the mistake of puting on a spoiler in the first place. The air flows much better over the window on the '04 and keeps the window clean. I have a wiper on my Vibe and can't stand it. It may be nice in the area that the blade sweeps, but it does nothing for the other 50% of the rear window. Also, I don't believe the thorax air bags are worth waiting for the '05. Head curtain are made to protect from SUV drivers! Give Capper a call at the site that Paul posted. You will have up to 12/12,000 to get the new car extended warranty price.
    Jim,,,what time for lunch tommorrow...1130 or 1200
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The National Insurance Insitute claimed The 2004 Malibu did ok in side crashes with its head curtain bags, but poorly without them.

There have been four 2004 recalls I know of... safety belts, air bag stickers, power steering (very early runs) and ABS brake recalibration. My Maxx had three of them (steering was ok).

All the interior lights go on as well as the rear cargo light when the rear hatch is opened.

The 2005 spoiler was added as a marketing "styling enhancement", and unfortunately that required adding a rear wiper to clean up the mess it makes of the rear window.

There may be better trim fit and alignment in the 2005 (2004 rear trim was pretty crummy), and possibly less "jiggle" from the rear suspension (the 2004 version tends to be very compliant fore and aft).

2005's may offer an SS package so one can get oversize 17" wheels, a sport suspension, and be lower to the ground.

Mileage on my LS Maxx has been around 24 - 26 with a mixture of overcrowded LA freeways and surface streets.
    11:30 Paul. Thanks for the flexibility.
    Matt: you are welcome to join us since we'll be across the street from your condo, unless you are up in NYC doing you know what.
    Watch out everyone in the east: we're all about to get free car washes for our Maxx's with all the tropical storms out there.
    Jim,

got it..will be interesting to compare cars....see ya tommorrow...and to think I washed mine yesterday..LOL
    Thanks for all the great responses! I'm currently taking an overnight test drive and have some new questions that need to be resolved fast. Hopefully ya'll can be just as helpful.

This Maxx was built in February and has 120 miles. I assume at least 2 recalls will pertain to it so I'm wondering if the recalls are done by the dealer before they sell the car? Am I crazy to take such an early build? Should I be worried about the tranny moan? The car seems solid and there are no rattles or shakes. However, one of the rear sunshades is hanging down a couple inches below the other when retracted. I assume its broke because it shouldn't do this right? I also noticed a light scratching sound when rotating the steering wheel from lock to lock quickly. Anyone else hear this? I also noticed that when opening the hatch with the remote while leaving the rest of the car closed up, no interior lights came on, so I guess it's not supposed to (still find it odd).

So far, I'm loving the ride and all the features. I like how all the switches light up at night and its cool that you can run the fog lights without having the headlights on. But, good lord, what is with the stupid orange MPH indicator light?? Has anyone figured out a way to get rid of it? The gas and temp gauges are rather tiny. I thought I wouldn't care about the DVD player, but in reality it is the coolest option. Great picture quality and it has surround sound when played through the stereo. Combine that with the roomy reclining rear seats, and its like your own portable family room. I love it! I think I want this car but part of me is still really worried about GM quality on an early build car.

I must say, I've been very impressed so far with my salesman and dealer. They have been straight forward and a pleasure to deal with. The best sales service I've encountered after buying 5 new cars in the past 4 years. Of course, buying a car on the last day of the month is probably helping their attitude. Wish me luck in trying to get their price down a little more!
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I have had my dark grey Maxx Lt since early April, and just turned 13,000 miles. Very pleased with the vehicle. As I have said on previous posts, have been rather spoiled with the likes of 99 RX 300 and 2001 Acura MDX (but not with the 2003 Buick RVD--I hated that car!)

Great gas mileage. On straight highway driving averaging between 29 and 31 mpg. Don't do much exclusive city driving but in those weeks I haven't gone on any long trips, just short stuff with kids, shopping, etc., only one time did I average less than 23 mpg. First time I have ever had a car that actually exceeds the gas mileage on the sticker!

Only a few complaints--the avg mpg on computer consistently reads 1.5 to 3 mpg higher than actual. The "t" next to the "l" on the trunk fell off, but otherwise very pleased with the vehicle. Unfortunatlely, I purchased at a time when the rebate was only $1000 & the dealer only knocked off $1600 of the list of $25,600 so I ended up paying $24,000 & financing for three years at 0 percent rather than take the rebate. Sure, got the dealer to thrown in 5 oil changes & satellite radio, so maybe a total value of $400 or so. If I had waited would have done much better.

Although I haved put Rain X on back windshield that has not been necessary and I have not missed the rear wiper I am used to on other vehicles.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    AC seems more than adequate, I have had no problem with rear shades (I leave them open all the time) Just had the tires rotated a second time today & so far, minimal wear on the pads & rotors. With all the high mileage I do, I did purchase the best GM extended warranty I could. Dealer wanted $1700 or so & I ended up buying one for $1300. No deductible & got 100,000 miles for three years. I too, like others concerned about first year for this vehicle & I would imagine with all those miles something bound to go wrong.

Looks like today could buy the same vehicle for $3000 - $4000 less. I thought I got a good deal for $24,000 at the time. All the features including flexibility of rear seating & hatchback. Much more room in the back than in the Impala which was other vehicle I was considering. Besides, all you see these days are those Impalas on the road. In four months now, with all the driving I do, I have only seen 3 or 4 other Maxx's on the road. Where are they all hiding???
    I have an early build car as well..Mar 04 and have no problems with it and yes I did test the hatch lid yesterday and the interior lights do not come on, just the rear cargo light...If in doubt about the recall corrections ask to see the service record for the car, it should be reflected on it for the ABS computer recalibration and the seat belt clip at the point of attachment to the frame.

The MPH indicator is there because in the driver control console you can also convert to Kilometers per hour and kilometers traveled..when you do that the KPH vs the MPH lights up...I dont honestly find it a distraction

Havent noticed a scratching sound in the steering column, however I believe that another recall was replacement of the column in very early production runs and the rear sun shades...ugh...we have all complained about that feature, probably the most poorly engineered item on the car..I keep my retracted and simply dont use them because they dont stay latched!!
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Did you guys notice that the intermittent wipers on the Malibu are speed sensitive? I think that's a pretty neat feature. We got a lot of rain this past weekend, and I was reminded of how cool that feature is.

GM officially (although we've known it for about a year) announced that Fairfcax will build a new Saturn midsize car alongside the Malibus. I haven't seen the styling on the car, but I'm sure anything would be an improvement for Saturn.
    The rear sunshades should stay flush with the mounting point on both sides when retracted right? The passenger side shade won't fully retract and hangs down as if its stretched. Anyone encounter this? I plan on having the salesman get them to either fix it or order me a new one as I'm signing for the car.
    they should fully retract into the window frame....get the dealer to fix that.....but as mentioned..they are worthless while the car is moving..roll the window down and they will snap open, or they simply get heated up the plastic becomes flexible and the latch simply lets go and it snaps back........a bad engineering design....complain loud and often about this one to the dealer and to the Chevy assistance center online!!!
  • walletwallet Member Posts: 38
    Agree about complaining to Chevy, but one poster mentioned that he's already recieved a letter from Chevy saying that Chevy is currently working on the problem and will notify owners as soon as they figure out a fix. So there is hope..........
  • jmax4jmax4 Member Posts: 22
    I am going to remind GM the rear shades problem again today. Otherwise, my car was built in Jan. 2004 and I bought it in Feb, besides the shades, some rattles and squeaks no other problems so far.
    I also have an extended warranty, just in case.
    well, I had a great lunch with pao.....that was until he took my Maxx out for some donuts in the parking lot and smashed into a Hummer just for the heck of it.....he, he, he...
    but seriously, we went for a spin in pao's car, and I observed the following:

his has the same transmission harmonics between 1st and 3rd gear as mine (therefore normal)
    his temp guage at normal is one tick above the half way line (therefore normal)
    his a/c light stays on when the heat is on and the defrost setting is selected (therefore normal)
    his engine does have a slight "shake" to it (therefore normal pushrod experience)

All in all, if nothing else, we have a new Maxx club (of 2) in the northern VA area.
    agree...and I complained heavily with the Chevy customer assistance site....they noted it would probably be a engineering change..meaning I bet we never see a fix in the 04 models....have to check and see if they same latch system or lack there of is in the 05 models.....you would think there would be an easy fix..but again..the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so let them hear about it again!!!....pleasure to meet you Jim, glad to compare models and owners experiences...cheers!
    My build date was January and took delivery March 8th. I had the recall for seat belts and ABS reprogram. The air bag stickers had a label stuck over the original which I promply peeled off.

lngtonge18 the dealer should be able to bring your vehicle up on the computer and see the recalls are closed or open. It will also be available on the GMLINK.

I have not had a steering problem.

I am very happy with my MAXX and would recommend the vehicle. I would not recommend the dealer. I will be looking for another dealer for future service.
    Hmmm,

I have seen bulletin #04-08-110-004A which adds a reinforcement. It said parts were supposed to be available August 12 so maybe you can check with your dealer on that information.
    I have 500 miles on my car now. I am very pleased with Maxx.

I drove it on high way faster a bit today. I can feel the gear shift around 60 MPH then drove to 70 MPH for 3 seconds.

Is it normal that Maxx would shift gear at 60MPG?
    were you on a flat road or was the car pulling up a hill....you will find that a moderate hill even under cruise control will cause the car to downshift at highway speed to maintain your cruise setting...if you were on a flat road the shifting seems to be a bit odd...unless you were giving it a hard acceleration for passing etc.
    I was on the flat highway trying to pass another car by push the acceleration all the way down. According to the maxx operation manual. It will [non-permissible content removed] to next gear to give it more power.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That is normal.
    all normal for the trans to downshift...
    BTW, There was alos ding ding ding sound like warning when I am over 60 MPH.
    now the sound is a new one..do you get a warning chime...did you over rev the enginer perhaps.....will have to look at my owners manual now
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I've never heard of a car dinging after hitting 60mph. And I doubt your over revving the engine because the computer won't let the transmission wait that long to shift, and it also won't let the engine itself over rev (or at least shouldn't). Does the DIC say anything when it dings?
    Maybe you forgot to turn off your turn signal and it happened to start chiming then :p

Somewhere is the 70 MPH range export vehicles to Middle East have an overspeed warning requirement but I don't think you live in Saudi Arabia (LOL).

If you had a Driver Info Center Message pop up it would give you 3 DINGS - might have been that also. Low fuel or something else
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Yes, the info display panel, which is very difficult to read in sunlight, will cause chimes to occur if it displays warnings like ignored flashing turn signals or low on gas or rear hatch ajar.

For those with rattles in the back, take a close look at the trim on the hatch and lightly press it against the hatch frame. If you hear squeaks, the fasteners are rubbing against the aluminum the hatch is made out of. I minimized mine by removing the trim, covering its metal fasteners with packing tape, and reinstalling the trim. You can also lessen rattles from the cargo shelf by rotating the rubber bumpers on their shafts every so often.

One GM engineer suggested to me that to get the best out of the cruise control when driving through hills, leave the Transmission in third. This minimizes the transmission hunting that occurs in 4th.

If climbing an increasing grade, The transmission, if in 4th gear without cruise control, should shift into a "proportional" mode with varying degrees of torque converter slip before it actually jumps back into 3rd. Most of the time it's so smooth you have to be watching tach/listening to motor to know it's happening.
    I wasn't able to seal the deal on Monday. The dealer got close to what I needed but couldn't quite get there. I must say it was fun to have the dealer try so hard for my business instead of me stressing over trying to get the right deal. I've decided to wait another year and get an 05 Maxx instead. That way I can be less upside down on my current loan. Plus, I don't have to deal with 1st year bugs and get the added convienence of the rear wiper and added safety of 2 more airbags.

I know most people here don't feel the need for a rear wiper, but in my case its a necessity. I don't have a garage so living on a dirt road means every morning my car has a layer of moisture and dust covering the windows. The only simple way to clear it is to have a rear wiper. My driving is also 100% city/suburban traffic so I would never get fast enough to use aerodynamics to my benefit. One of the things I can't stand is to have an obstructed rear view. So I think the 05 model will be perfect for me. I just hope they have the same big rebates.
  • morrirumorriru Member Posts: 7
    This might sound odd, but I was hoping to maybe find some dealers on here. I'm looking to trade in my '04 Maxx. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the car, but it is my first car, and I am just NOT a car person. Does anyone here have any idea what kind of trade value I might be able to get on an '04 LT with every option with about 4900 miles? I'd like to go back to an SUV like the Equinox, Vue, Tribute, or Escape if anyone has any advice on those either. Thanks
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What advantage do those SUV's have?
  • morrirumorriru Member Posts: 7
    Well I've always had trucks (coming from small town Arkansas). I just got use to sitting up high, and I don't really like sitting that low. I bought the car becuase it was supposed to get much better gas mileage. Well driving now in downtown DC, it is stop and go, stop and go. I don't really get the benefit of the better gas mileage. I'm only getting like 18-20 miles per gallon. If that is going to be the case, I would rather have the advantages that I liked of the SUV's==>higher seating, AWD, etc.
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Don't jump too fast to trade your nice new Maxx. The first year depreciation on your Maxx will probably cost you at least a third of the original price. That's a lot of loss for one year's use.
    I've got both a Maxx and an '02 Jeep Liberty Sport. While sitting up tall is nice sometimes, my SUV gets me about 12-13 MPG in stop and go commutes while my Maxx gets me 18-20 MPG. On highways, the Maxx is good for at least 29 MPG as compared to 20 for the Jeep. For me, with a 22 mile round trip stop and go commute it's the difference between filling up the tank once or twice a week. Add to that the toys like OnStar, XM and the DVD player, and I tend to take the Maxx more often than not. Now, in a bad winter storm, give me the Jeep every time, but that's maybe a total of two weeks a year of ice and snow. If I had to give up one vehicle or the other, I'm sure I'd keep the Maxx! Of course, this is JMHO, and I could be wrong (but I doubt it).